Monroe School on lock-down today?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/10/2009 :  11:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My daughter came home and said the school was on lock-down sometime this afternoon. Haven't read or heard anything about why though. Anyone know?

Mandy

USA
70 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/10/2009 :  11:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I spoke to my daughters teacher at conference tonight about it. She said a Middletown school and an Edgewood school had reported a male entering their school looking around and leaving. That was all she knew so as a safety measure they put the school on a lock down since they did not know of the man's intention or if it was innocent. I was glad our school took the extra step to ensure our kids safety.
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/10/2009 :  11:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks for the info...good to know!
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  01:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It was far more involved, and frankly seemed much darker than that description Mandy. I will leave the details to the police to release, but a man went to several schools this morning in a very troubling manner.

I want to give the staff of Monroe Local Schools a big pat on the back for acting so swiftly and surely to protect our kids at the first notice of this, even though Dr. Lollie, Ms. Thorpe and three board members were in Columbus today for the annual meeting of the Ohio School Board association, getting our annual conference training.

Some other area schools seemed quite disrupted by their leaders' absence, as they still were not locked down even hours after Monroe secured things.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

slapshot

USA
3266 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  03:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

From what I was told tonight by a teacher was that a guy went into a Middletown school with a gun, so that was the reason Monroe was put into lock down. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?
Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  05:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by slapshot[/i]
[br]From what I was told tonight by a teacher was that a guy went into a Middletown school with a gun, so that was the reason Monroe was put into lock down. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

That information is true, Slapshot. I believe that is the reason other local schools were cautious.
Go to Top of Page

Star_Rider
Advanced Member

USA
8666 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  06:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

He was posing as Homeland Security from what I was told.

Spes Mea in Deo Est
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  07:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

was he arrested or is he still wondering around?
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well, here's what the MJ says about it:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/police-investigating-alleged-visit-by-homeland-security-agent-395798.html
Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  11:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by itbedave[/i]
[br]Well, here's what the MJ says about it:

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/police-investigating-alleged-visit-by-homeland-security-agent-395798.html

I love the Middletown Journal. The reporter garbled the dates and misspelled "principal". Other than that, it was informative!
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  12:01:31 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

They've updated the story about 20 minutes ago I guess. They are quoting a Middletown officer as saying the agents were legit:

"Middletown Maj. Mark Hoffman said today it appears the officers were legitimate, but Middletown police still do not know who they were."
Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  12:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I have read all this topic so I do see where these guys were legit.
Regardless, if in fact he did walk in to a school with a gun on him, in these days and times, you would think he might have chose not to wear a weapon?
I don't know if it's standard procedure to wear one at all times or not, but I am glad the school took the precautions they did, just in case.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by slapshot[/i]
[br]From what I was told tonight by a teacher was that a guy went into a Middletown school with a gun, so that was the reason Monroe was put into lock down. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter won't mind. And those who mind, don't matter."
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  1:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I didn't think that Homeland security officers were armed?

"The man asked the principal if Euclid Street was part of her attendance area, and Marsh answered “no” and the man left, she said."

Why enter a School building and ask such an ambiguous question?

Certainly, they are not looking to pursue a child ~ so why enter a School and cause any type of alarm?

I sincerely hope that whomever decided that this was an appropriate course of action is being 'probed' for obvious stupidity !!

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

Jane Smith

1553 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  3:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Possibly because the person of interest had children,
and if they were in school could lead them to him.

They should of notified Middletown Police department or whatever areas they were investigating.

And most certainly give the principal enough identification to know that they were legitimate. Or wait and have an officer certify that they were homeland security, of course they are armed. ~ the criminals are as well.

If the Principal was concerned that this person was not legitimate, then he should of asked them to wait in his office. If he refused, then you know something is not kosher. And he did not have to speak with him until their identity was proven.

Then there would not of been any other lock downs or concerns.

But his reasoning is probably the best, get that person out of his building and keep his children safe. So it depends on the situation.

With the latest incident~ and hint of terrorism, I would hope they are on round up.
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  3:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Round up??? Of whom?

The 'latest incident' was an American citizen - born and raised, serving his Country (assuming you are referring to the Fort Bragg incident)

Maybe there are Children involved, however the individual did not ask for a specific Child nor indicate that he was looking for children - which, quite honestly I believe to be absolutely horrendous if using a child / children as a pawn in an attempt to apprehend an Adult.

Why send a solo agent out to look for an individual? Why not utilize the local and if necessary, State federal agents to assist in an arrest /apprehension and again, why walk into a School fully armed without due cause?

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

wifostarz

USA
5984 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  3:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was interviewed by them 2 years ago and they were not armed. Neither was the CIA or the FBI when I was interviewed by them.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Jane Smith[/i]
[br]Possibly because the person of interest had children,
and if they were in school could lead them to him.

They should of notified Middletown Police department or whatever areas they were investigating.

And most certainly give the principal enough identification to know that they were legitimate. Or wait and have an officer certify that they were homeland security, of course they are armed. ~ the criminals are as well.

If the Principal was concerned that this person was not legitimate, then he should of asked them to wait in his office. If he refused, then you know something is not kosher. And he did not have to speak with him until their identity was proven.

Then there would not of been any other lock downs or concerns.

But his reasoning is probably the best, get that person out of his building and keep his children safe. So it depends on the situation.

With the latest incident~ and hint of terrorism, I would hope they are on round up.

Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  4:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by HRHPatey[/i]
[br]I didn't think that Homeland security officers were armed?

"The man asked the principal if Euclid Street was part of her attendance area, and Marsh answered “no” and the man left, she said."

Why enter a School building and ask such an ambiguous question?

Certainly, they are not looking to pursue a child ~ so why enter a School and cause any type of alarm?

I sincerely hope that whomever decided that this was an appropriate course of action is being 'probed' for obvious stupidity !!

If this person was with Homeland Security, I am guessing they would have gotten neighborhood districting information from central office-- not by walking into one of the elementary schools. Call me crazy, but I think the Feds do a little more homework than that.
Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  9:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

None of my kids knew they were on a lock down. So, sounds like the school did a good job at keeping things as normal as possible. Great job!
Go to Top of Page

wifostarz

USA
5984 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  9:45:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My son knew because they weren't allowed out for recess.
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2009 :  9:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Same way my daughter knew.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24