Printer Friendly

Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/22/2007 :  01:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.mainstreetmonroe.com/Voice/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7309

Agendas?
This was posted but I just now found it!

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/22/2007 :  01:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dear God help us all. City Council please fight these people to the nail.

Check out my weather Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SouthwestOhioWeather

If you are looking to get in shape visit:
www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/1662/monroe-oh-45050
or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/22/2007 :  5:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Ok so from what I understand Burns sold Rockies land? Will this go before council? What can we do to stop this from happening? Can the city do anything about this and let them know Monroe is not an option? Thank You in advance!

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/22/2007 :  5:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Urso...I just confirmed that the land has NOT been sold as of yet.

My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.
Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/22/2007 :  7:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well someone needs to get on here and give the full story of what is going on.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/22/2007 :  7:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Why do you want to stop it. It is my understanding that they will just move it a few hundred yards, build in Middletown and then we lose the tax base. What difference does that short of a distance make in the big scheme of things. I already have a pipeline running within a driver-PW, of my house, this is out away from most housing!!!!Its coming and we might as well take the money for the schools. Remember the schools.........and the levy that has been so thoroughly gone over...........

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/23/2007 :  01:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I had a friend who was offered a considerable monthly sum to have a cell tower put up on the corner of his 40 acres. He wanted to accept it, but his wife didn't want it in view of the home, so they declined. A week later it was going up, directly across the property line. Same view, same issues, no cash. If they are moving it no further than a couple of hundred yards, we gain nothing, and lose some.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  5:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by blueblood[/i]
[br]Why do you want to stop it. It is my understanding that they will just move it a few hundred yards, build in Middletown and then we lose the tax base. What difference does that short of a distance make in the big scheme of things. I already have a pipeline running within a driver-PW, of my house, this is out away from most housing!!!!Its coming and we might as well take the money for the schools. Remember the schools.........and the levy that has been so thoroughly gone over...........

Well Blueblood this is like their fourth try at Monroe and we have driven them away and now they want to place it right on top of I 75 which is a disaster waiting to happen. The company that Rockies is building this for has been responsible for several explosions over the past year. Do you want to take that risk? Yeah we need to money but do we the money at the cost of human lives? Again being on top of 75 is a disaster waiting to happen.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  6:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yup...Yup...Yup..They are off the beaten path now. Lets take the money and help the school burden.

quote:
[br]Why do you want to stop it. It is my understanding that they will just move it a few hundred yards, build in Middletown and then we lose the tax base. What difference does that short of a distance make in the big scheme of things. I already have a pipeline running within a driver-PW, of my house, this is out away from most housing!!!!Its coming and we might as well take the money for the schools. Remember the schools.........and the levy that has been so thoroughly gone over...........

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  6:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Eagle[/i]
[br]Yup...Yup...Yup..They are off the beaten path now. Lets take the money and help the school burden.

quote:

I know your pushing my buttons but this is right on 75. Explosion or leak=Closure of 75 and if it explodes then you really have a problem. Do you expect people to develop near that area now? With the mall coming the area between Middletown and Monroe will develop and could get a move on in the Oxford State road extension and make a new exit for Middletown. So is Burns going to take that money from Rockies or do they wait for a commercial or industrial development? I would take the commercial or industrial developers because its safe and you get more money.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  6:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Rockies is going to develop either in Monroe or on our border. Again they are looking to be of the beaten path let them build it. Whats the tax revenue that they will bring? Abatements they will recieve? Anyone know?

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  7:46:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Eagle[/i]
[br]Rockies is going to develop either in Monroe or on our border. Again they are looking to be of the beaten path let them build it. Whats the tax revenue that they will bring? Abatements they will recieve? Anyone know?

Again this is NOT worth Monroe's responsibility if this happen let it go to Middletown. If you look at the overall map there is no reason why they should even be near Monroe.

There are other opportunities that will come our way. How long did it take for Home Depot to want GM's spot? Not long. That land right there is prime commercial/industrial development for the future and with this station going there it will not allow commercial development or industrial development to take place within a two miles of the station. So guess what? We gain the money from Rockies now but loose out on other companies that want the land around or even the land itself therefore we lose out on the tax revenue and other benefits that other companies bring. Rockies is bad for Monroe for several reasons and this is the main it will help in the short term but it will be costly down the road. When this comes up before council I will speak against this issue and the two main focal points will be the safety of people on 75 and the impact that it will have on development in Monroe.

This needs to go out in no man's land and that is east or west of Cincinnati. This area is to highly populated for one these stations.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Too Many Hobbies

435 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  8:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I say let them build it at Bern's and take their tax money. That is about as far away from anything and still be in Monroe. They cannot go any farther north without rerouting north of Middletown. It is certainly no more unsightly or dangerous than the AK steel monstrosity that is about the same distance. If it did explode it may rattle our windows, but that would be about it.

