Printer Friendly

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  5:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

MIDDLETOWN The potential development of a new $300 million coke oven facility just off Ohio 4 shows AK Steel Corp.'s long-term commitment to Middletown, city officials say.

News surfaced late Tuesday, March 4, of a potential partnership between AK Steel and Tennessee-based SunCoke Energy that could result in the building of a facility in Middletown that would manufacture metallurgical coke and regenerate steam and heat into electricity. The facility could produce about 50 to 100 jobs, according to Middletown Planning Director Marty Kohler.

The "state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly" plant is targeted for 157 acres between Ohio 4 and the MADE Industrial Park, near Garden Manor Retirement Village and Amanda Elementary School.

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  5:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Not in my backyard

Letters were sent out last week notifying property owners adjacent to the proposed plant, and already there are rumblings from a few homeowners that the rezoning will be contested. Frank Schiavone, an attorney, property owner in the affected area and the older brother of David Schiavone, said he will do everything in his power to fight the proposal.

Robert and Carol Cowman, of Hamilton-Middletown Road, own three acres about 100 feet from the proposed site, where they just remodeled their home. They said they are afraid that the proposed coke oven would destroy the value of their home and their ability to sell it.

"We put a lot of heart, soul and money into this," Carol Cowman said of their home which actually sits in the Monroe city limits. "I can't imagine them putting something like this in a residential area."

Schiavone said the project would go through all the proper hearings and that the planning commission would hear all sides of the issue before making any recommendation to the council.

Go to Top of Page

monroegardener

USA
1860 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  5:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

LOL.

Like what's in our backyard already doesn't stink?

Will the old coke plant be shut down? If so, this sounds like an improvement.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Instigator[/i]
[br]Not in my backyard

Letters were sent out last week notifying property owners adjacent to the proposed plant, and already there are rumblings from a few homeowners that the rezoning will be contested. Frank Schiavone, an attorney, property owner in the affected area and the older brother of David Schiavone, said he will do everything in his power to fight the proposal.

Robert and Carol Cowman, of Hamilton-Middletown Road, own three acres about 100 feet from the proposed site, where they just remodeled their home. They said they are afraid that the proposed coke oven would destroy the value of their home and their ability to sell it.

"We put a lot of heart, soul and money into this," Carol Cowman said of their home which actually sits in the Monroe city limits. "I can't imagine them putting something like this in a residential area."

Schiavone said the project would go through all the proper hearings and that the planning commission would hear all sides of the issue before making any recommendation to the council.

Nature is ever at work building and pulling down, creating and destroying, keeping everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another. -John Muir, Naturalist and explorer (1838-1914)
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  6:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by monroegardener[/i]
[br]LOL.

quote:
[br]Not in my backyard

Tell that to Carol Cowman.

Go to Top of Page

monroegardener

USA
1860 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  6:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Muy sucko for Robert and Carol.

But if there's a greater good:
-more jobs
-cleaner air
-cleaner water (not so sure about this one)

then...

quote:
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by monroegardener[/i]
[br]LOL.

quote:
[br]Not in my backyard

Tell that to Carol Cowman.

Nature is ever at work building and pulling down, creating and destroying, keeping everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another. -John Muir, Naturalist and explorer (1838-1914)
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  6:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The one thing I am not clear on here is whether the AK coke plant would still be in use. If they close that down then might the job numbers just be a wash?
Go to Top of Page

monroegardener

USA
1860 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  8:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by sportsnut[/i]
[br]The one thing I am not clear on here is whether the AK coke plant would still be in use. If they close that down then might the job numbers just be a wash?

Good point. How many there now?

Anybody drive up toward Middletown this evening? The air was hazy with exhaust. Yecccchhh.

Go to Top of Page

Whisper4

USA
4424 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/06/2008 :  9:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]The one thing I am not clear on here is whether the AK coke plant would still be in use. If they close that down then might the job numbers just be a wash?

