Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Darrick Murphy
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  1:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The Monroe School Board lost my trust in 2006. It was at a meeting on May 3rd, 2006 that I attended and addressed the Board about inaccuracies in the Five Year forecast submitted to the State of Ohio in November of 2005. The Board approved the Five Year forecast in October of 2005, although salary costs for that FY was already over by more than $100K per month. Based on that, the district would have dried up reserves and had a deficit. At the time Ms. Moon (Treasurer at the time) tried to justify the numbers, but anyone with a calculator and basic math skills could see the truth. I also asked questions regarding the revenue from the stadium for which I could not get answers for.

My reason for addressing the Board was the fact that they were seeking to add a new levy to the August ballot. I felt that the Board could not ask the taxpayers for more money when they could not prove that they were providing the proper financial oversight for the district. The district lacked transparency and still does. My concerns fell on deaf ears for all members of the Board except Mike Irwin. Mike was not yet a member of the Board at the time of the approval of the Five Year forecast.

Anyone living in the area at the time will recall Mike asking questions for the Board offices and not supporting the vote to place a levy on the August 2006 ballot. Mike’s efforts to do the job he was elected to do, earned him ridicule for many in the community.

I continued to attend Board meetings and when on several occasion questioned a pathetic nature of the Board meeting minutes I was told that they were fine. When I asked for transparency I was told point blank by a Board member that I was just trying to cause trouble.

Yes, I could have run for School Board, but seeing what Mike when through when he refused to join the “Yes Men Club” I choose not to. I stopped going to School Board meetings, I figured if the Board wants to run the district without taxpayer input, they can run it without taxpayer money as well and I became a NO voter.

The sins of the past have come to haunt the district today. I still see Board members currently in place that were there in 2005 and 2006. Proper oversight was not paid to the Treasurer’s Office then and I have not seen where anyone really cares. I feel that the slogan “Stand Proud for Monroe” is an insult to taxpayers, just be honest and say, “We want your money, but not your input".

I know this post will receive ridicule, but I am tired reading of the scare tactics of a 33 mil levy coming. I say, “Let it come”, I will have my tax dollars in my pocket while I wait. I have accepted that nothing will change, but I will vote NO next month, and when it is on the levy again I will do the same. If the Board does not wish to change how they do things, why should I?

Link to Board Meeting Minutes May 3, 2006
http://www.monroelocalschools.com/pdf/board_minutes/Board_Meeting_5_3_06.pdf

sunflower23

USA
376 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  3:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Wow,you have been off the Voice for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Darrick,
I received the same treatment when I attended a Board meeting. Those meetings are OK if you agree - but if you disagree you get treated very rudely. My harassment continued into the parking lot by "pro" levy supporters.

Everyone says "take your issues to a Board meeting" but they really don't know what that means.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  7:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Funny also, we owe about $6million last I heard and the school want $12million some of that funny accounting going on. Looks like they want to piss away another $6million
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

1. Everything the Board was/is doing has been/being overseen/checked/reviewed by the State of OH. It can't get more transparent than that. Attend an FOC meeting and you can witness the new, experienced Treasurer Holly Cahall, CPA (and former State Auditor) as she gives her reports to the FOC. Please see the Treasurer Q&A at http://www.45050.com/faq.cfm to find out what new items are in place to ensure fiscal responsibility. The board has NO control right now. It is all up to the State. So well, there is that.

2. How is punishing the children of this town going to make anyone feel redeemed for what happened in the past by people who aren't even at the school anymore? The Chairperson, Roger Hardin, announced at Wednesday's FOC meeting that he will direct the FOC to move Monroe to a state minimum school if the levy fails. I cannot imagine anything more terrifying for parents in this town. In a global economy... I can tell you one thing... I will NOT send my kid to a State Minimum school district. Myself and so many moved to Monroe because of the schools. We will be gone even if we take a huge hit on our home!

3. Which leads me to my next point... Home values will fall like rain! We only need to take a lesson from Little Miami. It is a fact that home values fell $20K on average during their mess.

4. I am not thrilled about having to repay this loan. I'm not. No one I know is giddy about it. Trust me. But it is our collective loan as citizens of Monroe. The State will get their money back. This will not be excused no matter how many times the levy is voted down. It will not be excused if we are consolidated with another district either. Why not ensure that we pay the minimum amount to pay back the loan? Logical... yes?

These are scary things to face. But not scare tactics...truths... backed up by the State of Ohio! In fact, The FOC suggested the School post the millage projections on their website. They WOULD NOT do that if it were not fact.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  9:50:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by outdoormom[/i]
[br]The Chairperson, Roger Hardin, announced at Wednesday's FOC meeting that he will direct the FOC to move Monroe to a state minimum school if the levy fails.

Thats funny members of the school board told this forum many times we were already at state minimums, guess they lied. Vote NO
Go to Top of Page

StormKnight

26 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  10:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit StormKnight's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There are MANY State minimum standards. In many of them we are at State Minimums and in some we are not yet there.
Read for yourself here. Please become informed.

Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  10:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by StormKnight[/i]
[br]

There are MANY State minimum standards. In many of them we are at State Minimums and in some we are not yet there.
This link is a distraction for libtards

Well come back when you get there because many of us are at our maximum money hand out levels.
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  11:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We will be there if the levy fails... State mandated. Then the state will make MLS ask you for more this Spring.

Storm knight is right. Best to get informed about the CURRENT situation, not what a different board may or may not have said years ago.
Go to Top of Page

KME2012
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  11:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Darrick Murphy has the right to say what he chooses about this levy but the truth of the matter is, Monroe local schools are in trouble and the kids are the ones that are going to suffer. Ohio is already one of the worst states to live in because of unemployment and educational standards. Do you really want to live in a town where the children are not educated at a level that allows them to move on to top rated colleges? Personally my children have thrived in this school and they are in the honors classes but if this school drops to state minimum levels that wont mean a thing. What college will accept students from this school. Your attitude will lead to the dumbing down of our children. So I ask you this, if you don't agree with the situation and you don't want to run for a position that could allow you to help make changes. WHY are you still living here?
Go to Top of Page

StormKnight

26 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  11:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit StormKnight's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

LOL. Thanks for doing my work for me. That link is to a PDF that is from the Ohio Revised Code
You can read it and all the subsequent amendments here. Please be informed.

Go to Top of Page

Darrick Murphy
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/14/2012 :  11:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

First off, I included the link to the minutes of the Board meeting where I addressed the issue, which by the way is the CURRENT issue. Do you remember when things started? As for being a different board, two of the five member of that Board are still seated today.

So what is so bad about State Minimum standards? Teacher to student ration of 1:25, all of the standard course work seems to be present. You may loose an administrator or two. I am sure you would loose extracurricular activities, but there other activities in the area that students can be involved in.

Enough with the scare tactics, no one can guarantee that the Excellent rating will be lost of the levy fails or maintained if it passes? Are the teachers going to stop teaching? Is there a strike planned?

As for home values, not everyone buys a home in a neighborhood because of the schools. Some people are actively looking for lower taxes. The reality is that my home has already lost value because of the geniuses in the banking industry when they killed the economy. Higher taxes may actually cause the market value of my home to decrease.

Believe it or not I am an informed voter, that's how I noticed the problem in the five year forecast that I mentioned, because I was paying attention, while those elected to do so were not (or chose not to). And just because someone does not agree with you does not make them uninformed, it just makes you rude for making such statements.

Don't tell me that my NO vote will make the kids suffer, they will still be offered an education and if they have any sense they will study and make something out of themselves. However, your Yes vote will take money from my family and we will never see it again. That is a reality.
Go to Top of Page

Darrick Murphy
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  12:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by KME2012[/i]
[br]Darrick Murphy has the right to say what he chooses about this levy but the truth of the matter is, Monroe local schools are in trouble and the kids are the ones that are going to suffer. Ohio is already one of the worst states to live in because of unemployment and educational standards. Do you really want to live in a town where the children are not educated at a level that allows them to move on to top rated colleges? Personally my children have thrived in this school and they are in the honors classes but if this school drops to state minimum levels that wont mean a thing. What college will accept students from this school. Your attitude will lead to the dumbing down of our children. So I ask you this, if you don't agree with the situation and you don't want to run for a position that could allow you to help make changes. WHY are you still living here?

Wow, thanks for granting me my First Amendment right (I know this is a private board and it doesn't apply). I am amazed that you would imply that I have to be a Yes voter to live here. I didn't realize the only sheep were allowed to live in these parts.

As for students getting into college, there are many needs and academic based scholarships out there, and students from worse districts then this get into college. I am happy to hear that your children thrive, if they keep that ambition then I am sure they will do fine. The State minimums will not dumb down students, the OGTs already did that. When schools switched from phonics to site words students started dumbing down. You don't need a football team or a giant athletic complex to teach students to think, you just get rid of the memorization and regurgitation teaching practices that are so widely used to "Teach the Test".
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  04:34:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Darrick Murphy[/i]
[br]

Enough with the scare tactics, no one can guarantee that the Excellent rating will be lost of the levy fails or maintained if it passes?

As for home values, not everyone buys a home in a neighborhood because of the schools. Some people are actively looking for lower taxes. The reality is that my home has already lost value because of the geniuses in the banking industry when they killed the economy. Higher taxes may actually cause the market value of my home to decrease.

Scare tactics?

Darrick all you need to do is look at Little Miami to see what will happen here in Monroe. The writing is on the wall.

Oh that and one way or another you WILL pay off this debt. If a no vote this time around the amount will simply go up and be on the ballot until finally you come around and pass it.

That is the reality of being a Monroe tax payer in 2012. All the crying in the world won't change that for you.

So go ahead and vote no....but the state of Ohio is going to get it's blood from you Darrick and the rest of Monroe one way or another.

State minimums won't dumb down students yet Little Miami's rating and test scores fall like a stone. Hmmm. It's cool if you don't want to pay but don't just straight make things up; there are most definitely consequences to having a minimum funded school system. You can bury your head in the sand but it won't make it any less true.

You may not want to be told that your "NO" vote will make the kids suffer but that is exactly what you will be doing. The truth hurts sometimes.

I for one hope that the rest of Monroe places a higher value on Education than Mr. Derrack Murphy.

Go to Top of Page

Darrick Murphy
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  06:45:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There we go, the faces of anonymity are all showing up to throw stones.

I do value education, but I also value fiscal responsibility. Yes, the State will get its money within the next five years, I understand that, but Monroe Local Schools needs to try a new approach. How about all of the Yes voters pass the collection plate and leave the No voters out of it.

Do you think you can raise $12M that way? Or do you think if you chuck enough insults at someone of the Voice that you can persuade them to change their vote?

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  07:11:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm not trying to change your vote Darrick and at this point I'm certainly not anonymous.

Do you have kids in the school system Darrick?

I'm not trying to change your vote but when you stand on a soap box and say that those reporting the truths of the situation are fear mongering it makes one wonder what your personal motive is. Then again for anyone who can connect the reasonably obvious dots your motive isn't very hard to detect either.

you are free to vote however you choose but don't act like a state minimum education is a thing to be proud of. It's certainly NOT what the children of Monroe have recieved over the past few years.

You can watch Little Miami's ride down the toilet bowl for proof of where we are headed. We are next unless we do something and it's your solution to DO NOTHING.
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  07:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Wow, still upset about what happened to you in 2006.

If your stuck in the past how will you change the future.

Vote YES
Go to Top of Page

ellarbee1000

466 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]

I know this post will receive ridicule, but I am tired reading of the scare tactics of a 33 mil levy coming. I say, “Let it come”, I will have my tax dollars in my pocket while I wait. I have accepted that nothing will change, but I will vote NO next month, and when it is on the levy again I will do the same. If the Board does not wish to change how they do things, why should I?

