New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Last night at council there were 2 new Monroe Police officers introduced to council, Andrew Grossenbaugh and Paul Corbeil.

Chief Homer said, "the department is still 7 officers short even with these 2 new hires."

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:11:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It's quite obvious if you listen to the Police scanner. I consider it to be an emergency situation and I hope it's being treated as such.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

you have a police scanner?
wow, maybe you could keep police scanner notes on a thread!
just the good stuff you hear.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Yes, being short 7 officers is having an impact on speeders in areas not patrolled enough.

Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Got a fancy new digital one for Christmas. I don't have a clue how to use it except Monroe PD was preprogrammed.

Since I'm home alot, I'll consider it. I wouldn't want to get too technical or personal.
Go to Top of Page

mypinion

265 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

what freq?
Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]Yes, being short 7 officers is having an impact on speeders in areas not patrolled enough.

I remember when I got my drivers license all the other kids warned about Monroe being nothing but a speedtrap. (trenton, franklin and springboro also) Perhaps we need that rep again.

My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.
Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page

Respector
Average Member

1057 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe PD frequency is 159.150
Go to Top of Page

buckeyenut

USA
5646 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/13/2008 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I remember that rep, too. Mom would ALWAYS yell at me to slow down coming around the curve at the park. If I had a dime for every time I heard her say: "you're gonna get a ticket!".... My response was always the same: "But Mom, the car doesn't even idle at 25. You shouldn't drive down the road with the brakes on!" I never did get a ticket, though. Now I wish for patrol in the area.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/14/2008 :  08:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Police Chief Homer has been authorized to man the police force up to the projected numbers. The issue was last year, we hired 4 new officers and lost 4 during the year. The Chief is trying to hire one new officer every three months and this allows them to be trained on Monroe policies/laws and personnel. The issues faced in Hiring and keeping Police and firefighters continues to be movement to other departments. Both our Chiefs are doing a great job and we will continue to improve our numbers.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

With high unemployment in the area, I am surprised that we have any problem 'manning' the police department. Andrew Grossenbaugh and Paul Corbeil both seem like excellent men for the job. Mr. Grossenbaugh was plain clothed and Mr. Corbeil is a weight lifter.

Are we paying market wages? How can we be short? Effective recruiting being done?

Lets hire more officers and fill our housing supply with new recruits.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

According to Chief Homer, finding qualified candidates at our pay scale is next to impossible. So we need to recruit people to be trained in police work or those who are new to police work. There is a limited supply of poeople willing to work at Monroe's pay scale.

Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2008 :  2:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We don't have the resources to recruit and even if we did, some employees (both fire and police) move onto other departments because of the difference in salaries.

http://projects.middletownjournal.com/publicsalaries/
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2008 :  5:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]According to Chief Homer, finding qualified candidates at our pay scale is next to impossible. So we need to recruit people to be trained in police work or those who are new to police work. There is a limited supply of poeople willing to work at Monroe's pay scale.

John we are working on that issue.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Respector
Average Member

1057 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2008 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tracy[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]According to Chief Homer, finding qualified candidates at our pay scale is next to impossible. So we need to recruit people to be trained in police work or those who are new to police work. There is a limited supply of poeople willing to work at Monroe's pay scale.

John we are working on that issue.

Tracy, that needs to happen very quickly before you lose the fine young officers you have now. Young officers feel little loyalty to a particular agency when they can make nearly a grand more a month at most departments.
Go to Top of Page

PROUD GRANNY

USA
85 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2008 :  9:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am wondering why, if Monroe is 7 police officers short, why they discriminate against a persons age when applying. I have a son-in- law who will be 37, who is in great shape, that tried to apply for a position in Monroe but was told that he was "too old". Anyone know why? 36 is not old!!
Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Average Member

USA
806 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/08/2008 :  10:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This is Ellie's DH here.....how much is the starting salary for a Monroe police officer? I emailed the chief when this issue first came up. I asked him, for a friend I know who's interested in getting into police work, if the department would pay for a person to go through peace officer school at Butler Tech as long as the individual agreed to work for the department for a set number of years after becoming a certified peace officer. The chief basically blew me off stating that it would be ludicrous to do such a thing and compared it to hospitals not paying for medical professionals to go through school as long as they work for the hospital. Well, I've got news for the chief, there ARE hospitals out there who still use this practice of hiring people, particularly in high demand areas such as nursing. I only bring this up because John hinted that this may be the way the department may now go because of their situation. Is this true? It seems like it might be a smart approach since we are in such a dire need for new officers.
Go to Top of Page

Respector
Average Member

1057 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  01:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If he wants to get into police work, why hasn't he already gone to the academy? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

PROUD GRANNY

USA
85 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  07:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

He has completed the academy and is certified. He tried to apply for Monroe but they told him he was too old.
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  09:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I believe the cut off age for the fire and police departments is 35.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by PROUD GRANNY[/i]
[br]He has completed the academy and is certified. He tried to apply for Monroe but they told him he was too old.

Go to Top of Page

GMaof3Hornets

USA
299 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I listen to my police scanner everyday...Our officers are over worked and under paid...The pay scale they have it seems like the officers they get just come here to train and move on when they have time enough to go to a better paying county...and it isn't just the officers that run there buns off all day its the EMT's and Fire department also...little pay and little thanks for what they do for us each and everyday...Thank you to Monroe's finest...
Go to Top of Page

GMaof3Hornets

USA
299 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  10:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

if you are going to get a police scanner get one with the 800freq. you hear alot more...then you would understand why we need more officers...
Go to Top of Page

Respector
Average Member

1057 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  11:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]He has completed the academy and is certified. He tried to apply for Monroe but they told him he was too old.

I should have been more clear. I was asking Ellie. I know Monroe has the age limit and I think that's common for new officers.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  12:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I am wondering why, if Monroe is 7 police officers short, why they discriminate against a persons age when applying. I have a son-in- law who will be 37, who is in great shape, that tried to apply for a position in Monroe but was told that he was "too old". Anyone know why? 36 is not old!!

Monroe does not discriminate in the hiring of officers. The standard policy is to hire officer up too and including 35. As this is something they do for all officers it is not discrimination.

The investment of police officers is a substantial one and not one we take lightly. We added one more officer last night and currently have 4 officers on patrol most of the time. The Chief is working on filling the remaining needs and we will be up to staff level soon.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Ellie
Average Member

USA
806 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/09/2008 :  12:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Respector, Ellie's DH here. He's interested in becoming a police officer but is already in another career. He is married and can't just quit his job, not have a salary and have to fork over several grand to become certified as a peace officer. With today's financial situation the way it is, I think everyone can understand that. He's always been interested in law enforcement, but life sometimes throws you a curve ball and you have to go with the flow.

Thanks for asking though, I wasn't very clear in my initial post. Hope that clears things up!

BTW, no one has yet to say what Monroe's starting salary is for a police officer, unless I missed it. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

bosoxchic
Starting Member

2 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/10/2008 :  5:28:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well I am really confused about the hiring process. My husband passed the written test back in October 2007. He also passed the background check and the oral interview board. We have not heard a thing since November 2007. If they are short staffed and need to hire police officers, then why have we not heard anything? He has never even received a "No thank you" letter, so I would assume that he is still in their process, but again there has been NO communication for 5 months now. He meets all of the qualifications and would LOVE to make Monroe PD his home!! In fact, he was the valedictorian in his Police Academy! Don't let the Chief fool you guys. It's not about the pay scale. Anyone who chooses this career knows that it's not about the pay, it's about doing something that they love and helping to keep a community safe. If he needs more officers, tell him that my husband has been waiting 5 months to hear from him!!
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/10/2008 :  5:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I am not sure, but the fire department has a list of the applicants and the order that they placed in the testing process. They could be working down that list and it takes time to do all of the testing (polygraph, physical test, etc.).

It could be they are still working off that list and haven't reached his number yet.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bosoxchic[/i]
[br]Well I am really confused about the hiring process. My husband passed the written test back in October 2007. He also passed the background check and the oral interview board. We have not heard a thing since November 2007. If they are short staffed and need to hire police officers, then why have we not heard anything? He has never even received a "No thank you" letter, so I would assume that he is still in their process, but again there has been NO communication for 5 months now. He meets all of the qualifications and would LOVE to make Monroe PD his home!! In fact, he was the valedictorian in his Police Academy! Don't let the Chief fool you guys. It's not about the pay scale. Anyone who chooses this career knows that it's not about the pay, it's about doing something that they love and helping to keep a community safe. If he needs more officers, tell him that my husband has been waiting 5 months to hear from him!!

Go to Top of Page

bosoxchic
Starting Member

2 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/10/2008 :  6:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I hear ya..but he was #6 on the list after the written exam. He has been through the background check and the oral interview board, but that was 5 months ago and haven't heard a thing.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Sports Mom[/i]
[br]I am not sure, but the fire department has a list of the applicants and the order that they placed in the testing process. They could be working down that list and it takes time to do all of the testing (polygraph, physical test, etc.).

It could be they are still working off that list and haven't reached his number yet.

quote:
[br]Well I am really confused about the hiring process. My husband passed the written test back in October 2007. He also passed the background check and the oral interview board. We have not heard a thing since November 2007. If they are short staffed and need to hire police officers, then why have we not heard anything? He has never even received a "No thank you" letter, so I would assume that he is still in their process, but again there has been NO communication for 5 months now. He meets all of the qualifications and would LOVE to make Monroe PD his home!! In fact, he was the valedictorian in his Police Academy! Don't let the Chief fool you guys. It's not about the pay scale. Anyone who chooses this career knows that it's not about the pay, it's about doing something that they love and helping to keep a community safe. If he needs more officers, tell him that my husband has been waiting 5 months to hear from him!!

Go to Top of Page

Respector
Average Member

1057 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/10/2008 :  9:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I hear ya..but he was #6 on the list after the written exam. He has been through the background check and the oral interview board, but that was 5 months ago and haven't heard a thing.

Has your husband called or contacted the Chief? He's very accessible.
Go to Top of Page

Tracy
Advanced Member

USA
8410 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/10/2008 :  10:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The Police chiefs plan was to hire 1 new officer every 3 months. I believe if your husband is interested in Monroe PD, then give the chief a call as a follow up.

TRACY
Go to Top of Page

Sports Mom
Advanced Member

10329 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 04/11/2008 :  09:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sports Mom's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Being #6 on the written exam is great, but other factors come into play after the background check and the interview.

Sounds like he did very well so I would have him give the chief a call!

quote:
[br]I hear ya..but he was #6 on the list after the written exam. He has been through the background check and the oral interview board, but that was 5 months ago and haven't heard a thing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City