New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/05/2008 :  11:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How much did the state give the city of Monroe?
How much was the total cost?
How much was donated by citizens?

murn89

471 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/05/2008 :  11:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Send murn89 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

According to council meeting minutes from July, Council approved an expenditure of $22,886.00 to be paid to Johnson Electric Service for lighting at Veterans Memorial.
Go to Top of Page

murn89

471 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/05/2008 :  11:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Send murn89 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

According to March '07 council meeting minutes, council approved the expenditure of $9,700.00 for architectural and engineering services for the Veterans Memorial.

Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:11:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thats a lot of lighting. I hope a BugZapper was included!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by murn89[/i]
[br]According to council meeting minutes from July, Council approved an expenditure of $22,886.00 to be paid to Johnson Electric Service for lighting at Veterans Memorial.

Go to Top of Page

murn89

471 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:24:28 AM  Show Profile  Send murn89 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

From July '07 Council Meeting Minutes:

Mr. Brock reported that the Veterans Memorial Committee has approved a design and a bid for approximately $24,000, which will include the design drawings and permits. The Committee has collected $7,000 and will be soliciting businesses for additional funds. He asked Council if the City should supply the funds. The conceptual design is around $116,000, but it is hoped through in-kind donations this could be reduced. Mr. Brock would like to see this move forward so that a Memorial Day event can be held at the Veterans Memorial next year.
Mrs. Rubin asked if the money has come out of the Park Fund.
Mr. Brock said the expenditures have currently been taken from the City Managers Department fund.
Mrs. Rubin would like to see the Committee continue to raise money and the City back them up if need be.
Mrs. Stillman noted that it would be a park when completed.
Mr. Brock said it would be maintained by the City that the City would provide lighting, security, etc. Mr. Brock felt the Committee should continue to raise funds to get the project in.
In response to Mrs. Stillmans inquiry, Mr. Brock explained that the $24,000 would go toward putting design drawings together, for building permits, and bidding of the project through the construction phase. Mr. Brock feels it is a reasonable amount based on the total project.
Mr. Brock explained it is a circular design with six pedestals that represent the branches of the military There will be a circular wall also including the eagle. The main design would include the names of veterans who purchase bricks in the center portion. The flag would be to the right side of the eagle. The perimeter of the memorial would be for other contributors. Landscaping will surround the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The city bought the eagle years ago. Its been in storage, like the Ark of the Covenant in the first Indiana Jones movie.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:37:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Hey! They let me out from time to time! Im just not so hip to that Big Bolt in the Arse they want to put me on the wall with!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Houndog[/i]
[br]The city bought the eagle years ago. Its been in storage, like the Ark of the Covenant in the first Indiana Jones movie.

Go to Top of Page

murn89

471 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Send murn89 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Houndog[/i]
[br]The city bought the eagle years ago. Its been in storage, like the Ark of the Covenant in the first Indiana Jones movie.

What a great investment during our time of fiscal emergency.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Eagle[/i]
[br]Hey! They let me out from time to time! Im just not so hip to that Big Bolt in the Arse they want to put me on the wall with!

Are you speaking of your new married life?

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/06/2008 :  12:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

No Tom. My Married life is quite spectacular!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Eagle[/i]
[br]Hey! They let me out from time to time! Im just not so hip to that Big Bolt in the Arse they want to put me on the wall with!

Are you speaking of your new married life?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City