New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

babyhornets

48 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/02/2009 :  9:50:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Moms Supporting Monroe

I would like to invite you to join Moms Supporting Monroe, a group formed to represent Monroe Moms who are in
support of the levy.

In November, citizens of Monroe will go to the polls to vote on a levy that will impact our community, our schools and our children. It is imperative for the voters to know that they will not be paying any additional tax dollars with the passage of this levy. As the mothers of Monroe, I feel our voices are strong and deserve to be heard.

My hope is that our united front will serve as an influence to other Monroe Moms and families who may or may not support this levy. If you would be interested in being a part of this group or you know of anyone else that would be, please email me and let me know, so that I can include your email address in future contact. It is my hope that our group will raise awarness and stimulate conversations about this issue. Our group, along with other levy supporters will be walking in the 4th of July Parade (we would love to have you) as well as helping with future levy efforts, whenever possible. Please feel free to call or email me with any questions. Amie Earls @ 539-9392 or email me at earlsam@muohio.edu

Thanks so much!
Amie Earls

babyhornets

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by babyhornets[/i]
[br]

In November, citizens of Monroe will go to the polls to vote on a levy that will impact our community, our schools and our children. It is imperative for the voters to know that they will not be paying any additional tax dollars with the passage of this levy. As the mothers of Monroe, I feel our voices are strong and deserve to be heard.

Oh the twisting of the truth! If you vote NO on this levy and more taxable land is used your tax rate will go down. Voting yes means you will always be stuck with this tax rate.

I will be voting NO, and the school can do like the rest of us and CUT BACK! Deal with it and stop whining.
Go to Top of Page

Cncrnd Parent

USA
164 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

What exactly is the levy for?
Go to Top of Page

babyhornets

48 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  10:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Hello Concerned Parent,

In response to your question, in November the three exsisting emergency levies will be placed on the ballot as one substitue levy. Substitute levies are a new levy option for growing districts. Several months ago, Ohio legislators acknowledged the need to help growing districts (like ours) with their challenge of always having to go back to the voters, just for operating funds, so that they can keep up with all of their enrollment growth they experience. Hence, the substitute levy was created.

The new substitute levy will be exactly like the emergency levy.. but with one BIG exception... as new valuation growth is seen in the district by housing development and industry, the additional value is added to the original value of the levy without raising taxes for current homeowners. A substitute levy will keep the taxes as they are today, as if we had simply renewed the original emergency levy.

Bottom line is that there will be NO additional taxes for current business and homeowners... but with the substitue levy in place.. NEW homes and businesses built in the district will be taxed at the same rate as the current owners, which will be additional revenue for the district WITHOUT an increase for those of us that are exsisting owners.

I hope this explanation helps..thanks so much for asking!

babyhornets
Go to Top of Page

Cncrnd Parent

USA
164 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

But will this pay for the new schools?
Go to Top of Page

b1ackhole

28 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  5:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You mentioned "NEW homes and businesses built in the district will be taxed at the same rate as the current owners, which will be additional revenue for the district". I'm not familiar with the current levies or how they work. What happens today if a new home is built in the district? What rate do they pay, and where does the money go?
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  8:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by b1ackhole[/i]
[br]You mentioned "NEW homes and businesses built in the district will be taxed at the same rate as the current owners, which will be additional revenue for the district". I'm not familiar with the current levies or how they work. What happens today if a new home is built in the district? What rate do they pay, and where does the money go?

What happens today if a new home or business comes in our tax per house goes down. So by voting yes it DOES cost you more money.
Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  8:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

No money.. why did you pull your post?
Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/03/2009 :  11:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Because I decided I don't want to get in this, the only thing I suggest is to call the office of the county auditor to get the right answers concerning taxes on new homes.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Hornet86[/i]
[br]No money.. why did you pull your post?

Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/04/2009 :  07:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by No money[/i]
[br]Because I decided I don't want to get in this, the only thing I suggest is to call the office of the county auditor to get the right answers concerning taxes on new homes.
quote:

I understand that... you had some good points... just curious
Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/04/2009 :  11:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks, I don't hear that often. A county tax rate is just that for homes, before, now and in the future, every home owner will pay what ever the current rate in the particular year it is, unless they are old enough to get the deduction for the Homestead Act.
quote:
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by No money[/i]
[br]Because I decided I don't want to get in this, the only thing I suggest is to call the office of the county auditor to get the right answers concerning taxes on new homes.
quote:

I understand that... you had some good points... just curious

Go to Top of Page

babyhornets

48 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/04/2009 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the questions..

No, this levy will not help to pay for the building of a new school. That would be considered a bond issue. This levy is regarding operating expenses. Bond issues and operating issues are seperate....... BUT, by passing this levy and changing our emergency levies to one substitute levy, it will enable us to receive additional revenue from new homes and businesses..which will help to give us the funds we need to have, to operate an additional building.

We are currently using an emergency levy system..those emergency levies have a cap of 3.6 million dollars total.....so right now, when a new home or business is built in Monroe, the SCHOOLS receive NO additional revenue (but they are getting the students). Yes.. this means that those new buildings and homes would be paying into the pie, which those of us that are exsisting home and business owners, would have the opportunity to pay less... I can see where this is a tempting thought for some..we too, are a young struggling family...But.. we have to be realistic..Monroe is a wonderful place to be..people want to live here..work here..build their businesses here.. so that means more students for our already overcrowded classrooms and hallways...but if the district is able to receive the additional revenue from these new developments, under the substitue levy, it would give our very popular school system the capability to provide for the new children in our district, without providing less for the exsisting students.

babyhornets
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/04/2009 :  3:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]

We are currently using an emergency levy system..those emergency levies have a cap of 3.6 million dollars total.....so right now, when a new home or business is built in Monroe, the SCHOOLS receive NO additional revenue (but they are getting the students). Yes.. this means that those new buildings and homes would be paying into the pie, which those of us that are exsisting home and business owners, would have the opportunity to pay less... I can see where this is a tempting thought for some..we too, are a young struggling family...But.. we have to be realistic..Monroe is a wonderful place to be..people want to live here..work here..build their businesses here.. so that means more students for our already overcrowded classrooms and hallways...but if the district is able to receive the additional revenue from these new developments, under the substitue levy, it would give our very popular school system the capability to provide for the new children in our district, without providing less for the exsisting students.

How about this, teachers and admin take pay freezes like the rest of us, eliminate retirement and switch to 401k like the rest of us, and just do with less like the rest of us and stop digging in our pockets. Funny they always are looking for more ways to get more tax money but never any way to reduce spending of tax money.

Vote NO send a clear message to the abuse and waste of our tax dollars!
Go to Top of Page

mhornets1
Average Member

1492 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/04/2009 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I was just wondering how long have you been in Monroe and involved with the schools?

quote:
[br]Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the questions..

No, this levy will not help to pay for the building of a new school. That would be considered a bond issue. This levy is regarding operating expenses. Bond issues and operating issues are seperate....... BUT, by passing this levy and changing our emergency levies to one substitute levy, it will enable us to receive additional revenue from new homes and businesses..which will help to give us the funds we need to have, to operate an additional building.

IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS THEN GO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM....
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/04/2009 :  4:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bobpreston[/i]
How about this, teachers and admin take pay freezes like the rest of us, eliminate retirement and switch to 401k like the rest of us, and just do with less like the rest of us and stop digging in our pockets. Funny they always are looking for more ways to get more tax money but never any way to reduce spending of tax money.

Bob Preston's
"Post of the Week"

Congratulations on your achievement, Bob!
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/05/2009 :  01:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]

Bob, why don't you take a look at spending per student and see what has happened over the past few years. So you think the district never finds a way to reduce spending of tax money? Our spending per student has dropped from well over $10,000 four years ago to $7,900 last year, the lowest in the county. That is roughly a 25% reduction in spending per student. The district never looks for a way to reduce spending? Then pray tell us just how those reductions happened.

