Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The vote tally is in and its doesn't look good for the incumbents.

ANNA L. HALE.......... 2166 27.16%
TODD HICKMAN.......... 1744 21.87%
ROBERT E. ROUTSON..... 1655 20.75%

No doubt that Anna Hale would be re-elected. But for the remaining leadership on council, a message was sent.

Let's look at the facts:
First of all the voters voted out the Vice Mayor. Secondly, the current mayor was the least vote getter.

The message to council is that the voters are not happy with the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of tax payer money. If SunCoke is unresolved by the next election, we will see further changes in city leadership.

Yes, there is indeed a message from the voters.

Council, the voters actually speak louder than the vocal minority. Are you listening?

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Vocal minority?

You had better take out your calculator and take a good look at how much tax revenue for the city sits near that proposed Coke plant.

I don't think voices have anything to do with it and the loss of tax revenue has everything to do with it.

Glad you could extrapolate so much information from an odd numbered year election. It is my experience that odd numbered year elections aren't much of an indication of anything.

Go to Top of Page

Mr.Baseball02

172 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The council will not just pack up give up the fight right now. There in the middle of litigation that is still pending. Its that simple till the current litigation is ironed out the city will not even consider closing up shop. Lastly, Mr. Hickman if he opposes the city is only one vote of 7.....
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

cmsquare, you are a shining example of the vocal minority. And I support your right be be just that. Vocal and minority on opinions.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Baseball02

172 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]cmsquare, you are a shining example of the vocal minority. And I support your right be be just that. Vocal and minority on opinions.

Even though this CMsquare is quite mean.... I will have to stick up for him and say he does have a valid point about lost tax money. That is fact. John you are making an inference..... The fact is city and school will lose alot more in tax money then what the city will spend on this plant. Its going to be a tough fight but we can win this.
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I don't think one incumbent being voted off is necessarily a mandate for major change. It just means that maybe Mr Hickman did a good job of presenting himself as a viable candidate and he reached a few more voters than the others that were not elected.
The council still stays pretty much the same (6 of the 7) and it will probably function as it has over the past two years.

I'm interested in who will be selected as Mayor..

Congratulations to Anna Hale, Todd Hickman and Bob Routson.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

spsllc

USA
41 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

From the 2005 Election, percentages are close to the same. I don't see it as a message being sent. Mr. Tannreuther has other issues, I think they sent him a message.
http://www.butlercountyelections.org/results/files/Nov05/Results.htm
ANNA HALE 1834 26.73%
ROBERT E. ROUTSON 1425 20.77%
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Baseball02

172 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  10:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Mr. Beagle,

Lets look over at Middletown,Ohio!!! The number one supporter for SunCoke on Middletown City Council was removed last night from city council. Mr. Laubach took out Tony Marconi from city council. The city Middletown also shouted CHANGE in a way big way. Could it be Mr.Marconi lost for outspoken support for SunCoke? UMMMM

Anna Hale was also the top vote getter and if SunCoke was such an issue then Mr.Hickman would of likely been the top vote getter.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]cmsquare, you are a shining example of the vocal minority. And I support your right be be just that. Vocal and minority on opinions.

I might be vocal here...but I have essentially done nothing in the real world to stop that plant. I voted yesterday just like you did. Still as we sit and talk here right now there is nothing stopping AK from starting construction as I understand it...So why no construction?

But again...I ask you and your calculator...how much tax revenue can Monroe afford to lose in the that quadrant of the city. I know you are always concerned about taxes. You are always concerned about these taxes....you should be concerned about a good chunk of revenue about to go up in smoke...or should I say coke.

I didn't see this as a call for change either, but Mr. Beagle has an agenda when it comes to this issue. He got involved in a pissing match and now he's going to keep it up. This is not part of the no spin zone.

