New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  3:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Julie Howell was hired as a non certificated Paraprofessional at Monroe schools. She is resigning that position to take a new position titled, Elementary Emotional Disturbed Unit. Step 2 - $37,512/yr.

I didn't know Monroe even had such a unit.

Very few schools have such a unit, but one school in Wapakoneta, Ohio has such a program along with the goals of the program. Here is what they state as the goal:

"The goal of the ED program is to provide behavioral and curricular remediation to the maximum extent possible, enabling the student to become self-sufficient and to participate in a more normalized setting. This goal is accomplished through an intensive, highly individualized program utilizing a variety of behavioral, cognitive, and affective techniques and implemented by trained, experienced teachers and support staff to bring about measurable academic, social, and behavioral change. The students progress through the program will be clearly identifiable, and his or her removal from the program will always occur at the earliest possible date once the terminal behavior(s) have been accomplished. The program design provides a blend of educational and mental health strategies and supports to ensure comprehensive curriculum to meet the social, emotional and academic needs of each student"

Source: http://www.auglaizeesc.org/content/view/19/32/

I will publish Monroe's goals as soon as I receive them.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

ED is a standard term in Special Education. Congrats to Julie! She will do a great job in this position.
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Amen!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by SWC[/i]
[br]ED is a standard term in Special Education. Congrats to Julie! She will do a great job in this position.

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

MFD50
Average Member

USA
1141 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  4:27:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I recently was blessed with the chance to help with a unit like this. Our friend is a PT at Lebanon High School and had a student that needed a suit so he could go the the Daylight Prom at Lebanon High School. Needless to say he was a large boy and she thought I might have a suit that would fit him since I am quite large myself. I had bought a suit about 3/4 years ago had it tailored, and it fit him like it was purchased for him. We were invited to the prom and went to see him in my suit. While I was there I noticed this prom was not only for Lebanon MRDD is was also for Kings Local, Springboro, Little Miami, and I think one other which I can't remember. I wondered why Monroe was not there as it was a blessing to see all the MRDD students come together and celebrate prom as where they may not go to a regular prom night. A lot of the students from the school were there to assist and it was a wonderful event.
Go to Top of Page

SoloTSi97

USA
241 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  7:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit SoloTSi97's Homepage  Send SoloTSi97 an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Both Julie and her husband devote a lot of their time to helping the children of Monroe. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to work with her husband quite a bit and he truly enriches the lives of the boys that we work with. I don't know Julie as well, but I'm sure that she'll do a great job.

Congrats Julie!

-Bob

Cub Scout Pack 54
Boy Scout Troop 54
Monroe Church of the Nazarene
Go to Top of Page

HPE07

175 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  8:18:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If she was non-certified, is she certified now?
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/07/2010 :  8:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

yes

quote:
[i]Originally posted by HPE07[/i]
[br]If she was non-certified, is she certified now?

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Cherokee
Average Member

USA
1456 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/08/2010 :  05:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cherokee's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank you Monroe and Julie for helping kids out more than you will ever know.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/08/2010 :  07:47:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I want to thank the members of the Voice, who have chosen to write to this thread. I have been on the Voice since it started more or less, and with the School Board for its entire life until January. I don't mean this to really be about money, but I have to share the reality. This is the first time that I can remmember a school action, spending money, that was not criticised by someone,anyone almost immediately. This is a critical school need, and will save so many kids, and downstream, so much money for the school district by having more mentally healty students. The costs of so many on IEP's this could eliminate in future years downstream is staggering. And the lives changed are just as great for the kids as the writers above have described. I got it for my kids and it made all the difference for them. But I had insurance that would pay for it. Most don't. This is Libbie Lollie's greatest action since she got here, and proves she is the right Superintendent for Monroe Local Schools.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

lovemonroe

USA
462 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/08/2010 :  07:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

not funny houndog . . .
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/08/2010 :  08:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by lovemonroe[/i]
[br]not funny houndog . . .

There, I removed.
Go to Top of Page

phreaddy

20 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/08/2010 :  09:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Congrats to Julie. She will do a great job!

Quote: "If she was non-certified, is she certified now?"

Being in a non-certificated position doesn't mean one is not certified. Schools split jobs into certificated and non-certificated (sometimes known as classified)positions. Teachers and principals would be considered certificated where paraprofessionals, secretaries, bus drivers, etc. would be considered non-certificated.
Teachers entering the workforce, whether new teachers or experienced teachers who have taken some time off sometimes choose to enter the system in a non-certificated position to get experience or refresh skills. Also, a teaching position in a desired district may not be available. Districts who hire certified teachers in paraprofessional positions get the benefit of the training and/or experience of a certified teacher.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/14/2010 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am currently interviewing Dr. Deborah Witt-Turner who is the Director of Special Programs for Monroe Local Schools. I hope to have the interview completed and posted soon.

Here is an interesting fact, the need to hire an ED teacher at the elementary level was presented to the board of education in February of 2010.

Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/14/2010 :  11:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Do all 3 schools have someone in this position? If not, are they going to hire someone for the other two schools? I'm a little surprised Monroe didn't have someone in this position before now... But, I'm glad they've finally got someone now
Go to Top of Page

2015hornetsMOM
Average Member

USA
1179 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/15/2010 :  11:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I don't understand exactly what this is. I have a son on an IEP and would like this explained a little better. Excuse my ignorance........
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom B[/i]
[br]I want to thank the members of the Voice, who have chosen to write to this thread. I have been on the Voice since it started more or less, and with the School Board for its entire life until January. I don't mean this to really be about money, but I have to share the reality. This is the first time that I can remmember a school action, spending money, that was not criticised by someone,anyone almost immediately. This is a critical school need, and will save so many kids, and downstream, so much money for the school district by having more mentally healty students. The costs of so many on IEP's this could eliminate in future years downstream is staggering. And the lives changed are just as great for the kids as the writers above have described. I got it for my kids and it made all the difference for them. But I had insurance that would pay for it. Most don't. This is Libbie Lollie's greatest action since she got here, and proves she is the right Superintendent for Monroe Local Schools.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/18/2010 :  10:48:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Full interview with Dr. Witt-Turner on the Monroe Local Schools New Emotionally Disturbed Unit

Beagle: So prior to this year, we did not have an ED unit? Is that correct?
Witt-Turner: Prior to this year we did not have a traditional ED classroom.....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City