Main Street Monroe | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Issues
 The Voice
 #2 Company in the US GM wants 100% tax abatement?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CherieGentry

USA
1637 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  08:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit CherieGentry's Homepage  Send CherieGentry an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/business/2007/09/24/mj092407monroegm.html

I have to just leave this topic out there and not comment because I have nothing nice to say......

NOTE: Any misspellings, incorrect case, verb usage, and/or sentence structure, although unintentional, are inserted within this statement with a purpose. It is my wish to appease those few people who need to find fault with anything nagging about small issues while overlooking the big picture!

CherieGentry

USA
1637 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  08:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit CherieGentry's Homepage  Send CherieGentry an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.middletownjournal.com/hp/content/oh/story/news/business/2007/09/24/mj092407monroegminside.html

NOTE: Any misspellings, incorrect case, verb usage, and/or sentence structure, although unintentional, are inserted within this statement with a purpose. It is my wish to appease those few people who need to find fault with anything nagging about small issues while overlooking the big picture!
Go to Top of Page

janeatte
Average Member

1470 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Nothing nice to say? everybody's comments are welcome unless they are harmful. I enjoy reading your post Cherie, and you have given me a lot of insight

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Ragin Cajun
Average Member

957 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If we dont jump on this, some other city will. It would be great for us to bring a big ticket business into Monroe. 185 new jobs sounds good to me. I dont think it could do anything but help the community.
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am not of the mind that progress is defined by building things and more is better. I would not like to see Monroe become West Chester though it appears that is the direction we are going and alot faster than I care to travel. I don't like the tax abatements although I understand that if Monroe doesn't give them somebody else will.

If we are to grow by adding more, we could do a lot worse than GM. These are quality jobs and a quality company that will bring a sustained if not higher standard of living to this community. I like this much better than a bunch of stores going in that will only make it harder to get in and out of town and add little more than the current fleas.

These are good paying jobs that will be here in 14 months with a chane of more in the future.

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So everyone is aware, the "Council" has had no meetings of any kind with GM. This deal has been put together by Mr. Brock with no direction from council. The Mayor and I found out they were meeting with the school from one of the school board members who brought it to our attention. While it took many months and a few meetings to provide information for the other developments we did incentives for, Mr. Brock has placed this on the agenda with a recommendation to pass it with no real information or even the opportunity for council to question this. In my opinion this is not how the process should work.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

All of the jobs are already filled by out of town employee's. We already have abated property in the area they want to build, is it worth giving up more?
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ragin Cajun[/i]
[br]If we dont jump on this, some other city will. It would be great for us to bring a big ticket business into Monroe. 185 new jobs sounds good to me. I dont think it could do anything but help the community.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Wow and why does everyone get what they ask for? Its not considered negotiation when only one side makes the deal.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob Kelley[/i]
[br]All of the jobs are already filled by out of town employee's. We already have abated property in the area they want to build, is it worth giving up more?
quote:
[br]If we dont jump on this, some other city will. It would be great for us to bring a big ticket business into Monroe. 185 new jobs sounds good to me. I dont think it could do anything but help the community.

If the jobs are already filled from out of towners then I say NO. It will only put more strain on the school and this area in general. If local people can get the jobs then I would say YES. There's not enough local tax to offset the downside.

Go to Top of Page

CherieGentry

USA
1637 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:33:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit CherieGentry's Homepage  Send CherieGentry an AOL message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

New Jobs? Read the second article.... "Brock said it is not known whether GM will move employees from other locations to the proposed Monroe facility."

hmmm....... pondering...... I wonder if possibly their tax abatement at another facility is over and that is why they are moving? Will they move away and leave empty space in 15 years after their abatement with us is done?........ no factual info here but considering this could be the situation.....

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

They want to locate down off of Salzman Rd. They estimate 185 employees which equates to 370 additional trips on 63 not to mention 160 to 180 trucks a day. which equates to 360 to 380 additional truck trips a day on 63. All right through the Britton Lane and Yankee rd intersections where our kids are. The last traffic study I saw reflected we were already at mid 20's in the percentage of truck traffic on 63. Adding 750 more vehicles a day half of which being trucks running around the clock are bound to create additional issues.

There is no mention of off site improvements being made to any of the roads, extended turn lanes etc. No mention of signal improvements or who will pay for those.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

185 jobs, at what average rate?
Lets say $20 per hour. That's $7,696,000.

Thats 100 new homes, 200 new students*. More problems for the schools in exchange for $7.7M.

You gotta ask yourself one question, is it worth it?

*Not actual numbers or estimates, for edification purposes only.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Just read this myself online.

My question - where's the guarantee that the facility - and the jobs - will be here 15 years from now when the abatement ends? There is none. So what's to prevent them from picking up and moving up the road to the next town who will give them guaranteed abatements? 15 years is a long time anymore - especially when the school system is already suffering from delays in recouping property taxes from all the growth in the city.

I'm weary of this. I'm all for growth and investment in Monroe. But will Monroe really benefit from this one? I would certainly put some sort of instant benefit for our schools into the negotiations on this one. Sponsorship of the stadium...significant donation to fund the building of the new elementary school...lots of things I would bring to the table before I would consider 100% tax abatement for 15 years.

Keep us posted Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Whisper4

USA
4424 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:10:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Our land is becoming more valuble with time, from the north to the south its getting overcrowded, why should we give any company a break to come here, our town and schools need the money, i say no tax break, i hope the school board stands up to them.
Great point Bob about the traffic on 63, the increase over the last 5 years is already crazy, plus the idea of extra trucks with all the school bus's using 63.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Whisper4 and itbedave have it right.

Big deal that GM wants to build here! They could easily go bust and then in 10 years we have a vacant warehouse. I say we should act like our property is special, we are in no hurry to do a deal. Rather than offering any company any tax abatement.

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]So everyone is aware, the "Council" has had no meetings of any kind with GM. This deal has been put together by Mr. Brock with no direction from council. The Mayor and I found out they were meeting with the school from one of the school board members who brought it to our attention. While it took many months and a few meetings to provide information for the other developments we did incentives for, Mr. Brock has placed this on the agenda with a recommendation to pass it with no real information or even the opportunity for council to question this. In my opinion this is not how the process should work.

Bob, do you think anyone will ever find Mr. Brock under that fleet of buses you just threw him under?

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:49:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by blueblood[/i]
[br]

If the jobs are already filled from out of towners then I say NO. It will only put more strain on the school and this area in general. If local people can get the jobs then I would say YES. There's not enough local tax to offset the downside.
[/quote]

I am not sure I want Monroe to become the warehouse capital of the world, but just to be fair, the GM deal bothers me less from a school point of view than Vandercar or the mall did. GM, under their union contract, must find work for some former employees in the Dayton area. Just by the nature of how the layoffs there went, the employees that would come work here are going to be senior ones, very much less likely to have kids than the new $10/hour Vandercar ones. That means lower impact on the schools.

But, I agree with Bob in that we have enough land already designated for warehouses.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:55:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]185 jobs, at what average rate?
Thats 100 new homes, 200 new students*. More problems for the schools in exchange for $7.7M.

Pardon me, I can't help but to laugh my backside off. Where was all this concern when the city granted a 30 year 100% CRA to Vandercar, which is likely to bring ten times as many people here, at half the pay?

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'm not saying that we need to open the flood gates, but doesn't Monroe need to start somewhere? If we continue to play hard ball with any and every company that wants to relocate here, we will have nothing for years to come! No offense to the small local companies opening up but they are not the future of Monroe. If anything, these local places benefit even more from GROWTH! And once the highway ramps are finished how much traffic congestion can there be? I bet it doesn't compare to the wonderful flea market congestion on the weekends now.
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Apparently I missed the whole Vandercar 30-year discussion. I certainly would have raised an eyebrow.

But I my initial view would be that an outlet Mall probably isn't going to cause people to want to move to Monroe like a major manufacturer or warehouse facility might.

Warehouses also don't typically generate the kind of drive-through traffic that a mall would - which will benefit lots of other nearby business in general. So I don't think I would apply the same qualifications to both.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by itbedave[/i]
[br]Apparently I missed the whole Vandercar 30-year discussion. I certainly would have raised an eyebrow.