I'm not always in the minority by the way, I was on the majority side of a pretty big election a year ago, it was pretty much a land slide.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We supported Mr. Lauback on www.MiddletownUSA.com. We welcomed him:

MUSA Blog Forum: Congratulations Joshua...... I Mean Mr. Laubach
4 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Oct 3
As a small business owner in Middletown I would be happy to do what I can. I am now going out to Bronze my front yard sign. ...
www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2260... - Similar

MUSA Blog Forum: Josh Laubach.......Impressive!
I'm very impressed with Josh Laubach, in my opinion he's the best man running, (out of all the candidates, not just 3rd ward). ...
www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID... - Cached - Similar

Mr. Marconi by no means was the sole supporter of SunCoke, heck the whole town supports the $340 Million investment.

Go to Top of Page

Mr.Baseball02

172 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]We supported Mr. Lauback on www.MiddletownUSA.com. We welcomed him:

MUSA Blog Forum: Congratulations Joshua...... I Mean Mr. Laubach
4 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Oct 3
As a small business owner in Middletown I would be happy to do what I can. I am now going out to Bronze my front yard sign. ...
www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2260... - Similar

MUSA Blog Forum: Josh Laubach.......Impressive!
I'm very impressed with Josh Laubach, in my opinion he's the best man running, (out of all the candidates, not just 3rd ward). ...
www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID... - Cached - Similar

Mr. Marconi by no means was the sole supporter of SunCoke, heck the whole town supports the $340 Million investment.

What???? We had 3400 signatures that said people wanted a say in the rezoning of the Martin/Bake Farm. Many people in Middletown oppose this plant wants the city to invest in 21st century jobs! Do you want me to share those petitions with you? Many of the people we visited were opposed to the plant and wanted Middletown to go in a new direction. Sorry John but you are dead wrong on the whole town supporting it.
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Baseball02

172 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Mr. Marconi was quite outspoken in the paper and on TV Middletown during the meetings. I am glad to see Mr. Marconi gone....
Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

The message to council is that the voters are not happy with the expenditure of hundreds of thousands of tax payer money. If SunCoke is unresolved by the next election, we will see further changes in city leadership.

John, are you delirious? How do you get the defeat of one Council incumbent that there is this huge message from the voters that we consider SunCoke a waste of money?

There are a myriad of reasons Mr Tannenreuther was voted out. Mr. Hickman never came out for or against the plant but he did put up a lot of signs and brochures. But even if Todd now votes against the fight, he is only 1 of 7 that believe this lawsuit has no merit. But I ask, if it's just a waste of money, why no construction? They should be online by now, making money and spewing crap towards Monroe. Instead they are busy scratching their heads and rewriting the plan. Kudos to Council, including our current Vice Mayor.

I think the removal of one Council member had more to do with that one councilman and not winds of change blowing thru Monroe.

Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  12:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]The vote tally is in and its doesn't look good for the incumbents.

ANNA L. HALE.......... 2166 27.16%
TODD HICKMAN.......... 1744 21.87%
ROBERT E. ROUTSON..... 1655 20.75%

No doubt that Anna Hale would be re-elected. But for the remaining leadership on council, a message was sent.

Let's look at the facts:
First of all the voters voted out the Vice Mayor. Secondly, the current mayor was the least vote getter.

Council, the voters actually speak louder than the vocal minority. Are you listening?

That is a reach!
Go to Top of Page

Mr.Baseball02

172 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  1:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by buckeyenut[/i]
[br]
quote:

John, are you delirious? How do you get the defeat of one Council incumbent that there is this huge message from the voters that we consider SunCoke a waste of money?

There are a myriad of reasons Mr Tannenreuther was voted out. Mr. Hickman never came out for or against the plant but he did put up a lot of signs and brochures. But even if Todd now votes against the fight, he is only 1 of 7 that believe this lawsuit has no merit. But I ask, if it's just a waste of money, why no construction? They should be online by now, making money and spewing crap towards Monroe. Instead they are busy scratching their heads and rewriting the plan. Kudos to Council, including our current Vice Mayor.

I think the removal of one Council member had more to do with that one councilman and not winds of change blowing thru Monroe.

Beautifully stated....John my friend let me say this again.... If Monroe was wasting money... Wouldn't the plant be built by now or even operational?
Go to Top of Page

trublue

96 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  4:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

didn't vote for incumbents. reason, SunCoke. will be that way when the others are up for re-election.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  5:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by trublue[/i]
[br]didn't vote for incumbents.

