New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2010 :  2:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Mr. Jason Frazier addressed the board about the all-day kindergarten program for the 2010-2011 school year. Mr. Frazier asked for clarification on the lottery system and the waiver to be submitted to the state. Mrs. Debbie Sander, Curriculum Director explained that there would be two all-day kindergarten classes for the 2010-2011 school year. All children will be attending all-day kindergarten for the 2011-2012 school year. Mr. Frazier feels that public education should be an equal opportunity for all children and that Monroe is not pursuing the right course of action by only allowing 44 students to attend all-day kindergarten next year.

Source: Monroe Local Schools Board Meeting Minutes Feb 22, 2010

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2010 :  2:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was surprised at the low number of all day kids for the upcoming school year.

Mr. Frazier raises a good point.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

The Schraders

349 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2010 :  5:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]Mr. Frazier feels that public education should be an equal opportunity for all children and that Monroe is not pursuing the right course of action by only allowing 44 students to attend all-day kindergarten next year.

I absolutely agree with this statement! My child will be going to Kindergarten next year and my preference is for the all day class. I will not be happy if our lucky lottery numbers are not chosen.

Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2010 :  6:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by The Schraders[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]Mr. Frazier feels that public education should be an equal opportunity for all children and that Monroe is not pursuing the right course of action by only allowing 44 students to attend all-day kindergarten next year.

I absolutely agree with this statement! My child will be going to Kindergarten next year and my preference is for the all day class. I will not be happy if our lucky lottery numbers are not chosen.

I am right with you Schrad..... it is sad that if we want our kid to get an all day spot that we have to worry about or number being pulled out of a hat. It should be madatory across the board for all kids!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2010 :  7:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Will they have open enrollment?
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang z

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/25/2010 :  8:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There is no open enrollment for kindergarten, open enrollment is for grades 9-12.
Go to Top of Page

lak713

USA
375 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/27/2010 :  10:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The School Board made the most economically sound decision possible for the district based on the budget/costs involved in converting the classrooms to all day. I attended that Board meeting and was relieved that they chose to move toward all day at all. Some districts are applying for waivers not to do it for another year. At least Monroe will be completely on board by 2011-2012 school year.

quote:
[br]I was surprised at the low number of all day kids for the upcoming school year.

Mr. Frazier raises a good point.

Go to Top of Page

dblbj

62 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/27/2010 :  11:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Open enrollment is also apparently "luck of the draw" as last year I do believe it was stated on this board, that there would be No 9th grade open enrollment students, due to lack of space. My daughter, who obtained OE papers on first day allowed, and turned back in...was informed her 9th grade student would not be allowed to attend MHS due to lack of space for that grade. She has since discovered that apparently 17 students were allowed in the OE for 9th grade. I do not have any idea where she obtained this info,,,,but I'm sure if it is incorrect?? She would be able to state who told her this. If 17 students in the 9th grade were allowed...would just be curious as to how they were determined to be eligible? My Senior Grandson, of course, will be graduating this year...so I guess our generations of Monroe High School Alumni shall end with him.
BJ
Go to Top of Page

cmcarney

296 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/28/2010 :  07:08:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I agree this is the wrong way to go about it. If my child was going to kindergarten this year I would be very upset. The full day kids will theoretically be better prepared for 1st grade giving them an advantage based on a lottery.
There should have been no all day kindergarten, if not everyone could go. Was full day every other day kindergarten considered? That's how we did it at my school, so the buses didn't run twice a day but you still only needed 1/2 the teachers.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang z

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/28/2010 :  10:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

All day kdg. is going to be costly. I think the board did the right thing. Come visit the trailers during foul weather. More kdg. means more in the mods.
Go to Top of Page

lak713

USA
375 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/28/2010 :  11:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

For years, many people felt that 1/2 day KDG was adequate preparation for 1st grade. In fact, many would still argue that it is still adequate and do NOT want all day KDG for their child.

Monroe Local schools is doing the best they can with the funds available to phase all day KDG in....especially with the space issues.

Our next step will be to pass a bond issue to build a new primary building so our children won't have to be out in those crumbling trailers.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmcarney[/i]
[br]I agree this is the wrong way to go about it. If my child was going to kindergarten this year I would be very upset. The full day kids will theoretically be better prepared for 1st grade giving them an advantage based on a lottery.
There should have been no all day kindergarten, if not everyone could go. Was full day every other day kindergarten considered? That's how we did it at my school, so the buses didn't run twice a day but you still only needed 1/2 the teachers.

Go to Top of Page

wifostarz

USA
5984 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/29/2010 :  1:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This is from the school's website. They will be accepting open enrollment for 9th grade:

The Monroe Board of Education will accept students in grades 9-12 living outside the Monroe Local School District for Open Enrollment for the school year 2010/2011. Applications will be available in the Monroe Local Schools Board Office beginning April 1, 2010 and continuing through May 28, 2010 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Applications must be picked up and returned in person. No application received by mail will be accepted. The Monroe Local Schools Board Office is located at 500 YANKEE ROAD.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by dblbj[/i]
[br]Open enrollment is also apparently "luck of the draw" as last year I do believe it was stated on this board, that there would be No 9th grade open enrollment students, due to lack of space. My daughter, who obtained OE papers on first day allowed, and turned back in...was informed her 9th grade student would not be allowed to attend MHS due to lack of space for that grade. She has since discovered that apparently 17 students were allowed in the OE for 9th grade. I do not have any idea where she obtained this info,,,,but I'm sure if it is incorrect?? She would be able to state who told her this. If 17 students in the 9th grade were allowed...would just be curious as to how they were determined to be eligible? My Senior Grandson, of course, will be graduating this year...so I guess our generations of Monroe High School Alumni shall end with him.
BJ

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24