New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic   

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/11/2007 :  12:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe will honor the city's veterans with a memorial park and monument located on the southeast corner of the intersection of RT 63 and Main Street, Monroe. You can help by purchasing an engraved paver to honor a veteran or all the veterans.

Engrave with veterans name, a family member, a business or an organization.

Three Lines of Text with 15 Characters.

4" x 8" Paver

Call Ed MacDonald at 539-8826 for more information.

Or complete the PDF below:
Support the Monroe Memorial Park and Moment, Buy an Engraved Paver

Order Form for Vet Memorial Paver

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/11/2007 :  8:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Should be limited to veteran's only. I don't want Grandpa next to Widget Inc.
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/11/2007 :  8:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Hmmm - that really isn't very clear ...

Can you purchase 'on behalf of' or 'in memory of' rather than as buckeyenut suggests laying a paver for Grandpa next to 'widgets' or Rings and Wings ......

I agree with the concern - maybe Mr. McDonald can clarify - it seams that if this is a memorial to Veterans, it should be limited to just that .... thoughts ?

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think it is quite clear that you can put what you like on the paver. Be it a war hero, or a person, place or thing who wants to honor our soldiers.

Geez

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  06:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Geez Wasn't clear to me otherwise I wouldn't have asked..... Geez again

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]I think it is quite clear that you can put what you like on the paver. Be it a war hero, or a person, place or thing who wants to honor our soldiers.

Geez

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  09:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If I have read the original post correctly, I believe the purpose of the paver is to "honor" the veteran. It doesn't have to be the family or friend of a veteran. If businesses or organizations would like to support or honor their veterans, why is this such an issue?

C'mon people, its an act of generosity! Some people are just good hearted and do not always have a hidden agenda
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  12:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm going to buy one, just like I did for the historical society.

About the historical society, has anyone seen my paver? Main Street Monroe? I can't seem to find it anymore. I looked the other day, but could not find it.

If you find it, please help me locate, for a free adult beverage at my favorite restaurant, the Red Onion.

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  2:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

SportsMom, I am not concerned of who purchases bricks. My concern is who is being honored. Taking the form's language at face value...

"You can help by purchasing an engraved paver to honor a veteran, a family member, a business organization."

Why we would want to honor a business organization right in the middle of monument honoring veterans? Veterans shed blood and died for their nation. I just don't like cheap commercialization of a veterans monument.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  2:08:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Maybe they mean a business can buy one to Honor a Vet.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  2:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom, I understand your concern...

Maybe they could separate the pavers? A designated place just for veterans names, a place for families or friends of veterans and another place for businesses or organizations that would like to honor any and all veterans?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
[br]Sports Mom, it is not who is buying them that concerns me, but instead who is being honored when we have bricks named for companies next to bricks named in honor of veterans.

Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  3:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom, chill out... I don't remember you always being so negative? Take it for what its worth and MoveOn.org (whatever the hell that is).

quote:
[br]This gets complicated. I have read of school districts having all kinds of problems with such pavers. Once you move past putting people's names on them, you open up a can of worms. If you put one company name, you have to accept any company name. I can just see New York New York, and Hustler Hollywood. Not to mention MoveOn.Org. It can turn into a mess.

Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  3:41:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]What's wrong with Hustler Hollywood honoring our vets? Just because you and I don't approve of what they do, doesn't make them any less patrotic. I'll even bet that several employees of the Flint organization, fought in current and past conflicts and wars.

Now thats funny stuff right there.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  6:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Didnt veterans fight to protect every one's rights?
quote:
[br]John, I have no problem with companies honoring our vets. It is their getting cheap and permanent advertisement on a veteran's memorial that I have problems with.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

linette

593 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  7:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thought that I read this but had to figure out where.

"You may purchase a brick for inclusion in the Memorial with the name of a veteran and the branch of service imprinted on it. You may also purchase a brick with your message imprinted on it that will be placed outside the Memorial."
http://www.monroeohio.org/pdf/MayJune2007.pdf
The order form that John has on this thread has a checkbox for Veteran or Non-Veteran
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  8:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks Linette.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  9:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I gotta agree with Tom. It's simply not proper to have a veteran's memorial with Red Onion or Widgets or whomever next to a soldier. It may be in honor of a vet, but it also looks like advertising. I'm sure no one would want to see a Catnip & Carrots brick even though it would be in honor of my Grandpa who fought the Battle of Bulge or my dad who was a Marine or myself who served in the Army or a 36 yr old friend we buried just last week who was a Gulf War vet & a proud Marine.