Excellent point....that's their agenda, to rid themselves of every union employee...
Think about it, pay them less...
The new contract they got says we will pay new employee's 70% of the current wages, which comes to less than $12.00 an hour and no benefits and no bonus....so go figure
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  04:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

While the planned coke plant is not immediately adjacent to our home, it is nearby and will probably impact our home value negatively. Nonetheless, we well knew when we bought the home that it was near the MADE industrial park, and that there was always the potential for a large industrial project happening there or at least nearby.

If America/Ohio is to have an economy at all, we must find a way to support industrial/commercial projects. Manufacturing plants create wealth. Service operations just spread wealth around differently.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Average Member

USA
806 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  06:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Isn't there some unused, hideously looking, run down plant already in existence somewhere that could be torn down and this new one built there? I hate to see what little nature we have left sacrificed for more hideous looking plants! (Unless they're green and require watering.) There's so much abandoned man-made eye sores out there already. The example running through my head is LeSourdsville Lake!
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  07:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ellie[/i]
[br]Isn't there some unused, hideously looking, run down plant already in existence somewhere that could be torn down and this new one built there? I hate to see what little nature we have left sacrificed for more hideous looking plants! (Unless they're green and require watering.) There's so much abandoned man-made eye sores out there already. The example running through my head is LeSourdsville Lake!

You just made 1200 potential families across the street and a whole bunch to the north........concerned. It is real close to me, but, I agree with Tom's post we must make something and buy it or we are finished as an economic world player.

Some economist have been trying to tell us for years that manufacturing is not important and a service economy will replace all and be robust. I don't buy it and never could understand their rationale.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Average Member

USA
806 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  08:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by blueblood[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ellie[/i]
[br]Isn't there some unused, hideously looking, run down plant already in existence somewhere that could be torn down and this new one built there? I hate to see what little nature we have left sacrificed for more hideous looking plants! (Unless they're green and require watering.) There's so much abandoned man-made eye sores out there already. The example running through my head is LeSourdsville Lake!

You just made 1200 potential families across the street and a whole bunch to the north........concerned. It is real close to me, but, I agree with Tom's post we must make something and buy it or we are finished as an economic world player.

Some economist have been trying to tell us for years that manufacturing is not important and a service economy will replace all and be robust. I don't buy it and never could understand their rationale.

Yes, that's in my backyard too. I don't mean I want it there...I just mean that if it's going to go somewhere, it might as well take up the space of something already in existence but not in use. Does that make sense?
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  08:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.suncoke.com/ http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/Voice/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8243

This appears to be what it will look like. I hope it is over the hill enough that I can't see it!!!

Photobucket

Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:34:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

They (AK) have stated the new coke plant will not cause the closing of the currently operating coke plant. Coke being at a premium. But only time would tell.
I do truly feel for those who will live in the shadow of this new plant. It will definitely have adverse effects on the property values.
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

LOL... Here we go now AK and Rockies!!!!! So this right on the border of MTOWN and Monroe? And Monroe cant do anything about it.

Check out my weather Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SouthwestOhioWeather

If you are looking to get in shape visit:
www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/1662/monroe-oh-45050
or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Coke Plant 1984
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Photobucket
Go to Top of Page

Wolfie

236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/08/2008 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfie's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Whisper4[/i]
[br]
quote:

Excellent point....that's their agenda, to rid themselves of every union employee...
Think about it, pay them less...
The new contract they got says we will pay new employee's 70% of the current wages, which comes to less than $12.00 an hour and no benefits and no bonus....so go figure

Coke is at a premium right now, and should be for a while. They have had to shut down most of their coke plant over the years due to emissions. Both the new plant and the old battery might take production back up to what it used to be.