As far as development within 2 miles, it is no problem. Things do not need to be that far away. 2 miles away is Cin-Day and 63!
Go to Top of Page

scooter
Average Member

1143 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  9:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If you build it they will come...

buckeyes Pictures, Images and Photos
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  10:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Too Many Hobbies[/i]
[br]I say let them build it at Bern's and take their tax money. That is about as far away from anything and still be in Monroe. They cannot go any farther north without rerouting north of Middletown. It is certainly no more unsightly or dangerous than the AK steel monstrosity that is about the same distance. If it did explode it may rattle our windows, but that would be about it.

As far as development within 2 miles, it is no problem. Things do not need to be that far away. 2 miles away is Cin-Day and 63!

I am talking along 75 there are plans to make another Middletown Exit either at Greentree or Oxford State which would allow development to take place. With this in place along 75 it would keep other business from coming along 75 north of Monroe. So in the end we lose the tax money from other business that would of come without the station and were stuck with a station along 75 and no development between Monroe and Middletown.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  10:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Photobucket
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/26/2007 :  11:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here we go guys why business will not locate near this place. You asked for it!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070922/ai_n20521873

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  01:11:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ursosju25[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]
Well Blueblood this is like their fourth try at Monroe and we have driven them away and now they want to place it right on top of I 75 which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Steve you are confusing me at least. On top of I75? Along I75? It is my understanding this is a west to east pipeline, which puts it crossing I 75. No matter where they put the pipeline, it has to cross that interstate, and many others, to get gas from western fields, across to the eastern part of Ohio.

Yes, there are occasional accidents with pipelines. But pipeline is by far the safest means of moving fuel from source to customers. Monroe's real hazard is not this project, or any pipeline, but instead the gas plant at Yankee and Toddhunter. There, very combustible, nearly explosive fuels are transferred to trucks, and then these trucks drive right through the center of Monroe. In a relative safety sense, the new pipeline is a non-event, at least compared to the gas plant.

As far as businesses being unwilling to locate near a pipeline, look around a bit more. Both Vandercar and the Mall have a pipeline running through or adjacent to their property. I don't know of a single west-east corridor between Cincinnati and Dayton, where that pipeline will not cause the same concerns you raise.

If you could push the pipeline miles north or south of Monroe, then I might applaud your efforts. But if the result, as seems most likely, will be to move it just a couple of hundred yards, across the invisible boundary between Monroe and Middletown, then we get no tax income, and still share all the downsides you describe. Can't you see that point of view?

Finally, since you view pipelines as a great evil, what alternatives do you suggest for moving the gigantic quantities of fuel from fields to homes and businesses?

The issues you state are real. Their likelihood and magnitude, are far less however. The ONLY major concern I would have is if they plan to pump sour gas in the pipeline, the stuff with poisonous components such as hydrogen sulfide, that can't be noticed before major impact. I really doubt this will ever happen, as those gases are terribly corrosive to expensive pipelines, and are virtually always scrubbed before leaving the well field areas. That is easy to determine in their approval process.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom,

The pipeline going underground is no big deal its the compressing station is what I am worried about and that is right along 75 and that is a dangerous combination. Yeah there are gas pipes everywhere underground and that is no biggy its the compressing station that I am talking about. Again the station is right on 75 you will see it as you pass by and that will hurt in future development for Monroe no will build on that side of the highway between Monroe and Middletown. Yes they will build south of Monroe because far enough away that business would not be effected if something happened. You guys just don't get it at all. Just wait 10 years down the road when there is explosion or you see prospering development south of Monroe and its all dead between Monroe and Middletown and you all I will say is "I TOLD YOU SO". Tom have you done your research of other compressing stations around the country? The evidence is clear that no residential,commercial or industrial developer will go within two miles of the COMPRESSING STATION so that means no development well you look at as a positive that will mean 100-200 less kids going to Monroe or less traffic congestion down the road.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:13:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The other positive is, when it blows up and takes out 75, people will have to stop in Monroe for gas and food to turn around and go back where they came from.
quote:
[br]Tom,

The pipeline going underground is no big deal its the compressing station is what I am worried about and that is right along 75 and that is a dangerous combination. Yeah there are gas pipes everywhere underground and that is no biggy its the compressing station that I am talking about. Again the station is right on 75 you will see it as you pass by and that will hurt in future development for Monroe no will build on that side of the highway between Monroe and Middletown. Yes they will build south of Monroe because far enough away that business would not be effected if something happened. You guys just don't get it at all. Just wait 10 years down the road when there is explosion or you see prospering development south of Monroe and its all dead between Monroe and Middletown and you all I will say is "I TOLD YOU SO". Tom have you done your research of other compressing stations around the country? The evidence is clear that no residential,commercial or industrial developer will go within two miles of the COMPRESSING STATION so that means no development well you look at as a positive that will mean 100-200 less kids going to Monroe or less traffic congestion down the road.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob Kelley[/i]
[br]The other positive is, when it blows up and takes out 75, people will have to stop in Monroe for gas and food to turn around and go back where they came from.
quote:
[br]Tom,

Bob how do you feel about this issue? What are your plans when this goes before council? I would like to speak to you about this issue sometime and see where you stand. Tracy same goes for you!