All of the easy cuts, and some hard ones have already happened. This substitution levy will provide more than $500K per year from the Mall, pipeline, and pumping station, and will keep existing home and business tax rates at today's tax levels. In my opinion, the district must either raise new revenue, or make very drastic cuts in services provided. The substitution levy process is the only one I know of that increases new business tax revenue without also increasing millage rates on existing homes. Otherwise, either everyone's property taxes will have to increase, or services will have to take a huge hit.

So give us some viable examples of how to make the cuts you call for, all the waste you see? And I mean today, not examples of cuts that were made over the past several years. Exactly what programs should be cut? End athletics, and AP courses? Make sharp reductions in electives? Increase student/teacher ratios, which is known to be bad educationally? Cancel high school busing? Give us the cuts you see easily made in the programs and their impact and I will listen.

As for cutting school employee retirements, that is not within the control of the district, and I suspect you know that. It is defined in Ohio revised code. Most of our administrators went several years without pay increases, and received a modest one recently, primarily to keep them competitive, to keep good administrators from leaving the district, or returning to teaching, where they could earn as much money working fewer hours. Both have happened in recent years.

Even better, run for school board this fall, and show us how easy it will be to do. That I would love to watch, were it not so serious for our students.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

zubrU2
Average Member

862 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/05/2009 :  08:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Sorry, off topic (sort of), but a very intriguing experiment in the following article from the NY Times this morning. It will be interesting to see their results.

Next Test: Value of $125,000-a-Year Teachers
By ELISSA GOOTMAN
So what kind of teachers could a school get if it paid them $125,000 a year?

An accomplished violist who infuses her music lessons with the neuroscience of why one needs to practice, and creatively worded instructions like, Pass the melody gently, as if it were a bowl of Jell-O!

A self-described explorer from Arizona who spent three decades honing her craft at public, private, urban and rural schools.

Two with Ivy League degrees. And Joe Carbone, a phys ed teacher, who has the most unusual rsum of the bunch, having worked as Kobe Bryants personal trainer.

Developed Kobe from 185 lbs. to 225 lbs. of pure muscle over eight years, it reads.

They are members of an eight-teacher dream team, lured to an innovative charter school that will open in Washington Heights in September with salaries that would make most teachers drop their chalk and swoon; $125,000 is nearly twice as much as the average New York City public school teacher earns, and about two and a half times as much as the national average for teacher salaries. They also will be eligible for bonuses, based on schoolwide performance, of up to $25,000 in the second year.

The school, called the Equity Project, is premised on the theory that excellent teachers and not revolutionary technology, talented principals or small class size are the critical ingredient for success. Experts hope it could offer a window into some of the most pressing and elusive questions in education: Is a collection of superb teachers enough to make a great school? Are six-figure salaries the way to get them? And just what makes a teacher great?

The schools founder, Zeke M. Vanderhoek, 32, a Yale graduate who founded a test prep company, has been grappling with just these issues. Over the past 15 months he conducted a nationwide search that was almost the American Idol of education minus the popular vote, but complete with hometown visits (Mr. Vanderhoek crisscrossed the country to observe the top 35 applicants in their natural habitats) and misty-eyed fans (like the principal who got so emotional recommending Casey Ash that, Mr. Vanderhoek recalled, she was basically crying on the phone with me, saying what a treasure he was.)

Mr. Ash, 33, who teaches at an elementary school on the outskirts of Raleigh, N.C., will take the social studies slot.

The Equity Project will open with 120 fifth graders chosen this spring in a lottery that gave preference to children from the neighborhood and to low academic performers; most students are from low-income Hispanic families. It will grow to 480 children in Grades 5 to 8, with 28 teachers.

The school received 600 applications. Mr. Vanderhoek interviewed 100 in person.

Along the way, Mr. Vanderhoek, who taught at a middle school in Washington Heights before founding Manhattan GMAT, learned a few lessons.

