New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  3:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here we go..................

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/suncoke-plant-construction-to-begin-638831.html

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  3:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

From the article:

SunCoke estimates that it will take about 500 construction workers to build the Coke facility. Construction will take 15-18 months to complete.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  3:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

SunCoke Community Advisory Panel CAP

Suncoke is in the process of contacting homeowners around the Middletown SunCoke plant site to form a community advisory panel.

Sunoco, parent company of SunCoke, has formed groups made up of community leaders, residents and a company employee to serve as a “two-way form of communication” on what is happening at the plant and to discuss community concerns.

Interviews and recommendations for the panel will continue throughout April and May with its first meeting planned for June.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  3:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Community Advisory Panels as defined by Sunoco:

A Community Advisory Panel (CAP) is a body that serves as a forum for ongoing dialogue between business and the neighboring community to identify local concerns and discuss possible solutions by:

Ensuring that the community has complete and understandable information regarding facility operations, including environmental, health and safety issues and performance;

Providing a two-way communication channel between the company and the community;
Encouraging active involvement by the company in issues and activities important to the community;
Identifying public concerns regarding local business plans and activities; and
Assisting in the development of responses to public concerns.

Here are com CAPs in place now:
Eagle Point Refinery
Marcus Hook Refinery
Philadelphia Refinery
Toledo Refinery
Tulsa Refinery
Frankford Plant
Haverhill Plant
Houston Operations
(Bayport & La Porte)
Neal Plant
Neville Island Plant

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Haverhill Plant CAP

The Haverhill (OH) Plant Community Advisory Panel is a joint effort between Sunoco and DuPont. The CAP consists of about twenty members and includes nearby residents, representatives from adjacent businesses, local emergency management agency officials, health care professionals, educators, high school students, and retirees. Additionally, twice a year the Haverhill CAP has a joint session with DOW Chemical CAP. The Haverhill plant manager, HES manager and HR manager represent Sunoco at the CAP and make presentations regarding plant operations and HES performance.

The Haverhill plant manager and environmental manager represent Sunoco at all CAP meetings and functions. CAP members developed an educational shelter-in-place program consisting of a video and handouts, which is presented to local governments, schools, area fire departments and at county fairs.

Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  3:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The problem with these panels is that you need to (or should) get folks that want to work together to solve problems that come up.
I can see the meetings being shouting matches where little gets done and both sides put up barriers to each other.

Now, hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/06/2010 :  4:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The New Source Review air permit SunCoke received from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency in February requires it to purchase of an extensive network of air monitors, including two particulate PM 10 monitors, four PM 2.5 monitors, one sulfur dioxide monitor and two Volatile Organic Compound monitors.

The monitors will be split between the two locations, with the sulfur dioxide monitor being placed at Amanda, said Dina Pierce, Ohio EPA spokeswoman.

Monitors will likely be placed on the roof of Amanda and fenced in on the ground at Yankee Properties. HCDOES wants to place the monitors by fall, but is required to have them sited six months before the plant is operational, said Anna Kelley of Hamilton County.

Source: Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer

Go to Top of Page

ozzee

USA
323 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  02:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The monitors are HIGHLY misleading. Statements at the public hearing and the permit allow for their operation 1 in 6 days, on a schedule that SunCoke is aware of.

Brent Osborn

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  05:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The air monitors are useless. They haven't changed a think in Haverhill and they have pretty much always been in violation. They were in violation for nearly all of 2009, and nothing has changed. The EPA isn't out to protect you.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  4:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Photo of SunCoke Construction Site taken earlier today

Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  6:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I don't think the the blue Lull was there yesterday...wait, just recieved conformation. Yes it was.
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  6:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Lull's are orange, that's a Gradall.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  6:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm a hillbilly. I call anything with four articulating wheels and a couple of forks a LULL. Just like anything that I can control from a basket thirty feet in the air a JLG.
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/07/2010 :  11:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Houndog[/i]
[br]I'm a hillbilly. I call anything with four articulating wheels and a couple of forks a LULL. Just like anything that I can control from a basket thirty feet in the air a JLG.

Just funnin ......
Go to Top of Page

MFD50
Average Member

USA
1141 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2010 :  12:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

John, you should have taken your picture north of the old farm house. They have installed the new underground conduit for electrical service and leveled the old parking lot to put in the foundation for the new office or parking area. Not sure which. They have also moved a lot of earth towards the back of the site and have been leveling off the area where the new ovens will sit. They have been working consistantly for the past couple of weeks.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2010 :  09:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I will get more photos and look to the north. Thanks for the heads up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City