Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2006 :  06:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

9gohornets7

USA
264 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2006 :  2:33:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My son was in a Veteran's Day Parade today. They take on a whole new meaning for us now that Shawn is in Iraq.
Thank you to all the veterans who have served this country with pride, strength, honor, and courage!

Go Army! HOOAH!
Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2006 :  8:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks to ALL our Vets....living & past! *Thank you Dad!!!!!!!!!

(

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter won't mind. And those who mind, don't matter."
Go to Top of Page

seymour

69 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/11/2006 :  10:40:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank you to all our vets. Without them, we would not be the people we are today!
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  12:03:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks for making my new doggy well!

Oh Boy! Here comes the hate mail!

Go to Top of Page

whineisfine

USA
184 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  08:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

What a weenie!!! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  09:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by burningiris[/i]
[br]Thanks for making my new doggy well!

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter won't mind. And those who mind, don't matter."
Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm sure it will be crowded, but Golden Corral has free dinner this evening for veterans. You may have to show your vet registration card or military ID. Not sure.

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by webbangela[/i]
[br]I'm sure it will be crowded, but Golden Corral has free dinner this evening for veterans. You may have to show your vet registration card or military ID. Not sure.

Thats nice...I believe they do that every year. My dad was a WW11 Veteran and he was so proud of all he had done. He passed away last year.

Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  7:48:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Branded[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]I'm sure it will be crowded, but Golden Corral has free dinner this evening for veterans. You may have to show your vet registration card or military ID. Not sure.

Thats nice...I believe they do that every year. My dad was a WW11 Veteran and he was so proud of all he had done. He passed away last year.

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page

MonroeAccord

244 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  8:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Freedom isn't free. I salute any one who is willing to lay their life on the line for others.
Go to Top of Page

Serene

USA
2093 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  8:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

Sorry for your loss Branded and I do believe I can speak for us all when I say how thankful we are for all the men and women who have served and are still serving.
As far as the sarcasm goes...there's a time & a place...I just don't think it should have been on this particular thread.

Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly. ~ Mae West
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  9:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tomorrow the School is celebrating Veterans Day - My Daughter ( who is in 4th grade) is among all of the forth graders who will be singing patriotic songs ...

My Husband ( ex Military Police, Army) is going. It has taken me several years to encourage him to attend these assemblies - the contributing factor now, is that our Daughter talks about her Daddy as a 'hero.' (Bless)

To all and everyone who has served their Country - I honor you...

When I attend these patriotic gatherings, I don't subscribe to the pledging and singing of how great ya'll are BUT I truly believe that there are few Countries who are as patriotic and steadfast in their acknowledgements of the Men / Women who serve in their Armed Forces.

Veteran's ... Yesterday, Today and tomorrow ..... Thank You !

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/12/2006 :  10:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Serene[/i]
[br]
quote:

Sorry for your loss Branded and I do believe I can speak for us all when I say how thankful we are for all the men and women who have served and are still serving.
As far as the sarcasm goes...there's a time & a place...I just don't think it should have been on this particular thread.

Appearantly, you haven't read my signature line....However it wasn't sarcasm. I really do appreciate the work that my vet does.

And just in case anything thinks that I don't respect and honor veterans; I've lost 3 uncles, a few friends, and some extended family to the evils of war.

Veterans are absolutely necessary and VERY much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Serene

USA
2093 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes Iris I did read your signature line. Like I posted earlier...Us praising the Veterans here & you praising your "vet" shouldn't in my eyes been done on this particular thread. I think you knew that when you mentioned the hate mail you would receive...or why would you have added that? Anyway...
God Bless Our Veterans...Past, Present, and Future!
God Bless Our Troops!

Go to Top of Page

Star_Rider
Advanced Member

USA
8666 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

IRIS, as an Army Veteran I found your post amusing.

Then again I do have a twisted sense of humor.

Spes Mea in Deo Est
Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Star_Rider[/i]
[br]IRIS, as an Army Veteran I found your post amusing.

no......really?
Go to Top of Page

Star_Rider
Advanced Member

USA
8666 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

DUDE!
Take alook at the people I hang with LMAO

quote:
[i]Originally posted by hornet86[/i]
[br]
quote:

no......really?