How did that work out for you?

Go to Top of Page

MonroeWatch

USA
89 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  5:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Hickman beat Tannreuther because in part, of our little groups effort. You know the silent majority. By next election who knows. Almost none of us post here because we don't want to be lambasted by the 'vocal minority' as Mr. Beagle puts it.

SunCoke will be built, Monroe will lose it's lawsuit, $1Million of the taxpayer money will be gone and in 2 short years, most of council will be gone too. Funny, our money will be gone and the people who spent it will be gone too. Just like the last round with the previous good old boys club.

We're watching out for you.
Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  5:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I for one will vote to keep "vocal & decisive" members like Kelley on Council. I've been to several meetings and never saw Mr. Hickman. Matter of fact Urso is pretty much the only one who cares to attend on a fairly regular basis.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  7:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by MonroeWatch[/i]
[br]Hickman beat Tannreuther because in part, of our little groups effort. You know the silent majority. By next election who knows. Almost none of us post here because we don't want to be lambasted by the 'vocal minority' as Mr. Beagle puts it.

SunCoke will be built, Monroe will lose it's lawsuit, $1Million of the taxpayer money will be gone and in 2 short years, most of council will be gone too. Funny, our money will be gone and the people who spent it will be gone too. Just like the last round with the previous good old boys club.

so you can you tell us all why they aren't building right now? Nothing is stopping them. Why not get building? Why no action? Clearly they fear something.

I'm not sue how solid your math skills are, but you don't have all that great of a shot at getting a majority on council who support you in just 2 years...the #'s just don't add up.

Mr Beagle must still be crunching the tax figures....I would imagine the lost revenue from that part of town is enough to make one throw up in their mouth. I know he loves paying taxes and there are more coming for all of you when this coke plant goes live!
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Steele

2019 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  7:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Matt_Steele an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm not sure what kind of message you can derive from the defeat of one incumbent but I will say this. A vocal minority will get their way many many more times than a silent majority. Therefore if there is such a thing as a "silent majority" in Monroe about this issue. If you don't speak up and become more vocal then you're just shooting yourself in the foot and hurting your own cause. My guess is that a lot of Monroe is actually much more ambivalent about this issue.

I can only give a personal experience but the Suncoke issue was never on my mind when deciding who to vote for (and I ended up voting for the people who won)
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/04/2009 :  8:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Todd ran a very active campaign, just as Tracy did two years ago. Both got a lot of votes. Some incumbents didn't run active campaigns this year. I just don't see deep meaning beyond that in how our races turned out.

Campaigning works. That includes signs, meetings in homes, knocking on doors, and a core support group that is involved. Having a solid message and truthful message certainly doesn't hurt. These combined to give Monroe Local Schools a 72% passage of a substitution levy, when most districts couldn't even pass an emergency renewal.

Congratulations to all the victors.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

wolfgang z

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  09:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Going back to the original statement of lost revenue, most of Yankee road is in Middletown.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  09:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

what does yankee rd have to do with anything?

There are 3 or 4 sub divisions, most with relatively new homes south of yankee rd and in monroe. I'd love to know what that quadrant of the city currently accounts for in terms of tax dollars. It's not small i can promise you that.

When all those homes take big hit in value and they pay significantly less into the pot than they do today...then what do you think happens?

Where will the money come from then? Maybe you need to take a drive up there and see how many homes are up in that part of the city.
Go to Top of Page

spsllc

USA
41 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So your saying that if suncoke builds, the city will need another tax increase to keep the revenue where they are now?
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

cmsquare, I would but I am still calculating the tax revenue and income for local subcontractors on that $640 Million investment.

I have to say I appreciate your tenacity cmsquare, and I respect what you have to say. To be honest, I am not sure how many homeowners will have their property significantly impacted. It is a nice neighborhood and will probably be just as nice 5 years from now.

