· Congrats to sophomore Nicole Brehm for winning the MML 1 meter diving competition held at Miami University! On to the State competition J
· Congrats to the following for signing to play sports this fall:
1. Bethany Davidson will attend Morehead State and play soccer.
2. Pat Harrington and Shae Michael will play football for Urbana.
3. Michael Majors will play football for Tiffin.
4. Tad Kilburn will play football at Ball State as a preferred walk-on.
5. Matt Cantrell is expected to commit to Wilmington next week and play football.
· Two student-athletes were highlighted in the Journal this week:
1. Bethany Davidson was featured in the Player Q&A column - January 31.
2. Tyler Osterman was featured on the front page of the Sports section - January 30.
· The Boys basketball team beat West Carrollton (82-48) but lost to Talawanda (56-59), Stebbins (47-66), and Fenwick (59-55) this past week. Their records stand at 3/7 in the MML South and 8/8 overall.
· The Girls lost to Fenwick (33-57), Greenville (59-88) and Madison (37-36). Their records stand at 5/3 in the MML South and 9/6 overall.
· Chad Murphy has been selected to be the defensive backs coach in the East-West football game; and Pat Harrington, Michael Majors and Shae Michaels will be on the West roster.
· Below are comments from Skip Weaver's MML Insider column this week:
1. Sectional tournament draw: "Monroe and Fenwick Boys basketball teams are in the Division III Dayton sectional. The Hornets will be challenged by second-seeded West Liberty-Salem in the first round ..."
2. MML sleeper teams: "Monroe has the same potential with a mix of young talent and senior experience from players like Tyler Osterman, Jared Ferguson and Mike Majors."
3. MML swim meet this weekend: "Monroe's Nicole Brehm is also one of the area's top divers. In the girls' team race, Monroe and Talawanda should be neck-and-neck in the South."
· The Monroe Athletic Hall of Fame subteam met this past Sunday to begin the process of designing a program. By-laws and the Nomination Form have been drafted. The team will meet on February 12th, then update the Athletic Booster Club at the February 15th meeting. The goal is to host the first class this Fall season. Stay tuned for more info.
· Check out the MML Sports website for stats and standings: http://www.mmlsports.com/
· Upcoming Varsity competitions:
1. Girls basketball Feb 6 Away Talawanda
2. Boys basketball Feb 7 Away Greenville
Always check this website for cancellations: www.highschoolsports.net <