quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dannyboy[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]I do wonder what would have been "Achieved" if your no votes win.

there will be another levy....more money spent....so really..what did you achieve?

Sure you would have succeeded in your finger pointing campaign, but your wallet won't end up being any fatter in the long run.

This argument assumes the taxpayers aren't allowed to make a decision, and the proper role of government is to just keep putting levies on the ballot until one passes. That's not very democratic.

The people voted. The levy failed. Elections have consequences. The next step is up to the board (possibly more cuts) and the state (possible consolidation). If the people of Monroe don't want a levy, then they will get something else.

Take a look at how many times they put the levy on the ballot in Little Miami before it passes. Just because it was voted NO didn't make it go away.

the only consequences to this no vote is we will borrow more money from the state which we will eventually have to pay back and we will have to spend another 20K+ to fund the levy in November.

more levy's will continue, unless the state consolidates the district in which case again I ask you what did we accomplish?

The next step isn't up to the board...the board doens't control things anymore. the state is in control. people seem to forget that though.

none the less...I'll stand by and watch my homes value go further down the tubes.

Huh? The point is, levies SHOULDN'T keep going on the ballot, at least until something changes. The people said no. That's it. Time for Plan B, whatever that is. If its a state ordered consolidation, so be it. Elections matter. Why should there be a re-vote every few months? We don't do that for our elected officials.

The only reasons I see for another levy vote are:

- The passage of time. A year or more.
- A major factual change. Like a firm commitment by the state to consolidate unless a levy passes, i.e., "If you don't vote for this you are now Middletown schools."

Otherwise, it's just asking for a do-over. The people said no. Let's see what happens now.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]I do wonder what would have been "Achieved" if your no votes win.

there will be another levy....more money spent....so really..what did you achieve?

Sure you would have succeeded in your finger pointing campaign, but your wallet won't end up being any fatter in the long run.

This argument assumes the taxpayers aren't allowed to make a decision, and the proper role of government is to just keep putting levies on the ballot until one passes. That's not very democratic.

The people voted. The levy failed. Elections have consequences. The next step is up to the board (possibly more cuts) and the state (possible consolidation). If the people of Monroe don't want a levy, then they will get something else.

Take a look at how many times they put the levy on the ballot in Little Miami before it passes. Just because it was voted NO didn't make it go away.

the only consequences to this no vote is we will borrow more money from the state which we will eventually have to pay back and we will have to spend another 20K+ to fund the levy in November.

more levy's will continue, unless the state consolidates the district in which case again I ask you what did we accomplish?

The next step isn't up to the board...the board doens't control things anymore. the state is in control. people seem to forget that though.

none the less...I'll stand by and watch my homes value go further down the tubes.

Huh? The point is, levies SHOULDN'T keep going on the ballot, at least until something changes. The people said no. That's it. Time for Plan B, whatever that is. If its a state ordered consolidation, so be it. Elections matter. Why should there be a re-vote every few months? We don't do that for our elected officials.

The only reasons I see for another levy vote are:

- The passage of time. A year or more.
- A major factual change. Like a firm commitment by the state to consolidate unless a levy passes, i.e., "If you don't vote for this you are now Middletown schools."

Otherwise, it's just asking for a do-over. The people said no. Let's see what happens now.

Ok

thanks for making your point about levies, but simply put that isn't how things work here. It will go back on the ballot. It went on 8 times I believe in Little Miami. It didn't go away cause it was voted down.

Monroe owes money, what do you think because a levy was voted down the debt just goes away??

School funding in this state has been ruled unconstitutional more than once...yet it remains the same. So go ahead and keep trying to make sense of this mess.

The levy will be on the ballot until it passes or we end up part of another district. You can give me every reason in the book why you think that is wrong but you still wouldn't be living in reality.