"Let it come." ?????

I disagree with this the most....You're saying, I realize the state-mandated levy will stay on the ballot until it passes, while the millage and debt rise, but I'm voting no anyway.

Sounds like the rest of our country. Ignoring rising debt by stomping your feet and pretending it doesn't exist.
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There are people who will vote no no matter what facts and truths you set in front of them. Their anger is misdirected. We are all in the same boat here. We all have to pay back this debt like it or not. It will not be excused.

Also this is the most frightening fact for those who are upset about their taxes going up. If this levy keeps going down our consolidation with another district is still on the table. It was announced by Roger Hardin, FOC Chairperson that if Monroe merges back with Middletown, Monroe citizens would not only pay Middletown taxes, but will also be expected to hold and pay the debt left behind. I cannot think of a better reason to vote YES now so you can pay the least amount possible for the next 5 years! Middletown taxes + our own! Holy Schmoly!!!!

Again another NON-SCARE TACTIC... Truth from the State of OH!!
Go to Top of Page

ellarbee1000

466 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thankfully, there are a sea of people who strongly support this community and realize how critical a strong school district is...

Those yes voters understand that the economy stinks and the cost of everything is going up. Until the way schools are funded changes from the state level, levies are the reality. It's not just Monroe that needs a levy. MANY schools in the state of Ohio will be posting levies on the ballot within the next year.

In fact, if you've noticed, we are offering a high quality school district and a very low cost! That's called......a GOOD VALUE for the MONEY.

...this isn't a ploy from the school board to spend everyone's cash.

You make it sound like they are sitting in luxury digs, rubbing their hands together like Dr. Evil, laughing about all the tax dollars they will spend.
Go to Top of Page

drs_1827

USA
691 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  11:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Darrick,

If you are so informed, I am asking you to run for the board. Wouldn't it make most sense that you vote yes and then be apart of making the right changes? This is the part that I don't understand. I don't hear or see any action plans from you. I am reading that your action step is to make it better by voting NO and giving your best 'gap analysis' of what is wrong with little to no action or solution. If I am missing something please inform me. If you can help please step up.
Go to Top of Page

StormKnight

26 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  11:37:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit StormKnight's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Remember that the school board is no longer in charge of our finances. We now answer to the State of Ohio.
We have a new Treasurer, Superintendent, and the board members that some still think "are responsible" make up a voting minority of the Board.

In Monroe, our current tax rate is one of the lowest in Butler County. If the levy passes, we will still be one of the lowest rates in Butler County especially among Incorporated areas. Please click here to see the current tax rates from the Butler County Treasurer.

The State Minimum Standards are the minimums we have to offer. The State will be the ones deciding what cuts are to be made. The School Board no longer has a say in cuts. they can make recommendations, but the final verdict lies with the State. The following is a list of classes and programs, at the HIGH SCHOOL ONLY, that are above State Minimum Standard. This does not include things like busing, custodians, and extracurriculars. There may more, but I only have a few minutes to look at this right now.
(Minimums would require we offer 5 electives from the following list.)

Gifted Program
Personal Financial Manag.
2D Drawing
2D Painting
3D Sculpture
A Cappella Choir
Accounting
Algebra II Adv
American History Adv.
American History AP
Anatomy & Physiology
Art for the Yearbook
Biology Adv.
Child Development
College & Beyond
Computer Applications
Team & Lifetime Sports
Concert Band
Consumer Math
Drama I
Drama II
Engineering Technology
English II Adv
English III Honors
Environmental Science
Foundations
Geometry I Adv
German I
German II
German III
German IV
Government /Economics AP
Internet I
Intro to Business I
Management
Marching Band #
Mixed Choir
Music Appreciation
Personal Financial
Physics II AP
Portfolio Preparation
PreCalculus
PreCollege Math
Psychology
Show Choir
Show Choir
Show Choir
Spanish I
Spanish II
Spanish III
Spanish IV
Sports Literature
Team & Lifetime Sports #
Visual Art I
Weight Training Fitness #
World Studies Adv
World geography
Writing for Publication
Zoology

Now I realize this is not going to happen immediately, but any of these are possible cuts. We are no longer locally in control of our future.

