Hornet Captains Photo by Bryan Garde
Story by Ann Hinkle
This past Wednesday was the first 'Fighting Hornets Sports Buzz' at Wings & Rings in Monroe. The Monroe Athletic Booster Club and Touchdown Club host the Wednesday night event, and this was a huge success!
Read: MABC Issue 23
This is a live show, and Tim Kellis emcees the evening:
- Coach Meibers recapping the previous game; show films.
- Interview of a second Varsity Coach
- Recognize the male and female athletes of the week
- Re-cap results from the week's Hornet sporting events
- Preview the week's upcoming sporting events in Hornet Land
- Brief re-cap of collegiate players' performances
- Interview Coach Meibers on the scouting report for Friday night's opponent
• The following schedule lets you know who will be in the Kellis’ hot seat:
September 9 Football & Golf
September 16 Football & Girls Soccer
September 23 Football & Boys Soccer
September 30 Football & Volleyball
October 7 Football & Tennis
October 14 Football & Cross Country
October 21 Football & Cheerleading
October 28 Football & Dave Bauer
Read the Tim Kellis Hornet Game Recap
• Football: It had been four years since Monroe High School’s football team had defeated Valley View, and coach Ken Meibers made sure his Hornets knew it. Monroe responded with what the coach termed a “total team effort” to pound the visiting Spartans 41-26 on Friday night, Sept. 11. “We used that as motivation this week a bit. Tonight we played a complete game. Offense, defense, special teams ... each of them came through tonight for us. This is a great win for us,” Meibers said.
• Boys Soccer: MONROE 4, BADIN 0: Monroe remained undefeated with a 4-0 shutout of host Badin on Saturday, Sept. 12. Nick Braden, Jake Essig, Zach Eckert and Alex Mitchell each had one goal. Patrick McIntosh and Chase Collins combined in goal for the shutout for the Hornets.
• Girls Soccer: MONROE 7, ROSS 3: Makenzie Sullivan scored four goals in leading Monroe to a nonleague win over host Ross on Saturday, Sept. 12. Jazmine Wells had two goals, and Taylor Lambert added another for the Hornets (5-3-1). Reagan Taulbee recorded 13 saves in goal.
• Golf: MONROE FIFTH AT WAYNESVILLE INVITE: Logan Rutter and Jamie Lentz each carded 78 to place fourth and fifth respectively. Hornets were fifth at 351.
About The Hornet Boosters
The mission of the Monroe Athletic Booster Club (MABC) is to facilitate and promote the activities of the Monroe High School's sports programs. MABC will work with the coaches and administration to support the athletic program by providing funds, boosting attendance, building morale and providing an enjoyable healthy environment for the student-athletes. MABC will be responsible for raising funds required to meet the club's objectives.