See you at the polls in November....and then February after that.....how many chances will they give us?
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I voted yes, so don't lump me in with the people you perceive as wrong headed. But that doesn't make it right to keep putting up levies until one sticks. If it passed would you want a re-vote? If the state is REALLY going to consolidate (rather than vaguely threaten to do so), then let's see that in writing. Maybe that will kick the voters in the @ss enough to pass it.

As for the courts, yes, the funding system was ruled unconstitutional. But then they punted it all back to the legislature so it was a toothless ruling.
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So only 2,167 people voted? I would never have guessed that it would be that low. How many registered voters are there in Monroe????

Either way (1,044 YES and 1,123 NO) this was pretty pathetic.

GOOD NEWS. For a Presidential election the turnout should be MUCH higher in November. That's only about 89 days away.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I voted yes, so don't lump me in with the people you perceive as wrong headed. But that doesn't make it right to keep putting up levies until one sticks. If it passed would you want a re-vote? If the state is REALLY going to consolidate (rather than vaguely threaten to do so), then let's see that in writing. Maybe that will kick the voters in the @ss enough to pass it.

As for the courts, yes, the funding system was ruled unconstitutional. But then they punted it all back to the legislature so it was a toothless ruling.

I never said anything was right or wrong. I simply said that is how it is. If I'm wrong you let me know. I believe it took Little Miami 8 tried to pass theirs. The "no" results didn't stop them from putting more up.

Don't go by me and what I say, look it up.
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The state should get down to business. If consolidation (and a tax increase by default) is the answer, let's see that get underway and then see what happens. Show people what the alternative is, in concrete written terms. Then let them vote again. I bet 5% might change their minds about their vote then.

Re-voting in 3 months with the same issue is silly IMO. People will hear the same theoretical arguments. I'd rather show them the alternatives for real. After all, people kept complaining that other options weren't explored. OK. Let's explore.
Go to Top of Page

SwtCaroline

USA
40 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was told that alot of things i asked out of Ms. Lolli on The Voice was discussed at meetings. My kids are in college and i no longer go to those meetings. Very few of my neighbors have kids at the school so they dont go either. In my opinion Ms Lolli could have sold this levy-from what Ive seen so far this vote was close
Maybe a letter from her heart to the Monroe residents placed in the newspaper/a mailer/something explaining why and what shes going to do. What has been put in place to ensure a positive future and educational experience for our kids. Maybe some public understanding on her part as to the hardship it imposes/etc. I had to get my info here and thats probably why i didnt vote. Its just my opinion but i feel she is a poor leader and doesnt seem to care. I think we got what we deserved under that leadership. The "buck stops here" approach from her would have passed this in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

sunflower23

USA
376 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Lolli,Guido,Stone resign.
Go to Top of Page

Active in Monroe

18 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by SwtCaroline[/i]
[br]I dont think it means we suck as a community if it fails Active but i understand your position. I didnt end up voting because i understand both sides. I simply didnt feel passionate either way. If it passes i will gladly pay it and hope for more accountability and the best for the kids. If it fails hopefully its a wake up call that these times of the "bailout" are over. Its expensive enough however paying for my own mistakes.
Ive been here for 23 years now and one thing i can guarantee you is that this community doesnt suck regardless of the results of this election.

Great communities support the things that make their communities great. It might be circular....but it sounded good. You take care of the schools, fire, police, the elderly and the handicapped. You gotta support the basics. If we don't stand for and support the basics...what do we actually stand for?

Why would any family want to move to Monroe when we won't even support our own schools? It's a non starter. Ironically, Middletown, which I *used* to think was a hole compared to Monroe (apologies to Middletown residents) managed to pass a levy. LOL...the irony. I go to bed tonight with a better impression of Middletown AND it's future than I do with that of Monroe's. Shame
Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Too Many Hobbies[/i]
[br]Well, you can expect all donations to Catnip and Carrots to cease from our family. We have given in the past, but now we cannot. Need to save for private school. Also, while I will continue to vote for fire and police issues if they make sense, no more votes for senior services, or animal issues. I need to make sure the money goes where it is really needed. The seniors can find somewhere else to play bridge and the animals, while I feel sorry for them, are just animals.

