Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

janeatte
Average Member

1470 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Planning for the 4th is a big deal and we want to make sure that we have enough that appeals to all age groups. With the idea of a two day even this year, what would you like to see. We are trying to build off of the great event we had last year and want to continue to bring and exciting 4th celebration. Also, if you are interested in helping this year, please let me know.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:01:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Janeatte,

I'd love to help out with this year's planning. I think we could expand on last year's successful event.
Let me know how I can help.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

janeatte
Average Member

1470 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Steve, I was hoping you would be willing to perfrom as well? crossing my fingers. Love to have the help.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well let's look at the positives from last year...

The food was delicious and I think the vendors did very well. I would open it up to local restaurants first to make sure you don't get too many booths that are selling the same thing (this happened at Christmas at the Plaza).

The entertainment was great, but I would let the local band, yes Dr. Phink be the main event.

I would also like to see other kids or adults involved in a talent show of some sort. I think this is usually a success at the junior high and high school.

The parade was awesome so I wouldn't change a thing.

If possible, more games or activities for the kids to do. I'm not sure if they had face painting, hair coloring (temporary please), henna tattoos, ring toss, etc.

I would also like to see an area for gambling like we have at our church festivals. Maybe get the local business to donate items for a raffle (furniture from Riley's, gift certificates for local restaurants, grocery stores and other service businesses).

And of course, for Summerlover, beer is always good! I know, I know the liability!

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:10:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Great event last year. As good as City Fest ever was. Even if it rained.

More food vendors. Get BWR, Kidd Coffee and food from our Chinese brethren.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

janeatte
Average Member

1470 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How important is beer to the community

Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It just seems as though when you go to the summer festivals the beer garden area is always packed and brings in more people and more $$$.

JMO

BTW Janette, you guys did a GREAT job last year! We can't control the weather, but other than that, it was close to perfect!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by janeatte[/i]
[br]How important is beer to the community

Go to Top of Page

monroegardener

USA
1860 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

I'd guess that would depend on the kind of beer.

Nature is ever at work building and pulling down, creating and destroying, keeping everything whirling and flowing, allowing no rest but in rhythmical motion, chasing everything in endless song out of one beautiful form into another. -John Muir, Naturalist and explorer (1838-1914)
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:

On a scale of 1 to 10

about a 12

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

slapshot

USA
3266 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  1:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I thought the main event was a local band??? I thought the Cleavers were considered the main event, and I know they live in Monroe. Maybe I am confused, but I am allowed one mistake for the new year, lol

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Sports Mom[/i]
[br]Well let's look at the positives from last year...

The food was delicious and I think the vendors did very well. I would open it up to local restaurants first to make sure you don't get too many booths that are selling the same thing (this happened at Christmas at the Plaza).

The entertainment was great, but I would let the local band, yes Dr. Phink be the main event.

I would also like to see other kids or adults involved in a talent show of some sort. I think this is usually a success at the junior high and high school.

The parade was awesome so I wouldn't change a thing.

If possible, more games or activities for the kids to do. I'm not sure if they had face painting, hair coloring (temporary please), henna tattoos, ring toss, etc.

I would also like to see an area for gambling like we have at our church festivals. Maybe get the local business to donate items for a raffle (furniture from Riley's, gift certificates for local restaurants, grocery stores and other service businesses).

And of course, for Summerlover, beer is always good! I know, I know the liability!

Go to Top of Page

scooter
Average Member

1143 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  1:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Festivals+Beer+food+gambling+games+music= PARTY

I give beer a 12 out of 10 also. Do like the Oregonia Hillclimbs, and sell it by the gallon though.

buckeyes Pictures, Images and Photos
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Beer is really that important to all???????

I'm surprised. You can get beer any time of any day. You can't set aside a beer free day (or two) for a family oriented event?

Don't get me wrong. I like beer as much as the next person. I just worry about the liability and the type of crowd. Do you really want kids and drinking adults mixed together? I really don't think it will be as nice an event (as last year)if alcohol is introduced into the mix.

But give it a try.

JMO

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  1:54:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Oh my bad... I didn't realize they were local and I don't know that much about them.

