New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/26/2011 :  8:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Currently there are 21 Ohio school districts in fiscal caution. After October 1, Monroe will also be in "Fiscal Caution."

A FC may be declared if ODE determines through the 5 year forecast that conditions exist that could result in a future declaration of fiscal watch or emergency.

Additional facts, figures and video will be put up tomorrow.

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  09:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Read all about ODE Fiscal Caution guidelines here:

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?page=3&TopicRelationID=1012&ContentID=1020&Content=103459
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  10:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Bill Deters, Monroe Local Schools Legal Council asks the question, where did we go awry?

This was in regards to MLS being told by Roger Hardin that the school district is going into Fiscal Caution.

Next Video: Dean Horton Reviews FY 2012 and 2013
"$1.35 Million expended improperly out of Bond Retirement Fund that should have come out of the General Fund." - Dean Horton,Ohio Department of Education, Fiscal Consultant

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  12:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dean Horton,Ohio Department of Education, Fiscal Consultant reviews 2012 and 2013 forecasts. Both result in negative general fund balances. In 2012, Dean is forcasting Monroe Local Schools to spend $491K more than than revenues. By 2013 the forcast is $766K more spending than revenues.

In addition there is more bad news. $1.35 Million was 'misposted' in the 'Bond Retirement Fund" that should have been posted to the General Fund.

Here is a shared spreadsheet link that goes with the above presentation: Monroe Local -SM5 Source: Ken Ulm

Next Video: Fiscal Caution, Warning & Emergency Explained. Which will be next for Monroe Local Schools?
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  1:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Fiscal Caution will become effective for Monroe School District on October 1, 2011.

-Source: Roger Hardin
Go to Top of Page

sunflower23

USA
376 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  2:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I would like to thank John Beagle for providing the info and video of the board meeting.What is distressful is the Middletown Journal's lack of coverage.The newspaper is still an important outlet for news but this newspaper is obviously derilict in its duties,though I would not find it surprising that the Monroe administration still has not released a press release.The public has a right to know!
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  6:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tomorrow I will post these vids:

Fiscal Caution, Watch and Emergency Explained by Roger Hardin
Roger Hardin, Ohio Department of Education, explains the difference in the plans to assist Ohio public schools back to fiscal stability.

Board Response to Fiscal Caution
Bret Guido responds to MLS being put into Fiscal Caution
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  8:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Has Munroe passed a levy in last couple of years?
Have the teachers had raise in the last few yew years?
Has the Governor Ohio cut funding to to the schools systems and to the cities of oHIo?
What has he done to bring jobs to oHIo?
We are known as the rust bucket state and things aren't going to change so deal with it!
Vote against SB5 or we all will suffer!
Believe it!
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  9:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

has anyone resigned yet? Who is accountible for this problem?

Did this come as a surprise or did everyone on the Board know about it but just didn't see a need to tell anyone about it?
Did the past Treasurer make mistakes that should have been caught by someone?
Does the school system need an audit committee like the City has?
I love the term Fiscal Caution............just another politically correct way of saying that they spent more than they took in. Seems to be an ongoing problem (very similar to the City).....

So, what's the plan to resolve the FC??? Has to be a levy. We'll hear all the talking points like they just can't function with all the State budget cuts and the ever increasing unfunded mandates.

I just have a problem supporting a levy for an organization that apparently is out of fiscal control right now.

And, where's the Middletown Journal on this story. You'd think they would jump at a chance to report on Monroe regarding this type of negative issue.........

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/27/2011 :  9:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

No the Governor is still in office!
Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  05:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So the school being in fiscal emergency is directly because of the governor?

Not because they can't find oops sorry account for over $400,000?

And not because they spend more than they take in?

Can someone please answer these questions.
Go to Top of Page

Mike_Irwin

571 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  06:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Buck you asked,
    "Has Munroe passed a levy in last couple of years? YES 2009
    Have the teachers had raise in the last few yew years? YES"

My concern is not as focused on the current year negative of almost $ 400,000 USD. Rather, it is the mis-use of the $1,400,000 USD (that is 1.4 million dollars) of Bond Fund money for General Fund expenditures. Now that is some SERIOUS MONEY that needs to be repaid to the Bond fund from the school (tax payers).

Hopefully the Butler County auditor will allow the school many years to re-pay the money back from the General Fund to the Bond Fund; rather than pay it over one or two years.

MRI
Go to Top of Page

linette

593 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  08:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe hires new treasurer; state gives district fiscal designation

MONROE — The Monroe Local School District has found its next treasurer.

Holly Cahall, the current treasurer of Wilmington City Schools, accepted the school board’s offer on Monday night to become Monroe’s new treasurer.

Her official start date is Nov. 1.

“I’m really looking forward to it,” Cahall, 53, said. “It’s a really good district with good leadership. If I didn’t have faith in them, I wouldn’t be coming. It’s a good district to be a part of.”

Cahall’s hiring came on the same night it was announced the state placed the school district under fiscal caution, said board President Mike Lane.

Fiscal caution is one of the designations the Ohio Department of Education applies to school districts with actual or projected fiscal deficits that trigger corrective assistance procedures, according to its website.

Cahall, whose salary will be $82,000, has been at Wilmington since 2006. Prior to that, Cahall — a CPA since 2000 — spent six years as treasurer of the Williamsburg Local School District and four years working in the state auditor’s office.

“I enjoy being a school treasurer,” Cahall said. “I enjoy working with the numbers and the impact you can have. You are impacting the students’ education, and helping the people that work there and making things easy for them. ... Everybody benefits — the community and the students.”

Ken Ulm, the BCESC treasurer, is currently serving as Monroe’s interim treasurer. He took over Aug. 1 for Kelley Thorpe, who left to become treasurer at Middletown City Schools.

Cahall was one of three finalists who received a second interview on Sept. 21, and then the only finalist who was brought back for a third interview on Saturday.

“She brings a lot of experience to the table,” Lane said. “She’s energetic and very knowledgeable of the field.”

While Cahall was at Williamsburg, she helped the school district recover from its fiscal watch status.

“She understands what it takes to move a district forward in their finances,” said Dan Hare, the superintendent of the Butler County Educational Service Center who facilitated the search for Monroe. “Being a treasurer is more than just counting the money. It’s working with the administration on a plan to spend the money to attain your mission and vision. She’s very good in her accounting skills and fiscal planning.”

Cahall, who lives in Mount Orab, is married to Grant, and they have two sons: Dylan, 26, and Ben, 22.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/monroe-hires-new-treasurer-state-gives-district-fiscal-designation-1260459.html
Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  08:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Bretland, I love the questions you've raised!

I would love to know if anyone has resigned as of yet or who is responsible for the missing and misallocated money

Did the board know about this? Surely SOMEbody knew this.
The past treasurer clearly made mistakes that SOMEONE should have caught!!! If the school district didn't have something that basic in place.... well, let's just hope they did.
"Does the school system need an audit committee like the City has?" YES, I would be SHOCKED to hear if they don't have this in place aleady.
I too have an issue voting in another levy for a district who allowed money to be misallocated and who can not account for hundreds of thousands of dollars. A plan should have been in place aleady, to come to voters and ask for money is one thing, to come after misallocating and missing money is another. I just hope the new treasure has solutions!
I just have to laugh at the Middletown Journal comments, it's one of the worst papers I've ever read. We will certainly be watching for updates on this story!
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

"About a month ago we received a call with questions about your finances. So its our protocol to first come in and do a financial analysis of the district. " Roger Hardin, Ohio Department of Education Finance Program Services.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  09:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

School Board Member and official spokesperson on this issue, Bret Guido responds to MLS being put into Fiscal Caution.
Go to Top of Page

Paul

USA
432 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  10:15:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Paul an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How and when was this deficit discovered and by whom? By the past treasurer who left for Middletown? By the interim treasurer that just got replaced? How was this not seen?

Thanks
Paul
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  11:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Kelley Thorpe's Forecast was bad enough.

However Dean Horton's revised and corrected forecast is much, much worse.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  11:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I believe the $1.35 Million shortfall was found by the interim treasurer. He alerted ODE and their audit confirmed the error in posting.

It was not seen because the Employee Retirement account is one of the largest expense accounts, Employees' Retirement/Insurance Benefits 18%

Source

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Paul[/i]
[br]How and when was this deficit discovered and by whom? By the past treasurer who left for Middletown? By the interim treasurer that just got replaced? How was this not seen?

Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  11:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe Local School Substitute Levy is Not a Tax Increase
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:50:55 AM - Monroe Ohio

Source: Monroe Local Schools Website

The Board of Education and the administration have been working on school finance information since last summer in a variety of open board meetings. Each time that the financial forecast was discussed, Mrs. Thorpe indicated the need for money after December 2009.

The next two years are critical for the Monroe Local School District. All three of our emergency levies are up for renewal beginning as early as this year.

In December 2009, a $1.5 million dollar emergency levy will be terminated unless it is renewed. It is imperative that the district keep this funding source.

What is a Substitute Levy?
The district will likely be placing a “Substitute Levy” on the ballot this calendar year. What exactly is a substitute levy? This type of levy is new to Ohio. A district can substitute or exchange an emergency levy renewal with a substitute levy. The substitute levy is identical to the original emergency levy with one exception – as new valuation growth is seen in the district by new industry or housing, the additional value is added to the original value of the levy without raising taxes for existing homeowners.

A substitute levy keeps the taxes as they are today for current homeowners as if the original emergency levy was simply renewed. That means this levy when passed will NOT cost you anymore than it does today.

In summary, the current emergency levy will be exchanged for a substitute levy without any additional taxes for current home and business owners. New homes or businesses built in the district will be taxed at the same rate as the current owners and the district will be able to see additional revenue from the new growth only! The current emergency levy will end in Dec. 2009 and the new substitute levy will begin in 2010.

Not a new Tax
The new levy will not cost you any more money – no new taxes.

http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/view_news.asp?nId=4082
Go to Top of Page

buck35

5544 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  11:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

By Denise Wilson, Staff Writer 11:46 PM Monday, October 18, 2010

MONROE — Monroe Local Schools Board of Education voted unanimously to ratify a contract Monday, Oct. 18, which freezes salaries and benefits through June 30, 2011.

The board met during a special meeting and ratified the agreement by a 5-0 vote, said Superintendent Elizabeth Lolli.

The district’s teachers union – the Monroe Education Association — also unanimously approved the contract agreement last week averting a strike.

Lolli said a joint committee — consisting of the union and administration — will be set up this spring to study teachers salary indexes and the financial condition of the district. The committee will include two board members, two teachers from each school building, three administrators, Lolli and a MEA representative.

“We’ll know about the substitute levy by January when the committee starts. The committee will meet once a week in January, February and March,” she said.

“Most importantly, we want see actually what our finances will be. How much we actually going to bring in from that substitute levy and we will make some kind of determination on what we can actually sustain as a district.”

District voters approved a 9.71-mill substitute continuous levy on the November 2009 ballot for operating expenses. The levy will raise more than $3.5 million for operating expenses and replace three levies set to expire in 2010 and 2011.

The contract agreement also calls for the district to set up joint meetings with the MEA and the administration to talk about the healthcare plans, Lolli said.

“Right now, we have one healthcare plan that offers three choices and most of our teachers take the most expensive choice, which they really probably don’t need,” she said.

“The MEA has agreed to work with Kelley Thorpe — the district treasurer — and meet with the teachers and talk to the teachers, and help them fill out the work sheet that shows them unless they need gastric bypass surgery, fertility treatments or some specialize drugs, the other plan is exactly the same plan. Its cost much less for them to pay their share and it cost less for the school district to pay our share.”

Contract negotiations are scheduled to resume this spring before the current two-year contract expires June 30, 2011, she said.

