Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Murdock

USA
37 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/22/2011 :  8:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My high school student came home today and informed us there would be no text book in their pre-calc math class because the school didn't have enough books to go around to all of the students!? Apparently the school has approx 70 books for 92 students.....WTF? This is the second time one of my kids didn't have a book assigned to them because the school didn't have enough....

quiet1

USA
310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/22/2011 :  9:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

mine told me the same thing...and then told me in another class they all will be using a school owned ipad....sure hope those were donated, since they could not afford to buy enough text books it would really tick me off if they paid for ipads....
Go to Top of Page

loveyourneighbor

USA
590 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/22/2011 :  9:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I believe the Middletown Community Foundation donated the ipads
Go to Top of Page

quiet1

USA
310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/22/2011 :  9:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

that is good news, too bad someone couldn't donate enough money for textbooks too...
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/22/2011 :  10:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'll pay for a book. If we find 21 more donors they'll have their 22 books.....

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  12:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Nothing unusual for MLS, every year they are short of something, couple years ago it was lockers.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Murdock[/i]
[br]My high school student came home today and informed us there would be no text book in their pre-calc math class because the school didn't have enough books to go around to all of the students!? Apparently the school has approx 70 books for 92 students.....WTF? This is the second time one of my kids didn't have a book assigned to them because the school didn't have enough....

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  05:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My youngest informed me that there isn't enough paper for then te get handouts they need for class.

This is my whole point about open enrollment. If it is a great as the school disatrict claims why are we short on required items?
Go to Top of Page

zapp2525

696 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  07:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

What a fn joke.
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  07:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

User Name: Murdock

Do you still live in Middletown?
Go to Top of Page

2015hornetsMOM
Average Member

USA
1179 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  08:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

They need to put all the forms they send home on the computer. That would save a ton of paper. I fill the same thing out year after year, times 2!
quote:
[i]Originally posted by retiredmilitary[/i]
[br]My youngest informed me that there isn't enough paper for then te get handouts they need for class.

This is my whole point about open enrollment. If it is a great as the school disatrict claims why are we short on required items?

Go to Top of Page

Animal1993

178 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Animal1993's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
[br]I'll pay for a book. If we find 21 more donors they'll have their 22 books.....

I'm not sure how much a book costs, but I would be willing to at least contribute to the cost of a book. (And I don't even have kids at the high school--my DD just started first grade!). Or, why couldn't some of the parents volunteer their time to make copies of the chapter(s) being studied each week? I went to Lakota (class of '93), and there were many times that we shared books during class, and took worksheets home to study and complete homework from.

www.feathernoodles.com
www.pamperedchef.biz/angelasullivan
Go to Top of Page

loveyourneighbor

USA
590 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  11:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Can't copy because they have no paper either! That amazes me.

But why don't we start a campaign on MSM to buy the additional books? Anyone know of a contact at the school in charge of buying the textbooks who could tell us cost and help coordinate?
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by loveyourneighbor[/i]
[br]Can't copy because they have no paper either! That amazes me.

But why don't we start a campaign on MSM to buy the additional books? Anyone know of a contact at the school in charge of buying the textbooks who could tell us cost and help coordinate?

I donate all kinds of items to my kid's classroom. I'd be willing to make a donation to buy a HS book.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  2:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Maybe I ought to make the book scholarships for kids graduating into high school instead of college. nlol

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Murdock

USA
37 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  9:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]User Name: Murdock

Just a Middletown mailing address in the Monroe School district
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  9:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I don't understand this either. My daughter (7th grade) has classes with the same problem. She can't bring a text book home to study because they don't have enough. For a math workboook, they've photocopied a bunch of pages and had her put them in a 3-ring binder! I don't think that's even legal - especially when EVERY PAGE is marked "DO NOT PHOTOCOPY."

Our question is - we're paying book rental fees. Where are they going if there's not enough books to go around AND they are mostly older books?