I didn't see the info linette posted on the brochure. I'd be surprised if this wasn't opened up to everyone in hopes of higher sales due us being a small town and needing the funds.

My thoughts aren't meant to upset anyone or cause controversy. I just feel those who served our country deserve the best we can offer and our utmost respect.
Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:15:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

can we PLEASE do a spell check on the title... "VETRANS"

This is not very honorable....
Go to Top of Page

SoloTSi97

USA
241 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit SoloTSi97's Homepage  Send SoloTSi97 an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but does a veteran need to be (or have been) a resident of Monroe in order to have their name put on a brick? Both of my late Grandfathers served in WWII and both of my brothers-in-law have spent tours in Iraq (one of them is still over there).

I'd be interested in buying a brick for each, if it fits with the intent of the memorial.

Thanks,
-Bob

Cub Scout Pack 54
Boy Scout Troop 54
Monroe Church of the Nazarene
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:31:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Golly I would think a memorial of a Veteran is just that - regardless of where you live / lived.

SoloTSi97 - you are a resident of Monroe - your paver/s will represent you and your Family, loved and lost inclusive - JMHO

Go to Top of Page

SoloTSi97

USA
241 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:38:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SoloTSi97's Homepage  Send SoloTSi97 an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The reason I asked is based on a memorial that is being constructed in Delhi in western Cincinnati. That memorial specifically honors veterans who live/lived in Delhi. One of my Grandfathers will be honored there, but the other did not live in Delhi and as such as not eligible. So, I figured I'd ask since the article mentions:

"Monroe will honor the city's veterans with a memorial park ..."

Either way, any veterans memorial is a great thing IMHO.

Cub Scout Pack 54
Boy Scout Troop 54
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  12:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Hold on folks!!!!!!

I'm on the committee and there have been no plans to honor businesses within this memorial - ONLY VETERANS.

We have a meeting this Thursday evening at 7PM in the James Monroe room of the City Building. I will take your concerns and have them addressed by the full committee. Trust me - Bob Hale will not allow a commercialization of the memorial that would dishonor or take away from the veterans!!!

We do have a number of businesses donating money and materials toward the construction of the memorial. And we will be recognizing them through publicity and possibly benches located around the memorial.

We sure don't need any negative press started by a runaway thread. Please take a moment to catch your breath and let me get this information to the committee.

Thanks,

Bob Bretland

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  04:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank Bob. I probably over reacted to this one, but it is a very strong and emotional issue for me. Perhaps the language on the form, "You can help by purchasing an engraved paver to honor a veteran, a family member, a business organization." could be made more clear. In view of your promise and concern, I will delete most of my comments in this thread. John, it might help if you do the same.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

SoloTSi97

USA
241 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  08:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit SoloTSi97's Homepage  Send SoloTSi97 an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
Originally posted by Bretland

Hold on folks!!!!!!

I'm on the committee

Do you then know the answer to my question (copied below from my earlier post)?
quote:
Originally posted by SoloTSi97

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but does a veteran need to be (or have been) a resident of Monroe in order to have their name put on a brick? Both of my late Grandfathers served in WWII and both of my brothers-in-law have spent tours in Iraq (one of them is still over there).

I'd be interested in buying a brick for each, if it fits with the intent of the memorial.

Thanks!

Cub Scout Pack 54
Boy Scout Troop 54
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  08:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Solo,

This is a memorial for all veterans. Being a Monroe resident is not a requirement.

Bob B

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  08:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom B,

I don't think you over reacted at all. It is a personal issue for you and a lot of other folks. I'm sure the committee will be concerned that the proper message is being communicated to the community and I think they will want to review any and all publications/forms for clarity.

Thanks for the feedback.

BOb B

Go to Top of Page

SoloTSi97

USA
241 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/13/2007 :  09:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit SoloTSi97's Homepage  Send SoloTSi97 an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
Originally posted by Bretland

This is a memorial for all veterans. Being a Monroe resident is not a requirement.

Excellent, thanks Bob!

-Bob

Cub Scout Pack 54
Boy Scout Troop 54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again