Local Weather

by Happy HarperValley Rez

In the thread...
For those who voted NO
Main Street Monroe | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Community Issues
 Monroe Charter Discussion
 Charter Review Commission 2011 Recommendations

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Message:

* HTML is ON
* Forum Code is OFF
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

 
Check here to subscribe to this topic.
   

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Monroe News Posted - 07/05/2011 : 3:39:45 PM
The sworn members of the Charter Review Commission as Appointed by Monroe City Council are:

Jeff Caron
Mark Carroza
Juliette Dame
Nikki Robinson
Steve Urso
Diane Wilson
Susan Wise

Here is the full text of the review:
Charter Review Commission 2011 Recommendations

One change was in Section 6.02 Removal of City Manager

The commission reset the balance of power in favor of the city manager. It now takes two-thirds of council rather than a simple majority to suspend the city manager.






21   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kelly Jones Posted - 06/04/2012 : 03:46:24 AM
Very nice! I really enjoyed your forum throughout all the time I have spent on it! thanks for sharing such an informative and nice forum with. I am really aknowleged by the content provided by you on this forum.
Trash pickup
johnwells Posted - 10/18/2011 : 11:29:48 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom B[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]Juliette Dame her husband is going to run for council (Anonymous= Peter Dame) Should she resign if he's elected? Just ask'n a question.



The only absolute conflict of an elected official having a family member who is an employee is in the determination of the compensation of the employee. For example, while on school board, Rocky Heflin's sister was an employee. He abstained from voting on the measures that impacted teacher salaries and benefits.

The only problem I see with that is if the council is ever nearly evenly divided on a compensation issue. Having a council member unable to vote on a close one could change the outcome. But I have never seen that situation arise in real life.


I don't think Pete's wife was compensated for this, so it is a non issue.
Tom B Posted - 10/18/2011 : 11:13:46 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]Juliette Dame her husband is going to run for council (Anonymous= Peter Dame) Should she resign if he's elected? Just ask'n a question.



The only absolute conflict of an elected official having a family member who is an employee is in the determination of the compensation of the employee. For example, while on school board, Rocky Heflin's sister was an employee. He abstained from voting on the measures that impacted teacher salaries and benefits.

The only problem I see with that is if the council is ever nearly evenly divided on a compensation issue. Having a council member unable to vote on a close one could change the outcome. But I have never seen that situation arise in real life.
Houndog Posted - 07/15/2011 : 11:50:05 PM
All I know is this...
I back anyone who can build a garage that large in a back yard that small within the city of Monroe. A man such as that can get things done.
Todd Posted - 07/15/2011 : 11:06:08 PM
~I am wondering if the loophole Tracy used for a while was addressed?
Nothing changed.

~I am wondering if term limits for Council was discussed?
Nothing changed.

~I am wondering if election of the Mayor by the community was addressed?
Nothing changed.

~I am wondering if a cap limit was proposed for future Lawsuits and after a certain $$ amount - it goes before the community for vote to continue?
Not addressed.

~I am wondering if the way Council Meetings are held was discussed for re-format to not be so discouraging to members of the community?
Not addressed.
Todd Posted - 07/15/2011 : 10:54:41 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]Does Council have a line item veto on the charter recommendations?
Does the review board have to re-review anything after council rules?




Does Council have a line item veto on the charter recommendations?

Yes.

Does the review board have to re-review anything after council rules?

No.

Council can reject any recommendation and add items to their recommendations.
Bretland Posted - 07/15/2011 : 12:24:33 PM
term limits for Council?
Can't we just vote them out? If we keep voting them in and they're willing to serve - why punish them???
The best term limit seems to be good alternative candidates..............
buckeyenut Posted - 07/15/2011 : 11:41:57 AM
~I am wondering if the loophole Tracy used for a while was addressed? YES

~I am wondering if term limits for Council was discussed? YES

~I am wondering if election of the Mayor by the community was addressed? YES

~I am wondering if a cap limit was proposed for future Lawsuits and after a certain $$ amount - it goes before the community for vote to continue? NO