WIW - I have a Middletown address as well - 45044 - but live in Monroe (Applegate). No issue there.
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  9:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by 2015hornetsMOM[/i]
[br]They need to put all the forms they send home on the computer. That would save a ton of paper. I fill the same thing out year after year, times 2!

My wife was just saying the same thing last night. No reason why these forms couldn't be PDF forms that you could simply update from year to year and save.

I'm even willing to set them up for them. Not that difficult - just time.
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  10:28:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Murdock[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]User Name: Murdock

Just a Middletown mailing address in the Monroe School district

Same here I have a Middletown mailing address. So maybe you should change that huh!

User Name: buck35
Location: Munroe, oHIo or Peyton Place (this was just added) LOL
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/23/2011 :  10:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by itbedave

WIW - I have a Middletown address as well - 45044 - but live in Monroe (Applegate). No issue there.

User Name: itbedave

Yet you state that you live here right?
Why would you list your mailing address?
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  12:03:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I would be happy to donate toward text books... or bring in some paper, whatever is needed...

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

drs_1827

USA
691 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  1:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My vote would be to buy a classroom set and then make a webpage that allows students to access the online version of the book. Aren't we looking at 21st century skills? Moving all snow days to online? Cutting cost? Paper reduction? Just food for thought...still face to face instruction using technology in a way that serves every student.

I see the frustration, but buying more text books is not the answer. In addition to that the online versions of these books are called Flex books and they are updated yearly. As the update is made, it filters out to all users.
Go to Top of Page

Animal1993

178 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  1:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Animal1993's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by drs_1827[/i]
[br]My vote would be to buy a classroom set and then make a webpage that allows students to access the online version of the book. Aren't we looking at 21st century skills? Moving all snow days to online? Cutting cost? Paper reduction? Just food for thought...still face to face instruction using technology in a way that serves every student.

I see the frustration, but buying more text books is not the answer. In addition to that the online versions of these books are called Flex books and they are updated yearly. As the update is made, it filters out to all users.

I wholeheartedly agree with this entire post!

www.feathernoodles.com
www.pamperedchef.biz/angelasullivan
Go to Top of Page

drs_1827

USA
691 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  1:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks! In addition, everychild that has an ipad, smartphone or a parent that has one can allow the child to access this content from anywhere. This would mean bringing the education to the student...in a way they are already interfacing with information.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  1:40:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Beagle: I understand we have a shortage of paper and textbooks. Any comment on that situation?

Lolli: Books were not ordered on the high school’s end. Once we got the numbers of needed books, yesterday, they were ordered.

There is not a paper shortage, we requested that teachers conserve as much as possible as we did last year. Two sided copies, not running unneeded copies, etc.

Full story: Lolli: No Book Shortage at Monroe Local Schools
Go to Top of Page

loveyourneighbor

USA
590 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  2:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I heard straight from a teacher's mouth that there was not enough paper and they weren't allowed to make copies.
Go to Top of Page

nestlechick

USA
110 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  4:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Send nestlechick an AOL message  Send nestlechick a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Found out the geometry class has the same issue...not enough books.

My son was one of those who did not receive a book - but was assigned homework. Needless to say, the grades of those without the books were less than those who had access to books.

Behind every successful man is a surprised mother in law
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  6:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Guess I should ask her about the Jr. high too... and photocopying pages and pages of workbooks that clearly aren't suppose to be photocopied.
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:

Am I the only one that has no idea what Buck's point is???
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  8:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

BTW - as my daughter explained to me in most of her Jr. high classes, they have enough books for everyone in the class, but only for the classroom. NOT enough for everyone to have their own and take them home to study or anything. So, they may have 30 books for a classroom, but those 30 are used by ALL students in ALL sections of that class.

