New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

randy
Administrator

204 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here is the first interview question given to me by your school board candidate Brett Guido.

Why would you be a good school board member?

I chose to run for school board to continue the progress we have made since forming our own district in 2000. I feel there are significant challenges that will continue with the current economic downturn, and he district needs community members that are able to make the very difficult decisions ahead of us in a responsible manner, maintain and improve the excellent schools here in Monroe, while being mindful of the taxpayer's challenges.

To view the entire interview click the link below:

Questions And Answers With Monroe School Board Candidate Brett Guido

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  3:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

In your interview you state "My involvement over the last 4 years in the school district has given me insight to how the district operates." How have you been involved in the district?
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  3:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If I recall properly, Brett has been involved with previous levy initiatives, fundraisers, school board meetings and has worked closely with both superintendents Libbie and Arnol on various projects.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Sportsnut asks a valid question. Answers to these questions should be detailed, not generalized. If a candidate has experience and ideas, they should be articulated in great detail. Also, does the candidate agree with how the district operates? What are the district's good and bad qualities?
We all want better schools, good sports programs and high quality graduates in a cost effective manner. How are these candidates going to get us there?

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
Answers to these questions should be detailed, not generalized. If a candidate has experience and ideas, they should be articulated in great detail.

I am not sure I agree with this. I believe you can become too "wordy" if you answer them in too much detail. IMO these question and answer threads should just be the conversation starters allowing us, the voters, to ask the more specific questions based upon their answers.
Go to Top of Page

SWC

630 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  8:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If this is intended to provide information for voters, then the answers should be more specific. If the interviewee fails to give enough detail, then the interviewer should ask follow-up questions and provide those answers to the intended audience. In politics, we need wordiness... otherwise, voters may never know what the candidate has done or truly has to offer.
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  9:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If this were a traditional news source(TV, Radio, Newspaper) I would completely agree with that. But this is an interactive forum in which the candidates will be able to respond to the voters directly. The interview was done through e-mail and all the candidates will have the exact same questions. It is then our responsibility to find bits and pieces of the answers that intrigues us and ask the follow up questions. That is the beauty of a public forum.

It's probably o difference of opinion on how this works, but that is how I envision it.
Go to Top of Page

randy
Administrator

204 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/05/2009 :  11:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

You are correct about all the interviews being done vie email. Some candidates have longer answers than others as you will see with upcoming interviews. In the end it is my goal to bring those that partake in the interview to the Voice to contiue to answer questions posed by you.
Go to Top of Page

loaner288

1868 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/06/2009 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks for the questions. I chose not to write a novel, as I don't believe I am that exciting, lol. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions. Here ya go!

* Co-Chaired the last two levy committees and was a member of another.
* 2 yrs. on Superintendent Community Advisory Committee (Elam)
* Science Fair Judge 3 yrs
* Volunteered for numerous field trips and class events
* Fundraising and support of Marching Band/Music Program
* Fundraising and support of Choir/Annual musical
* Attend many School Board meetings

I have coached baseball, basketball, soccer and football for years. Although they are not directly associated with the schools, they do involve the kids in the district.

I am sure there are more, and does not include the many activies I have been involved in with the city, but I believe this shows my commitment as a parent since I have move back to Monroe 6 yrs ago.

Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/06/2009 :  3:51:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks Brett!
Go to Top of Page

Tom B

5357 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/06/2009 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tom B's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by sportsnut[/i]
[br]In your interview you state "My involvement over the last 4 years in the school district has given me insight to how the district operates." How have you been involved in the district?

Bret posted a reply, but I want to add to it. Not only has he done all the things listed, but he did so very well indeed. He has been a resource for the district who literally never declined a request for support, and often volunteered without being asked. His knowledge of levies, district finances, and the district's history will serve him quite well if elected. Furthermore, his background in real estate finance provides a network of contacts that can greatly help the district in understanding future enrollment growth.

Tom Birdwell

Opinions written here are mine alone, and may not reflect the views of other board members.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/07/2009 :  5:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Brett has the right take on communication in my book,

"Improving communication from the district is one of my main goals, so I believe participation on some of these forums can be helpful if used in the correctly. General concerns and questions can be discussed, but I feel that contact directly to the administration and board members should be the first place to go to for specific concerns. We have all seen situations that could have easily been resolved had the district been made aware of the issue first. My participation on line would be on a case by case basis, but I would prefer direct contact first, to ensure no miss-communication."

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

sportsnut

USA
2746 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/16/2009 :  3:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://www.investintomorrow.com/brettguido/
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I think everyone ought to take a serious look at Brett Guido for school board. He is just the kind of person we need on the school board. He understands the issues and works will we the current and former school administrators.

I think Brett Guido would make a great school board member. That's why he has my vote.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/29/2009 :  11:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Interesting, Brett has the most reads of any of the candidates. I think this says that people are more curious about Brett than the other candidates. Not sure if you could extrapolate any voting projections from this.

Go to Top of Page

HBG
Advanced Member

USA
7054 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 10/29/2009 :  11:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

and he's the only regular voice poster (or semi regular anymore) I think that's why he has more "hits" than the others.

My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did.
Phil McGraw
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24