Hornet Sports News for the week of 2/27/2006:
· Mark your calendars: the Booster Club will meet Wednesday, March 15th @ 7:00 in the Media Center. Hall of Fame subteam members Dutch Collins, Jane Murphy, Stacey Williams-Deaton and Scott Triick will present a proposed program.
· Sophomore Nicole Brehm placed 2nd in the Division II girls state diving championships. Her score was 409.75. She moved up one spot from her last year's 3rd place finish. According to coach Diane Wilson, Nicole has only been competing in the 1-meter springboard for two years. A quote from the Journal: 'While Brehm is excited about her runner-up finish, there is no rest in preparing to go all the way next season. "Practice starts Saturday," Brehm said.' Congratulations to Nicole for a great season and for representing Monroe!
· Jimmy Petrie (119) and Travis Combs (171) claimed individual weight class championships in the Division III Sectional meet. They advanced to the district meet where they lost their matches. Monroe placed 10th at the Sectional meet. Congrats to all for a fine season!
· The Girls basketball team ended its season in 3rd place in the MML South with a league record of 7-5 and an overall record of 11-9. Congratulations to those listed below who made the MML All-League South teams:
1. 1st team Bethany Davidson
2. 2nd team Sara Rossi & Amy Triick
3. Honorable Mention Chelsea Thompson
· Kudos to the Boys basketball team for earning the most wins in a season since 1994 (10-11). They ended the season in 5th place with a record of 4-8. Sophomore Tyler Osterman was named to the 2005-2006 Division III All-Southwest District first team - an impressive achievement. Congrats to those listed below who made the MML All-League South teams:
4. 1st team Tyler Osterman
5. 2nd team Jared Ferguson
6. Honorable Mention Mike Majors
· If you're interested in volunteering at the April track meet, contact the athletic department or Coach Chad Murphy.