*edited for formatting
Go to Top of Page

hmmm

132 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  2:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
I do value education, but I also value fiscal responsibility. Yes, the State will get its money within the next five years, I understand that, but Monroe Local Schools needs to try a new approach.

The fiscally responsible thing to do is to stop the debt from rising TODAY! Do not allow the debt to continue to climb. You will eventually have to pay. Pay some now or a LOT later.

I guarantee that if you get any board member in the State to speak to you about "trying a new approach" they would be all for it. You know that they can't. The State mandates how to run a school's finances, there is no creativity in this.

I think if you took the time to speak to the newer board members, you would come away with a different outlook. They do think much differently than many of the old guard.

Good to see you back on here - your objections were always well thought out.
Go to Top of Page

Active in Monroe

18 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  4:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

Link to Board Meeting Minutes May 3, 2006
http://www.monroelocalschools.com/pdf/board_minutes/Board_Meeting_5_3_06.pdf

I don't really understand your logic...or others who are voting no because of decisions made in the past. Did somebody screw up? Damn straight...but that doesn't change our situaiton. We are facing a monster debt and there is no bailout coming. Kicking this can down the road, because of how you were ignored and.or slighted only gaurantees one thing....that the can will be bigger the next time you go to kick it.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  6:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Active in Monroe[/i]
[br][quote]

I don't really understand your logic...or others who are voting no because of decisions made in the past. Did somebody screw up? Damn straight...but that doesn't change our situaiton. We are facing a monster debt and there is no bailout coming. Kicking this can down the road, because of how you were ignored and.or slighted only gaurantees one thing....that the can will be bigger the next time you go to kick it.

The amount we owe is less than half of what they want to steal. Change the levy to only pay back the loan and you will have more support. But the lies of the pro-levy committee are adding up. The fact is the school is trying to STEAL $6million plus all the while covering up that every few years they mishandle our money and then come and say dont look to the past just give us more so we dont have to change our ways.
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  7:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

lol!
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  7:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bobpreston[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Active in Monroe[/i]
[br][quote]

The amount we owe is less than half of what they want to steal. Change the levy to only pay back the loan and you will have more support. But the lies of the pro-levy committee are adding up. The fact is the school is trying to STEAL $6million plus all the while covering up that every few years they mishandle our money and then come and say dont look to the past just give us more so we dont have to change our ways.

are you even able to cast a vote in Monroe Bob?
Go to Top of Page

weare2oldtimers

28 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  7:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Just curious if Darrick even lives in Monroe? His profile says Middletown. Yes, several areas of Monroe have a Middletown mailing address. Just asking?
Go to Top of Page

StormKnight

26 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit StormKnight's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We have already borrowed around 2.2 million.

According to the new Treasurer:
• Without the levy, Monroe Local Schools will have to borrow from the State to sustain operations because our
revenue is 2 million less than expenses. Not just for this year, but through 2017.

So let us do the math. We owe 2.2 million and have a deficit of 2 million a year for 5 years.

2.2+2+2+2+2+2=12.2

The levy should generate 12.5

It is nearly impossible to make the math any simpler or you.

*edited for broken link
Go to Top of Page

StormKnight

26 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  8:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit StormKnight's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by weare2oldtimers[/i]
[br]Just curious if Darrick even lives in Monroe? His profile says Middletown. Yes, several areas of Monroe have a Middletown mailing address. Just asking?

Some on here are simply trolls from outside the district. But yes, some do live in Monroe.
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  8:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

"Just curious if Darrick even lives in Monroe? His profile says Middletown. Yes, several areas of Monroe have a Middletown mailing address. Just asking?"

