Teachers Union Endorses Obama 2012
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Politically Right

281 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  10:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The nation's largest education union has endorsed President Barack Obama's 2012 re-election campaign.

On July 4th , National Education Association Representative Assembly delegates, local leaders from all over the USA, voted 5,414 to 2,102 to endorse Obama.

In a statement, NEA President Dennis Van Roekel says Obama and the union share a vision and members wanted early and strong support to help his election.

The endorsement comes a day after Vice President Joe Biden addressed thousands of educators at the convention. The association has 3.2 million members and bills itself as the largest labor union nationwide.

Unions such as this that blindly give their support to a candidate or unexplainably keep their support from another candidate is part of the reason unions have developed an extremely bad name amongst many Americans. Actions such as these suggest improprieties or back-room deals of sorts. Such illogical moves are bad for a respectable reputation. And at no other time in our nation's history has education needed a respectable reputation among Americans more.

In recent times, educators have expressed severe, widespread discontent with the way education has been conducted and the way it is headed in the U.S. Yet, the largest teachers’ union in the land moves to back Obama for more of the same – again, without even knowing who Obama will be running against.

By endorsing Obama this early, what incentive does any GOP candidate have to try to please the teachers and education en masse when he or she has already been told Obama is being endorsed in the 2012 election by the teachers' union?

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  11:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

what a shocker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

RichardCranium

21 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  1:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Politically Right[/i]
[br]

The nation's largest education union has endorsed President Barack Obama's 2012 re-election campaign.

On July 4th , National Education Association Representative Assembly delegates, local leaders from all over the USA, voted 5,414 to 2,102 to endorse Obama.

In a statement, NEA President Dennis Van Roekel says Obama and the union share a vision and members wanted early and strong support to help his election.

The endorsement comes a day after Vice President Joe Biden addressed thousands of educators at the convention. The association has 3.2 million members and bills itself as the largest labor union nationwide.

Unions such as this that blindly give their support to a candidate or unexplainably keep their support from another candidate is part of the reason unions have developed an extremely bad name amongst many Americans. Actions such as these suggest improprieties or back-room deals of sorts. Such illogical moves are bad for a respectable reputation. And at no other time in our nation's history has education needed a respectable reputation among Americans more.

In recent times, educators have expressed severe, widespread discontent with the way education has been conducted and the way it is headed in the U.S. Yet, the largest teachers’ union in the land moves to back Obama for more of the same – again, without even knowing who Obama will be running against.

By endorsing Obama this early, what incentive does any GOP candidate have to try to please the teachers and education en masse when he or she has already been told Obama is being endorsed in the 2012 election by the teachers' union?

Of course they are going to endorse him...they are all in bed with the Marxist.
Go to Top of Page

OEA

30 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  2:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Each year in late June and early July, members of the Ohio Education Association attend the Representative Assembly of the National Education Association (NEA RA) and join with approximately 10,000 of their colleagues from around the nation to set policy and make education-related decisions designed to influence and improve our nation’s system of public education.

As an Ohio constituency we agree with the NEA. Obama is on the right funding path (and Kasich is clearly going down the wrong path). With the repeal of SB5 and the re-election of Obama, Ohio has an opportunity to 'right the ship' and return to normalacy in teacher relations and community respect.

http://www.ohea.org/
Go to Top of Page

dad0f3

590 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  2:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by OEA[/i]
[br]Each year in late June and early July, members of the Ohio Education Association attend the Representative Assembly of the National Education Association (NEA RA) and join with approximately 10,000 of their colleagues from around the nation to set policy and make
education-related decisions designed to influence and improve our nation’s system of public education.

As an Ohio constituency we agree with the NEA, Obama is on the right funding path (and Kasich is clearly going down the wrong path). With the repeal of SB5 and the re-election of Obama, Ohio has an opportunity to 'right the ship' and return to normalacy in teacher relations and community respect.

Please. First off, I hardly think a president should be elected based on where he stands on school funding. Secondly, if you ever want citizens to vote for another school levy, you better support a candidate who'll stop bankrupting the country and do something to actually grow the economy instead of throwing all his phony printed money at his lobby groups. If unemployment was back down around 5% where it was for most of the last decade and we had an administration that actually believed in and supported free markets, people might have a little more money to give to schools.

The Democratic party whores itself out to the NEA every election cycle, so this is no big surprise....
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  3:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Vote NO on all school levies. Stop the abuse of the teachers and their unions on tax payers and their children.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  3:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This isn't a big surprise given how Republican governors across the country have seemed to decided that it's teachers and their unions that were at fault for the economic downturn (how are those approval ratings for them by the way?)

(no need to look that one up, the answer is not good: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/05/19/republican-governor-popularity-plummets-from-ohios-kasich-to-floridas-scott-to-wisconsins-walker.html from less than a month and a half ago)

Anyway this isn't a surprise and it doesn't matter much. Does anyone honestly think that the Republican candidates would attempt to get the NEA on their side? Especially after the last few years.