The only agenda is to make steel.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfie

236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/08/2008 :  07:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfie's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.tech2.com/media/images/2007/Jun/img_6822_coca-cola-ap_450x360.jpg

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2008 :  01:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Wolfie[/i]
[br]Coke is at a premium right now, and should be for a while. They have had to shut down most of their coke plant over the years due to emissions. Both the new plant and the old battery might take production back up to what it used to be.

I am amazed they are building ANY new coke plants in the US. With Mexico's much less stringent emissions standards, and the NAFTA agreement enabling virtually open import of about anything, it just seems strange to see them building one here.

Back to Blueblood's comment on manufacturing vs service industries, I completely agree that our nation's economists were nuts in their belief that we could eliminate domestic manufacturing, and have a successful services-only industrial base. If memory serves, they justified that view in the belief that we could successfully export technology and business services, replacing manufacturing with service based businesses. What they seem to have missed is the concept that other nations, India as a huge example, can provide services far cheaper than we can do.

While the dollar's fall with respect to other nations' currency, certainly increases our fuel/gasoline prices, it certainly makes our export products far more advantageous and competitive on the world market. Just about the only great news in our nation's economic forecast is in our export products.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  07:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Coke ovens bring noise, dust, growth to hamlet
SunCoke says its process in Scioto County town is environmentally friendly.

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

Sunday, March 09, 2008

HAVERHILL, Ohio Business is brisk at PJ's Country Kitchen on Gallia Pike where owner Phyllis Lynch serves up hot breakfasts and lunches to many construction workers and employees from the Duke Energy, Dow Chemical and Sunoco Chemical plants nearby.

"If you're going to eat anything around here, you won't find anything better," said Lynch, a native West Virginian who has called Ohio home for the past three decades.

Lynch can often gauge the pulse of Haverhill a quiet hamlet of 500 about 20 miles east of Portsmouth by chatting up the regulars who grab a stool at the counter or one of the diner's nine booths and tables. A lot of the conversation these days surrounds SunCoke Energy Inc.'s new state-of-the-art cokemaking plant which was recently built on 267 acres.

SunCoke, a subsidiary of Sunoco Oil Co., is in talks with West Chester Twp.-based AK Steel Corp. about building a similar, but smaller, facility on 157 acres just off of Ohio 4 in Middletown. The development, if it happens, would represent a $300 million investment and could create up to 100 new jobs locally.

Lynch said shortly after SunCoke's facility arrived in Haverhill there were complaints by some residents about the noise generated by the 100 or so ovens that annually produce about 550,000 tons of coke a key component in steelmaking.

SunCoke officials tout that the company's cokemaking and heat recovery process is environmentally friendly. They said the process incinerates waste products and coke oven emissions and converts it into steam to generate electricity.

A customer, who declined to give his name, said some residents who lived north of the plant complained that when the wind blows, dust and dirt from the plant can get into their homes. Despite the noise, dust and other issues, the man said there are still some longtime residents who refuse to move or sell their homes.

"Most people who have lived here all of their lives and were raised here are fighting this," he said.

So is the case in Middletown where residents living near SunCoke's proposed site have declared they will do whatever it takes to stop the development, even if it means going to court.

But not everyone sees plants such as these as bad neighbors.

Louise Caserta has lived in the Haverhill area since 1983 and her home is within eyesight of the coke ovens and a farm field. Caserta said she sees more dust coming from equipment working on the nearby farmland than from the coke plant.

Harry Balmer, pastor of Midland Missionary Baptist Church, which sits west of the coke oven site, said he's heard the complaints about noise and dust, but his church hasn't been affected.

A Russian-owned steel company, Magnitogorsk Iron & Steel, is also reportedly looking at building a new steel plant in Haverhill. Balmer said developers have paid some residents for options to buy their property if the project comes to fruition.

He said his church has given the developers plans for a new church that would be relocated a few miles east of its current location.

"They're dealing with us," he said. "If they build our building, we'll be satisfied."

The quaintness of Haverhill, a small community nestled along the Ohio River and a stone's throw from the hills of northern Kentucky, doesn't belie the tremendous amount of new development taking place there.

