The latest in Hornet Country:
¨ The Football team will host Madeira this Saturday @ 7:00. This is the first round of the Division IV playoffs. Monroe (9-1) is seeded 2nd in the Region 16 bracket, and Madeira (6-4) is seeded 7th. We all know that once tournaments hit, it’s anybody’s game; so come out early and root for the home team!
¨ Because Saturday night’s game is a tournament game, a few things will be different:
1. Presale tickets are $6.00 with 20% going to the school; and tickets sold at the gate are $8.00 with no monies benefiting the school. Athletic Director John Singleton will be selling tickets at the school Wednesday and Thursday evening from 5:30-7:00.
2. Tailgaters are welcome! Come a bit earlier than usual because the game starts @ 7:00 – 30 minutes earlier than season games.
3. The Hornet Patron Parking Lot, located at the back of the school, will be open to Hornet Patrons. Tom Wagers and Bob Phelps will be at the entrance to welcome you.
4. There will be no 50/50 raffle during this game – a tournament rule.
5. The Athletic Booster Club will manage the concession stand as usual - proceeds will go to the club.
¨ Once again, Jack Gordon will host the Football staff and seniors on WPFB this Thursday evening from 8:00-9:00 @ Capozzi’s restaurant. Arrive early to eat and stay to listen/participate in the banter J
¨ David Miller is making his first trip to the State Cross Country meet this year! He placed 6th in the Division III Regional race last week with a time of 16:57.
¨ The Boys Soccer team ended their season as runner-ups in the Sectional finals last Saturday night. It was a hard-fought game against Fenwick, with the result 1-2. Their record was an impressive 13-4-4. Congratulations to the team on a very successful season!
¨ The Athletic Booster Club has agreed to manage the Jumbo Poker game at the 1st ‘Springfest’ event scheduled for Friday, May 19 (4:30 pm-Midnight) and Saturday, May 20 (10:00 am-Midnight). Proceeds will go to the Booster Club. The Optimist Club is sponsoring this event. We will need lots of volunteers to run the game. Mark your calendars now, and plan to help out the club and student athletes by working at the booth a few hours.
¨ Thanks to Cindy Michael and Teresa Cantrell for volunteering their time to sell programs at the football games. And, thanks to Pam Kilburn and Mary Griffin for managing this project. We appreciate their support of the Athletic Booster Club and student athletes.