I'll vouch for Derrick. Is that the best you can do - to ask if someone lives in Monroe? How about just sticking to the talking points. There's so many of those you can post for about a week......

By the way, do you live in Monroe? Just asking... :)

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

Active in Monroe

18 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  8:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bobpreston[/i]

StormKnight has laid out a pretty clear explanation of how they came up with the 12.5 million. Makes prefect sense to me. I don't like it....but it is what it is. Your suggestion of splitting up the bill into two chunks (or more) again will only cost more in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  8:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
[br]"Just curious if Darrick even lives in Monroe? His profile says Middletown. Yes, several areas of Monroe have a Middletown mailing address. Just asking?"

I'll vouch for Derrick. Is that the best you can do - to ask if someone lives in Monroe? How about just sticking to the talking points. There's so many of those you can post for about a week......

By the way, do you live in Monroe? Just asking... :)

I think it's relevant to ask anyone chiming in if they live in Monroe and pay taxes here. If they don't then quite frankly we don't need their opinion in our matters.

I think the better question is this; Is it the real Darrack Murphy posting here or is it someone using the name of someone who spoke out years ago to stir the pot here? I really wouldn't put anything by anyone.

Go to Top of Page

johnwells

262 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

StormKnight, how much in spending cuts have been made for this year?
Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  9:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by johnwells[/i]
[br]StormKnight, how much in spending cuts have been made for this year?

Not sure about the cuts, but there were about $50K in salary increases for this year.
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  9:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

SWC... site your sources please.
Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  9:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by outdoormom[/i]
[br]SWC... site your sources please.

Cite my sources?

http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/voice/topic.asp?topic_id=26901
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  9:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

I have no idea the answer to this but....

For this levy, does this question matter? For that matter, do miniscule spending cuts that have a extremely limited impact on the budget but an extremely large impact on the program that is being funded matter?

Look at it this way, we can't cut the school funding to a level where we could effectively maintain a functioning state allowed school district and pay back the state. It's not like Monroe is just floating in excess cash right now.

So we have two options:

1) Cut everything down to the bare and then pass a levy for less, making the community pay much less for the schools. The impact on academic quality will be uncertain though Little Miami's case and I would suspect many other cases around Ohio or the country will tend to lead towards pessimistic thoughts. The impact on both the community and the kids would be fairly substantial. Very few (if any) options for after school activities (which definitely keeps kids out of trouble), very few things to list on their college applications (as a former assistant director of admissions at Seton Hall, I think that matters) and very few ways for the community to come together and support "Monroe" as an entity.

or

2) Keep funding the school at the level we're doing now, which includes a fair number of extracurriculars and academic options, yet this will require a larger levy, meaning that the community will have to pay more. The economy isn't great right now and many people are still suffering set backs from the Great Recession. It's understandable people are hesitant about a tax increase. Also, the reason for this levy is to fix a mistake made by a previous treasurer, meaning that it was preventable. That's also understandable. However the community will benefit in the long term. I feel that many people are unaware of the economic impact a well educated populace can have on a community. By paying more now and supporting current local education levels, you're more likely to see a larger economic impact in the future, even if you can not see a direct connection or are unable to attribute it to supporting the schools.

There is also a pride factor. While I wouldn't call anyone who votes "No" as being anti-Monroe or not proud of the city, I also think that someone who is proud of Monroe wants Monroe to succeed in all facets, and that includes its future and its children. I want the next Einstein to come from Monroe, I want the next man or woman to walk on a planet to be from Monroe, I want the next superstar athlete to be from Monroe. I want Monroe to succeed and want to share in these successes. Yes preventable mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean we punish a generation. Punish those responsible, ensure that they don't happen again and think hard about your future vote choices and your community involvement.

