Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Monroe News
Administrator

1712 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2011 :  11:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

by Elizabeth Lolli, Monroe Schools Superintendent

The Monroe Local School District will be offering open enrollment for grades 1-12. There are limited spaces available for each grade level. All students will be selected on a first come, first serve basis. Students accepted as open enrollment students will have the opportunity to remain in Monroe Local Schools throughout their school years in accordance with district policy and guidelines. Open enrollment packets are available beginning April 1, 2011 at 8:00 AM at 500 Yankee Road. No packets will be accepted at the building level or distributed before April 1 at 8:00 AM. The district reserves the right to accept students based on the administrative guidelines set forth under the open enrollment policy. For questions please call the Superintendent’s Office at 513-539-2536.

Monroe, Ohio Breaking News

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/17/2011 :  11:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I thought they were fazing out open enrollment!!!!
Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  07:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by No money[/i]
[br]I thought they were fazing out open enrollment!!!!

That's what happens when the state abruptly takes millions of dollars away from you. You have to try and make it up somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  09:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

This actually makes me angry. I know there are extra dollars for open enrolled children, but I pay alot of money for my house and my taxes because I wanted my children in Monroe. My children have been squeezed into trailers and into class rooms with 27 other children but we have room for children outside our district? Are you kidding me? I just had this conversation with somone who's sister-in-law is a teacher in Monroe but doesn't live in Monroe.. her children go here. So, Monroe is good enough to pay her salary and educated her children but not to live here? The sister-in-law also lives in Middletown and said, "why should we pay more for our house or our taxes when we can still go to Monroe?"
Where are these kids going? Why do you think it's okay to allow children to stay here THROUGHOUT THEIR SCHOOL YEARS? This has to be one of the strangest decisions I've ever seen... Could someone please explain to me how we don't have room for our own children but we're not going to allow other kids the opportunity to come and guarantee their spots?
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  11:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

There should be a $3000/year fee included. I am with wifeofbrownsfan. All the crying about overcrowded classes and the school is just packing in more and the non-taxpayers are getting the benefits.
Vote no on all future levies and send a clear message.
Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  11:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by bobpreston[/i]
[br]There should be a $3000/year fee included. I am with wifeofbrownsfan. All the crying about overcrowded classes and the school is just packing in more and the non-taxpayers are getting the benefits.

And what is that clear message? If you do some research, Monroe is not the only school district looking to do this.
Go to Top of Page

ohiostorm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  12:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

So you are suggesting that you should vote against funding for the schools so all the kids suffer because of a decision to bring in additional money into the district without adding any cost. Does that really make sense to you? I understand that crowded classrooms are not ideal but the new reality is there will be funding cuts from the state and fereal level. If the board can make a decision to bring in additional funds using "Open Enrollment" without adding any additional costs then they should do that. It makes good economic sense. You suggest voting down levies? Punish all the kids for a decision that brings more money to the district without adding a dime to costs.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  12:51:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

well have them out of town kids parents pay for the next school you want to build.
Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  12:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Those out of town kids parents will be paying to help keep the one we have functioning.
Go to Top of Page

ohiostorm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  1:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I do not have figures in front of me "Bob" but I believe that state and federal money helped build the current buildings. Also those that work in Monroe but do not live there also contribute to this. So in some ways "them out of town kids parents" helped pay for the current school building, and they will also help pay for the next building.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  1:12:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Funny I have no kids in that place and I have to pay to keep it running and to build new schools. Sounds like the out of towners are getting a pretty good deal. I will always vote NO on the waste this district continues to have. Charge people more to come from out of town or the residents may just go the way of little miami district.
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  1:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

From a newspaper article:

"On average, each enrolled student is worth about $5,500 to a school district."
Go to Top of Page

ohiostorm
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  1:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Well Bob, I am glad that other folks did not think that way when you had kids in school. I am sorry that you feel that way and want to drive down your property value and punish the children of your community. I am sorry that you do not see that income FOR the district with no additional expense paid out is a good thing for the community. I disagree with your outlook but I wish you peace in your life.
Go to Top of Page

John Beagle
Advanced Member

USA
16025 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  1:57:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit John Beagle's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Here is a good thread on Open Enrollment and here Open enrollment busing

Pay particular attention to Tom Birdwell's posts. He has allot of good information in there.

monroe open enrollment - 3 yrs ago
monroe open enrollment - 3 yrs ago

then there was this:
Busing for open enrollment students? - 5 yrs ago

and this goodie:
Busing for open enrollment students? - 5 yrs ago - good info from loaner288

Use our new seach feature and type Open Enrollment There are quite a few results.