One was that a golden rsum and a well-run classroom are two different things. There are people who its like, wow, they look great on paper, but the kids dont respect them, Mr. Vanderhoek said.

The eight winning candidates, he said, have some common traits, like a high engagement factor, as measured by the portion of a given time frame during which students seem so focused that they almost forget they are in class. They were expert at redirecting potential troublemakers, a crucial skill for middle school teachers. And they possessed a contagious enthusiasm which Rhena Jasey, 30, Harvard Class of 2001, who has been teaching at a school in Maplewood, N.J., conveyed by introducing a math lesson with, Oh, this is the fun part because I looooooove math! Says Mr. Vanderhoek: You couldnt help but get excited. Hired.

Teachers said the rigorous selection process was more gratifying than grueling.

Its so refreshing that somebody comes to a teacher and says, Show me what you know, said Oscar Quintero, who goes by Pepe and will teach special education. This is the first time in 30 years of teaching that anybody has been really interested in what I do.

The school will use only public money for everything but its building. It is close to signing a lease for private space on 181st Street, to be covered by a combination of public school financing, a charter school grant and what Mr. Vanderhoek described as a small amount of private donations (he ultimately hopes to raise enough private money to build a permanent space).

To make ends meet, teachers will hold responsibilities usually shouldered by other staff members, like assistant principals (there will be none). There will be no deans, substitute teachers (except for extended leaves) or teacher coaches. Teachers will work longer hours and more days, and have 30 pupils, about 6 more than the typical New York City fifth-grade class.

The principal, Mr. Vanderhoek, will earn just $90,000. Teachers will not have the same retirement benefits as members of the citys teachers union. And they can be fired at will.

That did not scare Mr. Quintero, who is in his 60s and is moving from Florida; Heather Wardwell, 37, who is leaving East Greenwich High School, in Rhode Island, after a decade, to teach Latin; or Judith LeFevre, 54, the Arizona teacher who earned about $40,000 as recently as two years ago.

Ms. LeFevre, who will teach science, wrote via e-mail that the school was an experiment of sorts, in which Im one of the subjects. She added, This could be unsettling were it not for the excitement of working with a team of master teachers, all of whom are motivated to help every student succeed, with no excuses and no blame.

Her other teammates: Damion Frye, 32, who teaches English at Montclair High School in New Jersey, has a masters degree from Brown University and is pursuing his doctorate at Columbias Teachers College, and Gina M. Galassi, 40, who teaches music at Kingston High School in Ulster County, N.Y.

Mr. Carbone, 44, spent four years as head strength and conditioning coach for the Los Angeles Lakers. He left for a quieter life in Spring Valley, N.Y., last year, after overhearing one of his three sons say, I want to play basketball, but my dad hasnt taught me yet.

Whatever the magic formula for a great school or teacher may be, Mr. Vanderhoek has come to believe that there is an essential ingredient to the search for such teachers: Time spent in that teachers classroom, watching students learn. Then again, his team has yet to hit the court.

I have tremendous confidence that the staff is going to be excellent, he said. But we will see.

Go to Top of Page

DoggieDaddy

USA
14 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think this is a great thing you're doing Amie. My family moved here several years ago from Middletown, specifically for the schools. It seems the likes of BobPreston would be content to let Monroe's schools go the way of Middletown's. I think it's important to stress that this issue will cost the citizens of Monroe no additional money. Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/12/2009 :  09:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I haven't decided if I will support the levy or not, but I think what Bob is trying to say is that we vote this year to keep the same tax then in another year or so another levy for a new school. In times where people are still being laid off, hours cut and few good paying jobs out there they all this comes at a bad time.
I enjoy reading the posts on here about the school levy because this is an area I really need to do some research on, so please keep on posting! I spoke to a couple of people on our street who had no idea new homes didn't pay into the schools like we do.
Go to Top of Page

babyhornets

48 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/12/2009 :  10:26:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Trust me.. we can relate as far as financial hardhips go.. this is a very trying time...But, I think it is imperative that we all look beyond the right now and keep the bigger picture in view...investing a little in our schools goes a long..very long way..
I can think of a handful of families that I know personally (including my own) that moved to Monroe for the soul purpose of the schools, this leaves me to believe that probably evey single person that taps into this forum most likely knows one family that moved here for that reason..families are continuing to move here for this purpose and will in the future.. With this said..I cant help but to acknowledge a thread that is on the voice right now from a local real estate agent about Monroe housing being hot...not many communities can say this right now.. but we can..and I think we would be hard pressed to find someone that would say that this doesnt have to do with the fact that we have stand out schools to offer..period!

