The Voice
 Monroe Observer is returning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suzi Rubin

408 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/16/2007 :  11:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzi Rubin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The Monroe Observer is making a comeback as a monthly newspaper beginning April 1. My goal with this paper is to keep the community informed of things that are going on in the city, including the schools, clubs and organizations, churches and businesses. Much of this information does not have a wide enough interest to be published in the regional dailies, but I know that the community is very interested in local stories.

I want this to be a paper not just about the community, but BY the community. I welcome all contributions, including ones written by our students.

The companion website is meant to be a repository of ideas and stories along the same lines. My hope is that the community will use this to stay up-to-date with events during the month and to organize volunteer efforts.

I am posting this invite on the Voice so that some of our more techie residents can start posting, but the newspaper will be the first real announcement of the site on April 1. Until then, Ill be adding new features and people will be experimenting.

Here are the steps:

Registering:
Go to www.monroeobserver.com
Register (needs only username, email)
An email will be sent to your email account with a link to confirm registration. You can then select a password.

Posting a story:
To post a story, click on create content.
Under the categories menu on the form, there are specific tags for the article (elementary, sports, etc.). You can select more than one category (i.e. High school and sports)
Click submit and the story is posted.
All users can edit their own posts or delete them so dont worry about experimenting.

Right now, anyone can post to news or business listings. I may restrict posting to some categories at the end of the month when we go totally public.

Blogs:
Each registered user has a blog. It is found under blogs in the menu (click on my blog).
This is used as a personal journal. You can set it to allow comments to your posts.

Groups:
Groups are not quite ready yet, but they can be used to organize a special project or as a way to stay in touch with parents and/or students. Groups can be public or private and users can elect to receive emails whenever new information is posted to the group. I see this as a good way to organize and communicate for sports and civic clubs and possibly classroom information, etc.

Calendar (will be up by Monday):
Under create content click event. Right now, just put in things that are of interest to the larger population. Once groups are created, you can have specific calendars with game and practice times for your own group that can be visible to the public (or not).

If you have a story to tell, please do. I'll be mining the site for articles and ideas for the newspaper. The paper will go to the printer on Mar. 26. I will be pulling articles from the site for the newspaper until the 23rd. If there are photos with the article, I will contact the author for a high resolution copy for the paper.

Story ideas:
Upcoming events (of course)
Honors and awards
Student showcase (I will print a limited number of poems, stories, photos, b&w art, research papers to show off the students). There is no limit to the number on the website though.
Sports scores and stories about the teams/athletes/games
Club events and meetings
Weddings and engagements, significant anniversaries
Stories about locals serving in the military

Mostly, just use the next week or so to experiment. Explore and tinker. Try to break it (but not too hard).

Please, let me know if you have trouble with anything or see something that needs to be changed or made simpler. There is a "help" category on the Forum if you want to post questions (or answers).

If anyone has documents they need to have added in, go ahead and email them to me and Ill convert them. Feel free to do a document dump to my email and Ill sort it out. Im also available to take pictures.

Thats all for now, let me know if you have any problems.
Suzi Rubin
423-0831
suzi@monroeobserver.com

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2007 :  12:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I look forward to seeing the paper Suzi. Thanks for the huge effort to make this come together.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2007 :  11:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How Fantastic !!!

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

EADS1995

250 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2007 :  1:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

greast news. thank you.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This is great news! I see it is very school oriented. I hope the school takes advantage of your information outlet. Its about time we started defining ourselves instead of letting the traditional media tell the story.

Best wishes and good luck on your newspaper.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2007 :  2:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Awesome! Now if I could only figure out how to post things without sounding like a complete jacka$$ I'd be in good shape!

How's about a monthly letter from the Dictator of Monroe©?

Go to Top of Page

Suzi Rubin

408 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2007 :  4:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzi Rubin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dr. Fink
Once registered, the Dictator will have a blog from which to make decrees, pronoucements, perform dubbings (or drubbings), whatever. If you'd like a column in the print edition, let me know what you have in mind.

Suzi
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2007 :  4:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Oh my, The official Dictator posting in the paper. I bet hes grabbed his Quill and Paper for a rough draft.

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2007 :  6:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think he is missing some ink.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2007 :  9:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br]I think he is missing some ink.

LOL was that supposed to be "I think he is the missing link?"

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzi Rubin

408 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzi Rubin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Events are ready on the site. Dr. Fink - any band dates to add? Opening Day Parade? Club Meetings?
www.monroeobserver.com
Go to Top of Page

HRHPatey
Advanced Member

USA
6198 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  1:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The MHS is preparing for the High School Musical production in April .... these Guys are fantastic, their dedication, immeasurable.. Could this be a topic for the Website?

It was my understanding that they are really open to any and all Community support.