I do not deny that some houses will be severely negatively impacted. I think those people ought to seek legal representation to get full market value out of their homes. It is horrible that anyone has to be impacted negatively but whenever you move near a steel mill, you run a larger risk of being polluted upon than if lived away from a steel mill.

The ugly truth is that we need those jobs, our country needs to make steel and our economy needs this investment. Allot of people on here have been hurt by this lawsuit. Many refuse to post on here because they don't want to be yelled at, or feel afraid that some pro-lawsuit people will do them bodily harm. The thought has me concerned.

Again, I respect your right to express your opinion. If you disagree with me, fine. Keep in mind, I have the same right to express my opinions as anyone else on this website.

Go to Top of Page

Prada

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:16:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I live in the home of my dreams on Carol Ann Lane. I have been here for 20+ years and plan on being here until I cant keep it up any more. We have a beautiful pool/ landscaping, nice acre lot, new kitchen, bathrooms, etc. Never did I expect that there could be an industrial complex like a Coke plant right next door to us. Chugging out black smoke. It is bad enough with all dirt we get from AK. This changes everything and will change the resale value of the property. As a community we should stand up for each other and rally around each other in support. It appears if you live on the other side of Monroe that you are saying hell with us = let it go- don't throw good money after bad. We have invested our own funds with our neighborhood group to fight Suncoke - I pay City payroll taxes, property taxes - I appreciate the former City COuncil supporting our fight, rallying with us and NOT saying too bad - so sad. I am very disappointed that Hickman NEVER attempted to share his thoughts on Suncoke - other than as instigator - and I asked in several different places what his opinion was (City of Monroe site, facebook site, Voice, etc). He concerns me if his actions are anything like they were when he was the Instigator.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I have to say I appreciate your tenacity cmsquare, and I respect what you have to say. To be honest, I am not sure how many homeowners will have their property significantly impacted. It is a nice neighborhood and will probably be just as nice 5 years from now.

Reduced home values from this project already are already a fact John. In fact, you say so just down the page in your next comment. They will remain negatively impacted, for as long as the plan is in play. Buyers are certainly aware of the risk now, and are making that clear in their decisions. The only reason it is not obvious to all is that the general market is not good, and obscures it. In my mind, the only significant reason to question the city action, is to question their chance of success. But we just don't have the information to judge that. But seven council members who do know it are 100% aligned to pursue the court action.
quote:

I do not deny that some houses will be severely negatively impacted. I think those people ought to seek legal representation to get full market value out of their homes.

Again, you already did, up the page. The chances of such an individual legal action succeeding, just based upon property values, is about zero. But the odds of success of the city taking such action, based on compliance with existing environmental laws, AND property values, is much greater.
quote:

A lot of people on here have been hurt by this lawsuit. Many refuse to post on here because they don't want to be yelled at, or feel afraid that some pro-lawsuit people will do them bodily harm. The thought has me concerned.

I have to laugh at the ongoing Monroe fear of speaking out. I certainly have taken positions contrary to very outspoken council members, and have never once seen a significant personal impact of doing so, beyond the responses in this forum. And of the people I have dealt with in the school district, who are so afraid of speaking out for fear of punitive actions, I just have not seen that occur either, and I have dug into this. If anything, speaking out results in an aversion by government bodies and officials to present even the appearance of such behavior, and thus it serves to help those who speak out, far more than hurting them.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank you for speaking to me from one Monroe taxpayer to the other.

I appreciate the respectful way you expressed your personal tragedy. It sounds like you have a lovely home and I am sorry it might not always be that way.

I think it is important for all of us to hear and see the impact on our lives. The more you explain your side in human terms, the better your message gets out.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Perhaps you might just sway a few more readers in your direction.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Prada[/i]
[br]I live in the home of my dreams on Carol Ann Lane. I have been here for 20+ years and plan on being here until I cant keep it up any more. We have a beautiful pool/ landscaping, nice acre lot, new kitchen, bathrooms, etc. Never did I expect that there could be an industrial complex like a Coke plant right next door to us. Chugging out black smoke. It is bad enough with all dirt we get from AK. This changes everything and will change the resale value of the property. As a community we should stand up for each other and rally around each other in support. It appears if you live on the other side of Monroe that you are saying hell with us = let it go- don't throw good money after bad. We have invested our own funds with our neighborhood group to fight Suncoke - I pay City payroll taxes, property taxes - I appreciate the former City COuncil supporting our fight, rallying with us and NOT saying too bad - so sad. I am very disappointed that Hickman NEVER attempted to share his thoughts on Suncoke - other than as instigator - and I asked in several different places what his opinion was (City of Monroe site, facebook site, Voice, etc). He concerns me if his actions are anything like they were when he was the Instigator.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  5:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