The town has several small churches, a cemetery and a post office inside PJ's Country Kitchen. However, it is also home to a Sunoco Oil Co. chemical plant, SunCoke Energy and soon possibly a new steel mill.

SunCoke plans to complete construction of a second set of 100 coke ovens about a $230 million investment by June. The new ovens would produce about the same amount of coke as Haverhill's existing facility and generate about 46 megawatts of electricity.

A third set of coke ovens could be constructed later if all the company's plans come to fruition, officials said.

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2871 or erichter@coxohio.com.

Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  08:59:08 AM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We don't want jobs going overseas or into Mexico - but we will refuse to allow them in our back yards. That's why the U.S. is where it is today.

There is no reward without risk.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  09:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by itbedave[/i]
[br]We don't want jobs going overseas or into Mexico - but we will refuse to allow them in our back yards. That's why the U.S. is where it is today.

There is no reward without risk.

One reason I posted this article is that it has negative feedback as well as a positive spin on these plants. I feel for the people on their doorstep, but I am close also and am keeping an open mind, even though it will not help my property value!!

If you read the entire article there are two completely opposite point of views.

Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  09:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Oh - I agree. And I'm not insensitive to the people who live near it. But what I said is exactly why we don't have things like wind farms or drilling for our own oil off the coasts. We want the benefits of these businesses without the cost.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  10:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes, but not in my neighborhood is a big part of whats wrong in this country. We have a vast population that is all about 'me'.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  6:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Wolfie[/i]
[br]Coke is at a premium right now, and should be for a while. They have had to shut down most of their coke plant over the years due to emissions. Both the new plant and the old battery might take production back up to what it used to be.

I am amazed they are building ANY new coke plants in the US. With Mexico's much less stringent emissions standards, and the NAFTA agreement enabling virtually open import of about anything, it just seems strange to see them building one here.

Back to Blueblood's comment on manufacturing vs service industries, I completely agree that our nation's economists were nuts in their belief that we could eliminate domestic manufacturing, and have a successful services-only industrial base. If memory serves, they justified that view in the belief that we could successfully export technology and business services, replacing manufacturing with service based businesses. What they seem to have missed is the concept that other nations, India as a huge example, can provide services far cheaper than we can do.

While the dollar's fall with respect to other nations' currency, certainly increases our fuel/gasoline prices, it certainly makes our export products far more advantageous and competitive on the world market. Just about the only great news in our nation's economic forecast is in our export products.

It doesn't surprise me. Coke produced locally and effciently can save AK millions.

Plus, SunCoke Energy says it produces no hazardous emissions.

And, SunCoke Energy's heat-recovery technology converts waste heat into steam and electricity. Benzene and other pollutants generated in the long hours of baking coal are incinerated inside the coke ovens, eliminating the need for a chemical byproducts plant and disposal of hazardous waste.

Still, I would hate to live next door.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2008 :  10:28:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The lesson here is never buy a house that has a large field behind it. It might be nice not having people living behind you but that can change in a minute.
Go to Top of Page

Jane Smith

1553 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/11/2008 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think the AK move, to West Chester says everything.

As for the pollution, they have gotten away with it for so many years, do you honestly think that any plant, can be environmentally friendly? A coke plant?

There are thousands of company's that would rather pay fines every month, then to fix or install the filters needed. So they do not pollute the environment. And as for the EPA, their standards are quite lax, to tell the truth.

Just take a look at you water testing for the last 5-10 years.

I really feel for the neighbors, in this area. But, you wont stop it, I hope you still try. The Middletown City wants it, as much as AK. And maybe there is a small miracle out there to grasp, but you might just want to put, the For Sale sign up now.

If your picketing, or need help, please email me. I have fought and won, the removal of a 10,000 toxic waste barrel site. And I would definitely call the lawyer involved. GOOD LUCK!
Go to Top of Page

Wolfie

236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/11/2008 :  1:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfie's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by isis[/i]
[br]I think the AK move, to West Chester says everything.

