New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Did you know the school is auctioning off stuff.

What stuff?
Go here and find out: http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=4037

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=569434&kwd=&zip=45050&category=0

Auction Information

Auctioneer DOWERS FAMILY AUCTIONS (formerly CHESTER DOWERS AUCTIONEER) 513-967-9199
Auction Date Feb 07 Auction
Location Monroe City Schools
231 McCready
Monroe, OH

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dowers Family Auctions

Saturday, February 7, 2009, 10:00 AM

Monroe City Schools Surplus Auction

Directions: I-75 North to U.S. Route 63 (Monroe Exit) turn left * go to Britton turn left * go straight into Monroe Elementary School parking lot * follow the driveway to the left to get to the old high school garage * look for our signs.

Property of Monroe City Schools. All items are surplus and offered at auction by the Monroe City School District. The following items will be offered:

Tools: entire woodshop consisting of 4 Rockwell/Delta wood lathes, 3 Rockwell/Delta 18 scroll saws,

2 Rockwell/Delta drill presses, Rockwell/Delta joiner-planer, Delta Radial arm saw, Rockwell table saw, roller tables, Rockwell/Delta 24 x 9 planer, Rockwell 20 band saw, Rockwell #14 Ban-Saw, Rockwell/Delta Uniplaner, Delta pedestal grinder, Delta spindle sander, Delta universal wet/dry grinder, Delta/Rockwell bench grinder, 2 Rockwell/Delta vertical belt sanders, Locker base work benches, woodworking vices, Lathe turning tools, clamps, miscellaneous hand tools, Other tools include, Tap and Die set, Tennsmith Brake, miscellaneous metal tools, scrap metal, flammable-chemical safety cabinet (60 gallon storage), hardware

Lumber: Hundreds of board feet of Oak, Maple, Hickory, Ash, American Cherry, Brazilian Cherry, Mahoghany, Cedar, Heart Pine, Walnut Much of this wood is rough sawn and in lengths of 8' - 14'. Much more in shop area cut off bins. Woodworking dream!!!

Photo items: Photo lab equipment, including photo enlargers, developers, timers, too much to list!

Furniture: Desks, chairs, file cabinets, 2 door metal and wood cabinets, lab cabinets, oak single and double pedestal teacher desks, oak student desks, computer desks.

Computer items: Monitors, scanners, printers, lap top computers, lunch line card scanners, hard drives, routers, blueprint printers, and much more.

Special items: Circa 1950 showcases/trophy case, Circa 1920 showcase/trophy case, Circa 1940 medicine cabinet, Circa 1960 NCR cash register with keys, Pottery Wheels, Oak wall mount coat racks, plant growing rack, incubators, older student drafting type tables, Advance Carpetreiver cleaner, Advance Aqua Clean Classic carpet cleaner, Powerflight 17 floor buffer, Clarke FM-17 Buffer.

This is a huge auction bring your trucks, more being added, see auctionzip.com for photos. Dont miss this auction!!!

Terms and Conditions: This is the property of Monroe City School District. All items are sold as-is with no warranty actual or implied. No Buyers Premium. Cash or check accepted. All checks are verified by Telecheck. Pick up is the day of the auction. Other pick up arrangements can be made with the auctioneer and school staff if necessary. Food will be available.

Auctioneers: Dave, Jeff and Chester Dowers, Licensed in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

Dave Dowers OH #2005000090,

Dowers Family Auctions, LLC

For any questions call 513-967-9199 or e-mail ddowers@sibcycline.com

Always doing our best for you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auctioneer License Information: OH 2005000090

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I will be dissapointed in MLS if they dont offer the early century things to the Monroe Historical Society first. We need to keep what relics we have about Monroe in Monroe. JMO
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Do we not have a woodshop in the new high school? Why would they get rid of all the wood they have & not take it to the new school?
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Figures, I will be out of town when this happens. I would have liked to bid on some of those tools.

Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If its a typical Auction you should be able to contact the Auctioneer and place your bid on the things you are wanting.
Go to Top of Page

davepelfrey

USA
2270 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  4:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Maybe I wasn't reading it right, but I think you can bid on-line. John, you can find someone on here to show you around "Al Gore's internet thingy" and bid that way.

I won't say "I told you so, but........"

Confuse a liberal, use facts & reason.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Go to Top of Page

Roadstar

USA
426 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/02/2009 :  7:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Eagle[/i]
[br]Do we not have a woodshop in the new high school? Why would they get rid of all the wood they have & not take it to the new school?

Hmmm....This really doesn't make sense. The price of hardwood today, why would they not use it at the new school????
I can see getting rid of the old shop equipment.

Guess I'll see ya there Eagle......

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have the film.
Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes, to offering the Historical Society folks a chance to pick items before the auction.

I can't contain myself. Wow, what a waste of taxpayer money for all that woodshop material (wood and hardware). Sure would be nice if the curriculum could put an emphasis on teaching carpentry, etc instead of all tech jobs. Do we not teach shop anymore? I hope folks come out and bid as I'm assuming the money funnels back into the school budget, less auctioneer fees.

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=569434&category=0&zip=45050&kwd=

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

None of it works. I was down there with Arnie a few years ago making some signs and all the machines were froze up. Many shorted out from the moisture down there. When you see the wood you will understand why they are selling it.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob Kelley[/i]
[br]None of it works. I was down there with Arnie a few years ago making some signs and all the machines were froze up. Many shorted out from the moisture down there. When you see the wood you will understand why they are selling it.

They are auctioning off the wood and machines because since moving to the new building in 2004, Monroe has not offered a shop class. The new school does not even have a shop. I regret that, but there simply are not enough hours in a day now to meet the educational requirements of the state scorecard and no child left behind. Fewer and fewer schools offer the old traditional shop classes now. For high school programs, there is a full offering at Butler Tech.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

That is really sad that shop is not part of our education program. I probably learned more about life from shop and especially the shop teacher than any other subject. It wasn't so much the things learned as it was the worldly transfer of knowledge from the teacher about life from a male perspective!

Besides, it was fun, as well as educational. Drafting, electronics/electricity, leather working, wood working, mechanical applications. Most of the basics I still call on today from time to time.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2009 :  10:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think it's sad, too. Some children never go to college or a trade school, this is all they get. I'm sure countless adults use the wood shop skills they learned in high school every day in their jobs. At least one grading period in high school for everybodywould be nice, just to get the basics.
Go to Top of Page

lovemonroe

USA
462 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/07/2009 :  3:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If the new HS doesn't have a shop - what is that room by the HS cafeteria that I hear saws buzzing in?
Go to Top of Page

loaner288

1868 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/07/2009 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There is a work room behind the stage where they build the sets. That may be what you are hearing.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/07/2009 :  10:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So did any of you get anything at today's school auction? I understand that a big crowd was there.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

drs_1827

USA
691 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/07/2009 :  11:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The room by the cafeteria is the Butler Tech lab. They offer 'wood shop' or industrial tech to Monroe students.
Go to Top of Page

monroegardener

USA
1860 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/09/2009 :  08:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There was a very good crowd. Some folks left having made excellent deals on equipment. Definitely some water/condensation damage on things, but everything I examined still had good movement where you'd expect it. For some things, even if a motor needed replacement, the price was right.

I didn't stay for the wood (still quite a decent and apparently ravenous crowd for that), but there were nice stacks of maple and walnut stock.

Nature is ever at work building and pulling down, creating and destroying, keeping everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another. -John Muir, Naturalist and explorer (1838-1914)
Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Where did "Shop" go you ask? Well, programs like that cost money. When it is short, classes like this go away. As money gets tighter, more electives like shop will vanish also.

parlez vous francais? Not at MHS... gone. As funding gets tighter watch others slide away.

The sound by the cafeteria is "Tech. Engineering" Great class with a great teacher for students looking for career options

Under NCLB - Jacque Cousteau did not have enough education to teach your child Marine Biology
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City