John

You are pro big business and not for the greater good your community, it really is a shame. Save the "i'm for creating jobs talk", this plant is going to ruin some people's lives and your telling them they should pursue individual action against AK? That's laughable...you are a businessman...you know the chances of that working are slim and none. An effort led by the city is the only way.

I've got news for you...this isn't the industrial revolution...those jobs are leaving this country...and they aren't coming back. Labor is cheaper and the cost of doing business is lower other places.

I've never said you shouldn't be able to post your opinions...I just wish you would disclose all the facts when go off on this rants. You really didn't say much about the coke issues until people questioned some of your advertising revenue...and if you remember correctly I always supported your right to sell adds to anyone who wanted to buy them. Since then..and only since then have you become outspoken on this issue...to me that makes me question your motivation. Do you really care about the plant and these construction jobs? Or would you just like to see the council fail because you don't like them?

You're dead wrong about property values as Tom pointed out already...they have already been impacted. Maybe you need to stop touting the party line on this one and take a good look at what is happening to the town which you live in and have a website devoted too.

Then again you'll probably still choose big business over the regular people...it's what your party does.

Where does the money come from that will no doubt disappear once a coke plant is backed up on our boarder? I would like to know.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

"think those people ought to seek legal representation to get full market value out of their homes."

so and justice for all with the deepest pockets right? Just let AK buy justice and outcomes and screw the little guy.

You want single families to take on billion dollar corporations? I should hope you and your business never find yourself in such a situation..I wonder how long you could afford to stand up for yourself against a giant corporation like say AK Steel...or Monster.

I encourage you to watch this video John Beagle as a small business owner. The situation doesn't apply directly to what we talk about here but the basics can be applied.

Who do you side with here?

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  5:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Great video. I can't help thinking that Monroe City is in the roll of the small businessman in the video. He, the small businessman, makes a very good argument that supports my view that Monroe can not stand up to a multi-Billion dollar corporation.

This is what I have been saying all along. I don't understand why you think Monroe Taxpayers can win this. You certainly are not getting the national media exposure that this guy is getting. Why not spend money with a media expert and get CNN and other medias down here to interview those who are negatively impacted. That would be money well spent. Get the Huffington Post to do a story. Bring your issue to national attention.

Spending $1 million on lawyer fees is like spitting in the wind. Find other ways to fight this because the current method is wasting our tax dollars.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  5:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Except he did stand up to them John...and he WON. Media experts? You would prefer they spend money on a media expert as opposed to legal expertise? I can only imagine the outcry once tax dollars go toward funding media experts. This doens't have to be a national issue for us to win. Media Experts, the media and public opinion for that matter have nothing to do with the outcome of this, it's a matter of federal law that is already written.

How about standing up for what is right? I'm glad we live in a city who isn't afraid to stand up for it's citizens. You want them to roll over and let big business have their way, on their terms...just because it's the way it's always been done around here. Let AK do whatever they want on whatever terms they want. It really doesn't seem to me as I drive through Middletown that AK has been all that great for the city...maybe I am missing something though.

There is no other way to fight this...except head on. I still ask you...how much potential tax revenue is in this corner of the city? Your the one concerned with every last dime...lets take a look at how much of the cities nest egg sits within the fallout zone of this coke plant?

The industrial revolution isn't happening a second time in the US..maybe a new kind of revolution needs to take place? A green one!
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  6:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I don't understand why you think Monroe Taxpayers can win this. You certainly are not getting the national media exposure that this guy is getting. Why not spend money with a media expert and get CNN and other medias down here to interview those who are negatively impacted. That would be money well spent. Get the Huffington Post to do a story. Bring your issue to national attention.