I have a message into the principal about these issues.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  9:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Buck35
Don't you think you're being a little bit creepy?

quote:
[br]
quote:

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/24/2011 :  10:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]Buck35
Don't you think you're being a little bit creepy?

quote:
[br]
quote:

John no just showing things. I must be on your HIT list! I guess I'll be the next one ban from the Voice! What's wrong can't take the HEAT?
Go to Top of Page

Di Ogenes

144 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/26/2011 :  5:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was told Dr. Lolli prohibts the use of a literature text in Jr. High. Can this possibly be correct?
-Di
Go to Top of Page

mebell

15 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/28/2011 :  7:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You don't need a literature text the way the teach language arts now. My daughter said the teacher levels kids according to their reading level. They get to pick their own book from a classroom library. After the teacher teaches the lesson, each student uses their own book to finish the assignment. That way everyone in class works at their own level.
Go to Top of Page

wifostarz

USA
5984 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/29/2011 :  08:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This is correct. They use the kids' lexile numbers.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by mebell[/i]
[br]You don't need a literature text the way the teach language arts now. My daughter said the teacher levels kids according to their reading level. They get to pick their own book from a classroom library. After the teacher teaches the lesson, each student uses their own book to finish the assignment. That way everyone in class works at their own level.

Go to Top of Page

Viking

USA
155 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 08/29/2011 :  08:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]You don't need a literature text the way the teach language arts now. My daughter said the teacher levels kids according to their reading level. They get to pick their own book from a classroom library. After the teacher teaches the lesson, each student uses their own book to finish the assignment. That way everyone in class works at their own level.

Aren't there different levels of classes any more? Like regular English, CP, AP or IB, etc? This no curriculum setup and everyone picking out their own booked based on level sounds more like the no child left behind madness.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/20/2011 :  10:01:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

After reviewing some threads that were going off the 30 day list, I saw this one.

Was this more writing on the wall about the financial state of our school district?

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/20/2011 :  12:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I sure hope not. I hope the books had not arrived yet is all.
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/20/2011 :  12:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Viking[/i]
[br]
quote:

Aren't there different levels of classes any more? Like regular English, CP, AP or IB, etc? This no curriculum setup and everyone picking out their own booked based on level sounds more like the no child left behind madness.

There are levels of classes. Even when you separate kids into different levels of classes though, they still have sub-levels within those classrooms. I actually really like the way they do the Language Arts these days. It gives the kids power to excel without the rest of the classmates having an effect. Mine is in AP and loves the fact that he has the choice in some of his reading(they are still required to read some classics as a class).
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/20/2011 :  12:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]After reviewing some threads that were going off the 30 day list, I saw this one.

Was this more writing on the wall about the financial state of our school district?

Nope, not at all. Books just weren't ordered on time to be here at the beginning of the school year.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/22/2011 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Flashback July 22, 2011: Monroe Local Schools needs to borrow approximately $1.4 Million to make payroll among other expenses according to Superintendent Libbie Lolli.

Don't we usually order textbooks in July for the upcoming school year?

Your probably right, this is just a coincidence that we ran out of money and school books were ordered late.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by sportsnut[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]After reviewing some threads that were going off the 30 day list, I saw this one.

Nope, not at all. Books just weren't ordered on time to be here at the beginning of the school year.

Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/22/2011 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

JMO mind you but...
I read an article in the paper about double dipping school officials in the state and Lolli was on the list...retired with full pension and then hired full time again.
I know this is legal and I am sure she chose the profession because of a love of education and children but....

Seems to me, if education is your passion...
Rather than have the already strapped taxpayers (those with and without children in school) scramble to sponsor books, papers, supplies, another tax levy, etc...a slight pay cut through the hard times would be a generous donation (designated strictly for those things) both honorable and appreciated.

I know double dipping is legal BUT really? When cuts have to be made and children are not getting the education they deserve and need because books are not available to all or paper for copies is not available - it seems like one person stepping up and setting an example for others to emulate would be the positive example children so need in order to respect and look up to authority....

again...just my opinion..
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise