New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  09:43:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Per Emergency Resolution No. 02-2010. A Resolution amending Resolution No. 97-2009 to adjust the vacation schedule and establish an evaluation criteria for additional vacation leave, and declaring an emergency.

Establish an evaluation criteria? Really? I am surprised there isn't a standard criteria established for vacations in place at the city.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  09:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Resolution No. 05-2010 provides additional benefits to the City Employees. Doth the city taketh away and giveth back?

Resolution No. 05-2010. A Resolution authorizing the adoption of an additional benefit to be offered to full-time employees through New York Life.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]Per Emergency Resolution No. 02-2010. A Resolution amending Resolution No. 97-2009 to adjust the vacation schedule and establish an evaluation criteria for additional vacation leave, and declaring an emergency.

Establish an evaluation criteria? Really? I am surprised there isn't a standard criteria established for vacations in place at the city.

Full Story: http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=4854

Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]Per Emergency Resolution No. 02-2010. A Resolution amending Resolution No. 97-2009 to adjust the vacation schedule and establish an evaluation criteria for additional vacation leave, and declaring an emergency.

It appears they are amending the existing procedure and expanding it to include the mentioned. I would think the bargaining agreement where applicable would spell this out, but not all fall under that method. Almost all go by seniority and departments vs required manning workarounds.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Ugh. Here's the painful background information on this:
http://www.monroeohio.org/pdf/mayor_council/2005CouncilMinutes/12-8-091.pdf
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  10:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes, it started with health care. Originally they wanted to increase the amount the employess pay for healthcare. That was shot down.

As the city reviews it's employee benefits offerings, they are looking at things that I would have thought would have a long standing established standard. Like vacations. In our company, established 23 years ago by me, we offer 2 weeks vacation pay after 1 year of service. We offer a third week after 5 years service.

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  2:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I voted no on this. I do not believe we should award an extra week,s vacation to employees that are at the top end of the pay scale. We expect the employees to do the job and they expect to get paid for that work. We have, per Mr. Brock, 4 or 5 employees that have reached the top of there pay scale. One was hired in at the high end of the pay scale for that employees job.

We have two choices continue to pay them at their rate and hope they do not go some where else and leave the city. Or we can raise the pay scale/award time off etc to try to keep them.

In our current job market not too many employees will be jumping because they are not getting a pay raise this year or next (if that happens)

The core question I have is, if we have that many employees at the high end of the pay scale then we are not managing the raises very well or the pay scale is not reasonable. The council took the pay scale recommendations that the city manager brought to us and after working on them we adopted most of his recommendations.

Now we are being asked to give more to the employees as a reward for doing their best in 75 % of their job requirements and that is subjective at best. I really do not believe this is a smart use of our personal and money. We are setting a trend on employee compensation that is not a good idea.

I wish we could do more for all the city employees as we have some of the best people working here in the city. We on council(speaking for myself not for the others) try to reach a good balance on all of these issues.

John as for the additional request for new york life. This is not going to cost the city any more to offer this. The employees can carry insurance in addition to the cities offerings.

I will be glad to answer any questions on this or any other topic.

Tracy

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/25/2010 :  2:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Regarding Tracy's post, (and thanks for your response)

My uncle had the philosophy that attrition was good. It helped keep average pay down. I disagreed with him saying training costs were so high, we are better off with a proven employee.

We were both right. Attrition can be good and having some key employees around for a long time is good too. So Tracy, I agree with your no vote and logic.

As for New York Life benefit, it doesn't matter what it costs, only the benefit derived for being an employee of the city. If someone gave me enough pizzas for all my employees if I would distribute them equally, employees wouldn't care what I paid for the pizza. They would only care about if when they were getting their pizza.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City