Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Monroe News
Administrator

1712 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  10:02:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Council Voting on Emergency Resolution 14-2011, a resolution to authorize our attorneys to file an appeal to the SunCoke ruling.

Monroe, Ohio Breaking News

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

the definition of insanity (or unwise spending) is repeating the same process over and over and expecting a different result. At least 1 council member sees the reality and voted NO.
Too bad I wasn't selected for the open council position (I know, sour grapes...) - but it would have been 2 NO votes.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I believe Hickman will have a rather large voting block if he runs for re-election. Hickman won't have to campaign again if he keeps up his emphasis on controlling spending (re: SunCoke, I75 Interchange), and improving communication (re: Hickman called for more detail in the Council Action Summary).

Bob, I would encourage you to run in November. Council may have not chosen you because you made it known that you, like Hickman, would not follow the others blindly in their anti-business agenda.

With new council members maybe some day the city will actually list and link up the businesses in Monroe. They removed all business links a few years ago. Helping business begets more tax revenue and encourages other businesses to want to locate in Monroe. From the city links page, a prospect should be able to know that their are several restaurants and stores as well as light industrial and warehouse employers in Monroe. Also there is not mention of our Excellent Monroe School District.

Photo: Is this what Monroe will look like in 2012 with SunCoke in Full Production? If you believe our legal department, yes this is the future of Monroe, air pollution so bad, you can cut it with a knife.

The unintended consequence of this SunCoke lawsuit is that it makes Monroe less appealing. This is due to our attorneys painting the future of Monroe as being excessively polluted. Painting a future polluted Monroe is no way to attract new businesses and residents.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I have to admit that I was disappointed but not really surprised at how the votes went. But I am sure there is an underlying "something"
that we (the general taxpaying public) are too dense to comprehend - even if council tried to explain...at least its what I get from their posts...
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe's future is being excessively polluted. Its not like they are making it up. Its the truth
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

If there was even a slim chance that you might be free thinking and not go with flow...You did not really stand a chance of being "selected" but you just may have a great chance of being "elected"-JMO
I am considering my votes for council with every action proposed and enacted from now til November. If this keeps up - I will be changing up my support of a few council members...
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
[br]the definition of insanity (or unwise spending) is repeating the same process over and over and expecting a different result. At least 1 council member sees the reality and voted NO.
Too bad I wasn't selected for the open council position (I know, sour grapes...) - but it would have been 2 NO votes.

Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  11:52:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

It's TRULY a shame that I can't say a single damn thing about my reasoning and rationale behind all of this because I would LOVE to shout it from the mountain top; but I can't - and we all know why.

I've been in this position all of what...6 weeks now? I've spent every free moment getting up to speed on everything related to MCC and how we got to where we are. I can tell you first hand that it's no fun staying up almost every night until 3 AM reading legal documents that would make your eyes bleed and trying to make sense of any of it independently, without having discussions with the balance of council about all of this, for the simple reason of making an informed opinion free of undue influence.

It's easy to stand of the soapbox and proclaim that you'd vote one way or another and I accept that BUT you are doing so without having all of the information. I, unfortunately do...and that's not your fault and it's not my fault - it's simply the way it is.
The singlemost thought in my mind through all of this has been, and will continue to be, what is in the best interest of the people of Monroe - not a few of them - ALL of them.

I can tell you, in my opinion, that this decision was the right one to make; and not because I'm "following blindly" or because I was chosen for my beliefs on Suncoke. I stated my opinion (as I knew it at the time) during my interview and they chose me anyway. I am not a sheep and I take my role on this council as one of the single most important things I'll ever do. The gravity of the situation, the future of this city, and the protection of every single citizen of Monroe deserves no less than the very best I can do.