"I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" #BillCosby
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  2:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

The facts still stand, schools takes in OE kids, schools says we are overcrowded, school cries we need new school because we are overcrowded, levy passes because residence are sheep, school builds new school and charges tax payers xxxxxmillions of dollars, school allows more OE students that dont pay for the building and yes do help with operating cost, school spends extra money to bus in OE students, school cries because operating budget is low, school buys more property for over the market price, tax payer still getting screwed.

That massive run on sentence brought to you by the failure of public school teachers.
Go to Top of Page

Doc
Advanced Member

USA
10310 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  2:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]That massive run on sentence brought to you by the failure of public school teachers.

Here...I got you something.

Interpersonal Skills
CHAMPION
Go to Top of Page

mom1505

28 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  2:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I hope everyone that supports this is also happy when all these OE students take your students (who live in Monroe) spots in the ALPS programs, Cheer Squad or the Basket Ball team.
Go to Top of Page

bobpreston

1641 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  2:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

LOL
Go to Top of Page

alum95

USA
90 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  4:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

My family moved to Monroe from Middletown in 2008 for our kids and their education. There were several more houses in our price range if we had been willing to stay in Middletown. I am very happy that we bought here but I am extremely bothered by the open enrollment policy.
Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  7:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Monroe may not be the only school looking into this but they said they were fazing it out, now they want to cheat the students that already live and go to Monroe school, and yes they have been cheated, some open enrolled students got book and lockers when some of the REAL MONROE STUDENTS had to wait. "Again it's the almighty dollar that is most important"!!!!
quote:
[i]Originally posted by slim[/i]
[br]
quote:
[br]There should be a $3000/year fee included. I am with wifeofbrownsfan. All the crying about overcrowded classes and the school is just packing in more and the non-taxpayers are getting the benefits.

And what is that clear message? If you do some research, Monroe is not the only school district looking to do this.

Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  7:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Bob I will NEVER vote yes for any type of levy and that began a long time ago, the city isn't the only council that waste money.
quote:

Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

and who paid for the wonderful unnecessary sports complex.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by ohiostorm[/i]
[br]I do not have figures in front of me "Bob" but I believe that state and federal money helped build the current buildings. Also those that work in Monroe but do not live there also contribute to this. So in some ways "them out of town kids parents" helped pay for the current school building, and they will also help pay for the next building.

Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/18/2011 :  8:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110317/NEWS0102/303170034/Much-unknown-about-Kasich-s-school-budget-?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|News|p
Go to Top of Page

terry

USA
77 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit terry's Homepage  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

How many kids are we planning to pack into these classrooms? How many classrooms are already at 25? Because I believe anything over 25 students the teachers get paid additional money. Somebody can elaborate on that amount. So if we plan to go over that number, are we really making money? Will there be a cap on the number of kids per classroom?
Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  4:44:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Sure they were phasing out OE. That was always their goal from day one. However, be reasonable in your expectations

A. No one knows from year to year to year about state and federal funding
B. This year the cuts will be deeper
C. Community made it clear on the last levy, "no"
D. If you are concerned about you're child competing with the OE kids. Learning about competition and how to deal with it is a life skill
E. Without OE I would guess some of the programs would shrink or go away. Would that be better for your child?
F. I'm sure Mr. Birdwell, Irwin, Ms. Rubin and other current B.O.E. members could detail how the district's hands are tied to some degree on how the money can be spent and the pool of money is getting smaller.
G. Your kids will have to compete with other kids at some point, why not now?

Drastic times call for drastic measures. The school's choices will always be wrong because:
A. it may impact your child
B. The myth that waste is rampant at MLS (it is not)
C. We're all strapped and it's tough
D. Bob Preston has no kids in the school district
E. Everyone seems to think they can have more for less
F. as far as I can see, while not the perfect solution, looks like a low impact decision on the community.

If Monroe wants to stay a small, insulated district with no OE students, then that will cost a few more dollars. You gotta' pick your priorities.