Spes Mea in Deo Est
Go to Top of Page

wifostarz

USA
5984 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I took the time to visit my uncles who served in Vietnam and phoned my cousins who have served in Iraq. My husband, 2 brothers, dad, and grandfather are vets too.
Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  12:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am an Army vet and my husband is still a soldier, and I also found this post amusing.

I'm not only the president of hair for men, but I also use the product!!

quote:

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  1:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

As a Former vet, I went to see the movie Flag of our fathers on saturday.

Good movie to reflect the things that goes on during a struggle for freedom. The end made me cry, very touching father and son meeting.

I want to say thanks for all the Men and women that are currently serving in the armed services and their families.

Thank you

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  1:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tracy,

I saw that too. It was different than I thought it would be, but an interesting story - I didn't know that history before I watched the movie. I grew up listening to that Johnny Cash song talking about Ira Hayes.

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  2:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Serene[/i]
[br]
quote:

Thank you Serene. As far as your point of view goes on what BurningIris had to say...well..I can see both sides of the coin here. As long as the Veterans here that have posted are finding humor in it...no harm done.
HAPPY VETERANS DAY!!!!!!!!!
God Bless Our Veterans!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  7:03:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I went to the Veteran's Assembly today (at the School)...... I cried throughout most (if not all) of the program. I can say that it was truly wonderful......

From the start, when the two little boys with their Mother, carrying the flag, big picture of their Dad / Husband currently serving in Iraq, flashing behind them on the screen, to TAPS, where all of the Children bowed their heads ( sob, sob) to the singing of each Branch of Service songs ( whereupon, the Vet's stood proudly) ..

If you get the opportunity next year, I wholeheartedly encourage you to attend... the pride; glory and honor were positively tangible...

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  8:30:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by HRHPatey[/i]
[br]I went to the Veteran's Assembly today (at the School)...... I cried throughout most (if not all) of the program. I can say that it was truly wonderful......

From the start, when the two little boys with their Mother, carrying the flag, big picture of their Dad / Husband currently serving in Iraq, flashing behind them on the screen, to TAPS, where all of the Children bowed their heads ( sob, sob) to the singing of each Branch of Service songs ( whereupon, the Vet's stood proudly) ..

If you get the opportunity next year, I wholeheartedly encourage you to attend... the pride; glory and honor were positively tangible...

My daughter is a 6th grade cheerleader & was in the group that went to Ky over the week-end. She didn't want to go to school today but I told her she had to. She loves school but was very upset about attending today. I had forgot about the assembly. After loosing her grandfather last year the assembly was pretty ruff on her. Last time she heard the Taps was at his funeral last year. She said the assemly was beautiful but she cried & thought of her papa the same time. If she would have only reminded me...I probably would have had her skip today.

Go to Top of Page

Star_Rider
Advanced Member

USA
8666 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The 2 things that will bring a tear to my eyes 1) TAPS 2)Amazing Grace on the Pipes.

Spes Mea in Deo Est
Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The Star Spangled Banner always brings tears to my eyes when I hear it sung in a public setting. I thought I was going to start openly sobbing when I was at Seaworld and they had all the soldiers stand up and they played it with pictures flashing across the big screen. I had to practically bite my lip in half.

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Oh My .... The Assembly WAS beautiful ... but I can only imagine just how much of a reminder of Papa and his passing this would be.

Sometimes, as Parents we beat ourselves up over decisions made.
If there is anything that I could say by way of comfort, as much as this was a real moment where memories would be a true focus and painful... it might be a catalyst of sorts.... even though the Assembly was emotional, I'm quite sure that in the midst of her anguish, your Daughter was able to acknowledge her pride also... there are probably going to be several milestones for her to overcome, but she just faced a major one, unexpected, but major none the less.... In my thoughts

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]I went to the Veteran's Assembly today (at the School)...... I cried throughout most (if not all) of the program. I can say that it was truly wonderful......

My daughter is a 6th grade cheerleader & was in the group that went to Ky over the week-end. She didn't want to go to school today but I told her she had to. She loves school but was very upset about attending today. I had forgot about the assembly. After loosing her grandfather last year the assembly was pretty ruff on her. Last time she heard the Taps was at his funeral last year. She said the assemly was beautiful but she cried & thought of her papa the same time. If she would have only reminded me...I probably would have had her skip today.

Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

glad that you got that car that I sent over for you... you owe me one

Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/13/2006 :  10:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]The 2 things that will bring a tear to my eyes 1) TAPS 2)Amazing Grace on the Pipes.

And The BUCKS beating that team up north Saturday
Go to Top of Page

Star_Rider
Advanced Member

USA
8666 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  08:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by hornet86[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]The 2 things that will bring a tear to my eyes 1) TAPS 2)Amazing Grace on the Pipes.

And The BUCKS beating that team up north Saturday

But those are TEARS OF JOY
GO BUCKS

OH

Spes Mea in Deo Est
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  09:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I guess as men we do not show much crying.. But i can say without a doubt when I here the star spangled banner being played, It starts with a tingle up and down my back and then tears come to my eyes. This started after I spent 5 years in the military and served with some of the greatest men and women ever. Tears of joy becasue I was able to join them in serving my country. Tears of sadness for the ones we can only remember and tears of happiness for the ones we can still hold and embrace.

thank a Vet for your ability to write what ever you want here. They helped preserve your rights.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Star_Rider
Advanced Member

USA
8666 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  09:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br]I guess as men we do not show much crying.. But i can say without a doubt when I here the star spangled banner being played, It starts with a tingle up and down my back and then tears come to my eyes. This started after I spent 5 years in the military and served with some of the greatest men and women ever. Tears of joy becasue I was able to join them in serving my country. Tears of sadness for the ones we can only remember and tears of happiness for the ones we can still hold and embrace.

thank a Vet for your ability to write what ever you want here. They helped preserve your rights.

AMEN BROTHER, AMEN

To all Vets. "PRESENT...........ARMS"

Spes Mea in Deo Est
Go to Top of Page

Brandy

USA
5722 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  10:07:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Oh My .... The Assembly WAS beautiful ... but I can only imagine just how much of a reminder of Papa and his passing this would be.

Sometimes, as Parents we beat ourselves up over decisions made.
If there is anything that I could say by way of comfort, as much as this was a real moment where memories would be a true focus and painful... it might be a catalyst of sorts.... even though the Assembly was emotional, I'm quite sure that in the midst of her anguish, your Daughter was able to acknowledge her pride also... there are probably going to be several milestones for her to overcome, but she just faced a major one, unexpected, but major none the less.... In my thoughts

quote:
[br]
quote:

Thank you so much. I'm not going to beat this topic to death but I just have 1 more thing to say.
Her teacher from last year knew about everything. She was near my daughter at the assembly. Last night when we talked before going to bed (something we ALWAYS do) my daughter told me when this teacher saw her getting upset...she looked at her & told her "to suck it up."
My daughter took this as being very cold hearted. I feel so bad she had to have both things coming at her at 1 time. As a parent wer'e supposed to be able to give them another perspective as to what something like this might have meant...instead. I had no words for her.

Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  10:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tracy,

I didn't realize you were of the male species. :)

What branch were you in?

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page

Serene

USA
2093 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  12:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Branded...that does sound cold hearted and had I been in your shows...not sure what I would have said. But I could be wrong here...I usually am. TC my friend!

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Tracy,

What branch were you in?

Funny how we assume so many things ... I will start another thread on my name it is very funny...

I spent time as a security policeman in the us Air force. I was also a sgt for the the EST ( Emergency Service Teams) swat teams. And on the Color Guard team for the base and we serviced all of Indiana for military color guards

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Tracy,

What branch were you in?

uh duh... that is because you do not pay attention to people

Go to Top of Page

clarksteel1
Average Member

USA
992 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

After 11 years in the Navy and serving on honor guards for many burials at sea and other funerals I cannot hear Taps or Amazing Grace played without getting a little misty- I make no apologies for it and would probably take grat umbrage if someone told me to "suck it up". Umbrage being a nice word for kickin a little booty.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by clarksteel1[/i]
[br]After 11 years in the Navy and serving on honor guards for many burials at sea and other funerals I cannot hear Taps or Amazing Grace played without getting a little misty- I make no apologies for it and would probably take grat umbrage if someone told me to "suck it up". Umbrage being a nice word for kickin a little booty.

Wow any one that can hot bunk it for 11 years .. Hats off to you Clark

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Pax

3518 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/14/2006 :  3:57:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I bet we have a lot of military people in Monroe.

My husband is a SSG in the Army. He works for JAG. I spent four years in working as a personnel clerk, then ETS'd a year after my son was born because we knew too many married military couples that were having to send their children to relatives because they both got deployed (Family Care plan always made me very uncomfortable).

Sapere Aude,
Angela

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM