Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The FOC found in the September meeting that remaining items on the table to cut wouldn't even put a dent in the debt. You all really need to go to the FOC meetings to catch up. I strongly encourage you to do this so you can witness first hand. You will see the FOC's reaction to the situation. The FOC minutes have not been updated on the school website for several months because the person who was responsible for getting them to RCH was cut. This was brought up at last week's meeting. They are working on getting that corrected.

And our public officials ARE being held accountable... so much so that they are not making any of the decisions now. The State of Ohio is in control. Who are you fighting against here? Vote YES and pay back the debt at the least amount possible and give our kids a fighting chance to get a decent education.
Go to Top of Page

Darrick Murphy
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Really, in an Excellent rated district they couldn't find a teenager that could post a few PDFs to the website? Is that why there is no Five Year Forecast as well? And removing power from the Board is not the same thing as holding them accountable, it's just the State's way of saying we don't trust you with more then $5000.
Go to Top of Page

johnwells

262 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Does anyone have an electronic copy of the five year forecast? All the info from the treasurer's page has been removed and says it is being revamped.
Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/15/2012 :  10:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by johnwells[/i]
[br]Does anyone have an electronic copy of the five year forecast? All the info from the treasurer's page has been removed and says it is being revamped.

Go to the Ohio Department of Education website and select Finance. Then go to School District Financial Status and choose the Five Year Forecast option.

If the link copies correctly, here is Monroe's Five Year Forecast:

http://fyf.oecn.k12.oh.us/genForecast.asp?IRN=139303&Format=HTML

Go to Top of Page

weare2oldtimers

28 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  05:14:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

more than 40 years!!! Lemon Township before that. And yes, I do support the levy. There is too much to lose without it. There have been many cuts and reorganizations in the schools here. Education is the future of not only the students but to Monroe as a whole. We have supported the schools by working with individual teachers in the classrooms as well as in the pocketbook. I don't like paying additional taxes either, but it is time to correct the actions of both the board and the administrations going back to Arnold Elam. The last administration pushed the envelope bringing in her cronies adding to the budget woes.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
[br]"Just curious if Darrick even lives in Monroe? His profile says Middletown. Yes, several areas of Monroe have a Middletown mailing address. Just asking?"

I'll vouch for Derrick. Is that the best you can do - to ask if someone lives in Monroe? How about just sticking to the talking points. There's so many of those you can post for about a week......

By the way, do you live in Monroe? Just asking... :)

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  05:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by StormKnight[/i]
[br]

We have already borrowed around 2.2 million.

According to the new Treasurer:
• Without the levy, Monroe Local Schools will have to borrow from the State to sustain operations because our
revenue is 2 million less than expenses. Not just for this year, but through 2017.

So let us do the math. We owe 2.2 million and have a deficit of 2 million a year for 5 years.

2.2+2+2+2+2+2=12.2

The levy should generate 12.5

It is nearly impossible to make the math any simpler or you.

*edited for broken link

What about the 3.2 million (Exact number not sure of) that was misspent? When do we pay that back?

So the 7.05 mil levy is only to repay already spent money?

If so then how is the school going to operate?

And if the deficit is 2 mil a year what does it cost to operate the school district per year?
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  07:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

all of that information is in the thread if you take the time to read it and the links provided and do a little deduction.

It is kind of like a word problem though; you have to be able to piece it together and work it out. Here comes that education thing again watch out.

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:23:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]all of that information is in the thread if you take the time to read it and the links provided and do a little deduction.

It is kind of like a word problem though; you have to be able to piece it together and work it out. Here comes that education thing again watch out.

And you said you weren't going to respond to me anymore so piss off.

If they want people to be informed then they can answer the questions. Then again they have a hard time doing that too.
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Have you asked the board ?
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by retiredmilitary[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]all of that information is in the thread if you take the time to read it and the links provided and do a little deduction.

And you said you weren't going to resond to me anymore so piss off.

If they want people to be infomred then they can answer the questions. Then again they have a hard time doing that too.

Wow

someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

so angry you forgot to pay attention to all those red squiggly lines.

So sorry if the truth hurts, but you shouldn't kill the messenger.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

USA
432 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I encourage the NO voters to keep posting because I truly believe their reasons for not supporting the levy are going to sway the unsure to voting FOR the levies. Posters like Derrick are helping support this levy! Thanks Derrick!

Thanks
Paul
Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

If they want people to be infomred then they can answer the questions. Then again they have a hard time doing that too.

Wow

The only thruth to this is the two squiggly lines (I fixed).

Refuse to ask the board,remember they aren't running anything!
Besides appearantly they have told people I distort information.
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  08:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How can you get upset if you have not asked any questions ?

And second hand information is always accurate.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Matt, see CMsquare's reply one post above my question. Lol

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Matt_Steele[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]StormKnight, how much in spending cuts have been made for this year?

I have no idea the answer to this but....

For this levy, does this question matter? For that matter, do miniscule spending cuts that have a extremely limited impact on the budget but an extremely large impact on the program that is being funded matter?

Look at it this way, we can't cut the school funding to a level where we could effectively maintain a functioning state allowed school district and pay back the state. It's not like Monroe is just floating in excess cash right now.

So we have two options:

1) Cut everything down to the bare and then pass a levy for less, making the community pay much less for the schools. The impact on academic quality will be uncertain though Little Miami's case and I would suspect many other cases around Ohio or the country will tend to lead towards pessimistic thoughts. The impact on both the community and the kids would be fairly substantial. Very few (if any) options for after school activities (which definitely keeps kids out of trouble), very few things to list on their college applications (as a former assistant director of admissions at Seton Hall, I think that matters) and very few ways for the community to come together and support "Monroe" as an entity.

or

2) Keep funding the school at the level we're doing now, which includes a fair number of extracurriculars and academic options, yet this will require a larger levy, meaning that the community will have to pay more. The economy isn't great right now and many people are still suffering set backs from the Great Recession. It's understandable people are hesitant about a tax increase. Also, the reason for this levy is to fix a mistake made by a previous treasurer, meaning that it was preventable. That's also understandable. However the community will benefit in the long term. I feel that many people are unaware of the economic impact a well educated populace can have on a community. By paying more now and supporting current local education levels, you're more likely to see a larger economic impact in the future, even if you can not see a direct connection or are unable to attribute it to supporting the schools.

There is also a pride factor. While I wouldn't call anyone who votes "No" as being anti-Monroe or not proud of the city, I also think that someone who is proud of Monroe wants Monroe to succeed in all facets, and that includes its future and its children. I want the next Einstein to come from Monroe, I want the next man or woman to walk on a planet to be from Monroe, I want the next superstar athlete to be from Monroe. I want Monroe to succeed and want to share in these successes. Yes preventable mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean we punish a generation. Punish those responsible, ensure that they don't happen again and think hard about your future vote choices and your community involvement.

So in the end, I'm not sure what measly spending cuts were made this year. I also don't think it matters in any way except to fit some false narrative about "everyone taking a cut". Because telling you if they cut as much as legally allowed still wouldn't change your vote. And that's fine, it won't win unanimously. I trust that what has been able to be cut, has been cut with the least possible impact on academic achievement.

When did you start listening to CM!?!?!? lol

Honestly though, I couldn't care less about whether or not people of Monroe care about my opinion. I care about Monroe so I'm going to give my opinion.

Besides, home is where the heart is right? Plus, I'm not that confident that many people on this board have any idea about my residence and where I pay taxes. My job currently has me around DC, true but there are some complexities.

Anyway, if you don't want see this as my voice, consider it my family's voice. I think I can vouch for my family's view on here.
Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Zap you are correct second hand information is not the best, but then again isn't that what stormknight is putting out?

Not upset just asked the question since the ones with all the info are posting here and in another thread.

Was upset with one individual who said they would not respond to me but again lied about that.

Just trying to get answers is all.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:17:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Darrick Murphy[/i]
[br]

I am proud of Monroe, but I expect our elected officials and publicly supported entities to be accountable. Don't you?

Are they not accountable to the voters every few years? Haven't we had multiple elections to vote them out if we wanted?

What accountability do you want them to have?
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

^ That would require people to get out and vote.

Easier to complain after the fact.
Go to Top of Page

StormKnight

26 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  10:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit StormKnight's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

OMG. Really? The cuts that have been made in the past year are on the FRONT PAGE of the Monroe Local Schools website. Please do not claim to be informed when information is so readily available.

For those who are curious, the District has cut $349,590 this year. For those not involved with the school, this includes vital things like paper, which I am helping to supply for my children's teachers.

Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  10:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yawn.... Is this thing over yet?
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  11:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Wow

The only thruth to this is the two squiggly lines (I fixed).

Refuse to ask the board,remember they aren't running anything!
Besides appearantly they have told people I distort information.

There is a whole lot more truth there than just two squiggly lines.

Those lines are like gremlins by the way and you typing is the water.

You don't distort information as much as you have demonstrated that you lack the ability to understand it when presented.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  11:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]Matt, see CMsquare's reply one post above my question. Lol

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]StormKnight, how much in spending cuts have been made for this year?

I have no idea the answer to this but....

For this levy, does this question matter? For that matter, do miniscule spending cuts that have a extremely limited impact on the budget but an extremely large impact on the program that is being funded matter?

Look at it this way, we can't cut the school funding to a level where we could effectively maintain a functioning state allowed school district and pay back the state. It's not like Monroe is just floating in excess cash right now.

So we have two options:

1) Cut everything down to the bare and then pass a levy for less, making the community pay much less for the schools. The impact on academic quality will be uncertain though Little Miami's case and I would suspect many other cases around Ohio or the country will tend to lead towards pessimistic thoughts. The impact on both the community and the kids would be fairly substantial. Very few (if any) options for after school activities (which definitely keeps kids out of trouble), very few things to list on their college applications (as a former assistant director of admissions at Seton Hall, I think that matters) and very few ways for the community to come together and support "Monroe" as an entity.

or

2) Keep funding the school at the level we're doing now, which includes a fair number of extracurriculars and academic options, yet this will require a larger levy, meaning that the community will have to pay more. The economy isn't great right now and many people are still suffering set backs from the Great Recession. It's understandable people are hesitant about a tax increase. Also, the reason for this levy is to fix a mistake made by a previous treasurer, meaning that it was preventable. That's also understandable. However the community will benefit in the long term. I feel that many people are unaware of the economic impact a well educated populace can have on a community. By paying more now and supporting current local education levels, you're more likely to see a larger economic impact in the future, even if you can not see a direct connection or are unable to attribute it to supporting the schools.

There is also a pride factor. While I wouldn't call anyone who votes "No" as being anti-Monroe or not proud of the city, I also think that someone who is proud of Monroe wants Monroe to succeed in all facets, and that includes its future and its children. I want the next Einstein to come from Monroe, I want the next man or woman to walk on a planet to be from Monroe, I want the next superstar athlete to be from Monroe. I want Monroe to succeed and want to share in these successes. Yes preventable mistakes were made, but that doesn't mean we punish a generation. Punish those responsible, ensure that they don't happen again and think hard about your future vote choices and your community involvement.

So in the end, I'm not sure what measly spending cuts were made this year. I also don't think it matters in any way except to fit some false narrative about "everyone taking a cut". Because telling you if they cut as much as legally allowed still wouldn't change your vote. And that's fine, it won't win unanimously. I trust that what has been able to be cut, has been cut with the least possible impact on academic achievement.

When did you start listening to CM!?!?!? lol

Honestly though, I couldn't care less about whether or not people of Monroe care about my opinion. I care about Monroe so I'm going to give my opinion.

Besides, home is where the heart is right? Plus, I'm not that confident that many people on this board have any idea about my residence and where I pay taxes. My job currently has me around DC, true but there are some complexities.

Anyway, if you don't want see this as my voice, consider it my family's voice. I think I can vouch for my family's view on here.

Let me be clear.

Someone like Matt who is from Monroe, attended the school system and has moved onto different places/things is not who I was talking about.

If anything someone like Matt Steele is a shining example of why we should continue to fund the district in my opinion and I am sure he is just one of many.

I see little value in allowing members with no affiliation to the town or the district rally against the levy for the general idea of lower taxes.

If anything now is the time for people like Matt Steel to speak out about how the school system has benefited them or perhaps how it has not. Either way Matt has a very relevant opinion here.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  11:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Happy HarperValley Rez[/i]
[br]Yawn.... Is this thing over yet?

well that depends....how are you voting?

If you vote yes then it will be over.

If you vote no then we will get to do it again and again until you vote yes.

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  11:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]"Just curious if Darrick even lives in Monroe? His profile says Middletown. Yes, several areas of Monroe have a Middletown mailing address. Just asking?"

I'll vouch for Derrick. Is that the best you can do - to ask if someone lives in Monroe? How about just sticking to the talking points. There's so many of those you can post for about a week......

I think it's relevant to ask anyone chiming in if they live in Monroe and pay taxes here. If they don't then quite frankly we don't need their opinion in our matters.

I think the better question is this; Is it the real Darrack Murphy posting here or is it someone using the name of someone who spoke out years ago to stir the pot here? I really wouldn't put anything by anyone.

These are your words so now you want double standards???

If Matt (and sorry Matt just resounding his words I respect your opinion) doesn't live here then he should stay out of our business.

Your words!!
Go to Top of Page

ohiostorm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  11:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am a middletown resident that has a child in open enrollment in Monroe. It has been said that I my opinion doesnt matter because I do not live in Monroe and cannot vote. However I will give my opinion anyway. We chose Monroe for open enrollment because of the tightness of and small town feel and commitment of the community to the schools. If we could get out from under water on our house in Middletown we would have moved to Monroe. Now I see that many of you are choosing to be in the same sinking ship as Middletown. If you vote no your house value will begin to fall even more than it already has. The sense of community that holds you together will be lost.
You want accountability? The former treasurer is gone and being reviewed and will hopefully have her license revoked. The superintendent is gone. Many of the board members are gone. How much damage must be done to the children and the community before you are satisfied? Please reconsider and vote yes. If you are still mad at the remaining board members then campaign against them in their next election. If not then you will only degrade your community further and make your own residents seek out other districts to open enroll their children somewhere else and have the schools lose even more money. You can join me, living in a failing community with poor schools trapped in a house that you cannot get rid of paying too much in taxes with no performance to match your investment. Please vote yes!!
Go to Top of Page

Stewie
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  11:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

On 10/6, I was at the new Frisch's on Yankee Road. Imagine my surprise when some friends dropped by to tell us they had just come from their grandson's sixth grade football game, played "under the lights" at Monroe.

I don't know if this was at the new stadium or at the old stadium, but either way, how can the school justify spending money to operate lights for a 6th grade football game when we are under fiscal emergency?

It's decisions like these that justify a NO vote from me.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

I think it's relevant to ask anyone chiming in if they live in Monroe and pay taxes here. If they don't then quite frankly we don't need their opinion in our matters.

I think the better question is this; Is it the real Darrack Murphy posting here or is it someone using the name of someone who spoke out years ago to stir the pot here? I really wouldn't put anything by anyone.

If Matt (and sorry Matt just resounding his words I respect your opinion) doesn't live here then he should stay out of our business.

Your words!!

LOL

Go pick another straw man to tear down.

Besides Matt has family that pays taxes and vote here and you have little clue where he pays the taxes on his income quite frankly.

Also sorry to inform you but my words don't mean much here. I can't stop Matt from posting here. You are severely confused.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by ohiostorm[/i]
[br]I am a middletown resident that has a child in open enrollment in Monroe. It has been said that I my opinion doesnt matter because I do not live in Monroe and cannot vote. However I will give my opinion anyway. We chose Monroe for open enrollment because of the tightness of and small town feel and commitment of the community to the schools. If we could get out from under water on our house in Middletown we would have moved to Monroe. Now I see that many of you are choosing to be in the same sinking ship as Middletown. If you vote no your house value will begin to fall even more than it already has. The sense of community that holds you together will be lost.
You want accountability? The former treasurer is gone and being reviewed and will hopefully have her license revoked. The superintendent is gone. Many of the board members are gone. How much damage must be done to the children and the community before you are satisfied? Please reconsider and vote yes. If you are still mad at the remaining board members then campaign against them in their next election. If not then you will only degrade your community further and make your own residents seek out other districts to open enroll their children somewhere else and have the schools lose even more money. You can join me, living in a failing community with poor schools trapped in a house that you cannot get rid of paying too much in taxes with no performance to match your investment. Please vote yes!!

You have a child in the school system. Clearly your opinion is relevant even though you don't live in Monroe.

I shouldn't have spoken in such black and white terms on a clearly many shades of grey issue.
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Stewie[/i]
[br]On 10/6, I was at the new Frisch's on Yankee Road. Imagine my surprise when some friends dropped by to tell us they had just come from their grandson's sixth grade football game, played "under the lights" at Monroe.

I don't know if this was at the new stadium or at the old stadium, but either way, how can the school justify spending money to operate lights for a 6th grade football game when we are under fiscal emergency?

Just because you never got to play under the lights, don't hate those that got to.

Don't they have pay to play ?
Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Your words!!

LOL

Besides Matt has family that pays taxes and vote here and you have little clue where he pays the taxes on his income quite frankly.

Also sorry to inform you but my words don't mean much here. I can't stop Matt from posting here. You are severely confused.

Nor can you stop anybody else for that matter!!
Go to Top of Page

Itsforthekids

78 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If she cares for her child's education like I do for my kids she will vote yes

quote:
[br]
quote:

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  12:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

Your words!!

LOL

Nor can you stop anybody else for that matter!!

You Sir win the award for stating the obvious.
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Care enough to get them the VERY best....Private School...
just sayin

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Itsforthekids[/i]
[br]

quote:
[br]
quote:

Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The lack of support for the school, ^ that will be an option.
Go to Top of Page

outdoormom

USA
64 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Stewie[/i]
[br]On 10/6, I was at the new Frisch's on Yankee Road. Imagine my surprise when some friends dropped by to tell us they had just come from their grandson's sixth grade football game, played "under the lights" at Monroe.

AGAIN. ALL DECISIONS ARE MADE BY THE STATE (FOC). SO BLAME THE STATE. DON'T PUNISH THE KIDS.

Now, if the levy fails, I'm sure NOTHING will happen under the lights for years... unless it is a financially self-sustained activity. Under State Minimum Standards ZERO tax dollars will be used for extracurriculars!!!!

Heaven forbid these 6th graders get to enjoy their ONE game under the lights, which is a tradition before they move onto Junior High football. Well, these kids won't get a Junior High football experience.

By the way... the Pee Wee football program brings in income and WE PAY for the boys to play!
Vote YES on Issue 16!
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If you really care about your kids...stop spending money on the ads, the signs, etc and get the paperwork started for a Private education.
More individual attention for the child, better resources, more structure, advanced classes and all while giving them a proper social setting to get acclimated with others... seems like a very attractive option!
And you do not need to count on other people's tax dollars to fund the type of education you want for your child!
WIN WIN!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by zapp2525[/i]
[br]The lack of support for the school, ^ that will be an option.

Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Or at some point you have pride in where you live and show that by supporting the local district.

So you want to pay more in taxes and have Monroe close down or better yet just offer the basic bottom of the barrel education.

That makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

ohiostorm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  1:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So you are saying put your child in private school and ignore the current community wide issue that is the school system? Let see how that will turn out......Eventually your school system is obsorbed into a neighboring district like Middletown. Your taxes go up because the neighboring districts are already taxed at a higher rate, and you join with a failing district instead of what you have currently had. I guess all that matters is your family is better off even though the community falls apart around you.
Go to Top of Page

Itsforthekids

78 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  2:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

She will be all PRIDE Friday night at her 30th year reunion at the game against north ridge. Just think about all the taxpayers that supported Monroe schools for her to get her diploma yet now she refuses to do the same.

quote:
[br]Or at some point you have pride in where you live and show that by supporting the local district.

So you want to pay more in taxes and have Monroe close down or better yet just offer the basic bottom of the barrel education.

That makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  2:30:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Care enough to get them the VERY best....Private School...
just sayin

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Itsforthekids[/i]
[br]

quote:
[br]
quote:

Unless the private school is Jesuit or some type of Catholic school, the evidence doesn't really indicate that private schools are any better than public schools at educating kids. However, the perception exists because a lot of private school students do very well. Typically though, private schools have students who would do well in any setting, leading to that result.

(Meaning: If you took a look at variables of a student such as demographics, socio-economic status, parent's involvement, parent's education etc, the students at the high end all perform around the same, regardless of public vs private. It just so happens that since many of them come from wealthier families, they end up in private school. Private school is more correlated with high achievement but that doesn't mean that putting in any type of student will boost their achievement levels)

So while private school can be a good option, I wouldn't call it the best lol. Besides, parent's typically have much less control over the education of their children in private school since there is no publicly elected school board etc.

Though maybe it's worth it to get away from the tyrants on our school board!

(just kidding about the tyrants!)
Go to Top of Page

Active in Monroe

18 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2012 :  2:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]If you really care about your kids...stop taking spending money on the ads, the signs, etc and get the paperwork started for a Private education.
More individual attention for the child, better resources, more structure, advanced classes and all while giving them a proper social setting to get acclimated with others... seems like a very attractive option!
And you do not need to count on other people's tax dollars to fund the type of education you want for your child!
WIN WIN!

quote:
[br]The lack of support for the school, ^ that will be an option.

It is a definate shame that the supporters for the public education of our children have to do an all out media blitz just to convince the members of our own community to support their own school district. I agree the money would be better spent on other resources
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24