Hornet Sports News from this week:
· Kudos to Junior Nicole Brehm for placing in three categories at the AAU National Diving Competition, held in early August @ Mission Viejo, California! Nicole competed against 16-19 year olds, and placed 3rd in the 3 meter, 5th in the 1 meter & 5th in platform. Divers represented 52 teams, and there were anywhere from 30-82 competitors in each event. This qualified her to join the national level team for the China training trip that takes place at the end of this month. During this 2 week trip, beginning August 31, Nicole will also compete in a small international competition against the China and Canada teams. Good luck, Nicole!
· Results from recent competitions:
1. The Boys Soccer team won its season opener against Fenwick, it's nemesis, 3-1! Robby Hendrickson scored twice and had an assist, and Troy Jones had the other goal. Matt Wagers and Chandler Hymer both had an assist. Goalie Max Hesson had 17 saves to help his team win.
2. The Golf team won their matches against National Trail (167-189) and Belmont (175-230). Brandon Stanton was medalist with a 39 against National Trail and lead Monroe with a 38 against Belmont. Dylan Talbot shot a 43 in the Belmont victory.
· Student-athletes & teams in the news:
1. Senior Hannah Brookshire's picture was in Wednesday's edition of the Middletown Journal. Hannah is a captain of the Girls Soccer team and was listed as one of the three area players to watch.
2. Senior Robby Hendrickson was listed in the Middletown Journal as one of the three area players to watch. He is a captain of the Boys Soccer team.
3. The Journal identified the top 3 area soccer teams to beat in the SWBL, and both the Girls & Boys Soccer teams were listed in their respective divisions.
· Upcoming Varsity home competitions:
1. Tonight: Girls Tennis vs. Carlisle
2. This Friday Night: Football vs. Mississinawa Valley
3. Monday, August 28: Golf vs. Goshen
4. Tuesday, August 29: Volleyball vs. Madison
Girls Soccer vs. Madison
Girls Tennis vs. Preble Shawnee
5. Thursday, August 31: Golf vs. Dixie
Boys Soccer vs. Carlisle
6. Saturday, September 2: Girls Soccer vs. Edgewood
Always check www.highschoolsports.net for any changes in the schedule!
· Change in schedule: JV Football will play a home game this Saturday @ 10:30 against CHCA.
· Special thanks to Tina Ott and Mike Long for running the 50 / 50 raffle at the football scrimmage & to Don and Jeannette Sprague for helping the Athletic Department create / laminate all the sports passes purchased by Hornet Fans, parents and students. _________________________________________________________________________________________
The Brass Pig Cafe & Gift Shop supports the student-athletes by purchasing an ad in the Booster Club's athletic program. We thank The Brass Pig Cafe & Gift Shop for helping the student-athletes, teams and Booster Club reach their goals.
The Brass Pig Cafe & Gift Shop supports our student-athletes, so let's support them J
The mission of the Monroe Athletic Booster Club (MABC) is to facilitate and promote the activities of the Monroe High School's sports programs. MABC will work with the coaches and administration to support the athletic program by providing funding, boosting attendance, building morale and providing an enjoyable healthy environment for the student athletes. MABC will be responsible for raising funds required to meet the club's objectives.