But I my initial view would be that an outlet Mall probably isn't going to cause people to want to move to Monroe like a major manufacturer or warehouse facility might.

Warehouses also don't typically generate the kind of drive-through traffic that a mall would - which will benefit lots of other nearby business in general. So I don't think I would apply the same qualifications to both.

From the schools prospective, the Mall scares me more than any of the projects. This just my opinion, not that of the board. But I believe that people choose a place to live with several things in mind. First the community itself, is it a place you want to live. We do well there. Second the schools. Again we do well. Third, distance to shopping. Boom. That is the one that scares me in terms of accelerating growth. Bob and the others are right, the growth is coming with or without these projects. But I fear the mall is the one that could make us swell more quickly than we can deal with.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom, the only real difference I see in our opinions is you believe people will move here for a $20,000. per year job and I don't. I think the GM guys making $50,000.00 plus a year are more likely to want to locate here. Where would you rather your kids be raised, here or Dayton?

For the record, Bill stepped in front of the bus he was not thrown under it.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Tom, the only real difference I see in our opinions is you beleive people will move her for a $20,000. per year job and I don't. I think the GM guys making $50,000.00 plus a year are more likely to want to locate here. Where would you rather your kids be raised, here or Dayton?

If GM is anything like GE, the employees we are talking about are very senior ones in tenure, far more likely to have grandchildren, not children. Delphi's cuts have been massive, as have the other GM activities in the Cincinnati Dayton area

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]185 jobs, at what average rate?

Pardon me, I can't help but to laugh my backside off. Where was all this concern when the city granted a 30 year 100% CRA to Vandercar, which is likely to bring ten times as many people here, at half the pay?

Tom, I still disagree with this statement you are using speculation on the amount of people it will bring to the city. No Facts to back that up with facts on how many people will be here... Can you provide your stats for that statement?

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You also have to consider most of them took buyouts when they could so the amount of employee's with in home families could be much higher that you expect.
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]Tom, the only real difference I see in our opinions is you believe people will move her for a $20,000. per year job and I don't. I think the GM guys making $50,000.00 plus a year are more likely to want to locate here. Where would you rather your kids be raised, here or Dayton?

If GM is anything like GE, the employees we are talking about are very senior ones in tenure, far more likely to have grandchildren, not children. Delphi's cuts have been massive, as have the other GM activities in the Cincinnati Dayton area

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Ragin Cajun
Average Member

957 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well now I have no idea whats going on. Too many opinions floating around now.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  11:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

Bob, do you think anyone will ever find Mr. Brock under that fleet of buses you just threw him under?

Was it a Monroe Bus fleet?

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Whisper4[/i]
[br]Our land is becoming more valuble with time, from the north to the south its getting overcrowded, why should we give any company a break to come here, our town and schools need the money, i say no tax break, i hope the school board stands up to them.

Just one point. I have no idea why GM made a presentation to the school before it did the council, but schools don't control tax abatements, the city or county does. Our only role, and it is a new one gained from the Vandercar deal, is we can now reject large scale abatements greater than 50%. The city maintains everything else.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]Tom, the only real difference I see in our opinions is you beleive people will move her for a $20,000. per year job and I don't. I think the GM guys making $50,000.00 plus a year are more likely to want to locate here. Where would you rather your kids be raised, here or Dayton?

So, we get lots of truck and car traffic, spent land development area, commuters from Dayton everyday, no locals employee's to raise Monroe citizens standards, some money for the schools, payroll tax money for the city, and apprx. 400 trucks per day churning and chewing up 63 to the 75 on ramps merging with mall and weekend flea traffic. Thankfully, I can access 75 from the Middletown ramp almost as easily as Monroe. This is the progress I'm not that crazy about as I stated previously. You are right Tom, this is peanuts in comparison to the East developments.

As for Mr. Brock, neither under or in front but may I suggest tied to two separate ones might give a more comprehensive view!

Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br][quote]
Tom, I still disagree with this statement you are using speculation on the amount of people it will bring to the city. No Facts to back that up with facts on how many people will be here... Can you provide your stats for that statement?

Not a one. But can anyone here or anywhere else support the city's claim that it will NOT spur growth? That sword has two edges, and the city swung it their favored direction long before I pushed it back.