As for the pollution, they have gotten away with it for so many years, do you honestly think that any plant, can be environmentally friendly? A coke plant?

There are thousands of company's that would rather pay fines every month, then to fix or install the filters needed. So they do not pollute the environment. And as for the EPA, their standards are quite lax, to tell the truth.

Just take a look at you water testing for the last 5-10 years.

I really feel for the neighbors, in this area. But, you wont stop it, I hope you still try. The Middletown City wants it, as much as AK. And maybe there is a small miracle out there to grasp, but you might just want to put, the For Sale sign up now.

If your picketing, or need help, please email me. I have fought and won, the removal of a 10,000 toxic waste barrel site. And I would definitely call the lawyer involved. GOOD LUCK!

What does the move say?
What are the fines?
What water source? What testing?
Why picket?
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:17:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Coke plant=Bad for Monroe! Residents that live near by Todhunter, Dorthy Lane, Whispering Oaks, Colonial Manner, Niederlander along Route 4 between the fire station and Garden Manor please be aware this is NOT good for your property values. There is a Planning Commission Meeting in downtown Middletown at the City building to discuss this. Several residents from Monroe including myself will be at the meeting to address concerns. Please attend this meeting if you live in Monroe to support our fellow citizens. Thank You in advance!

March 11th 2008
Middletown City Hall
6:30 PM

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The plant location is totally unacceptable. It is to be situated between Garden Manor Retirement Home and Amanda Elementary School instead of on AK property where it would have less impact on the health and welfare of our most health vulnerable citizens. Also the impact on residential housing is clearly unacceptable.

Tomorrow night at the Middletown Planning Commission Meeting, this issue will be on the table. Its all taking place in Middletown Council Chambers at 6:30 pm. in the City Building. This should be interesting because Frank Schiavone, Bill Brock and Kevin Chessar will join other in opposition to rezoning the land so a Coke plant could be built.

I hope to u-tube the video from this event. Stay tuned.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:29:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]The plant location is totally unacceptable. It is to be situated between Garden Manor Retirement Home and Amanda Elementary School instead of on AK property where it would have less impact on the health and welfare of our most health vulnerable citizens. Also the impact on residential housing is clearly unacceptable.

Tomorrow night at the Middletown Planning Commission Meeting, this issue will be on the table. Its all taking place in Middletown Council Chambers at 6:30 pm. in the City Building. This should be interesting because Frank Schiavone, Bill Brock and Kevin Chessar will join other in opposition to rezoning the land so a Coke plant could be built.

Good post John. Can we somehow get a thread that has the time and location of this meeting. Change this one or make a new one.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

janeatte
Average Member

1470 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/12/2008 :  08:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I thought the presentation the att. did last night was good. I will play devils advocite here, while my husband does work @ ak and we use to live in middletown, in the mayfield area, I grew accustumed to coming out every morning with a haze on the windows of the cars, the house always had to be dusted. When we bought the house, WE knew AK was in our sites, heck we could hear it. We knew what we were doing.

*I do not think the coke plat @ ak has brought the property values down, I think it has to do more with unemployment, drugs, and crime.
*while I DO NO agree with them putting this up near a school, I would like to see a better alternative.
*Fact of the matter is this, unfortunely AK pays a many of our bills and pensions.

Like I said, I agree and disagree.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

USA
357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/12/2008 :  12:33:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Frank Schiavone addresses council about the Coke Plant planned next to Monroe city line.

Go to Top of Page

bb1

Oman
1627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/12/2008 :  4:43:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bb1's MSN Messenger address  Send bb1 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ursosju25[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]The plant location is totally unacceptable. It is to be situated between Garden Manor Retirement Home and Amanda Elementary School instead of on AK property where it would have less impact on the health and welfare of our most health vulnerable citizens. Also the impact on residential housing is clearly unacceptable.

Good post John. Can we somehow get a thread that has the time and location of this meeting. Change this one or make a new one.

A coke plant in Monroe? I can't wait! Sign me up for the opening tour.
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/12/2008 :  11:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks to all who attended the meeting tonight! What a turnout! The latest news is they tabled the issue due to lack of information from the Coke company. Lots of emotion in this meeting to say the least. More information will be released throughout the week.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/12/2008 :  11:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am really tired right now but lots of good information came out tonight at this meeting. I think Sun Energy came up prepared not having a drawing of what they wanted to do, how much of that land their going to use, how much emission their going to put off. Several issues they DID NOT address. I got up and spoke briefly tonight because there was an issue brought up about wind. A supporter of this Coke plant got up and said most of our winds come from the southwest and that it won't effect Garden Manor and places like Whispering Oaks etc. That made my blood boil because heck if he dominant winds out of the south it would not GET COLD HERE. How do we get cold? Winds from the NORTHWEST! How do we cool off in the summer? Winds from the northwest! It would NOT SNOW here if we had winds out of the southwest we would always be mild with temperatures in the 50's and 60's in the winter and 80's and 90's in the summer if that were the case. Even if he had our winds straight out of the southeast that dust and crud would blow right at Amanda School. I just had to get that off my chest. I know John Beagle and hopefully some others will have additional information to post on. here. Thank You Suzi Rubin, Lora Stillman, Bill Brock and Kevin Chesar and all the citizens of Monroe for being in attendance tonight.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Wolfie

236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/13/2008 :  01:36:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfie's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Who ownes the land in question?

I would much rather see a new plant rather than the old. Seems technology has come a long way in the last 50 years.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/13/2008 :  06:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This thing is in my back yard! Do I want it there? Not really. Only a small handful of residents would be closer to it than I.

Construction of heavy industry in the US today is almost extinct! Standard of living locally and nationally has/will continue to go down because we are ceasing to manufacturer and not buying what we do make. We constantly wail at mean and ruthless executives moving jobs out of the country.

Killing this plant is the environmental equivalent to killing an animal on the endangered species list!!!

Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]MIDDLETOWN The potential development of a new $300 million coke oven facility just off Ohio 4 shows AK Steel Corp.'s long-term commitment to Middletown, city officials say.

News surfaced late Tuesday, March 4, of a potential partnership between AK Steel and Tennessee-based SunCoke Energy that could result in the building of a facility in Middletown that would manufacture metallurgical coke and regenerate steam and heat into electricity. The facility could produce about 50 to 100 jobs, according to Middletown Planning Director Marty Kohler.

The "state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly" plant is targeted for 157 acres
between Ohio 4 and the MADE Industrial Park, near Garden Manor Retirement Village and Amanda Elementary School.

What's the reason for putting it near the cities lines of Middletown and Monroe?
Surely they have 160 acres somewhere else in Middletown.
How much could 50 to 100 employees really stimulate the economy in this area?
Oh they may rent the apartments at Monroe Crossing.
But the city receives not no income tax money.
Yet the schools just may get more kids.
Yep it sounds good to me sign me up for a yes for the Coke plant. NOT!

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/13/2008 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]
What's the reason for putting it near the cities lines of Middletown and Monroe?
Surely they have 160 acres somewhere else in Middletown.
How much could 50 to 100 employees really stimulate the economy in this area?
Oh they may rent the apartments at Monroe Crossing.
But the city receives not no income tax money.
Yet the schools just may get more kids.
Yep it sounds good to me sign me up for a yes for the Coke plant. NOT!

Reason for putting it there? Maybe because Middletown views that area as most expendable?

How about the same reason as the pipeline? That the cities' juncture is an poor area, with little political pull, that is not completely build up yet?

100 jobs will not directly change the economy much. But if it contributes to AK staying here, then it is a big impact. Who knows.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24