Voting no on a school levy does hurt those big bad teachers making $30k to $70k (on average) some, since it might cost a few of them their jobs, but it really hurts the kids a lot more. So while you shouldn't blindly vote yes on every single one, trying to punish schools by voting no is going to have unintended consequences for kids in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  3:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

What about those teachers who do not support Obama? Do they not have a right to be heard? What about their union dues going to support a reelection of Obama?

It's not really fair for public unions to use dues to pay for political reasons.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Matt_Steele[/i]
[br]This isn't a big surprise given how Republican governors across the country have seemed to decided that it's teachers and their unions that were at fault for the economic downturn (how are those approval ratings for them by the way?)

(no need to look that one up, the answer is not good: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/05/19/republican-governor-popularity-plummets-from-ohios-kasich-to-floridas-scott-to-wisconsins-walker.html from less than a month and a half ago)

Anyway this isn't a surprise and it doesn't matter much. Does anyone honestly think that the Republican candidates would attempt to get the NEA on their side? Especially after the last few years.

Voting no on a school levy does hurt those big bad teachers making $30k to $70k (on average) some, since it might cost a few of them their jobs, but it really hurts the kids a lot more. So while you shouldn't blindly vote yes on every single one, trying to punish schools by voting no is going to have unintended consequences for kids in my opinion.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

dad0f3

590 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  3:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]What about those teachers who do not support Obama? Do they not have a right to be heard? What about their union dues going to support a reelection of Obama?

It's not really fair for public unions to use dues to pay for political reasons.

Years ago, I was forced to join the commercial food workers union while I was employed by a local grocery chain. At one point, I was told of an alleged provision in Ohio law that allowed you to reduce your dues by some pre-determined amount that represented your contribution to political campaigns supported by the union. I don't know if it still exists or not, but it might be worth some research if you find yourself in this situation.
Go to Top of Page

RichardCranium

21 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  5:00:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by OEA[/i]
[br]Each year in late June and early July, members of the Ohio Education Association attend the Representative Assembly of the National Education Association (NEA RA) and join with approximately 10,000 of their colleagues from around the nation to set policy and make education-related decisions designed to influence and improve our nation’s system of public education.

As an Ohio constituency we agree with the NEA. Obama is on the right funding path (and Kasich is clearly going down the wrong path). With the repeal of SB5 and the re-election of Obama, Ohio has an opportunity to 'right the ship' and return to normalacy in teacher relations and community respect.

Thankfully, the majority of AMERICANS and OHIOANS think differently! SB5 will not be repealed and Obama will not be re-elected, no matter how hard the unions try to BUY these elections. It's time for the people working in the public sector (paid with taxpayer $$) to get the exact same treatment as the rest of us working in the private sector that MUST do a profitable, efficient job or find yourself in the unemployment line. Welcome to the NEW REALITY of the 21st century!! Either be productive in a very competitive global ecomony or be removed and replaced by someone that will work. The American people have finally had their eyes opened to the realities of one Barrack Hussein Obama. Every single policy he has put into play has been a major failure, as we knew it would be from the beginning. It's time for fiscal responsibility and time to get back on the Constitutional path of our country's foundation. So quit belly aching about SB5 and all the handout's that Barry "The Marxist" Osama will promise you if you give him all your union dues.
Go to Top of Page

Pakkratt

20 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/05/2011 :  8:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by RichardCranium[/i]
[br][quote][i]Originally posted by OEA[/i]
[br] The American people have finally had their eyes opened to the realities of one Barrack Hussein Obama. Every single policy he has put into play has been a major failure, as we knew it would be from the beginning. It's time for fiscal responsibility and time to get back on the Constitutional path of our country's foundation. So quit belly aching about SB5 and all the handout's that Barry "The Marxist" Osama will promise you if you give him all your union dues.

AMEN RICHARD!! I could not have said it better.

All we need now is Purplepassion from TT singing "C'mon Baby Light My Fire!"

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/06/2011 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You are so correct Richard.

OEA is just another democratic tool never tells the truth on anything.

Since my tax dollars pay for teachers and they pay union dues with tax money I believe there should be a vote on who the teachers support or not allow the union to endorse and give my tax dollars to a campaign I don't endorse.
Go to Top of Page

pootie

USA
100 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/06/2011 :  07:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Anyone that doesn't think SB5 will be repelled isnt a student of history on labor relations and the voting public in Ohio. Look it up.
Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/06/2011 :  12:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by pootie[/i]
[br]Anyone that doesn't think SB5 will be repelled isnt a student of history on labor relations and the voting public in Ohio. Look it up.

I agree it probably will get appealed and then all the public sector people that loose their jobs will cry because the union can't help. Repeal SB5 and watch the public sector jobs and money start to go away.

Why repeal it when the schools can't have a balanced budget.

You want the Federal Government to blalnce their but don't expect the same for the city/schools. WHY?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24
Pizza Hut Wing Street

City