I can count on one hand the number of people who have donated money to C&C. If you are one of them, again I thank you. We have spent nearly $5000 in Monroe with less than $400 in donations since 2006 - the majority of that from a very generous fireman. We are subsidised by our California supporters & our own deep pockets.

As you said, you will support something if it makes sense. This levy did not make sense to me. I want a better plan. I pray the school & state commission has something definitive for November that I can support. Idle threats of higher taxes & consolidation while not offering us hard numbers was not good enough for the majority of voters today.

Go to Top of Page

SwtCaroline

USA
40 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/07/2012 :  11:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This town has been in emergency mode before and we figured it out. We will figure this out too and get through it. I think more accountability is in order and we need to know what our money is buying. You wanna give the wino on the street 5 bucks or would you rather give them some food? My wife gets mad when i give them money because they might buy more booze. Maybe she's right. Maybe we do deserve some answers when we hand over our cash.
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  12:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by buckeyenut[/i]
[br]It says as a community we demand better.

But want someone else to pay for it.
Go to Top of Page

skydiver

383 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  12:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Maybe we can fly this on our new overpass.

WELCOME TO THE CITY OF MONROE
HOME OF THE FINEST DOG PARK IN THE STATE OF OHIO

If you cant stand the heat, don't light the match
Go to Top of Page

Active in Monroe

18 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  12:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by skydiver[/i]
[br]Maybe we can fly this on our new overpass.

It certainly won't be "We Support our Schools".
Go to Top of Page

Monroeohio45050

13 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  01:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Active in Monroe[/i]
[br]
quote:

----
And its certinly better than " proudly growing in debt"
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  01:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I want to thank everyone that worked for the passage of this levy. Yes, I am disappointed that it didn't pass, but I am not surprised. I fully appreciate how difficult it is for anyone not deeply involved in public education finance to understand just how bad Ohio’s school funding process really is. Monroe’s tax rate is one of the highest in the county, that it yields one of the least amounts of money per student. For example, compare our district to others. Princeton, which is in both Butler and Hamilton counties. Their tax rate is 26.14 mills while ours is 40.14. Yet that provides Princeton $15,270 per student, while Monroe gets only $8,778. That is the most extreme example I admit. Still, even before the knowledge of the district's financial disaster was known, it was already spending nearly the least per student in Butler County. We most certainly are today. And despite the spending cuts, there simply is not enough money to continue operations, and repay the debt we face.

CM that pointed out that our state's system of funding public schools has been declared unconstitutional by the Ohio Supreme Court. In fact they did so not just once, but FOUR times. Worst of all, the final time, the court "referred" this nightmare to the state's legislature, meaning that after that, no one in Ohio can take the inequity to the court system. Even with a combined (Monroe and Butler Tech) board experience of eighteen years, I don’t’ begin to know how to explain this to nightmare to the public.

I appreciate the viewpoint of those opposed to the levy. My greatest disappointment however is that so few were willing to openly discuss the district’s real situation, here out the reality of it, or share their specific ideas of how to lower district costs. For more than six months I repeatedly asked to meet with any individual or group to discuss things. Only one person was willing to do so. ONE. This was not a request that people blindly listen to my view, but an invitation for anyone to share theirs. I don’t mean platitudes and generalities such as sharpen our pencils, a generic call for us to cuts costs, etc. That does nothing for our kids. If there are specific ideas of how to do so, I want to hear them. My phone number is 513 594-1947, and my email address is tbirdwell@monroelocalschools.com.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

skydiver

383 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  06:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Active in Monroe[/i]
[br]
quote:

As do I! Lets get this thing passed in November and move on.

If you cant stand the heat, don't light the match
Go to Top of Page

Itsforthekids

78 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  06:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Well, you can expect all donations to Catnip and Carrots to cease from our family. We have given in the past, but now we cannot. Need to save for private school. Also, while I will continue to vote for fire and police issues if they make sense, no more votes for senior services, or animal issues. I need to make sure the money goes where it is really needed. The seniors can find somewhere else to play bridge and the animals, while I feel sorry for them, are just animals.

Don't forget the Monroe historical society, civil war days, light up the sky, and the lending library. All stuff that has been jammed down our throat that we should support.

Dogs can get their bones at the tylersville park
Go to Top of Page

Itsforthekids

78 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  06:52:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by The Schraders[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]It says as a community we demand better.

And as a parent I demand better for my children and their education! By voting no you are not demanding anything. You are not punishing the people who put us in this mess! You are punishing the kids, yourself and everyone else in the community who owns property!

But see that is the thing WE are parents, it has been said over and over that we screwed up by "procreating". Do a voice search for procreate and see who uses that word.

We let our kids down today.
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Heart of Gold? Sad is all I can say after reading this...
Now I feel sorry for some kids....
What message are we hoping to convey here?
If the elderly and some households could not truly afford any increase and made the effort to exert their right to vote - we should disrespect their decision because they made a personal and responsible choice for their household and now...we should punish them!
How about a few words for your supporters who did not make the effort to vote? Nah, better to be haters and disrespect your elders.
THREATS! THREATS! THREATS! Teach the children....
Wow! Just really WOW!

quote:

Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

LOL so because the levy failed your gonna go into hysteria and send your kids to private school. Well you should probably do it anyway because this levy did nothing to improve education all it was for was to pay back waste.
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Wow again! Historical society preserves our history in the community and serves as an educational resource.
Civil War days - We should not be reminded of an event that caused many Americans to turn against each other in the pursuit to continue racism and treat Gods children as property and not living souls and those who fought to free them. Nah, not a lesson to remember to work together for greater things...
Lending Library - another educational resource...free and available to everyone regardless of their financial class...
Light up the sky - a celebration of our historical break from tyranny and taxation without representation. A celebration of standing up for what you believe in and winning despite all the odds. To show with hard work, fortitude, dedication and a dream of something better - anything can be achieved...

And lastly, a neglected, strip of public property to be paid for out of private donations and sponsors to be made usable and yet another amenity under the city belt with NO cost to the city...

Yep....sorry for more kids in the community ----
What is this taking away from them much less teaching them...
Hmmmmm

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Itsforthekids[/i]
Don't forget the Monroe historical society, civil war days, light up the sky, and the lending library. All stuff that has been jammed down our throat that we should support.

Dogs can get their bones at the tylersville park

Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

What other ways are there for a school to bring in $5 million to pay the debt ?

One way or the other the debt will be paid either it being through a levy or if by chance we consolidate the new district will absorb that debt, which will be passed on to us.
Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  09:58:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Happy HarperValley Rez[/i]
[br]Heart of Gold? Sad is all I can say after reading this...
Now I feel sorry for some kids....
What message are we hoping to convey here?
If the elderly and some households could not truly afford any increase and made the effort to exert their right to vote - we should disrespect their decision because they made a personal and responsible choice for their household and now...we should punish them!
How about a few words for your supporters who did not make the effort to vote? Nah, better to be haters and disrespect your elders.
THREATS! THREATS! THREATS! Teach the children....
Wow! Just really WOW!

quote:

I expect that the number of people in this town that truely cannot afford this levy is a very very small number, much less than 1000. Likely less than 100, and possibly even 10. If you look at the costs on a weekly or monthly basis it does not amount to much compared to other expenses. The vast majority of the people that voted against it were either ignorant of the implications, or do not have children and choose to not care. There are also a select few that are just plain spiteful, and that brings out the worst in others, including me. I respect my elders, my parents, and some of my great neighbors here in Monroe. I have NO respect for a select few posters on this board that are full of nothing but hate, spite, and misinformation.