I've searched the secret mists, I've climbed the highest peaks, Caught the wild wind home To hear her soft voice speak, No matter where I roam ...
Go to Top of Page

Suzi Rubin

408 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  5:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzi Rubin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes, I agree. They work so hard for months and I've really enjoyed every one of the Follies productions. Their hard work really shows!
Go to Top of Page

rally-o

705 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  5:59:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Suzi Rubin[/i]
[br]The Monroe Observer is making a comeback as a monthly newspaper beginning April 1. My goal with this paper is to keep the community informed of things that are going on in the city, including the schools, clubs and organizations, churches and businesses. Much of this information does not have a wide enough interest to be published in the regional dailies, but I know that the community is very interested in local stories.

I want this to be a paper not just about the community, but BY the community. I welcome all contributions, including ones written by our students.

The companion website is meant to be a repository of ideas and stories along the same lines. My hope is that the community will use this to stay up-to-date with events during the month and to organize volunteer efforts.

I am posting this invite on the Voice so that some of our more “techie” residents can start posting, but the newspaper will be the first real announcement of the site on April 1. Until then, I’ll be adding new features and people will be experimenting.

Here are the steps:

Registering:
Go to www.monroeobserver.com
Register (needs only username, email)
An email will be sent to your email account with a link to confirm registration. You can then select a password.

Posting a story:
To post a story, click on “create content”.
Under the “categories” menu on the form, there are specific tags for the article (elementary, sports, etc.). You can select more than one category (i.e. High school and sports)
Click “submit” and the story is posted.
All users can edit their own posts or delete them so don’t worry about experimenting.

Right now, anyone can post to news or business listings. I may restrict posting to some categories at the end of the month when we go totally public.

Blogs:
Each registered user has a blog. It is found under “blogs” in the menu (click on “my blog”).
This is used as a personal journal. You can set it to allow comments to your posts.

Groups:
Groups are not quite ready yet, but they can be used to organize a special project or as a way to stay in touch with parents and/or students. Groups can be public or private and users can elect to receive emails whenever new information is posted to the group. I see this as a good way to organize and communicate for sports and civic clubs and possibly classroom information, etc.

Calendar (will be up by Monday):
Under “create content” click “event”. Right now, just put in things that are of interest to the larger population. Once groups are created, you can have specific calendars with game and practice times for your own group that can be visible to the public (or not).

If you have a story to tell, please do. I'll be mining the site for articles and ideas for the newspaper. The paper will go to the printer on Mar. 26. I will be pulling articles from the site for the newspaper until the 23rd. If there are photos with the article, I will contact the author for a high resolution copy for the paper.

Story ideas:
Upcoming events (of course)
Honors and awards
Student showcase (I will print a limited number of poems, stories, photos, b&w art, research papers to show off the students). There is no limit to the number on the website though.
Sports scores and stories about the teams/athletes/games
Club events and meetings
Weddings and engagements, significant anniversaries
Stories about locals serving in the military

Mostly, just use the next week or so to experiment. Explore and tinker. Try to break it (but not too hard).

Please, let me know if you have trouble with anything or see something that needs to be changed or made simpler. There is a "help" category on the Forum if you want to post questions (or answers).

If anyone has documents they need to have added in, go ahead and email them to me and I’ll convert them. Feel free to do a document dump to my email and I’ll sort it out. I’m also available to take pictures.

That’s all for now, let me know if you have any problems.
Suzi Rubin
423-0831
suzi@monroeobserver.com

No!!!! Don't launch it on April 1st, Suzie! That might be misinterpreted...go for April 2nd! I'm sure it will be a great endeavor. I look forward to it.
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  6:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Events are ready on the site. Dr. Fink - any band dates to add? Opening Day Parade? Club Meetings?
www.monroeobserver.com

Sorry Suzi...I'll have something for you tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

Suzi Rubin

408 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  9:32:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Suzi Rubin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

rally-o wrote:
No!!!! Don't launch it on April 1st, Suzie! That might be misinterpreted...go for April 2nd!

I realized what it means and decided it was appropriate :). I give all my rescue animals April 1 for a birthdate for the same reason. At least you know I'm going into this fully conscious.
Go to Top of Page

rally-o

705 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2007 :  11:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]rally-o wrote:
No!!!! Don't launch it on April 1st, Suzie! That might be misinterpreted...go for April 2nd!

I realized what it means and decided it was appropriate :). I give all my rescue animals April 1 for a birthdate for the same reason. At least you know I'm going into this fully conscious.

Thanks for clarifying... Just wanted to make sure we were fully aware!
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/31/2007 :  08:55:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Just got done reading my issue of the Observer. Nice Job, Well done.

Go to Top of Page

Suzi Rubin

408 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/31/2007 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Suzi Rubin's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm glad you enjoyed it John. Thanks!
Before everyone rushes to the driveway...
We got about half of the papers delivered last night. Out until 3 am. I have a brand new respect for newspaper delivery people that's for sure! Anyway, we'll get the rest tonight and Sunday afternoon if needed.
Go to Top of Page

Hornet89

USA
4534 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/31/2007 :  10:12:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

John got an early copy he is VIP!!!! LOL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To: