Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ellie
Average Member

USA
806 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  10:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Boy, am I opening myself up or what? I'll come right out and say I tend to bury my head when it comes to politics. I know nothing. And to prove, I'll ask...

Why, in the minutes from the meetings, is everything listed as an "emergency". What constitutes an "emergency resolution"?

Here are some examples from the last minutes:

EMERGENCY RESOLUTION NO. 74-2007. A RESOLUTION OF INTENT TO PARTICIPATE IN BUTLER COUNTY'S PAVING, ROAD REPAIR, AND STRIPING PROGRAM CONTRACTS FOR 2008, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

EMERGENCY RESOLUTION NO. 75-2007. A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING AND DIRECTING THE CITY MANAGER TO ADVERTISE AND RECEIVE BIDS, ACCORDING TO LAW, FOR A TON HEAVY DUTY EXTENDED CAB 4 X 4 TRUCK, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

EMERGENCY RESOLUTION NO. 76-2007. A RESOLUTION DECLARING THE NECESSITY OF ACQUIRING AND CONSTRUCTING CERTAIN PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS IN COOPERATION WITH THE WARREN COUNTY PORT AUTHORITY, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

BLT

USA
164 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I've thought the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

monroegardener

USA
1860 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ellie[/i]
[br]Boy, am I opening myself up or what? I'll come right out and say I tend to bury my head when it comes to politics. I know nothing. And to prove, I'll ask...

Why, in the minutes from the meetings, is everything listed as an "emergency". What constitutes an "emergency resolution"?

Here are some examples from the last minutes:

EMERGENCY RESOLUTION NO. 74-2007. A RESOLUTION OF INTENT TO PARTICIPATE IN BUTLER COUNTY'S PAVING, ROAD REPAIR, AND STRIPING PROGRAM CONTRACTS FOR 2008, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

EMERGENCY RESOLUTION NO. 75-2007. A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING AND DIRECTING THE CITY MANAGER TO ADVERTISE AND RECEIVE BIDS, ACCORDING TO LAW, FOR A TON HEAVY DUTY EXTENDED CAB 4 X 4 TRUCK, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

EMERGENCY RESOLUTION NO. 76-2007. A RESOLUTION DECLARING THE NECESSITY OF ACQUIRING AND CONSTRUCTING CERTAIN PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS IN COOPERATION WITH THE WARREN COUNTY PORT AUTHORITY, AND DECLARING AN EMERGENCY.

Awful lot of them, imho.

Nature is ever at work building and pulling down, creating and destroying, keeping everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another. -John Muir, Naturalist and explorer (1838-1914)
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  11:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Pulled from another thread posted by Tracy;

Tracy

USA
4526 Posts
Posted - 12/13/2007 : 6:18:24 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[i]Originally posted by Instigator[/i]
[br]I'm still trying to figure out the 100% tax abatement. Emergency resolution? Is this why we need a new 4x4 pickup? Bob can you tell us about this emergency resolution?

To answer your questions ...

the truck is for the new street superintendent. He started last Monday.

The emergency resolution is used when the city is going to spend money and once the resolution is passed the money can be spent right away. The normal resolutions will take effect 30 days after the second reading and passing of that resolution.
When you are going to purchase items the use of the emergency resolutions are used to expedite the purchase and you do not have to wait 30 days for the resolution to go into effect.

Hope that helps

TRACY SHELL
Monroe City Council Elect
513-600-0366
tshell@cinci.rr.com
shellt@monroeohio.org

Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Average Member

USA
806 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  3:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks! That is actually quite helpful. I still think "emergency" is a bit overused.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  3:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ellie[/i]
[br]Thanks! That is actually quite helpful. I still think "emergency" is a bit overused.

Ellie you are invited to the next Council meeting and you will get to see the swearing in of the new Council members and the election of the mayor.

The City has to put out for bids and those bids are only good for a short time. ( normally 30 Days) so the use of the emergency process is the most prudent process to get the items the city needs to do business. I will be glad to discuss this with you any time. Drop me an email or call me.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  3:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The emergency resolution is used when the city is going to spend money and once the resolution is passed the money can be spent right away. The normal resolutions will take effect 30 days after the second reading and passing of that resolution.
When you are going to purchase items the use of the emergency resolutions are used to expedite the purchase and you do not have to wait 30 days for the resolution to go into effect.

Are you saying that anything could be an emergency and this is a way around discussing and getting different bids on items?
Go to Top of Page

Ragin Cajun
Average Member

957 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/14/2007 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We hired a new superintendant for the Street Dept. and our current super went to the water dept. thus creating a need for a second vehicle.( thought i would add that before the question came up.) If council meetings were held every week we would not need emergency resolutions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City