Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/22/2012 :  08:29:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So where has the money disappeared to ?
Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/22/2012 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

All the others are in the same range, but what is going on with Princeton?
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/22/2012 :  09:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

But the others are not MILLIONS in the RED.
Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/22/2012 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Too Many Hobbies[/i]
[br]All the others are in the same range, but what is going on with Princeton?

The things offered at Princeton can't be touched by other schools around here. Unless you've gone there, you wont understand. Princeton is 1 of 4 I believe in the state that offers IB courses amongst other things like technology courses, etc.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/22/2012 :  10:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The problem isn't excessive spending per student. Its capital spending outside what is considered cost per student.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Stadium, the New School Campus, the Admin Building are all examples of capital spending. Also there is spending to take care of these facilities, those costs aren't considered in the cost per student as I understand.

Compared to other schools the spending per student is very low. That tells me that excellence will be difficult to be sustained in the long run.

No spending is only an indicator. With great teachers Monroe maintains the highest ratings. Our best teachers like Dave Farrish, spark kids imagination with real classroom discovery and fun. There are many great teachers in Monroe I credit them more than the school board or the administration for the schools excellent ratings.

As a businessman over the years I have heard things that make me cringe. Like when Head Coach and AD John Singleton retired and Jason Krause asked for the job. He was told by the super and the board that the AD and Head Coach positions MUST be separated. Here we had a chance to keep costs down by employing one for 2 spots, yet we voted to spend. Jason left the district in disgust and we are now talking about combining the AD position with the principals.

There are other wasteful spending topics that I will leave for others to discuss. Just let me leave you with this comment,

If we are spending less per student, and our district has essentially been unable to fund itself properly since 2005 (or earlier), then something BIG has to change. To keep doing what we are doing is the definition of insanity.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/22/2012 :  11:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Just an FYI, there really hasn't been any study to show that there is a positive relationship between spending on education (at a federal, state OR local level) and student success/achievement.

While I'm not solidly in that camp at the moment, I think the general idea of it's not how much money, it's how you spend it has some substance behind it.

Warning, I'm about to link to a liberal website!

http://www.americanprogress.org/pressroom/releases/2011/01/roi_national_release.html

The report revealed that school districts could significantly boost student achievement without increasing spending if they used their money more productively. A highly inefficient Arizona district, for example, could see as much as a 36 percent boost in achievement if it dramatically increased its efficiency, all else equal. The study also found that low productivity costs the nation’s school system as much as $175 billion a year. That approximate loss in capacity equals about 1 percent of the nation’s GDP.
Go to Top of Page

info@monroehornets.com
Starting Member

7 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/24/2012 :  6:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

John you are completely correct in stating something BIG has to change.

I encourage the community to email me at info@monroehornets.com so I can have fifteen minutes of their time so they can learn the major impact they can have on changing the financial situation of Monroe Schools.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]The problem isn't excessive spending per student. Its capital spending outside what is considered cost per student.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Stadium, the New School Campus, the Admin Building are all examples of capital spending. Also there is spending to take care of these facilities, those costs aren't considered in the cost per student as I understand.

Compared to other schools the spending per student is very low. That tells me that excellence will be difficult to be sustained in the long run.

No spending is only an indicator. With great teachers Monroe maintains the highest ratings. Our best teachers like Dave Farrish, spark kids imagination with real classroom discovery and fun. There are many great teachers in Monroe I credit them more than the school board or the administration for the schools excellent ratings.

As a businessman over the years I have heard things that make me cringe. Like when Head Coach and AD John Singleton retired and Jason Krause asked for the job. He was told by the super and the board that the AD and Head Coach positions MUST be separated. Here we had a chance to keep costs down by employing one for 2 spots, yet we voted to spend. Jason left the district in disgust and we are now talking about combining the AD position with the principals.

There are other wasteful spending topics that I will leave for others to discuss. Just let me leave you with this comment,

If we are spending less per student, and our district has essentially been unable to fund itself properly since 2005 (or earlier), then something BIG has to change. To keep doing what we are doing is the definition of insanity.

Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 05/24/2012 :  11:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

A third of the schools listed aren't in Butler county.
Go to Top of Page

Monroe8
Starting Member

4 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/18/2012 :  11:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am curious how the people who invested in bonds for the purchase of the Berns property feel about their investment now?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City