I just figured that since the Finks are more involved in the community, it made more sense to have them as the main event.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by slapshot[/i]
[br]I thought the main event was a local band??? I thought the Cleavers were considered the main event, and I know they live in Monroe. Maybe I am confused, but I am allowed one mistake for the new year, lol

Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How about having the beer on Friday evening with a feature band for the evening.

On Saturday have more family events and a number of other bands. No beer on Saturday so less of a mix of adults and kids. Fireworks on Saturday evening to cap off the day.

This would give those food vendors a little better chance of selling good on two days and if some of the residents would like to see fireworks at other places Friday evening they can come home to Monroe on Saturday.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

scooter
Average Member

1143 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:17:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Reds game=beer, Bengals game=beer, Kings Island=beer, Fenwick Festival=beer, Just a way to bring more people in.

Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Come on scooter - is that the only reason you attend those events? Doesn't the quality of the event count????

Does more people make the event better? Especially if some are drunk and/or rowdy?

Again, that's OK if your answer is yes. I'm just surprised at the association of beer and a successful event. I suppose it generates more money. But what good is more money if the event sucks and the other vendors don't make money as well.

Just generating conversation. Not meaning to pick on anyone.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Great idea, except that I would switch it around and have the beer and featured band on Saturday to draw others from different areas who will probably go somewhere else for the actual 4th of July (which is Friday).

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br]how about having the beer on Friday evening with a feature band for the evening. On Saturday have more family events and a number of other bands. No beer on Saturday so less of a mix of adults and kids. Fireworks on Saturday evening to cap off the day. This would give those food vendors a little better chance of selling good on two days and if some of the residents would like to see fireworks at other places Friday evening they can come home to Monroe on Saturday.

Go to Top of Page

summerlover

3648 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit summerlover's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think Chuck E. Cheese even sells beer.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by scooter[/i]
[br]Reds game=beer, Bengals game=beer, Kings Island=beer, Fenwick Festival=beer, Just a way to bring more people in.

Beadiful Moments...every moment is a gift.
www.Beadifulmoments.com
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You can never predict what's going to happen when you add alcohol to the mix, but I don't ever recall having a "rowdy" group at our church festivals. They usually keep it in a controlled environment such as a beer garden where no minors are permitted in and you cannot take your beer outside the area.
Go to Top of Page

scooter
Average Member

1143 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  3:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
[br]Come on scooter - is that the only reason you attend those events? Doesn't the quality of the event count????

Does more people make the event better? Especially if some are drunk and/or rowdy?

Again, that's OK if your answer is yes. I'm just surprised at the association of beer and a successful event. I suppose it generates more money. But what good is more money if the event sucks and the other vendors don't make money as well.

Just generating conversation. Not meaning to pick on anyone.

I'm just saying all those venues sell alcohol. It's everywhere you go. No big deal.

Go to Top of Page

janeatte
Average Member

1470 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  4:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This is an idea we are shooting around right now-

On Friday the 4th from say 3-on have bands a beer tent a texas holdem tournament. Stuff mainly geared for the adults that night. The food vendors woulld also be set up.

On sat. the 5th, kick everything off with a parade then have festivities, games foods pageant demos, like last year. Then end the night with Fireworks. Of course there is a lot that will be added in between to fill in the gaps.

what do you think of this idea?

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Not legal at this point to do on any City owned property. All plans will also have to go through the park board and have involvement of the public involvement committee formed as of the first of the year. Changes that could allow theses can only be made by the City Council.
quote:
[br]This is an idea we are shooting around right now-

On Friday the 4th from say 3-on have bands a beer tent a texas holdem tournament. Stuff mainly geared for the adults that night. The food vendors woulld also be set up.

On sat. the 5th, kick everything off with a parade then have festivities, games foods pageant demos, like last year. Then end the night with Fireworks. Of course there is a lot that will be added in between to fill in the gaps.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

SteelerGirl

USA
1867 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by summerlover[/i]
[br]I think Chuck E. Cheese even sells beer.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by scooter[/i]
[br]Reds game=beer, Bengals game=beer, Kings Island=beer, Fenwick Festival=beer, Just a way to bring more people in.

They do...
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  4:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bob Kelley[/i]
[br]Not legal at this point to do on any City owned property. All plans will also have to go through the park board and have involvement of the public involvement committee formed as of the first of the year. Changes that could allow theses can only be made by the City Council.
quote:
[br]This is an idea we are shooting around right now-

Sounds like City Council should move on this beer thing.

Beer is the biggest draw to Fenwick Festival. Love that big Beer tent and seeing all my friends having fun.

We need beer at these events. I think our community can handle that.

Go to Top of Page

2015hornetsMOM
Average Member

USA
1179 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Janette--the event was great last year, we really enjoyed ourselves. I would love to see more vendor booths, such as crafts and home decor or even Monroe spirit wear. The airbrushing for magnets on cars and helmets is a great success at baseball. That might be of interest. Kids booths would be great too!
Go to Top of Page

SteelerGirl

USA
1867 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Agree! Beer makes a fun event even more fun! Just drink it in moderation and it will be all good.
Go to Top of Page

2015hornetsMOM
Average Member

USA
1179 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Some people don't know how to drink in moderation. This is a family event, I think you can survive a few days without beer. Go home and have one afterwards!!!
Go to Top of Page

SteelerGirl

USA
1867 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Touche...I am usually drinking myself so maybe I don't notice the obnoxious drunks around me.
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Is alcohol all you people think about?
Go to Top of Page

SteelerGirl

USA
1867 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes...time to go crack open a cold one.
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

And a church festival isnt' a family event?!? You can have beer at ball games, pizza places & other family restaurants, bowling alleys, Dave & Buster's, etc and these are all family places.

We have stupid people here in Monroe when they are sober, should be ban them too? Okay, maybe that's a little sarcastic, but gimme a break!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by 2015hornetsMOM[/i]
[br]This is a family event, I think you can survive a few days without beer. Go home and have one afterwards!!!

Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It looks as if it's a moot point unless council changes things. What about the pool? would be a real money maker for them. Anyone here on their board?

My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.
Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I would think you could get a buck or two for parking. also, don't date the tshirts.

My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.
Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:33:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
...We have stupid people here in Monroe when they are sober, should be ban them too?

HEY!
I sitting right HERE! Words hurt, you know!
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mindi Dishman[/i]
[br]It looks as if it's a moot point unless council changes things. What about the pool? would be a real money maker for them. Anyone here on their board?

Do you mean to make the pool area, adults only and serve beer?

You'd need a rope to pull my butt up that hill.

Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  5:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mindi Dishman[/i]
[br]It looks as if it's a moot point unless council changes things. What about the pool? would be a real money maker for them. Anyone here on their board?

Do you mean to make the pool area, adults only and serve beer?

You'd need a rope to pull my butt up that hill.

Yes, but imagine what fun it could be watching people coming back DOWN the hill!!!

Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  6:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

"We have stupid people here in Monroe when they are sober, should be ban them too? Okay, maybe that's a little sarcastic, but gimme a break! "

Would you be willing to provide the increased liability insurance for the event? Should be no big deal since drunk and sober stupid people are a fact of life and shouldn't cause any problems. This would also help the committee with their expenses.

Go to Top of Page

2015hornetsMOM
Average Member

USA
1179 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  6:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Why add fuel to the fire then with alcohol. I think it's a liability. Believe me, I am in no way against beer! Just think it's not such a good idea at this event!
quote:
[br]And a church festival isnt' a family event?!? You can have beer at ball games, pizza places & other family restaurants, bowling alleys, Dave & Buster's, etc and these are all family places.

We have stupid people here in Monroe when they are sober, should be ban them too? Okay, maybe that's a little sarcastic, but gimme a break!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by 2015hornetsMOM[/i]
[br]This is a family event, I think you can survive a few days without beer. Go home and have one afterwards!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  7:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

2015hornetsMOM,

I think we're fighting a losing battle here. Nice thing is that we get to express our opinion.

Cover me..............:)

Bob B

Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  7:46:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]2015hornetsMOM,

I think we're fighting a losing battle here. Nice thing is that we get to express our opinion.

Bob B

I'm with you. The day I had children was the last time I have been to the Fenwick Festival. I have seen too many people waaaaay over the line there.

Why do we have to be like everyone else? Let's make our city's festival be a true family event, it may draw more people from the area that want to go to a festival without beer.

We really enjoyed last year's event and one of the reasons was the environment was great for all ages.
Go to Top of Page

2015hornetsMOM
Average Member

USA
1179 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/05/2008 :  7:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I got your back!!
quote:
[br]2015hornetsMOM,

Bob B

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...