The pro-levy side, the superintendent, and the school board need to do a better job explaining the implications to others (especially ones that do not read the Voice). We can improve these results with getting the right information out.

Our taxes are going to go up. It is up to us to decide if they go up as Monroe Local Schools or as Middletown Schools.
Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:

I can count on one hand the number of people who have donated money to C&C. If you are one of them, again I thank you. We have spent nearly $5000 in Monroe with less than $400 in donations since 2006 - the majority of that from a very generous fireman. We are subsidised by our California supporters & our own deep pockets.

As you said, you will support something if it makes sense. This levy did not make sense to me. I want a better plan. I pray the school & state commission has something definitive for November that I can support. Idle threats of higher taxes & consolidation while not offering us hard numbers was not good enough for the majority of voters today.

Thank you for taking the high road, after I took the low road last night. I think I should put a few on here on ignore and the conversations on here will be more productive. The few that cannot be convinced that the earth is round or the sky is blue will never be swayed.

I hope we are able to convince you that having a high quality school system under local control is in everyone's best interest.
Go to Top of Page

HornetMom33

464 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I support Monroe Local Schools, but where is Monroe's share of the record breaking $700,000,000.00 Lottery profit the state of Ohio has for funding education? Where does the money go?!
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/news/local/lottery-haul-sets-record-for-schools-1/nPwBz/
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am glad you know the financial situation of the population of Monroe community. And truly are "educated" on the economic hardships, loss of jobs, medical expenses, gas prices to commute to work when you can find it, deaths and divorces that cause 2 income households to now be 1 income households. Full time jobs reduced to part time positions, etc.

I am excited to know only 10 - maybe 100 (doubtful) have experienced any of these things happening not just here - but across the country.

I think there is enough "ignorance" (as YOU put it) to go around for both sides. Do you think those spiteful (which I attribute to the 10 - 100 number count you provided) voters will have a change of heart because of the way you chose to present your position?

I think the majority of NO votes came from people who are tired of the way things have gone with the spending of the money. How did the 1 mil debt for the Admin building benefit the kids? I need to be educated on that. And the stadium expense the good ole boys invested foolishly in?

I think the NO voters want to see a full disclosure of expenses, cut admin and asst positions (why can't the coach be the AD? It is what Krause wanted and left over.) They want a breakdown of where the money will go and where we will be in 5 yrs (this debt will not be paid for in 5 yrs and you do not have to be a CPA to know that)

I think everyone should step back and cool off - come back with a handshake and try to move forward together. This hate spewing and shaming people shows a serious lack of respect or regard for the reasons the majority said NO.
JMO
quote:
I expect that the number of people in this town that truely cannot afford this levy is a very very small number, much less than 1000. Likely less than 100, and possibly even 10. If you look at the costs on a weekly or monthly basis it does not amount to much compared to other expenses. The vast majority of the people that voted against it were either ignorant of the implications, or do not have children and choose to not care. There are also a select few that are just plain spiteful, and that brings out the worst in others, including me. I respect my elders, my parents, and some of my great neighbors here in Monroe. I have NO respect for a select few posters on this board that are full of nothing but hate, spite, and misinformation.

The pro-levy side, the superintendent, and the school board need to do a better job explaining the implications to others (especially ones that do not read the Voice). We can improve these results with getting the right information out.

Our taxes are going to go up. It is up to us to decide if they go up as Monroe Local Schools or as Middletown Schools.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Black

USA
381 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:23:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Ya know, as I get older I become more surprised by people's inability to see the bigger picture. I won't go on ad nauseum about WHY it would be in our collective best interest to have supported this levy; I'll just say this:

If you own a home here in Monroe, your value has gone down. Since your value has gone down, your taxes have also gone down. The money to pay for this levy could have came from the tax dollars you are no longer spending.

