The Fall season is upon us. There're plenty of opportunities to become involved, and most require very little time & energy. Please consider jumping in to help support the student-athletes by volunteering a few hours this season. Read on for areas that need a bit of your time. And, please forward this message to your family, friends, neighbors and alumni.
· Brief notes from Wednesday's Booster Club meeting:
1. The Fall sports program will be ready to sell at the first home football game. There are a few new businesses advertising this year, while a few dropped out because of the current economy.
2. Booster club membership has grown - there are more Hornet Patrons ($75.00 membership) than ever before. A parking pass is a bonus with this level, so tailgating will be even better this year J
3. The club voted to accept Zimmer Tractor's generous donation of an electric golf cart. Mike Gilmartin, Zimmer rep and new Booster member, was introduced.
4. The 1986 Football team will be recognized at the September 22 home football game. James Little, Mike Long & Brent Nance are helping organize this event. The club agreed to provide refreshments for the 1986 coaches and players prior to the game.
5. It was suggested the club host a new event, '2007 Hornet Day'. This would take place on a Saturday just before the opening of the 2007 Fall season. The community would be invited to come to the athletic complex to meet the members of all Fall season athletic teams, band members, drill team. cheerleaders & coaches/advisors. Kids could have their pictures taken with their favorite student-athlete/coach; lockers could be decorated by fans; spirit wear could be available for purchase; drill demonstrations could be scheduled; etc. Members were asked to bring ideas to the September meeting.
6. The Hall of Fame committee is working diligently behind the scenes. The Bylaws, Nomination Form and Donation Form will be available on Mainstreetmonroe.com, the school website, monroesports.org (Booster website) and thru this email distribution. Also, a Nomination Form will be in the Fall sports program - it will be a 'tear out' page for easy use.
7. The club will provide a drink and hot dog to the ball girls / boys at the Varsity Soccer games. 8 vouchers will be given to each ball team. Vouchers will be managed this year by Kim Sebastion (girls team) and Mary Routson-Griffin (boys team).
8. DanBarry is hosting the '2nd Annual DanBarry Hornet Day' Saturday, August 26 for Fall season high school student-athletes and band members. Coaches and advisors are talking with their players / members this week. DanBarry will be open, free of charge, throughout the day to all members on the rosters. They only need to sign in at the theater to see the movie of their choice. We thank DanBarry and Aimee Waugh for providing such a fun event to reward those players /members for their preseason efforts.
9. The school will be hosting the SWBL Pee Wee Superbowl, tentatively scheduled for Saturday, November 4. The club agreed to open the concession stand during the 4 games.
10. New school records that were broken last winter and spring will be posted on the Record Boards that are located across from the entrance to the gym.
· Congrats to the Golf team for winning their season opener against Franklin. And, kudos to Brandon Stanton who was medalist with a 46.
· The very first 'Alex Fultz Invitational' Cross Country competition will be held at the school this Monday, August 21. This is the first Cross Country meet held at Monroe in many, many years - if not the first ever. 10 teams will be competing. This is where you can help the athletes and athletic department. If you can spare some time Monday, please contact John Singleton or Coach Dave Farrish. The school's number is 539-8471.
· The school will also host the SWBL Cross Country meet October 14. Let John or Coach Farrish know if you are available to help during that day.
· This Friday night is the home Football scrimmage against West Carrollton, the only team that beat Monroe last year. It begins @ 7:30. Please come out and support the team! As a side note, since this is a scrimmage, the back parking lot will not be reserved for patrons.
· Season tickets can still be purchased at the school. Call 539-8471 for times.
· There's still time to join the Football golf outing on Sunday, August 20th. It will be held at Shaker Run Golf Course @ 2:00 pm. If interested in participating, contact Coach Jason Krause @ 312-6543.
· Weather permitting, the Girls Soccer team will once again wash cars, trucks and vans for donations this Saturday, August 19th. They'll be working from 9:00 - 3:00 at Chase Bank, across from the Ameristop store in Monroe. Any questions, contact Kristy @ 539-2986.
· If you have high school sports info to share with the Hornet Fans, please send the material to email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>.
· Special thanks to Rocky Sebastion, Ted Rarig, Matt Long, Pat Harrington and Anita Williams for cleaning / preparing the concession stand for the new Fall season.
Take note: the Booster Club will create a Plan of Action to help pass the November levy. As you know, in order to balance the budget, the School Board made the following cuts (which impact school sports) that will take place if the levy does not pass: Activities Director position, the Activities Administrator position & Winter / Spring sports. These cuts will be devastating to the school district in sundry ways. I can go on, and on, and on about the benefits of participating in extracurricular activities, but that's for another message. Club members are asked to bring ideas to the September meeting so a plan can be developed. There are hundreds of Booster members & Hornet Fans - now's the time to join forces and influence the community and process. Talk among yourselves about doable / realistic elements for this plan, and bring them to the table September 20. If you live far away, you can still help. Contact your family members, friends and alumni who live in the voting district and persuade them to vote in favor of this levy. We all can make an impact - your contribution doesn't have to be monumental. If you can change one 'no' vote to one 'yes' vote, you've made a difference!
Finally, after reading all the information above, it's important to recognize that the Booster Club is fulfilling its Mission Statement (see below) in many ways: devising a Plan of Action to pass the levy; instituting tailgating parties; creating Hornet Day; hosting the 1986 Football team; generating funds for all teams; working at events & competitions; liaising with DanBarry & the school for the '2nd Annual DanBarry Hornet Day'; communicating the sports news; etc. We will continue to work hard to support the student-athletes, athletic department & school district. Thank you to the many Booster Club members and Hornet Fans who volunteer your time, energy and resources to make these things happen. __________________________________________________________________________________________
Monroe Heating & Air Conditioning, located in Monroe, supports the student-athletes by purchasing an ad in the Booster Club's athletic program. We thank Monroe Heating & Air Conditioning for helping the student-athletes, teams and Booster Club reach their goals.
Monroe Heating & Air Conditioning supports our student-athletes, so let's support them J
The mission of the Monroe Athletic Booster Club (MABC) is to facilitate and promote the activities of the Monroe High School's sports programs. MABC will work with the coaches and administration to support the athletic program by providing funding, boosting attendance, building morale and providing an enjoyable healthy environment for the student athletes. MABC will be responsible for raising funds required to meet the club's objectives.