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The truth is you can do more to stop it than I can. I don't want it here any more than anyone else but unless residents are willing to write to FERC and demand action we will be powerless to stop it. It's in a zoning area set for Heavy Industry. If no one sells them property it will be hard to locate it here. It's not City owned property.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

LMHS 1996

USA
62 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Maybe Giant Jesus will watch over the new pipeline & keep all of us safe. We are all his children you know!

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn. ~B.Franklin
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  4:40:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]The truth is you can do more to stop it than I can. I don't want it here any more than anyone else but unless residents are willing to write to FERC and demand action we will be powerless to stop it. It's in a zoning area set for Heavy Industry. If no one sells them property it will be hard to locate it here. It's not City owned property.

Thanks Bob for the support as you see most people on here are convinced this is good for Monroe. When its not! Why can't Burns wait till another commercial, industrial developer comes along and offers them a much better offer then what Rockies is offering? I am sure they will get another offer in 5-10 years especially once the mall gets settled into town. But the overall consensus is act now and take the $$$$ when this is a time we should wait because there will be consequences if we do this now. JMO

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.rexpipeline.com/index_east.html This will help with some questions.
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:13:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.rexpipeline.com/docs/REX_East_map.pdf (****) http://www.rexpipeline.com/East_maps.html
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You would think from that map they could easily go in far north Butler County if not Preble County and we all know Preble County is much more less populated them Butler County. Again all I care about is the compressing station not the darn pipeline going underground. Compressing station needs to be placed somewhere sparsely populated. Please read by above statements about why I think that instead of just responding to his because I don't want to repeat myself again. Thanks Instigator for posting this! I saw less detailed maps earlier but this helps out alot!

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:46:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

They could put it in Madison Twp just on the other side of the river.
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Instigator[/i]
[br]They could put it in Madison Twp just on the other side of the river.

Yeah if you get out on 122 or 503 you do enter no man's land. Much better place.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:54:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]The truth is you can do more to stop it than I can. I don't want it here any more than anyone else but unless residents are willing to write to FERC and demand action we will be powerless to stop it. It's in a zoning area set for Heavy Industry. If no one sells them property it will be hard to locate it here. It's not City owned property.

Hey Bob. Do you have a link or an email that I can write a letter to the FERC. Thanks.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/27/2007 :  11:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:

http://www.ferc.gov/

Hey Bob. Do you have a link or an email that I can write a letter to the FERC. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  12:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

I have to find the proper people to write is the key. I have already composed a letter for John Bohener and it will be sent soon.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Instigator

3230 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  12:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

I have to find the proper people to write is the key. I have already composed a letter for John Bohener and it will be sent soon.

http://www.ferc.gov/help/other-guide/intervene.asp
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  12:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]
quote:

http://www.ferc.gov/help/other-guide/intervene.asp

You are the man!

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  08:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]They could put it in Madison Twp just on the other side of the river.

Why do you want to blow up our old school mates?
Go to Top of Page

clarksteel1
Average Member

USA
992 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  08:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Boehner? BWAHAHAHAHA! If it isn't going through his neighborhood in West Chester (and there ain't NO way it is) he doesn't give a rat's a$$. Save your postage.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  10:13:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How is the pump house on Berns property bad? Seems like a good location to me. That way only cars on I75 can be blown up by an explosion at the pump station. Odd are, Jesus will keep an eye on things.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  10:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You all think this is a freakin joke when its NOT. Being by 75 is not good at all. I am offended with how people are taking this. Talk to your local council member and they are with me on this. You guys are so blind about the consequences this may have down the road.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

clarksteel1
Average Member

USA
992 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  10:43:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dude-you are surrounded by hazardous/deadly elements EVERYDAY! Get a list that tells you what the chemicals are in the railcars that go through town-it'll blowq your mind. There's enough ammonia in the refrigerated warehouses along Bypass 4 to make all of Butler County unihabitable. If you're gonna freak out on every threat, you're not gonna have time to smell the roses before one of them takes you out.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  10:44:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]You all think this is a freakin joke when its NOT. Being by 75 is not good at all. I am offended with how people are taking this. Talk to your local council member and they are with me on this. You guys are so blind about the consequences this may have down the road.

And those consequences are?

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 12/28/2007 :  10:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]You all think this is a freakin joke when its NOT. Being by 75 is not good at all. I am offended with how people are taking this. Talk to your local council member and they are with me on this. You guys are so blind about the consequences this may have down the road.

And those consequences are?

John I have gone over this numerous times in this thread. Why don't you talk to Bob Kelley and get this thoughts. We are thinking right along the same lines of the long term consequences. I will bring up the post for you to see because I don't feel like repeating myself for the 4th time. ODOT may have something to say about this to because its so close to the highway that a semi could crash into it and the safety hazard that it poses for 75.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again