But here is the difference. If I am wrong and there is not a lot of growth, nobody gets hurt. If you guys who believe there will be little or no growth from it are wrong, the schools, and by extension the local taxpayers, are going to get hammered, hard. So which side should be asked to provide the stats you request?

One more point. Even if there is zero growth, the local taxpayers deserve the break lower abatements result in. We pay fairly high taxes here, and simply will have to have even more to support the number of kids coming, even at todays rate.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom, does the School Board as a whole support this?

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Tom, does the School Board as a whole support this?

How the heck would I know? I don't even know if I will support it, or for that matter, if it will ever even reach us officially. It will not come to the schools until and unless the city approves it. But at least this time the schools are engaged at the beginning of the process and that is a step forward for us all.

Frankly I think we have far too much land abated, at far too high a percentage, for far too long already. Approving the Vandercar deal was simply the medicine I had to swallow to give the schools the authority to reject future large deals with high abatements. If I had then had the authority to stop the city's CRA with Vandercar and its 29 mill 100% 30 year tax abatement, I would have. Don't get me wrong. I believe Vandercar can bring good things to the community. But 100% for thirty years is asking a lot.

My main point here is there little argument that I can see that makes the projects seem greatly different in my view for the city. But if you look at the size of the two, and their financial impact on the school district, the GM one is better, if only because it is 15 years instead of 30, and because employess, should they eventually move here, will earn twice as much or more.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

mechengineer

80 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  12:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Can't the city control the amount of new housing growth per year to offset some of these issues? I thought in the Monroe Crossings sub-division they did just that, so the school & utility system would not be overloaded all at once?
Go to Top of Page

itbedave

USA
1679 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  1:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Send itbedave an AOL message  Send itbedave a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

30 years is a long time. I would be shocked if that mall is still there 30 years down the road.

To back track a bit Tom - do the schools benefit in ANY way from that deal? Or how about the GM opportunity?

I agree that we have to be careful just how much we give away anymore. Look at how the land is filling up to the north and south of us. Perhaps these companies see us as a cheap and easy target. And maybe we should be playing hard to get a little more to protect our current and future needs.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  1:17:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

First, 90% of our goals, school and city, are the same. All this debate really is with respect to the remaining 10%.

Any deal for GM is yet to be determined. It must go through the city before it comes to us officially. The schools income increases somewhat with the Vandercar and Mall projects. The whole argument however, is whether the benefits outweigh the additional expenses the project will bring to the district. I don't believe they will, and Bob Kelly and many others clearly believe they will. It all comes down to how many new residents move here over a given period of time. I think quite a few, given the 1,500 jobs they will bring. The city council and manager, and the developers, claim their employees will not come here because their salaries are too low. I think they have to come this way because the salaries are too low and gas costs are high. In a month one could double the size of our two mobil home parks in the school district, and these are not in the city, and thus can't be easily controlled. Time will tell.

The city can slow the growth of housing, and Bob has from the beginning offered to do just that. However they can only impact the city, not the large areas of Lemon township that still exist. I just don't want that area to end up looking like Trenton from 73.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page

OSU Fan

59 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  1:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We have traders world now and turtle creek so whats a outlet mall gunna hurt. And a prison, and a big stachew of god I say go for it
Go to Top of Page

clarksteel1
Average Member

USA
992 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  1:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well at least they'll already have their picket lines assembled if they come....
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If the strike isn't settled soon, I doubt GM will front burner this project anyway. I am worried that GM is not competitive in the industry. Another strike with the union will compromise short term production schedules.

I would rather see office buildings than warehouses. If we could attract Corporation Headquarters, we would attract top dollar employees with businesses that have relatively low use of our city infrastructure.

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

All I have to say is if you have concerns or questions that you attend Tuesday's council meeting at 630. Probably won't the ability to ask questions but lots of your questions may get answered by the presenters at the meeting. Bob could clarify if the public can ask questions or not.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If you request to speak before the meeting starts you can ask questions. Anybody that wants to can speak.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 09/24/2007 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]If you request to speak before the meeting starts you can ask questions. Anybody that wants to can speak.

There you have it folks. Attend the meeting at Council Chambers at 630 PM if you have questions and concerns.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24