Go to Top of Page

The Schraders

349 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:25:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by HornetMom33[/i]
[br]I support Monroe Local Schools, but where is Monroe's share of the record breaking $700,000,000.00 Lottery profit the state of Ohio has for funding education? Where does the money go?!
http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/news/local/lottery-haul-sets-record-for-schools-1/nPwBz/

Good Point!! We are also supposed to be getting money from this pipeline company which we haven't seen a penny!
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

^ Good call Steve
Go to Top of Page

Itsforthekids

78 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by HornetMom33[/i]
[br]I support Monroe Local Schools, but where is Monroe's share of the record breaking $700,000,000.00 Lottery profit the state of Ohio has for funding education? Where does the money go?!

Lottery proceeds only account for 7% of ALL public school funding in ohio
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Steve, your analogy states because we voted no - the value went down and now we have less taxes... so if we had voted yes - the prop values would have gone up and thus adding additional taxes on top of the levy...

How about less city taxes to off set the school tax? Go back to the half percent from years ago for 5 years and that could go towards the increase needed for the levy?

just a thought...

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Steve Black[/i]
[br]Ya know, as I get older I become more surprised by people's inability to see the bigger picture. I won't go on ad nauseum about WHY it would be in our collective best interest to have supported this levy; I'll just say this:

If you own a home here in Monroe, your value has gone down. Since your value has gone down, your taxes have also gone down. The money to pay for this levy could have came from the tax dollars you are no longer spending.

Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:51:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My value has went down, not because of the school's issues.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Steve, your analogy states because we voted no - the value went down and now we have less taxes... so if we had voted yes - the prop values would have gone up and thus adding additional taxes on top of the levy...

How about less city taxes to off set the school tax? Go back to the half percent from years ago for 5 years and that could go towards the increase needed for the levy?

just a thought...

Heck you could have a combined levy, vote yes to repeal the city tax and give it to the school. I would vote for that in a New York second. Lets see if the city will step up to support the school.
Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  10:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I am glad you know the financial situation of the population of Monroe community. And truly are "educated" on the economic hardships, loss of jobs, medical expenses, gas prices to commute to work when you can find it, deaths and divorces that cause 2 income households to now be 1 income households. Full time jobs reduced to part time positions, etc.

I am excited to know only 10 - maybe 100 (doubtful) have experienced any of these things happening not just here - but across the country.

I think there is enough "ignorance" (as YOU put it) to go around for both sides. Do you think those spiteful (which I attribute to the 10 - 100 number count you provided) voters will have a change of heart because of the way you chose to present your position?

I think the majority of NO votes came from people who are tired of the way things have gone with the spending of the money. How did the 1 mil debt for the Admin building benefit the kids? I need to be educated on that. And the stadium expense the good ole boys invested foolishly in?

I think the NO voters want to see a full disclosure of expenses, cut admin and asst positions (why can't the coach be the AD? It is what Krause wanted and left over.) They want a breakdown of where the money will go and where we will be in 5 yrs (this debt will not be paid for in 5 yrs and you do not have to be a CPA to know that)

I think everyone should step back and cool off - come back with a handshake and try to move forward together. This hate spewing and shaming people shows a serious lack of respect or regard for the reasons the majority said NO.
JMO
quote:

You are quickly becoming a flat earther

I don't claim to know the financial condition of everybody in Monroe. I do know how much this levy costs compared to typical living expenses. As far as hardship, I have experienced it, so don't worry.

And where did I specify 10-100 in the country? I was talking about Monroe. This isn't exactly a slum town. There is no ghetto here.

I agree that some poor decisions were made in the past by the school board. Whether it was by intent, inexperience, or because they were supplied bad information, we may never know. Regardless, we must move on.

Have a nice day
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dang...and that stings too... a little... kinda

I knew right away you would auto assume that I meant the country when in fact I tried to use the hyphen to separate the 2.
I am sorry you felt the need to swipe at a fellow citizen who has expressed not a hard line NO after the results but a hand out to communicate and urge others to do the same...
for a resolution..