~I am wondering if the way Council Meetings are held was discussed for re-format ~ to not be so discouraging to members of the community? (Ex. Why must citizen fill out a card prior and be discussed out of the public view before they are allowed to speak in the meeting?) Why not let people have a sign up, x number of citizens per mtg (and when the slots are full -they are full), subject line to hi-lite their topic and 3 min time limit to state their concern or idea. Council can then have take away items to consider or respond to at the next meeting or post the answers on the city page or in the monthly mail release. IF initiated properly, Council would have an opportunity to meet more of the citizens, hear what the chatter is about, the support or the opposition to future endeavours, etc. The Council meetings now are held to a very old school forum and if you attend other community council meetings - you will see we are less progressive than some of our surrounding communities. YES & NO - We discussed consent agendas but not the speaker cards which was not under the purview of the Charter. Personally I've never seen a problem with any resident giving comment to Council. They always give plenty of time (more than most city's 3 min limit) & I have heard council ask questions of the speaker or give comment or direction to Mr Brock.
Happy HarperValley Rez Posted - 07/14/2011 : 12:19:32 PM
I was talking with someone who asked for opinions on things in the charter to be looked at and then a family emergency came up which did not allow me to offer my thoughts at that time.
~I am wondering if the loophole Tracy used for a while was addressed?
~I am wondering if term limits for Council was discussed?
~I am wondering if election of the Mayor by the community was addressed?
~I am wondering if a cap limit was proposed for future Lawsuits and after a certain $$ amount - it goes before the community for vote to continue?
~I am wondering if the way Council Meetings are held was discussed for re-format ~ to not be so discouraging to members of the community? (Ex.Why must citizen fill out a card prior and be discussed out of the public view before they are allowed to speak in the meeting?) Why not let people have a sign up, x number of citizens per mtg (and when the slots are full -they are full), subject line to hi-lite their topic and 3 min time limit to state their concern or idea. Council can then have take away items to consider or respond to at the next meeting or post the answers on the city page or in the monthly mail release.
IF initiated properly, Council would have an opportunity to meet more of the citizens, hear what the chatter is about, the support or the opposition to future endeavours, etc.
The Council meetings now are held to a very old school forum and if you attend other community council meetings - you will see we are less progressive than some of our surrounding communities.
I had a lot more things but these were quick thoughts in this moment.


PS: if these things are in the link provided - I apologize but I cannot open a lot of the things posted with links from the computer I use during the day!
John Beagle Posted - 07/14/2011 : 11:42:26 AM
Does Council have a line item veto on the charter recommendations?
Does the review board have to re-review anything after council rules?

Todd Posted - 07/13/2011 : 11:46:54 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Monroe News[/i]

Here is the full text of the review:
Charter Review Commission 2011 Recommendations

One change was in Section 6.02 Removal of City Manager

The commission reset the balance of power in favor of the city manager. It now takes two-thirds of council rather than a simple majority to suspend the city manager.









Couple of things to think about. It only takes a majority to hire a manager but it will take 5 votes to suspend a manager. He also is expected to reside within the Municipality.

Section 6.01 Appointment; Qualifications.
Council shall appoint the Manager with the approval of a majority for confirmation. If a Manager has not been employed within 180 days after a vacancy occurs, the Mayor may appoint a Manager.
The Manager shall be appointed solely on the basis of his executive and administrative qualifications. He need not be a resident of the Municipality or the State at the time of his appointment, but within six months after this appointment, he shall reside within the Municipality unless such residence requirement is waived by ordinance.
John Beagle Posted - 07/07/2011 : 08:23:45 AM
See title of thread, rinse, repeat.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Doc[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Monroe News[/i]
[br]It now takes two-thirds of council rather than a simple majority to suspend the city manager.
I hate to nit-pick here but...I must.
Nothing's been changed to make it take two-thirds majority. These are simply recommendations being made to council which decides which, if any, of those recommendations go to the electors.

Section 12.05 Charter Review Commission.
Not later than the last day of March in 1981, and every ten years thereafter, the Council shall appoint, by a majority vote of its members, a Charter Review Commission consisting of not less than five electors of the Municipality. Such Commission shall review the Charter of the Municipality and, within the time designated by the Council at the time the members are appointed, or within any extension thereof granted by the Council, recommend to Council such alterations, revisions and amendments, if any, to this Charter, as in its judgment are desirable. After consideration of the recommendations of the Charter Review Commission, the Council may submit any or all of such proposed alterations, revisions or amendments to this Charter to the electors of the Municipality in the manner provided by Article XVIII of the Constitution of Ohio. The terms of the members of the Commission shall terminate at the end of the period designated at the time of their appointment, or any extension thereof by the Council.




