New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/20/2008 :  9:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

As I was driving home on Todhunter today going around 40mph some jerk passes me on double yellow lines on the rail road tracks going at least 55mph. So this leads me to the following:

So, I think this is a good time to start a debate on whether or not Monroe should invest in a program like Citizens on Speed Patrol. Where the city buys Radar Guns and the citizens use the radar guns in various neighborhoods to catch speeders. I am not 100% sure on how this whole program works but I know Lebanon has a program where citizens help patrol the streets. From what I do understand you must get the same person more then one time and multiple pictures of their license plate and car and also their recorded speeds before any action can take place. I think some people that are more involved with the city could have more information about this program. So please elaborate if you know more about this program.
So my question for you the Monroe citizens. Do you favor a program like this? Why or why not?

Check out my weather Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SouthwestOhioWeather

If you are looking to get in shape visit:
www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/1662/monroe-oh-45050
or shoot me an email!

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I volunteer to patrol the Sackett Hwy. No one would see me just sitting on my porch a swinging...

Packers comment deleted.
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:08:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Do what? Kinda a long spill for a short question!

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Its a called background information Eagle to let the person know what this is.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/20/2008 :  10:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by buckeyenut[/i]
[br]I volunteer to patrol the Sackett Hwy. No one would see me just sitting on my porch a swinging...

Packers comment deleted.

as it should be, WOO HOO!!!!

My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.
Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/20/2008 :  11:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Steven, If you send Chief Homer an email. You will find he is already working on this issue. The city of Lebanon has a program where citizen can sign out a speed gun and use it to record lic numbers of violators. they turn this information over to the police dept. After the lic is record 3 times an officer contacts the person.
The Chief is working on something along that line.

The first Town Hall meeting will be announced soon and traffic issues may be the main topic. I am still working out the details and speaking with the other council members. If you have any thoughts please send me an email.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br]Steven, If you send Chief Homer an email. You will find he is already working on this issue. The city of Lebanon has a program where citizen can sign out a speed gun and use it to record lic numbers of violators. they turn this information over to the police dept. After the lic is record 3 times an officer contacts the person.

The first Town Hall meeting will be announced soon and traffic issues may be the main topic. I am still working out the details and speaking with the other council members. If you have any thoughts please send me an email.

Thanks Tracy. Council can have an impact on this too?

But again I want to hear how you the common Monroe citizens feels about this. Do you favor a program like this?

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  08:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by SticksnBricks[/i]
[br]You need a job...........

First I have a job secondly this is a serious thread. Rule violation. Mod please delete Sticksnbricks post. Very rude!

Please opinionate on this issue because it could be front and center a month down the road.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

scooter
Average Member

1143 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  08:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Everyone that drives down my street would get a call. Especially if they open the other end up.
Its sad because, you cant see over the hill in time to move. I almost get hit everyday. Guess it gets used for a cut-through to Kroger.

Mason Ave. folks. Glad I have a former Mayor close by. We gotta talk to the city bought some changes.

buckeyes Pictures, Images and Photos
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  09:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am all for it. There was a great article in USA Today a few months back about Loveland, OH and their program. I will see if I can dig it up.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  10:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It was not marked serious thread when you started it, Sticks made his comment before you added the "serious reply" tag. The ruling on the field stands, it was a proper comedic response......no penalty. Move along......
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Ursosju25[/i]
[br]
quote:

First I have a job secondly this is a serious thread. Rule violation. Mod please delete Sticksnbricks post. Very rude!

Please opinionate on this issue because it could be front and center a month down the road.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  11:22:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

When I had time I would love to radar people on Hollybrook just to see how fast they are going. I know Todhunter would be another hot spot to radar people. I know LMHS would love this to get people in her neighborhood.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

gradof06

447 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It has pros and cons to it. The thing that worries me is people will abuse their power.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The people don't have any power....just a radar gun

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  12:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob Kelley[/i]
[br]The people don't have any power....just a radar gun

So Bob I am calling you out. How do you feel about this? Do you favor a resolution if brought on the agenda later this year?

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Wow! Does this mean we can sit in your driveway and have fun on the MacReady national DragStrip.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br]Steven, If you send Chief Homer an email. You will find he is already working on this issue. The city of Lebanon has a program where citizen can sign out a speed gun and use it to record lic numbers of violators. they turn this information over to the police dept. After the lic is record 3 times an officer contacts the person.

Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  3:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here is the Loveland program

City of Loveland

Loveland Police Division

Neighborhood Speed Reduction Program

The Neighborhood Speed Reduction Program is simple. A group of neighborhood residents are trained by a Police Officer in the use of a hand held radar unit that tracks speeders. The Loveland Police Division loans the radar unit to citizens who participate in the program. A petition, signed by at least 3 residents of the neighborhood or street must be completed and submitted to the Police Division before the program can begin.

