The Voice
 Republicans secretly love government?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/23/2012 :  11:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Republican primary voters seem to enjoy saying that they support big gov't cuts, but don't really want to cut anything (except foreign aid, which sooo many people misunderstand, as far as size and purpose).

http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2012/03/22/republican-primary-voters-embrace-government-no-really/

Only 17% of Republican primary voters wanted to cut spending on health research. Only 20% wanted to cut Social Security or Medicare. In fact, only 32% wanted to cut Medicaid and only 36% wanted to cut aid to the poor. Majorities of GOP primary voters were willing to cut only four things: unemployment benefits, spending on housing, spending on the environment, and foreign aid.

However this isn't surprising. People nearly always say that they want to cut gov't but then say that they *support* nearly all gov't programs.

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Cuts are coming one way or the other. Either our politicians can be adults about it or the massive debt will make government borrowing impossible.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2012 :  7:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

sure, but the point is that's not what the American people really want (at least at a specific level). If politicians only want to be re-elected, can they really do something unpopular?
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2012 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There are a few who are serious about cuts, like Jeff Flake or the Paul's. But for the most part all politicians love big government because it gives them money and power.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/26/2012 :  07:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Nobody wants to do the heavy lifting because this means ruffling feathers and losing votes. What choice do we have when we are borrowing .42 cents on a dollar? To say it's too unpopular and go on is insane! We have made commitments that are unsustainable and unattainable in every aspect of finance in our system. We are not even talking about some of the biggest cliffs, such as retirement commitments that cannot be met.

We whistle thru the graveyard everyday hoping it isn't true or hoping it will just go away.

Republicans come out with a plan and are beaten severely over the head politically for doing so. I have never seen a Democratic plan, other than more of the same. What is their plan. What is the end game, and what does it look like? How do they purpose we stay afloat? Do we awake one morning, and life as we have known it has changed till we barely recognize where we are? I would like to know what they see the future as being? Do I just continue on the path of buying gold, guns, and MRE?
When is it time to get out of Dodge, and where do I go? Just curious?

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/26/2012 :  10:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dannyboy[/i]
[br]There are a few who are serious about cuts, like Jeff Flake or the Paul's. But for the most part all politicians love big government because it gives them money and power.

So how do we change that? Individually, we can really only impact 3 elections. 2 senators and 1 representative.
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/26/2012 :  10:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Matt_Steele[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dannyboy[/i]
[br]There are a few who are serious about cuts, like Jeff Flake or the Paul's. But for the most part all politicians love big government because it gives them money and power.

So how do we change that? Individually, we can really only impact 3 elections. 2 senators and 1 representative.

Other than voting and otherwise influencing politicians, there's not much we can do. It's the worst system on earth......except for all the other ones.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/26/2012 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Matt_Steele[/i]
[br]sure, but the point is that's not what the American people really want (at least at a specific level). If politicians only want to be re-elected, can they really do something unpopular?

It is exactly what the American people want, because they keep reelecting representatives who will write checks for them on the US treasury. We are fiscally totally irresponsible as voters!

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/26/2012 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

That's probably true. It's also why we have enumerated powers under Article 1 Section 8. If the courts actually enforced that from time to time (like the Obamacare case maybe?), government would be smaller and spending less. Unfortunately, the Commerce Clause has been interpreted as covering nearly anything Congress feels inclined to do.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City