Spending $1 million on lawyer fees is like spitting in the wind. Find other ways to fight this because the current method is wasting our tax dollars.

John I agree that Monroe should solicit favorable coverage. But you seem to be missing the main legal issue. This suit is not going to be decided in the court of public or by media attention. Instead it will be decided in large part by a federal judge, based upon details of federal environmental law, and little else. It is thus a suit based on technical law, not one of popular opinion. Our history is full of actions by smaller entities that were successful in stopping environmental incursions.

In fact, my impression is that SunCoke and AK are encouraging these efforts to stop Monroe from continuing, BECAUSE Monroe has a sound legal strategy, and thus SunCoke faces a difficult court outcome. It encourages my view of things.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe certainly is not getting the national media exposure that this guy got. If you get a million people behind you, perhaps you can win. But instead you all push away those who question.

Monroe should have never entered this fight without proper planning including a comprehensive PR strategy. Sorry, we are not taking a large enough view of the problem. Instead we are running around half-kocked, not really putting the kind of thought into a project that could cost millions of Monroe taxpayers dollars.

I want council to stand up for all of its citizens, and not just the one's they happen to agree with. Is that too much to ask?

And please stop asking, "Why aren't they building?" That is so old.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  6:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom, saying, "Monroe has a sound legal strategy" doesn't make it so. Where are you getting your facts?

By the by, judges are greatly influenced by public opinion. Shall I start citing cases?

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  6:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I keep asking be why they haven't starting building because it's never been answered.

I know it's old, but still no answer.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  6:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Tom, saying, "Monroe has a sound legal strategy" doesn't make it so. Where are you getting your facts?

To the best of my knowledge, nobody outside of the council executive sessions, has that factual basis. But I discuss city issues with three members of council. While NONE have improperly shared confidential information, ALL state that they have a very solid case and I believe them. This is reinforced by all seven members, along with the city manager whose budget this comes out of, fully agreeing on the legal course taken. Just how often do eight politicians fully agree when there are reasonable grounds not to? Three council members just faced election, and four will in just two years. If they didn't have the law on their side, you can bet at least one would be seeking political cover. Thus I trust them to represent us reasonably. Don't you?

You state they won't win? What is your basis for that?
quote:

By the by, judges are greatly influenced by public opinion. Shall I start citing cases?

Please. Start citing cases, where federal judges ignored the law, and instead just went with public opinion. Those thankfully rare instances are easily and cheaply reversed on appeal. This will be a judges opinion, not a jury easily swayed by hype.

Were your view the case, nuclear power plants would have seen no limits at all through the mid-70's, then would have all been completely shut down after the Three Mile Island incident. The snail darter would have never shut down the Clinch River plant, and four forest firefighters would not have died because idiots would not allow rescuers get water to protect them from a lake, that possibly might have endangered fish in it. Huge regions would not be shut down due to their possibly having a snail, worm, or turtle in it. The law is generally followed, almost to the extreme.

You have asked people to stop saying it, but it remains a fact that if AK or SunCoke fully believed they would win, they would have continued construction of the plant. Not doing so costs them lots of money. Their greatest chance of winning probably lies in getting the population to believe Monroe shouldn't try to win this case.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  7:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

John, I have been personally involved in four lawsuits that went to court, representing Monroe and Butler Tech schools. Just as important, I participated in deciding that we should not proceed with several others, where while the district was right in its actions, we chose not to proceed because might not win, or the legal costs of winning exceeded their value.

I trust our council representatives to do exactly that, based on a legal strategy that obviously can't be shared with the public, for doing so immediately gives it to AK and SunCoke.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  7:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
Their greatest chance of winning probably lies in getting the population to believe Monroe shouldn't try to win this case.

quoted for truth
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 11/05/2009 :  7:26:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I don't understand what you mean.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
Their greatest chance of winning probably lies in getting the population to believe Monroe shouldn't try to win this case.

quoted for truth

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24