TheDude Posted - 07/07/2011 : 06:33:53 AM
Oh :)
Doc Posted - 07/07/2011 : 12:42:37 AM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Monroe News[/i]
[br]It now takes two-thirds of council rather than a simple majority to suspend the city manager.
I hate to nit-pick here but...I must.
Nothing's been changed to make it take two-thirds majority. These are simply recommendations being made to council which decides which, if any, of those recommendations go to the electors.

Section 12.05 Charter Review Commission.
Not later than the last day of March in 1981, and every ten years thereafter, the Council shall appoint, by a majority vote of its members, a Charter Review Commission consisting of not less than five electors of the Municipality. Such Commission shall review the Charter of the Municipality and, within the time designated by the Council at the time the members are appointed, or within any extension thereof granted by the Council, recommend to Council such alterations, revisions and amendments, if any, to this Charter, as in its judgment are desirable. After consideration of the recommendations of the Charter Review Commission, the Council may submit any or all of such proposed alterations, revisions or amendments to this Charter to the electors of the Municipality in the manner provided by Article XVIII of the Constitution of Ohio. The terms of the members of the Commission shall terminate at the end of the period designated at the time of their appointment, or any extension thereof by the Council.


johnwells Posted - 07/07/2011 : 12:19:52 AM
I think this is a bad idea. It should remain a majority vote, the city manager would only have to keep 3 of the 7 members of council happy to keep his job with this change.
buck35 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 11:04:50 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Todd Hickman[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]Juliette Dame her husband is going to run for council (Anonymous= Peter Dame) Should she resign if he's elected? Just ask'n a question.


The City of Monroe has several boards and commissions that are made up of volunteers of the community. Unless otherwise indicated, you must be an elector of the City of Monroe and hold no compensated position with the City of Monroe to be a member.
The terms of the members of the Commission shall terminate at the end of the period designated at the time of their appointment, or any extension thereof by the Council.



So I should take as a no then? If true it sounds to me a new Good Old'e Boys Club will start! Just say'n IMHO.
Todd Posted - 07/06/2011 : 10:44:10 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by TheDude[/i]
[br]Well council, get to it then. He hasn't been managing very well according to all circumstances now has he?


This topic is over the recommendations of the Charter Review Commission. I posted the above as a food for thought for those interested in one of the changes that was presented by the review commission. Section 6.02
Todd Posted - 07/06/2011 : 10:09:33 PM
quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]Juliette Dame her husband is going to run for council (Anonymous= Peter Dame) Should she resign if he's elected? Just ask'n a question.


The City of Monroe has several boards and commissions that are made up of volunteers of the community. Unless otherwise indicated, you must be an elector of the City of Monroe and hold no compensated position with the City of Monroe to be a member.
The terms of the members of the Commission shall terminate at the end of the period designated at the time of their appointment, or any extension thereof by the Council.

buck35 Posted - 07/06/2011 : 9:45:56 PM
Juliette Dame her husband is going to run for council (Anonymous= Peter Dame) Should she resign if he's elected? Just ask'n a question.
TheDude Posted - 07/06/2011 : 9:26:33 PM
Well council, get to it then. He hasn't been managing very well according to all circumstances now has he?
Todd Posted - 07/06/2011 : 8:45:07 PM
I would like to thank the Charter Review Commission for the work they have done on the charter. They did a great job.

The OCMA site had something that I thought would be beneficial to post. This is the same site that had the Financial Specialist position posted last year. Here is a couple a of paragraphs from that site.


The council-manager plan is the system of local government that combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a council or other governing body, with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The plan establishes a representative system where all power is concentrated in the elected council as a whole and where the council hires a professionally trained manager to oversee the delivery of public services.
Managers serve at the pleasure of the council or governing body. They can be fired by a majority of the council, consistent with local laws, ordinances, or employment agreements they may have with the council. Control is always in the hands of the elected representatives of the people.
http://www.ocmaohio.org/index.php?view=items&cid=1%3ACouncil%2FManager+Government&id=19%3ACan+the+manager+be+fired%3F&option=com_quickfaq&Itemid=76

http://www.ocmaohio.org/

MainStreetMonroe.com Terms of Use © MainStreetMonroe.com Go To Top Of Page

Advertising Information

Main Street Monroe was started by Monroe, Ohio resident John Beagle in 1998