So in the end, I'm not sure what measly spending cuts were made this year. I also don't think it matters in any way except to fit some false narrative about "everyone taking a cut". Because telling you if they cut as much as legally allowed still wouldn't change your vote. And that's fine, it won't win unanimously. I trust that what has been able to be cut, has been cut with the least possible impact on academic achievement.
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  9:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank you!, SWC, smarty pants! lol
Go to Top of Page

johnwells

262 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  9:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Matt, see CMsquare's reply one post above my question. Lol

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Matt_Steele[/i]
[br]
quote:

I have no idea the answer to this but....

For this levy, does this question matter? For that matter, do miniscule spending cuts that have a extremely limited impact on the budget but an extremely large impact on the program that is being funded matter?

Look at it this way, we can't cut the school funding to a level where we could effectively maintain a functioning state allowed school district and pay back the state. It's not like Monroe is just floating in excess cash right now.

So we have two options:

1) Cut everything down to the bare and then pass a levy for less, making the community pay much less for the schools. The impact on academic quality will be uncertain though Little Miami's case and I would suspect many other cases around Ohio or the country will tend to lead towards pessimistic thoughts. The impact on both the community and the kids would be fairly substantial. Very few (if any) options for after school activities (which definitely keeps kids out of trouble), very few things to list on their college applications (as a former assistant director of admissions at Seton Hall, I think that matters) and very few ways for the community to come together and support "Monroe" as an entity.

or

2) Keep funding the school at the level we're doing now, which includes a fair number of extracurriculars and academic options, yet this will require a larger levy, meaning that the community will have to pay more. The economy isn't great right now and many people are still suffering set backs from the Great Recession. It's understandable people are hesitant about a tax increase. Also, the reason for this levy is to fix a mistake made by a previous treasurer, meaning that it was preventable. That's also understandable. However the community will benefit in the long term. I feel that many people are unaware of the economic impact a well educated populace can have on a community. By paying more now and supporting current local education levels, you're more likely to see a larger economic impact in the future, even if you can not see a direct connection or are unable to attribute it to supporting the schools.

There is also a pride factor. While I wouldn't call anyone who votes "No" as being anti-Monroe or not proud of the city, I also think that someone who is proud of Monroe wants Monroe to succeed in all facets, and that includes its future and its children. I want the next Einstein to come from Monroe, I want the next man or woman to walk on a planet to be from Monroe, I want the next superstar athlete to be from Monroe. I want Monroe to succeed and want to share in these successes. Yes preventable mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean we punish a generation. Punish those responsible, ensure that they don't happen again and think hard about your future vote choices and your community involvement.

So in the end, I'm not sure what measly spending cuts were made this year. I also don't think it matters in any way except to fit some false narrative about "everyone taking a cut". Because telling you if they cut as much as legally allowed still wouldn't change your vote. And that's fine, it won't win unanimously. I trust that what has been able to be cut, has been cut with the least possible impact on academic achievement.

Go to Top of Page

Darrick Murphy
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:16:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

To answer a few questions, yes this is the real Darrick Murphy and I do live in the city of Monroe and the former Lemon Twsp (I get to pay taxes to both entities, yeah me). I am not anti-tax, school, city or otherwise, in fact I canvased my community several years ago to help pass the income tax increase for our City. I had voted NO for it for a while as well until I felt sufficient cuts had been made and fiscal responsibility had been achieved. The City had to learn to live on a budget and so should this school district. If not now, then when? Don't tell me it will get better, show me better (fiscal oversight and a balanced budget).

Yes, the State has a review committee in place, great, they have met a few times and hopefully our current Board members will learn how to balance a budget. So here is my proposal, vote NO on the 7 mil levy, run one in February for 1.5 to 2 mils (whatever you need to payback the state only). Cut $2M from the budget, you can start with extracurricular activities. Those who want them can find ways to make them self sufficient. Prove that you can operate on a budget and then ask the taxpayers for more money to restore services. I could support that.

I know that the above will never happen because it takes leverage away from the district. It is one thing to threaten cuts, it is another to make them and learn to live with them.

I am proud of Monroe, but I expect our elected officials and publicly supported entities to be accountable. Don't you?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24