Your stance is JUST GIVE THEM THE MONEY! PERIOD!
I cannot do that and I am sorry you do not have the ability to see someone trying to reach out to discuss calmly, with out threats, disrespectful remarks and bully tactics.

It truly is a very sad day in this community and not just because of the NO votes. But because the true colors of our neighbors are glaringly clear...

quote:

I don't claim to know the financial condition of everybody in Monroe. I do know how much this levy costs compared to typical living expenses. As far as hardship, I have experienced it, so don't worry.

And where did I specify 10-100 in the country? I was talking about Monroe. This isn't exactly a slum town. There is no ghetto here.

I agree that some poor decisions were made in the past by the school board. Whether it was by intent, inexperience, or because they were supplied bad information, we may never know. Regardless, we must move on.

Have a nice day
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Dang...and that stings too... a little... kinda

I knew right away you would auto assume that I meant the country when in fact I tried to use the hyphen to separate the 2.
I am sorry you felt the need to swipe at a fellow citizen who has expressed not a hard line NO after the results but a hand out to communicate and urge others to do the same...
for a resolution..

I cannot do that and I am sorry you do not have the ability to see someone trying to reach out to discuss calmly, with out threats, disrespectful remarks and bully tactics.

It truly is a very sad day in this community and not just because of the NO votes. But because the true colors of our neighbors are glaringly clear...

quote:

Have a nice day

[/quote]

You need to look in the mirror as well. Your shouting and tone do not appear to be of one discussing calmly.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Black

USA
381 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:23:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Steve, your analogy states because we voted no - the value went down and now we have less taxes... so if we had voted yes - the prop values would have gone up and thus adding additional taxes on top of the levy...
That's not what I said. I said your values have ALREADY gone down, regardless of the levy. You are currently paying less in property taxes to the district.

quote:
I'm personally not completely averse to doing just that very thing in the future but we can not do that today. Until the economy (and the Ohio Statehouse)stops playing a giant game of Jenga with our budgets; there is no feasible way to make that happen without affecting core services.

I think once we stabilize the long term forecast that shows consistent minimum of $3.2M fund balance reserve in our General Fund for the out years; I would seriously like to look at doing just what you're suggesting.

BUT my original point still stands. You are paying less in taxes than you were before...and honestly; that's part of the problem.

Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

sigh,,, I was simply stating with emphasis your opinion...
really??

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]Dang...and that stings too... a little... kinda

for a resolution..

quote:

Have a nice day

You need to look in the mirror as well. Your shouting and tone do not appear to be of one discussing calmly.
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/08/2012 :  11:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

With all due respect Steve...
My property values are a direct result of the country's economy.
The value decreased because there is a lack of money able to be spent to fuel the economy at this time... That same lack of money that led to the decrease in my home value is the same reason a levy is not do able at this time. It is unfortunate but true - everywhere. Lots of things are suffering!

The school needs to come up with a way to explain and assure it will not occur again or this debate is not going anywhere. If that means people need to resign, so be it..take more pay cuts - fine, ask more involvement of the parents - ask. THAT is the issue at hand.

And I understand the city cannot do it today..You know me better than that. I was suggesting it as you proposed. A promise or commitment by the city to "help" during this very disturbing situation which will not see resolution in 5 yrs...

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Steve Black[/i]
[br]
quote:
That's not what I said. I said your values have ALREADY gone down, regardless of the levy. You are currently paying less in property taxes to the district.

quote:
I'm personally not completely averse to doing just that very thing in the future but we can not do that today. Until the economy (and the Ohio Statehouse)stops playing a giant game of Jenga with our budgets; there is no feasible way to make that happen without affecting core services.

I think once we stabilize the long term forecast that shows consistent minimum of $3.2M fund balance reserve in our General Fund for the out years; I would seriously like to look at doing just what you're suggesting.

BUT my original point still stands. You are paying less in taxes than you were before...and honestly; that's part of the problem.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24