quote:
[i]Originally posted by wifeofbrownsfan[/i]
[br]I haven't decided if I will support the levy or not, but I think what Bob is trying to say is that we vote this year to keep the same tax then in another year or so another levy for a new school. In times where people are still being laid off, hours cut and few good paying jobs out there they all this comes at a bad time.
I enjoy reading the posts on here about the school levy because this is an area I really need to do some research on, so please keep on posting! I spoke to a couple of people on our street who had no idea new homes didn't pay into the schools like we do.

babyhornets
Go to Top of Page

GrannySmith5

USA
53 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/19/2009 :  11:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Great family pic on the cover of the local newspaper yesterday Amie!!

Every day you wake up is a potentially good day!
Go to Top of Page

babyhornets

48 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/21/2009 :  10:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thank you so much!!!
:)

babyhornets
Go to Top of Page

Flowerpot

84 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/23/2009 :  11:09:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How about this, say something positive for a change! Every time I see you post on here, it's a negative comment.

quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]

Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/24/2009 :  10:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Really? The new mall isn't paying into the school? If that's true, I didn't know that either.
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  01:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by BLT[/i]
[br]At this point I dont know how I will vote for the levy. My feathers are still ruffled over the fact that the new outlet opening in Monroe gets a tax abatement for 15 years. I know this is over and done with but it upsets me that the school needs money desperately and these companies get a pass while hard working families are taking pay cuts and loosing jobs but expected to pay more taxes. I just spoke to a mom the other day that said when the outlet opens the schools will have plenty of money coming in. She had no idea they have a tax abatement. We the tax payers are told to put the kids first so why didnt our city when they made this deal? We are made to feel guilty if we dont want to give more money to the school. I love kids and want the best education for each and every one of them but if youre a family or senior citizen that is having a hard time putting food on the table and paying your bills then you have no choice but to vote no. Senior citizens get no pay increase but the cost of living keeps going up. You cant blame them for voting no if they just dont have the money.

BLT, I am not sure where you got your info, but the mall does NOT have a tax abatement, and none are planned for any of the proposed other retail businesses such as restaurants. It will be paying its full taxes to city and schools just like the rest of us. Its first tax payment will come due in January 2011. Ohio bills property taxes one year in arrears. This is just like if you built a new home this year, it goes on the tax books Jan 1 next year, and your tax bill comes one year later. The same is true for the gas line and pumping station and the Honda Dealership. Furthermore, passing this issue automatically applies full tax rates on all future new businesses, except those in Vandercar/I75 Corridor Park. It does have an abatement for another 13 years.

Agreeing to that was a very difficult pill for the district to swallow, but part of that agreement is that from now on the schools have a veto power on large abatements on large projects anywhere else in the city. Prior to that the schools had no voice whatsoever in abatements of any kind. So I feel safe in saying the times of large abatements like it is over.

The November ballot action changes our three emergency levys from emergency ones to a new class called substitute levys. It will freeze home and existing business millage at today's millage rates, and apply those full rates to all future businesses and homes. This will help the district deal with cost increases from inflation. For example, food costs for the district increased 17% over last year. Previously, as new homes were built and new kids moved in, emergency levy tax millage rates were reduced automatically, and the schools received the same amount of money to deal with ever increasing number of students.