Mike Lane, board president, said he thinks the agreement is a good deal especially during these struggling economic times.

“You can’t ask people for something they don’t have,” he said.

“The district doesn’t have it, we’re not real well off financially and we can’t go back to the people for a tax levy when people need jobs and everything.”

http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/voice/topic.asp?topic_id=20958
Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  12:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Buck correct in 2010 the took a pay freeze so in 2009 the got one I remember them sending kids home to write letters to post in the paper why the levy should pass. Even teachers wearing T-shirts at school.

Just because a levy doesn't raise property axes doesn't mean they didn't get more money.

How about moving I believe it was 2mil last year to the I think it is called the permenent structure fund. That could raise property taxes without a public vote.

So no to any new levy until they have fiscal responsibility!
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  3:42:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If I remember right the teachers still get their step raises but will not get COLA on top of the step raise. So once again a little misinformation huh? Many are get NO raises and many more will get pay cuts. So the teachers have no problems getting rich off of the backs of the poor in the community.
Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bobpreston[/i]
[br]... So the teachers have no problems getting rich off of the backs of the poor in the community.

What is the Bob Preston definition of "Rich"? Try to give a real answer with something specific instead of the usual name slinging rant.

How much income makes a person "rich"?

Under NCLB - Jacque Cousteau did not have enough education to teach your child Marine Biology
Go to Top of Page

mebell

15 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Bob - since our community is so poor, would you finally shut up if the teachers work for free???? They deserve every penny they earn! The teachers my children have had over the years put their heart and soul into our children EVERY day!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Todd

USA
312 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/28/2011 :  10:28:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here is an old article Buck.

"the district decided to use its own money — cash the district is sitting on and does not need at this time"

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/school-district-to-buy-berns-property-for-all-day-kindergarten-448521.html?cxtype=rss_local-news
Go to Top of Page

steelhawk
Starting Member

3 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The ironic thing is that the past treasure made a mistake here then goes and gets hired in Middletown making $15,000 more. Why doesn't administration check backgrounds more carefully?
Go to Top of Page

linette

593 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/29/2011 :  07:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Fiscal caution designation puts school district in financial hole

MONROE — The Monroe Local School District has been placed under fiscal caution by the Ohio Department of Education.

The ODE, which told the district of the designation this week, said it typically takes four years to recover from the fiscal caution status.

The status will come into effect on Saturday, and going forward, the district has 30 to 60 days to develop a plan and report back to the ODE on how it will resolve the issue.

“I’s no one’s problem but ours,” Ken Ulm, the district’s interim treasurer said. “No one is going to hand us a checkbook to get us out of this. It’s our problem to fix it. There’s no new money coming in.”

Ulm said the issue was an “oversight” by former Treasuer Kelley Thorpe, who has since taken a job with Middletown City Schools.

Ulm took over as the interim treasurer after Thorpe left. Ulm, the Butler County Educational Service Center treasurer, was asked to come in and help with the day-to-day operations as well as the new treasurer search.

Ulm said he noticed there were some expenses from the previous fiscal year that needed to be paid. The district then took out a $1.4 million loan from Fifth Third Bank in order to meet those obligations, while completely revamping its five-year forecast.

The district had to carry forward debt — “$300,000 to $400,000,” Ulm said — from the previous year and it has until June 30, 2012, to pay back the loan. The result is an estimated $1.5 million deficit at the end of this fiscal year. Ulm reported the findings to the ODE and the ODE confirmed them.

Ulm said the school board will “throw everything on the table in order to get the budget back in line with revenues.”

That includes looking at personnel — 75 percent of the budget is made up of salaries and benefits — reducing or rerouting busing, shared services, service contracts and other potential expenditure reductions.

Monroe’s general fund budget is about $19 million, Ulm said.

“It’s important to remember what got us here and it’s important to figure out how to get out of this,” said school board member Brett Guido, the spokesperson for the board on this issue. “We have a school (district) to run and 2,000 kids depend on it. We don’t want to downplay the importance of what’s going to happen. We’re putting a plan in place.”