If you want to take me to task for supporting THIS piece of legislation; fine - I'm a big boy, I can take it. But if you believe that I voted the way I voted to just waste your money; you're wrong...it's quite the opposite - and it's a crying shame that I can't tell you why. UGH!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Ohhhhh... So either Mr Hickman didn't get the info or wasn't able to grasp the info????? Interesting.....
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

When they run out of money vote NO on a tax increase and let the state step in and throw this bunch out.
Go to Top of Page

Bretland

2880 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Mr Hickman got the same information and he voted NO. He can't tell us the details either.

Is Mr Hickman way off base or does he believe that perhaps we should cut our losses now and be happy with the results (if any) we've already achieved.

By the way, the Voice is a soapbox for the community. It's fortunate that we have it and it's fortunate that we have representatives like Doc that at least give us his honest opinion on most issues and his frustrating response on his issue.

I think - in the long run - Doc was an excellent choice for Council.

"There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those that don't."
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Spending On Suncoke Lawsuit vs Monroe Safety

We have a budget crisis which can only be resolved with cuts. Our greatest costs are police and fire.

Each dollar we spend on SunCoke, will take a dollar out of our budget.

That means instead of laying off one or two police and firemen, we will have to lay off three, four or five. So not only will Monroe be polluted beyond belief, we also won't be as safe.

We only have so much money, by 2014 we will have only about $100K. And that doesn't even take into account additional SunCoke spending. Further we risk losing again and having to pay court costs of the defendant.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

Happy HarperValley Rez

USA
1621 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I have no problem with Doc - we have spoke often and he knows how I feel. He was not the only one who voted yes. Doc also knows that he and I have different opinions on some issues but want the best for the community.
Your point below is exactly what I was pointing out and how I feel.
This forum gives me the right to express my concerns with issues I do not support. And I thank John for that.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Bretland[/i]
[br]Mr Hickman got the same information and he voted NO. He can't tell us the details either.

Is Mr Hickman way off base or does he believe that perhaps we should cut our losses now and be happy with the results (if any) we've already achieved.

By the way, the Voice is a soapbox for the community. It's fortunate that we have it and it's fortunate that we have representatives like Doc that at least give us his honest opinion on most issues and his frustrating response on his issue.

I think - in the long run - Doc was an excellent choice for Council.

Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Thanks Bob. My frustration isn't aimed at you; it's overall frustration with the entire thing. I absolutely detest everything about this situation between the city and Suncoke. I can't stand the process, I can't stand how it's diverting my attention from other things, I hate the division it's created, but the one thing that I can't stand the most is my inability to explain things.

The lack of communication between the city and our employers on this is driving me absolutely nuts. We have GOT to find a way to get some information out there. I truly believe that this council has gone FAR too long letting other people tell the story without telling it ourselves. I absolutely understand why there are such divergent opinions out there better than I think anyone else is this city does. I've had a LOT of "Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh" moments in the last month and a half that I would have otherwise never had.

We've gotta do something to at least TRY to explain things without violating a court order...that's the hardest part of all of this.
I hope we get there.
Go to Top of Page

jsnkraus

USA
10 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  12:52:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Doc I applaud your decision based on what you feel is right for the people of Monroe and not givng in to what may seem the popular choice. I am not saying you or Mr. Hickman is in the wrong but going against the grain and doing what you really beleive in is the right thing to do is a noble thing. If everyone had the forsight to do this I am sure we would have alot less problems!
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Doc[/i]
[br]It's TRULY a shame that I can't say a single damn thing about my reasoning and rationale behind all of this because I would LOVE to shout it from the mountain top; but I can't - and we all know why.

I've been in this position all of what...6 weeks now? I've spent every free moment getting up to speed on everything related to MCC and how we got to where we are. I can tell you first hand that it's no fun staying up almost every night until 3 AM reading legal documents that would make your eyes bleed and trying to make sense of any of it independently, without having discussions with the balance of council about all of this, for the simple reason of making an informed opinion free of undue influence.

It's easy to stand of the soapbox and proclaim that you'd vote one way or another and I accept that BUT you are doing so without having all of the information. I, unfortunately do...and that's not your fault and it's not my fault - it's simply the way it is.
The singlemost thought in my mind through all of this has been, and will continue to be, what is in the best interest of the people of Monroe - not a few of them - ALL of them.

I can tell you, in my opinion, that this decision was the right one to make; and not because I'm "following blindly" or because I was chosen for my beliefs on Suncoke. I stated my opinion (as I knew it at the time) during my interview and they chose me anyway. I am not a sheep and I take my role on this council as one of the single most important things I'll ever do. The gravity of the situation, the future of this city, and the protection of every single citizen of Monroe deserves no less than the very best I can do.

If you want to take me to task for supporting THIS piece of legislation; fine - I'm a big boy, I can take it. But if you believe that I voted the way I voted to just waste your money; you're wrong...it's quite the opposite - and it's a crying shame that I can't tell you why. UGH!!!!

Thanks Doc, I for one appreciate your service to this city.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:28:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by John Beagle[/i]
[br]

Spending On Suncoke Lawsuit vs Monroe Safety

We have a budget crisis which can only be resolved with cuts. Our greatest costs are police and fire.

Each dollar we spend on SunCoke, will take a dollar out of our budget.

That means instead of laying off one or two police and firemen, we will have to lay off three, four or five. So not only will Monroe be polluted beyond belief, we also won't be as safe.

We only have so much money, by 2014 we will have only about $100K. And that doesn't even take into account additional SunCoke spending. Further we risk losing again and having to pay court costs of the defendant.

So let me ask you this.

When that plant comes up to operation, and the home values in that part of the city get slammed down into the gutter even worse because no one wants to live next door to a pollution factory, what happens then?

Do you have any idea the amount of money we stand to lose in property taxes? Don't act like that isn't going to happen either, because it will. Take a good look around the existing coke plant and ask yourself if that is what you want Monroe to look like. Drive by the Haverhill plant sometime and as yourself the same question.

If you think we are in crisis now what happens when we DON'T fight.

I understand you are upset because the city removed your link, but that has little to do with this issue at the end of the day. This is about the future of Monroe and if we want it to go up in a plume of smoke.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Brief musical interlude.
Theme song for persons and entities who used to be in the fight. The right amount of decimal points is all it takes.

Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Is this suit winnable? What are the odds?

It seems pretty remote at this point.
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Dannyboy[/i]
[br]Is this suit winnable?
It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  1:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  2:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

"When that plant comes up to operation, and the home values in that part of the city get slammed down into the gutter even worse because no one wants to live next door to a pollution factory, what happens then?" cms

It won't matter if all our homes burn down because we laid off too many firemen.
It won't matter because crime will be rampant since we laid off too many police.

Slammed to the gutter? Can you quantify that? No you can't because you don't know.

Actually, nothing will happen right away. People will still live there. Home values have already taken a hit. Home values may decline, but not nearly as much as what you want to scare into everyone. Most people will stay in their homes. And that is a smart thing. In a few years, demand for housing in Monroe will pick up, and so will property values. Be realistic, don't say home values will drop to near zero. And don't include neighborhoods miles away from the plant for your financial impact study. Anyone can make up numbers to scare people. Financial estimates are way overblown.

Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  2:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Doc,

Thanks for expressing your frustration. I can assure you, you are not alone in your frustration.

Maybe your convinced we can win on appeal, but that is not a sure thing.

During these difficult financial times, you know we have to make every penny count. Since I don't see SunCoke as a sure thing, I think we should preserve our capital rather than risk it.

This lawsuit puts Monroe at odds with the Governor of Ohio, the County of Butler, our neighbors, even the president of the United States will add the economic value of SunCoke in his budget forecasts and financial accomplishments.

I would still support you because you are 'learning' the business of Monroe. Soon when you understand that Monroe will be having financial difficulties for a second time in two decades, then you may change your mind. If you move to an understanding that you are not spending your money, you are spending money that does not belong to you, then you may just spend it more wisely. [Recommended: Friedman Explains Spending]

Additionally, I believe you will not always go with the flow. And you are a good singer. That is what I like about You. 8675309

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Doc[/i]
[br]Thanks Bob. My frustration isn't aimed at you; it's overall frustration with the entire thing. I absolutely detest everything about this situation between the city and Suncoke. I can't stand the process, I can't stand how it's diverting my attention from other things, I hate the division it's created, but the one thing that I can't stand the most is my inability to explain things.

The lack of communication between the city and our employers on this is driving me absolutely nuts. We have GOT to find a way to get some information out there. I truly believe that this council has gone FAR too long letting other people tell the story without telling it ourselves. I absolutely understand why there are such divergent opinions out there better than I think anyone else is this city does. I've had a LOT of "Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhh" moments in the last month and a half that I would have otherwise never had.

We've gotta do something to at least TRY to explain things without violating a court order...that's the hardest part of all of this.
I hope we get there.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Kelley
Advanced Member

USA
6900 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  3:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Bob Kelley an AOL message  Send Bob Kelley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Dannyboy I'm going to comment on your post and then make a lot of other comments, none of which are directed directly at you so please understand I'm going to voice a very long opinion.

If the majority of Council didn't think it could be won, it would have been stopped a long time ago, if it ever got started. Each set of circumstances in this case bring a whole new set of decisions and paths to chose from. Mr. Hickman has chosen a path that he will have to defend if he is incorrect and the remainder have chosen likewise. All of us believe we are doing the right thing.

To make an assumption on what YOU would do without seeing the information for yourself says either the City and its residents are not worth the fight to you or you don't believe it will be an issue, either way its a predisposed notion that you would or would not support this. This city council has never been in the business of making decisions that support only a handful of people....ever.

John continues to shred me with paper cuts because I wont give any comment about HB5, I do not because I have not seen the finished product. People on both sides are talking about what it could be but until its finished and signed, no one really knows. No one can predict today with complete accuracy what impacts it will have to budgets, services or the people whom are involved until its finished. IMO its a complete disservice to this community and to the people involved to make a decision or comment without knowing what it is I'm commenting about.

Many of you posting here have stated that you have a great deal of respect for Suzi Rubin for what she did to get a school system up and running. You commend her for her research, focus on detail and for the diligence to fight a battle no one said she could win, a battle they said this town could not win. Has she lost her mind or lost that power to comprehend what she is reading? Do you believe she is doing it just for the thrill of spending the money? What about Anna Hale, do you believe she is dishonest or foolish or that she does not have absolutely the best interest of the City at hand or heart for that matter? Someone please explain to me what possible motive I or any other member of council could possibly have to intentionally take on this for no reason? Please....anyone.

If you have reasons not to support whichever side you support that are based on anything other than the best interest of this city, I will respect those completely but understand that's not what I was elected to do, not what any of us were elected to do, not what Steve was chosen to do. We are charged by oath of office and law of Ohio to govern in a way that supports the best interest of our residents and the City as a whole. I can't speak to Mr.Hickman's position other than to defend his right to vote the way he believes is right.

I have never made a decision I thought was not in the best interest of this City and its residents. At no time will I ever.

We have some restrictions about information due to ORC code. Other restrictions we have because court orders have been imposed on us to keep us from talking about what we now know. At some point you have to decide to either trust in the system and the people involved or not to. To those of you that already do, Thank you and to those of you that don't, I'm Sorry.

At the end of my life the only person that has to answer for my decisions is me and I wont have a problem with this one.

quote:
Originally posted by Dannyboy

Is this suit winnable? What are the odds?

It seems pretty remote at this point.

Email Me
City of Monroe web site
Planning Commission Info
Signup for email alerts
SmileyCentral.com
Go to Top of Page

Dannyboy

608 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  3:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

As for the fight itself, I don't think anyone disagrees that its a good one. No one wants a polluter in their backyard. Even if the suit fails, I would expect our leaders to continue to keep an eye on SC and report violations to the EPA. That's really the core issue: keeping pollution down.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  3:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]

It won't matter if all our homes burn down because we laid off too many firemen.
It won't matter because crime will be rampant since we laid off too many police.

and anyone can make statements not based in reality to scare people as well.
I am sure the pollution plant is going to be an enormous positive for home values over in this end of the city.

Who in their right mind would buy a house if it were that close to a pollution factory???? The way you talk, it sounds to me like you believe it will next to zero impact on the housing values. I disagree strongly.

"Slammed to the gutter" well it could mean lots of things. No I don't have an absolute figure, but what would it mean for the city to even lose 20-30% of that tax base. Just like you claim I don't know you don't know either. I am pretty certain it won't be listed as a positive, but it sounds to me like you think it won't mean much. I can't imagine a pollution plant would be a good thing; but then again when they up the tax rate and hit everyone harder I am sure you will be here to complain about that as well.

Hopefully by then, I will be long gone. I'm sure you will be doing a happy dance, and so will I. I'll be moving someplace where people value clean breathable air more than they do 55 jobs. Vermont perhaps, heck even the air in downtown Boston is better than it is in Monroe.

What do I know though, I often see people listing air pollution as one of the first things they seek out when choosing where to live. It's a big positive, who wouldn't want soot all over their deck and all the health problem that come along with breathing that air.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]

Additionally, I believe you will not always go with the flow. And you are a good singer. That is what I like about You. 8675309

Seriously? That's the best you can do? I don't care how well he sings. Does he care about Monroe, that is all I care about.

The answer from what I can see is unequivocally YES.

Could you be more passive aggressive? Do you know you are doing it or is it just how you are at your core?

You know if you had so much concern about all of these matters, maybe you should run for council yourself? I've said it many times, you have all the makings of a politician.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

In America, it takes cities such as Middletown and states such as Ohio, for places such as Vermont to exist.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Houndog[/i]
[br]In America, it takes cities such as Middletown and states such as Ohio, for places such as Vermont to exist.

that may be true, but in America things have changed over the last 50 years. What was our bread and butter 50 years ago will not be for the future.

We aren't the manufacturing capital of the world anymore, not will we ever be again. a focus on the future and developing green techologies and the jobs that come along with them is where the future is, it isn't in Steel. Places like Middletown and Youngstown are proof of that. I travel all over the rust belt, and what I see are towns that did not adapt and change with the times, and were left behind. Sad but true.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

When America stops producing steel, stick out your right ankle and allow them to shackle you to a sewing machine. That way you can spend eighteen hours a day cranking out sweat pants and tennis shoes for some nation that can still afford such luxuries.
Go to Top of Page

TheDude

497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]When America stops producing steel, stick out your right ankle and allow them to shackle you to a sewing machine. That was you can spend eighteen hours a day cranking out sweat pants and tennis shoes for some nation that can still afford such luxuries.

And unfortunately for our steel industry - japanese steel is superior :(

Look at all the steeltowns - they're dying. We are not an industrial nation anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  4:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by TheDude[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]When America stops producing steel, stick out your right ankle and allow them to shackle you to a sewing machine. That was you can spend eighteen hours a day cranking out sweat pants and tennis shoes for some nation that can still afford such luxuries.

And unfortunately for our steel industry - japanese steel is superior :(

Look at all the steeltowns - they're dying. We are not an industrial nation anymore.

Alright. I concede. With that said. What is all of the 'Green Technology' I keep hearing of?
Don't say Solar Panels. Because the production of Solar Panels includes some of the most dangerous chemicals and heavy metals known to man.
I am only thirty three, but have the mentality of an eighty year old. After voting for Mr. Obama I have yet to be convinced of all of the 'green' talk. America needs manufacturing. That cannot be disputed.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  7:16:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]
So let me ask you this.

When that plant comes up to operation, and the home values in that part of the city get slammed down into the gutter even worse because no one wants to live next door to a pollution factory, what happens then?

Do you have any idea the amount of money we stand to lose in property taxes? Don't act like that isn't going to happen either, because it will. Take a good look around the existing coke plant and ask yourself if that is what you want Monroe to look like. Drive by the Haverhill plant sometime and as yourself the same question.

I understand you are upset because the city removed your link, but that has little to do with this issue at the end of the day. This is about the future of Monroe and if we want it to go up in a plume of smoke.

The sky is falling chicken little.
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  7:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

That is funny.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  8:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bobpreston[/i]
[br]
quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]
So let me ask you this.

The sky is falling chicken little.

Drive by the middletown coke plant.

Drive by the haverhill plant.

I would maintain the sky fell there a long time ago, if you want Monroe to look like that then fine. I for one do not.

Unless of course we have any reason whatsoever to believe that the area surrounding our coke plant won't look like others...do you have any data or information to support such an idea? I didn't think so.

That coupled with the data released a few weeks back that increased air pollution leads to increased instance of heart attacks, I think there is plenty of good reason to want clean air and a clean city. I don't expect you to care though nor understand, it's most likely way over your head Bob.

As for the chicken little comment, it appears you also don't have a very firm grasp on childrens books either. I don't run around this place constantly predicting gloom and doom as others do. I don't see non-stop gloom and doom, but I do see this as a battle worth fighting. Your chicken little reference, while cute, simply put makes no sense and doens't apply to the story. I never took you for a very bright guy so I guess this is par for the course with you.

Go back to calling people names, you are much better at that compared to making literary references, even if we are talking about childrens books.
Go to Top of Page

Les Lofton
Average Member

1212 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  8:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I believe the damage that Suncoke will cause has been way overblown, that the money to fight it was a waste, and that council kowtowed to a group of vocal citizens. The blighted areas around AK weren't caused by air pollution. They are just like many other aging lower-income areas in this country.

It's almost worth the Great Depression, to learn how little our big men know.
-Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Houndog

USA
3689 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/09/2011 :  9:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

History Lesson for cmsquare.
My grandfather moved his family out of the area near the coke batteries 'inside the fence' before there were coke batteries 'inside the fence'.
Study Middletown Ohio History
Read True Steel. Find the site of the first open hearth furnace. You are in the home of Continuous Casting.
Research Project 600.
This area is much more interesting than you give it credit.
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2011 :  01:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I never said the history of the area wasn't interesting.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said though.

I don't wish to live in the past, I wish we would look toward the future.

Go to Top of Page

ThinkTank

98 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2011 :  06:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I planned to live here my whole life, but SunCoke will definitely change that. {shrug} Argue all you want, but that is how I feel. I would guess there there is a significant number of others living in Monroe that feel the same way. I feel bad if a few firefighters and police lose their jobs because of the money we are spending, but I would feel a lot worse having to live with SunCoke. The great thing about this country is that if you do not like what you are living next to, then you can move. I just hope I don't take too big of a hit trying to sell my house.

hello.
Go to Top of Page

Prada

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2011 :  08:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

did I hit a lil nerve this morning? Thank you to bob, Steve, Anna, Suzi and all council that supports the city of Monroe. We will work hard with you during your reelection.

Hick man once an instigator always an instigator, we will work harder against your reelection. As those that can't see the travesty to our city due to sun coke, they also couldn't see the travesty of electing you.
Go to Top of Page

Prada

245 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2011 :  08:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Do the replies get deleted due to being negative against instigator?
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/10/2011 :  08:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

No, we were training a new guy on handling abuse reports. It was a mistake, sorry about that. You have every right to express your opinion about a public official.

This site is dedicated to free speech. However, free speech doesn't mean you can say anything. This is a community and if someone in this community reports abuse, one of the moderators will take a look at the post to see if it should be edited or removed. The abuse button is a key in most edits.

Thanks for your post.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24