The district is doing everything possible to reduce costs. Over the past 4 years, cost per student has decreased approximately 25%. I don't like all the cuts we have had to make, but as several here have said, now is not the time for a tax increase. Employee headcount has been reduced, and several contracts have been re-negotiated. The reduction in home sales and student population growth has given us some badly needed breathing room, and time to review operations across the board.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  06:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Gotta love people spreading misinformation when they have no clue.

Go to Top of Page

BLT

USA
164 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  08:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Tom, thank you for clarifying my misconception. I thought Vandercar/I75 Corridor Park was the outlet mall. I thought anything that was built there received a 15 year tax abatement. I rely on you for straight forward information and appreciate the time you take to post on here. So I guess Im confused on who gets the tax abatement but I am glad to here that the businesses in the outlet mall will be paying taxes to the school. Like I said in my original post, I want the best education for all kids.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by BLT[/i]
[br]At this point I dont know how I will vote for the levy. My feathers are still ruffled over the fact that the new outlet opening in Monroe gets a tax abatement for 15 years. I know this is over and done with but it upsets me that the school needs money desperately and these companies get a pass while hard working families are taking pay cuts and loosing jobs but expected to pay more taxes. I just spoke to a mom the other day that said when the outlet opens the schools will have plenty of money coming in. She had no idea they have a tax abatement. We the tax payers are told to put the kids first so why didnt our city when they made this deal? We are made to feel guilty if we dont want to give more money to the school. I love kids and want the best education for each and every one of them but if youre a family or senior citizen that is having a hard time putting food on the table and paying your bills then you have no choice but to vote no. Senior citizens get no pay increase but the cost of living keeps going up. You cant blame them for voting no if they just dont have the money.

BLT, I am not sure where you got your info, but the mall does NOT have a tax abatement, and none are planned for any of the proposed other retail businesses such as restaurants. It will be paying its full taxes to city and schools just like the rest of us. Its first tax payment will come due in January 2011. Ohio bills property taxes one year in arrears. This is just like if you built a new home this year, it goes on the tax books Jan 1 next year, and your tax bill comes one year later. The same is true for the gas line and pumping station and the Honda Dealership. Furthermore, passing this issue automatically applies full tax rates on all future new businesses, except those in Vandercar/I75 Corridor Park. It does have an abatement for another 13 years.

Agreeing to that was a very difficult pill for the district to swallow, but part of that agreement is that from now on the schools have a veto power on large abatements on large projects anywhere else in the city. Prior to that the schools had no voice whatsoever in abatements of any kind. So I feel safe in saying the times of large abatements like it is over.

The November ballot action changes our three emergency levys from emergency ones to a new class called substitute levys. It will freeze home and existing business millage at today's millage rates, and apply those full rates to all future businesses and homes. This will help the district deal with cost increases from inflation. For example, food costs for the district increased 17% over last year. Previously, as new homes were built and new kids moved in, emergency levy tax millage rates were reduced automatically, and the schools received the same amount of money to deal with ever increasing number of students.

The district is doing everything possible to reduce costs. Over the past 4 years, cost per student has decreased approximately 25%. I don't like all the cuts we have had to make, but as several here have said, now is not the time for a tax increase. Employee headcount has been reduced, and several contracts have been re-negotiated. The reduction in home sales and student population growth has given us some badly needed breathing room, and time to review operations across the board.

Go to Top of Page

BLT

USA
164 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  08:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I had no intention of spreading misinformation and I am glad that Tom corrected me.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]Gotta love people spreading misinformation when they have no clue.

Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  08:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My comment wasn't personal toward you...even though you were the one who brought up that particular issue in this thread.

My comment was more toward this sort of thing happening quite often around here.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Tom Birdwell[/i]
[br]

Bob, why don't you take a look at spending per student and see what has happened over the past few years. So you think the district never finds a way to reduce spending of tax money? Our spending per student has dropped from well over $10,000 four years ago to $7,900 last year, the lowest in the county. That is roughly a 25% reduction in spending per student. The district never looks for a way to reduce spending? Then pray tell us just how those reductions happened.

All of the easy cuts, and some hard ones have already happened. This substitution levy will provide more than $500K per year from the Mall, pipeline, and pumping station, and will keep existing home and business tax rates at today's tax levels. In my opinion, the district must either raise new revenue, or make very drastic cuts in services provided. The substitution levy process is the only one I know of that increases new business tax revenue without also increasing millage rates on existing homes. Otherwise, either everyone's property taxes will have to increase, or services will have to take a huge hit.

So give us some viable examples of how to make the cuts you call for, all the waste you see? And I mean today, not examples of cuts that were made over the past several years. Exactly what programs should be cut? End athletics, and AP courses? Make sharp reductions in electives? Increase student/teacher ratios, which is known to be bad educationally? Cancel high school busing? Give us the cuts you see easily made in the programs and their impact and I will listen.

As for cutting school employee retirements, that is not within the control of the district, and I suspect you know that. It is defined in Ohio revised code. Most of our administrators went several years without pay increases, and received a modest one recently, primarily to keep them competitive, to keep good administrators from leaving the district, or returning to teaching, where they could earn as much money working fewer hours. Both have happened in recent years.

Even better, run for school board this fall, and show us how easy it will be to do. That I would love to watch, were it not so serious for our students.

And yet you allow other students from other district to come here and we pay for it. Tell us Tom how much money per those students do you get? Is it enough to cover their $8k bill. NOPE, but you dont like this because you wont charge them the difference you would just rather milk the tax payers of Monroe. Come on Tom lets get the TRUTH out or will you avoid this like you always do????
Tom, have you cut off the cell phone bills off yet or are the tax payers still picking up the tab for the admin up there to have overpriced, unrequired cell phones?
Maybe its time to increase the class size a little and tell the parents that have kids playing sports they have to pay the TOTAL bill of sports. If your kid is a fat arse tell them to go jogging.
If that dont work for you its time to limit the size of the teams and cut the bench warmers.

FACT if we vote yes on this ballot issue the school will be in overdrive every chance they get to raise your taxes and now you will never get a break.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  12:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Flowerpot[/i]
[br]How about this, say something positive for a change! Every time I see you post on here, it's a negative comment.

Hey how about this, if you have nothing of substance to say about the subject just keep your mouth shut.
I know we should all follow the pro-tax idiots blindly while they WASTE our money.
Go to Top of Page

Flowerpot

84 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:08:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Oh I'm sorry, I didnn't realize I had to stay on topic. I was just trying to prove what kind of person you are. Thanks for helping me. Have a great day!

quote:
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Flowerpot[/i]
[br]How about this, say something positive for a change! Every time I see you post on here, it's a negative comment.

Hey how about this, if you have nothing of substance to say about the subject just keep your mouth shut.
I know we should all follow the pro-tax idiots blindly while they WASTE our money.

Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 06/26/2009 :  08:17:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Bob Preston Wrote:

"And yet you allow other students from other district to come here and we pay for it. Tell us Tom how much money per those students do you get? Is it enough to cover their $8k bill. NOPE, but you dont like this because you wont charge them the difference you would just rather milk the tax payers of Monroe. Come on Tom lets get the TRUTH out or will you avoid this like you always do????
Tom, have you cut off the cell phone bills off yet or are the tax payers still picking up the tab for the admin up there to have overpriced, unrequired cell phones?"

I think your statement sums it up. You don't know what changes have been made. Or what is spent and what it costs. You say Tax=waste and that is your position. (shallow I think)

"overpriced cell phones" How much were the individual bills? I can see a child out on a playing field or some other place in need of a 911 call. Oh... um.. sorry lad, we must send a runner some place that has a phone (gotta' save the money son, sorry 'bout yer' luck)

As for the open enrollment it brings more money in to the district than a local enrolled student and they don't "cost" the district money.

You tell others to shut up if they have nothing to say, but how about pointing us to a previous post or post the >>>>Specific<<<<<< costs and solutions that are workable.

When I read your posts I suspect, if you had your way it would be, "turn of the lights and water, tell the parents to send a flashlight and a bucket with their kids"

offer Solutions not rants

Under NCLB - Jacque Cousteau did not have enough education to teach your child Marine Biology
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 07/11/2009 :  04:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]And yet you allow other students from other district to come here and we pay for it. Tell us Tom how much money per those students do you get? Is it enough to cover their $8k bill. NOPE, but you dont like this because you wont charge them the difference you would just rather milk the tax payers of Monroe.

Bob, I can't tell if you just can't get it, choose not to, or get it and keep raising the BS concerns knowing they are wrong. I am not running for school board reelection, so I have no reason to distort things here.

We don't offer open enrollment in the elementary school and never have. Why? Because elementary kids sit in the same class together all day, and are at a fixed ratio of kids per teacher. Add more kids and you have to hire more teachers. So there is no profit for the schools.

But that is NOT the case in the high school. As a small school, to have a full curriculum for MONROE kids, we have to offer many classes that are not full. It costs us virtually nothing to have an out of district kid sit in that room, so any money we get is profit for the district. It is just that simple.

Suzi Rubin made the best analogy of it with airline standby tickets. The airplane is going from point A to point B regardless. If they can't fill the seats with full fare customers, their choice is to fly with an empty seat, and get no money, or take a standby passenger at somewhat less money. Which gives them more money Bob? Flying with an empty seat for nothing, or getting a reduced fare and filling the seat.

The chair is there, the teacher is there, all the costs are there, now do you want to fill the empty seat and collect a partial fare, or collect nothing whatsoever. That is how open enrollment works in a small high school.

Every treasurer in small Ohio schools that I know believes that open enrollment in their high schools helps them financially. So either all of them, professionals in their fields, are wrong, or you are. Which do you think is the case?

quote:

Come on Tom lets get the TRUTH out or will you avoid this like you always do????

Exactly what truth am I not telling you Bob? The truth here is you just don't get it.
quote:

Tom, have you cut off the cell phone bills off yet or are the tax payers still picking up the tab for the admin up there to have overpriced, unrequired cell phones?

Two years ago we had too many cell phones. We had a bad approval process and didn't notice it. The very day it was realized, the process began to eliminate them from employees who don't need them in their jobs. That is an old issue, a fixed old issue.

Do some still have some cell phones? Absolutely. Why? Because they need them to efficiently do their jobs. Administrators move from place to place, yet for lots of reasons, including child safety, often need to be immediately contacted. The excess phones were gone within two months of the problem being recognized. Those still having them justified the need for them in their jobs. Each is individually approved by the superintendent now.

Every business I know of today provides critical, mobile employees with cell phones. Schools are no different.
quote:

Maybe its time to increase the class size a little

Class size has already been raised, more than a little.

quote:
and tell the parents that have kids playing sports they have to pay the TOTAL bill of sports. If your kid is a fat arse tell them to go jogging. If that dont work for you its time to limit the size of the teams and cut the bench warmers.

OK Bob, you don't want the school to provide, fund, any sports. That is a fair and honest opinion. You are not alone on that one. However it is one not shared by the majority of taxpayers in Monroe. I don't know why you are nailing me on this on. I believe in the value of sports in developing young men and women in lots of ways, and support our sports, but I am about the least sports driven person on the board.

quote:

FACT if we vote yes on this ballot issue the school will be in overdrive every chance they get to raise your taxes and now you will never get a break.

Explain how taking advantage of this one time opportunity to collect taxes on businesses, specifically the mall, gas pipeline, and pumping station, and ALL future businesses, WITHOUT increasing home property taxes changes school behavior, past or future. How does this put the district in overdrive?

Bob, if this issue is passed in November, the districts ability to collect full tax rates on new businesses will REDUCE the need to go to homeowners for more taxes, not increase it. Besides that, your tax rates will go DOWN next year, because of the millage drop as the first bond set of the new school being paid off.

Try to get at least some fact straight.

Again, I am not running for the board again, so I have absolutely no reason to fabricate anything here.

Tom Birdwell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24

City