Residents, working in teams of two or three, monitor traffic speed at different times during the day and night for three consecutive days.

One operates the radar unit and the other records the required vehicle information.
When alleged speeders are detected by radar, information including the license plate number, make and color of vehicle, time of day, and vehicle speed is recorded on a special form provided by the Police Division. This form is submitted to the Loveland Police Division when the monitoring period is over.

What Happens To The Speeders?

The Loveland Police Division will NOT issue citations to speeders recorded by the monitoring team. The Police Division WILL send a letter to the registered owner(s) of all vehicles observed speeding in the neighborhood. The letter advises them that their vehicle was observed traveling over the posted speed limit and asks them to encourage drivers of their vehicle to drive at or below the speed limit when traveling on neighborhood streets.

The program is designed to get residents involved in their neighborhoods and to make motorists aware of neighborhood concern for speeding problems. Residents who participate in the program will also get a better understanding of speed measurement and enforcement.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Who's being rude now? If you attended your HOA meetings you would already know the answer to that question.
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]The people don't have any power....just a radar gun

So Bob I am calling you out. How do you feel about this? Do you favor a resolution if brought on the agenda later this year?

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

zubrU2
Average Member

862 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  4:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The one concern with Loveland's procedure for me would be in capturing the speeder's license plate number. Often times they are moving so fast you may just get a partial...
Go to Top of Page

SticksnBricks

USA
725 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  4:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]It was not marked serious thread when you started it, Sticks made his comment before you added the "serious reply" tag. The ruling on the field stands, it was a proper comedic response......no penalty. Move along......
quote:
[br]
quote:

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  5:03:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Reminds me of Citizens Arrest in Mayberry

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

drs_1827

USA
691 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  9:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think it's a great place to start. It seems that many neighborhoods are facing this issue. It only takes a few to make a change that seems to be bothering many! I was shocked this weekend to see how fast traffic was coming into Monroe, north on 25 from West Chester. Large Trucks moving way over 40 - 45 mph in front of Jubilee and then SLAMMING on the brakes at the park. It is very frustrating for me and many others, I am glad to know that others see this as well!
Good thought Urso!
Go to Top of Page

SticksnBricks

USA
725 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/21/2008 :  11:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

nip it in the bud, nit it right now--------- HAHAHA gotta love good ole Barney.
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Lets stay on topic here since this is an issue that will be addressed in the months to come. Again Bob when I figured people would address it seriously then were talking about the very safety of our own citizens. But some people just can't take things seriously worth anything sometimes even the man that runs this thing. Truly disappointed.

But lets face this issue will be on the agenda in the months to come and I am just letting you all know whats coming down the pipeline so you can't say you were informed. JMO

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

drs_1827

USA
691 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  12:33:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank you Urso!
Go to Top of Page

HPE07

175 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  08:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I hear some good ideas, but what about having the police officers patrol the side streets? I often see Monroe police sitting on Cin-Day Rd. or SR 63 running radar. Those are good places to catch speeders, but they can be just as productive in the neighborhoods.
Go to Top of Page

SticksnBricks

USA
725 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Am I missing something? If so please inform me.

The citizens will have a radar gun. No power to write tickets ( thank god ). What is the benifit? Sounds like a waste of time and money. Just my opinion. If I have missed something please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  10:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Am I missing something? If so please inform me.

The citizens will have a radar gun. No power to write tickets ( thank god ). What is the benifit? Sounds like a waste of time and money. Just my opinion. If I have missed something please let me know.

OK here is one idea. The citizen records the license number of those people that speed on thier street (three or more times). The citizen ask for help from the city and gives up the numbers. The police dept can then target the area and help reduce traffic concerns. Remember we are not at Full strength in the police dept and we are running with limited resources at times. The chief is hiring new officers as quickly as possible.

The safety of all Monroe citizens aer the main concern of the police and the city. If you see a school bus speeding call the bus barn with the number. If you see a city vehicle not obeying the traffic laws let the city know. The information you need will be the vehicle number time of day and location this occurred. Call me if you have concerns or drop me an email.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Eagle
Advanced Member

6260 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  10:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Eagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Another thought. On the roads that are becomming issues to neighbors and speeding; Why doesnt the city invest in a similiar portable device like the speed limit trailer that we have now. With the exception of having it like Middletowns Photo Traps. Is this device made portable? It would save a lot of time and trouble with neighbors taking pics, getting descriptions, liscense #s etc....
Just a thought.