The Monroe board this week approved the hiring of Holly Cahall as the school’s new treasurer. She begins her position on Nov. 1.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/fiscal-caution-designation-puts-school-district-in-financial-hole-1260963.html
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/01/2011 :  12:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I appologize for the length, but wifeofbrowns fan has several good questions that deserve full answers.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by wifeofbrownsfan[/i]
[br]I would love to know if anyone has resigned as of yet or who is responsible for the missing and misallocated money.

The shortfall was found in an unscheduled audit, ordered by the board just AFTER the treasurer resigned in July. There is no ambiguity here. Under Ohio Revised Code, the district treasurer is responsible to ensure that district funds are properly allocated and reported. The school board is responsible to hire, manage and evaluate, and if necessary to replace the superintendent and treasurer, and to set policy and expectations/goals for the district.
quote:

Did the board know about this? Surely SOMEbody knew this.

I don’t have complete information on this situation (does anyone?), as I left the board two years ago. But from everything I have been able to find out, nobody in the district knew of the problem until just after the former treasurer resigned in July to become treasurer of Middletown Schools. It was discovered by the temporary treasurer.
quote:

The past treasurer clearly made mistakes that SOMEONE should have caught!!! If the school district didn't have something that basic in place.... well, let's just hope they did.

Reading between the lines of Monday's presentation, it appears that money was shifted from the Bond fund to fill shortfalls in general revenue accounts. This is a much bigger issue than many realize. Under Ohio Revised Code, unapproved spending of these funds is a felony, even if the money was spent on school district activities.
This aspect will be determined by the specific ballot language of our 2002 bond election, and if the spending fits within this language. It is just too early in the process to even guess how this will turn out.

Should the board have seen this? While in retrospect one would think Hellen Keller would have caught this, if it happened as I now believe, the intentional misallocation of bond funds, it would be the action least likely to be found by the board. In times like now, when the district has no construction or large projects, the bond fund does not receive a lot of attention. And it is not the board that determines the fund’s balance. Annually, the county auditor changes is effective tax rate, based upon projections of spending, taxes to be collected, and interest rates. So the fund’s balance goes up and down over time, even if the district and board has done nothing to change it. Board members see it go up and down over time and get used to it. I fear that it was a weakness intentionally exploited.

There as one other weakness, and I don’t know how to fix it. A clear vunerability was our board’s lack of experience. Schools are complicated and it takes time, years really, to master being a board member. Of our board's five members, three (Stone, Guido, and MacDonald) were newly elected just two years ago. Board President Mike Lane has not yet completed a full term. It would have been quite difficult for any of them to discover a well thought out, well hidden, intentional misallocation of funding.

Why do we have such board turnover? Earlier this year, before deciding to seek election to the board again, I tried to convince three outstanding Monroe residents to run for the board. None would even consider doing so, with all saying it is a critical role, but they were not willing to subject themselves and especially their families to what this community does to its elected representatives. A healthy board needs a mix of experienced members who have been there and done that, and new blood, to bring about healthy change. We have had great board members. They just don't stay.

The new members of our board are all great people, and will be outstanding board members with more experience. I hope they stay longer than a single term.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

gohornets73

160 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/01/2011 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom B[/i]

Why do we have such board turnover? Earlier this year, before deciding to seek election to the board again, I tried to convince three outstanding Monroe residents to run for the board. None would even consider doing so, with all saying it is a critical role, but they were not willing to subject themselves and especially their families to what this community does to its elected representatives.

I couldn't agree more.
Go to Top of Page

Kryttos82

USA
206 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/02/2011 :  5:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Kryttos82 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If you make everyone happy all the time, you arent doing your job correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by buck35[/i]
[br]
Monroe Local School Substitute Levy is Not a Tax Increase
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 9:50:55 AM - Monroe Ohio

Source: Monroe Local Schools Website

The Board of Education and the administration have been working on school finance information since last summer in a variety of open board meetings. Each time that the financial forecast was discussed, Mrs. Thorpe indicated the need for money after December 2009.

The next two years are critical for the Monroe Local School District. All three of our emergency levies are up for renewal beginning as early as this year.

In December 2009, a $1.5 million dollar emergency levy will be terminated unless it is renewed. It is imperative that the district keep this funding source.

So a Yes vote on this meant taxes stayed the same.

A No vote on this meant taxes went down because the levy terminated.

Thus, Yes = higher taxes than No. That may not be a "tax increase" in the literal sense of the phrase, but Yes was higher than No. I love how they always lawyer that up. "It won't raise your taxes...." Yeah, but a No would lower them. Its an insulting way to push a levy.

BTW, I voted Yes, fully accepting the higher tax rate. But not because of the ridiculous argument presented by the school. I vote for 100% of the levies that directly impact me locally: schools, animal shelters, elderly, mentally impaired kids, etc. I don't mind tax dollars going to my community. Wasting them in Washington is another issue altogether.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Some representatives would rather we not pay attention to what is going on, not question authority, not listen to others.

Tom, isn't it true in any city that people say bad things about representatives? Do you follow other elections in the area? Have you paid attention to Middletown and Trenton's elections? Have you heard what they say about George Bush and now Barrak Obama?

People have a right to question their 'elected ones.' Your statement is one that says people shouldn't speak their minds. People should be good little citizens and agree with everything that is going on.

Well I have to disagree. People are the only check and balance on government.

"What this community does to its elected representatives." How do you get such an opinion Tom?

If you are referring to posters on this site (and I know you are), let me ask you a question, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way.

What would you do if you saw a problem like an elected official violating the city charter ? Keep it a secret?

What would you do if you saw financial problems on the horizon? Not do anything about it?

Do people no have the right to question, enlighten, and express opinion?

quote:
[i]Originally posted by gohornets73[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom B[/i]

Why do we have such board turnover? Earlier this year, before deciding to seek election to the board again, I tried to convince three outstanding Monroe residents to run for the board. None would even consider doing so, with all saying it is a critical role, but they were not willing to subject themselves and especially their families to what this community does to its elected representatives.

I couldn't agree more.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/03/2011 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

In a post above I wrote:

"Why do we have such board turnover? Earlier this year, before deciding to seek election to the board again, I tried to convince three outstanding Monroe residents to run for the board. None would even consider doing so, with all saying it is a critical role, but they were not willing to subject themselves and especially their families to what this community does to its elected representatives. A healthy board needs a mix of experienced members who have been there and done that, and new blood, to bring about healthy change. "

John Beagle appears to have read that as my saying people should not have a viewpoint, speak out, or have expectations of their elected officials.

John, would you please reconcile your belief that I don't want the citizens to speak out, with my spending thousands of hours answering questions right on this forum? More than any other elected official in Monroe, I have invited people's comment about me and the district.

How you make that great leap is beyond me. There is not a single word in there suggesting that people should not have the right to speak out, disagree, take opposing positions. But one can do all these things and still be civil. Far too often that does not happen. But if you think that is all that happened, you need to run for office and experience it from this side. On this forum I have been called a liar more times than I can Imagine. My house has been egged twice, and my car keyed once. Is that is your idea of how our citizens should speak out?

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/03/2011 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I cannot imagine anyone wanting to be a councilman, school board member, etc. Its a lot of work for no money and tons of aggravation.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/04/2011 :  09:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I agree. That's why so few people run.

I guess some people feel its their civic duty to do something important for the community. While others have political aspirations.

So the board has the difficult position to reduce expenses and seek new money. No easy job. I don't blame anyone on the current board for what is now happening.

If MLS doesn't cut enough then the state will put Monroe in Fiscal Emergency. In FE contracts will be broken and people will be laid off, more if the levy fails.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dannyboy[/i]
[br]I cannot imagine anyone wanting to be a councilman, school board member, etc. Its a lot of work for no money and tons of aggravation.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City