Hornet Sports News for the week of 2/12/2006:
· If you're interested in attending any tournament basketball games, you can purchase tickets at the school Monday - Friday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Presale tickets are $5.00 and $6.00 at the door.
· Congratulations to Nicole Brehm for winning the Sectional 1-meter diving competition held at Mason High School this past weekend! Her total score was 403.80. And, congrats to Megan Kennedy for placing 38th in the 50 yd. free.
· Kudos to the Girls basketball team for winning their 1st tournament game against Twin Valley South (57-22). They will play Waynesville next Wednesday @ 7:30 in Wilmington. Going into the tourney, the team was 4th in the league; and their MML record was 7/5, while their overall record was 11/9.
· The Boys basketball team is 5th in the MML with a record of 3/8 in the MML South and 9/10 overall. They have 2 home games this weekend, and they play their first tournament game next week.
· Congrats to Jimmy Petrie for winning 3rd place in the MML wrestling championships held at Stebbins! He competed in the 119 lb. weight class and defeated Tobias Deardorff from Edgewood.
· Monroe finished 7th at the 12-team Dixie Wrestling Tournament in New Lebanon. Results include:
1. Jimmy Petrie 1st 119 lb. class
2. Scott Schenck 3rd 189 lb. class
3. Bobby Kelley 3rd Heavyweight class
4. Zach Bush 5th 215 lb. Class
· Below are comments from Skip Weaver's MML Insider column this week:
1. Top boys candidates: "Despite Monroe's 9-10 record this season, sophomore Tyler Osterman has to be a strong candidate for player of the year in the South. He is the only player in either division to score more than 400 points so far, and he leads the league in scoring average with 23.9 points per game."
2. MML swimmers fare: "In the Division II girls diving sectional, Monroe's Nicole Brehm was crowned champion with a score of 403.8."
3. 20 years later: "For the first time since 1986, Monroe will host a track meet. The Justin Brittain Invitational will be April 8 at the new Hornets sports complex. There are currently eight teams scheduled to compete in the meet."
· If you're interested in volunteering at the April track meet, contact the athletic department or Coach Chad Murphy.
· Mark your calendars: the Booster Club will meet Wednesday, March 15th @ 7:00 in the Media Center.