Go to Top of Page

SKELLY1

USA
17 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  9:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There is a movement by one of our council to address just the type of device Eagle talked about-a portable radar-digital camera that can be positioned in neighborhood that have problems. Cost approx $7000 ea, with a minimum of 3 needed to provide coverage. Those that have concerns need to address council with emails and other means of making this issue visible. The Colonial Manor HOA had a very interesting discussion with this councilman last month and came away convinced it is a city wide problem. I do not mention the individuals name only for concern that he might want to address his efforts on this issue himself. This HOA has offered to have a board member and other residents join with other neighborhoods in making this a key public safety issue to the city. I share Steven Urso's concerns on Hollytree and adjacent street to the north. Someone will get killed if we do not address soon.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/22/2008 :  9:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by SKELLY1[/i]
[br]There is a movement by one of our council to address just the type of device Eagle talked about-a portable radar-digital camera that can be positioned in neighborhood that have problems. Cost approx $7000 ea, with a minimum of 3 needed to provide coverage. Those that have concerns need to address council with emails and other means of making this issue visible. The Colonial Manor HOA had a very interesting discussion with this councilman last month and came away convinced it is a city wide problem. I do not mention the individuals name only for concern that he might want to address his efforts on this issue himself. This HOA has offered to have a board member and other residents join with other neighborhoods in making this a key public safety issue to the city. I share Steven Urso's concerns on Hollytree and adjacent street to the north. Someone will get killed if we do not address soon.

Email me if you want me to speak or help out.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

KELLIEB

USA
133 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/23/2008 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I live on Todhunter Rd. I know exactly what you are saying. The drivers do not care. They will pass you. My husband was in an accident in front of our house several years ago turning into our driveway and someone did not pay attention he had his turn signal on and hit him. Turning into our driveway. That tells me that noone pays attention or care. Just get to their desgination.
Something needs done.
Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by KELLIEB[/i]
[br]I live on Todhunter Rd. I know exactly what you are saying. The drivers do not care. They will pass you. My husband was in an accident in front of our house several years ago turning into our driveway and someone did not pay attention he had his turn signal on and hit him. Turning into our driveway. That tells me that noone pays attention or care. Just get to their desgination.
Something needs done.

You would have a hay day out there gunning people. We would get people from everywhere on Todhunter especially from Middletown.

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

blueblood

USA
5167 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/23/2008 :  10:34:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by KELLIEB[/i]
[br]I live on Todhunter Rd. I know exactly what you are saying. The drivers do not care. They will pass you. My husband was in an accident in front of our house several years ago turning into our driveway and someone did not pay attention he had his turn signal on and hit him. Turning into our driveway. That tells me that noone pays attention or care. Just get to their desgination.
Something needs done.

You would have a hay day out there gunning people. We would get people from everywhere on Todhunter especially from Middletown.

On the west end of Todhunter, there are very few places where anyone should be going faster than 40 MPH. (I know its 35) On the east end, the hills make for challenging driving of the speed limit. I try not to top the hills too fast so I won't pick up excessive speed and have to ride my brake. I do speed down the hills but try not to be excessive because of being respectful of the residents and there are cops often at the bottom of the hill at Yankee!!!!!!

Let no man pull you low enough to hate him.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.
Go to Top of Page

KELLIEB

USA
133 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/23/2008 :  6:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

they need to stay down there too! They used to sit at the house with the big barn. They were able to hide coming down the hill. I am worried of the kids coming off the bus. Coming home they have to cross over Todhunter. The police needs to be out there between 2:00 and 3:30. They would see alot!
Go to Top of Page

LMHS CLASS OF 1995
Average Member

USA
1287 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/24/2008 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I'll take one of those radar guns, I can sit at the end of my road and catch'em . I'd say out of one hour,i could get close to 30 cars. they travel down my road like it is a drag strip

" think well, eat well, move well"

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/24/2008 :  1:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by LMHS CLASS OF 1995[/i]
[br]I'll take one of those radar guns, I can sit at the end of my road and catch'em . I'd say out of one hour,i could get close to 30 cars. they travel down my road like it is a drag strip

oh boy better be out there when they run the stop sign. NAIL THEM LMHS!!!

or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

LMHS CLASS OF 1995
Average Member

USA
1287 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/24/2008 :  1:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

i'll get'em. if it during the school hours of kids getting on or exiting the bus, i would love to point, record and submit to the locals.

" think well, eat well, move well"

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/27/2008 :  5:33:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Stop in on the first Town hall meeting to discuss these issue with Myself and two other Council members. The date will be announced in the next couple days. It will be a questions and answer sessions and your concerns will be heard.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 01/28/2008 :  8:13:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by LMHS CLASS OF 1995[/i]
[br]I'll take one of those radar guns, I can sit at the end of my road and catch'em . I'd say out of one hour,i could get close to 30 cars. they travel down my road like it is a drag strip

I would be in favor of that.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City