New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vincent Rush
Average Member

USA
976 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/07/2010 :  6:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Vincent Rush's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

On this day, Dec 7th, the Anniversary of Japans attach on Pearl Harbor.

Sadly, I haven't heard it mentioned today.

Vincent Rush
Monroe, Ohio
(877) 858-6295
Cincinnati Sports Photography
http://cincinnatisportsphotography.com
http://vincentrush.blogspot.com
http://vincentrush.wordpress.com

purplepassion

119 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/07/2010 :  8:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I agree Vincent....thanks for reminding all of us!
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang z

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/07/2010 :  8:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We don't remember because it is so far in the past. Unless you had a parent in the war, most, if not all is forgotten. Not me. My father was in the Pacific campaign and also Africa. He loved being in the Navy. This country has such a short attention span.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/07/2010 :  9:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was wondering the same and was waiting to see if it would be brought up. I guess it is the natural progression of priorities and people who still remember or was considered a significant event.
I was thinking today, is this going by the same route as The war to end all wars, Remember the Maine, Remember the Alamo, The Boston Massacre?
I heard today that only 3000 Pearl survivors remain. A day that will live in infamy! Military channel had a PH marathon on today!

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Respector
Average Member

1057 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/08/2010 :  01:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here are some fascinating numbers regarding WWII veterans. My Dad fought with the 42nd Rainbow Division and was taken prisoner on January 25, 1945. He turned 19 years old in a prison camp in Austria on April 5, 1945. He was one of the youngest soldiers at that time and is now 84 years old.

16,112,566 individuals were members of the United States armed forces during WWII. There were 291,557 battle deaths, 113,842 other deaths in service (non-theater), and 671,846 non-mortal woundings. It was estimated in September 2009 that approximately 2,079,000 American veterans are still living.

During this war 464 United States military personnel received the Medal of Honor, 266 of them posthumously. Additionally, the only Medal of Honor recipient in history for the United States Coast Guard received the Medal for his actions during this war. As of July 15, 2010, there were 18 living World War II Medal of Honor recipients.

Approximately 850 WWII veterans die every day. In 2008 approximately 1000 WWII veterans were passing daily.
Go to Top of Page

cmcarney

296 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/08/2010 :  12:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I don't know if this says anything about society, but yesterday I hear 1 person say it was Pearl Harbor day, but today I can't count the number of people/places who are reminding us Lennon died!

Anyways, there is a great group called Honor Flight who take these veterans to see their memorial before they pass. If you are looking for a charity for this giving season it might be worth considering http://www.honorflight.org/
Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/08/2010 :  1:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was just reading about HonorFlight yesterday. What a wonderful organization! They will also be helping Japanese-American veteran's attend next years Congressional Gold Medal ceremony in honor of the 442nd/100th/MIS. We're hoping Boehner will put my other half on the list of attendees.

http://www.nationalveteransnetwork.com
http://www.honorflight.org/
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/08/2010 :  2:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks for bringing it up Vincent. Here is a 2 minute video on the attack.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

purplepassion

119 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/08/2010 :  9:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks for sharing this video!
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/10/2010 :  1:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

One last look at this thread before it falls to the archives.

Never forget what the world was like. Never let it happen again. That's the message we all need to remember.

God Bless the all men and women who risk their lives over and over for our country, for you and for me.

American was founded on the backs of men who would fight for our rights to be Americans. Today is no different that the times of our First Revolutionary Army.

During the night of December 25, Washington led his troops across the ice-swollen Delaware about 9 miles north of Trenton. The weather was horrendous and the river treacherous. Raging winds combined with snow, sleet and rain to produce almost impossible conditions.

Crossing during the night during bad weather helped Washington surprise the Hessians. Washington made sure all fires were lit at the troop campsites giving the illusion that they were at camp. This further convinced the Hessians that there would be no attack. Boy were they wrong.

Washington's victory was complete but his situation precarious. The violent weather continued - making a strike towards Princeton problematic. Washington and his commanding officers decided to retrace their steps across the Delaware taking their Hessian prisoners with them.

The news of the American victory spread rapidly through the colonies reinvigorating the failing spirit of the Revolution. The battle's outcome also gave Washington and his officers the confidence to mount another campaign. On December 30 they again crossed the Delaware, attacked and won another victory at Trenton on January 2, and then pushed on to Princeton defeating the British there on January 3.

Sources: Wiki, EyeWitness to History, me.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City