Under NCLB - Jacque Cousteau did not have enough education to teach your child Marine Biology
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  5:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Didn't our last levy pass? I thought it did. Did I miss something? Maybe I am confusing it with my wife's last levy.

FYI

I don't believe Tom is on the board any longer. He didn't run last election cycle. He was no doubt instrumental is many things Monroe schools has accomplished.

Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  5:18:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by cmsquare[/i]
[br]Didn't our last levy pass? I thought it did. Did I miss something? Maybe I am confusing it with my wife's last levy.

FYI

I don't believe Tom is on the board any longer. He didn't run last election cycle. He was no doubt instrumental is many things Monroe schools has accomplished.

Sorry for the confusion. I meant, tom, Mike OR the current BOE. Didn't mean to imply they were current BOE members. Yet, they have quite a depth of knowledge regarding the financial aspects of Ohio Education

The last levy was just a conversion, not for an increase in funding aside from an increase >if< property values go up and >if< other variables occur it would enable the district to receives additional funds. Funding for a new elem. did not fly as I remember.

Under NCLB - Jacque Cousteau did not have enough education to teach your child Marine Biology
Go to Top of Page

cmsquare
Advanced Member

USA
6325 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

That makes sense as far as the levy, I knew we passed something but you are correct it didn't result in a tax increase.

I wasn't questioning Tom's depth of knowledge as far as these things go, he has certainly shed light on some very complicated issues here more than once.

Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  8:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

the first part of being reasonable is for the kids that actually live in Monroe get a locker and get their books ON TIME, that in the past did NOT happen, that is being reasonable.
quote:
[i]Originally posted by logicgate[/i]
[br]Sure they were phasing out OE. That was always their goal from day one. However, be reasonable in your expectations

D. If you are concerned about you're child competing with the OE kids. Learning about competition and how to deal with it is a life skill
E. Without OE I would guess some of the programs would shrink or go away. Would that be better for your child?
F. I'm sure Mr. Birdwell, Irwin, Ms. Rubin and other current B.O.E. members could detail how the district's hands are tied to some degree on how the money can be spent and the pool of money is getting smaller.

Drastic times call for drastic measures. The school's choices will always be wrong because:
F. as far as I can see, while not the perfect solution, looks like a low impact decision on the community.

If Monroe wants to stay a small, insulated district with no OE students, then that will cost a few more dollars. You gotta' pick your priorities.

Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  9:09:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]the first part of being reasonable is for the kids that actually live in Monroe get a locker and get their books ON TIME, that in the past did NOT happen, that is being reasonable.

In the past

A. once?
B. when the school first opened?
C. Every year since?
D. Once or twice and since corrected?

Go to Top of Page

Ursosju25
Advanced Member

7981 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/19/2011 :  10:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Sure they were phasing out OE. That was always their goal from day one. However, be reasonable in your expectations

Letter D made me chuckle...I agree with OE simply because funding is being stripped by the state and schools need money without going to the voters. OE is just one of those viable options at this time.

Check out my weather Facebook page: www.facebook.com/SouthwestOhioWeather

If you are looking to get in shape visit:
www.anytimefitness.com/gyms/1662/monroe-oh-45050
or shoot me an email!
Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/20/2011 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I doubt people count when it affects their child, once or twice is to many times, they should only be focusing on the students that live in Monroe.
quote:
[br]
quote:
[br]the first part of being reasonable is for the kids that actually live in Monroe get a locker and get their books ON TIME, that in the past did NOT happen, that is being reasonable.

In the past

A. once?
C. Every year since?

Go to Top of Page

logicgate

538 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/20/2011 :  9:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]I doubt people count when it affects their child, once or twice is to many times, they should only be focusing on the students that live in Monroe.
quote:
[br]
quote:

In the past

A. once?
C. Every year since?

So if the schools ties up some of their/your money temporarily or permanently on books and other items they may not need that's okay?

They're not going to get it right every time. Seems like an underlying expectation by many residents. I just think it is an unrealistic expectation. Yet that works out well on the voice and for finding blame, but not solutions

Go to Top of Page

retiredmilitary
Average Member

USA
1099 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  07:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]
quote:

In the past

A. once?
C. Every year since?

From the words of my kids in three different grades. The two older it happens every year. Not fixed.

What is the amount of money does it bring to the school?

What is the advantage of brining kids to Monroe from outside cities?

And if a levy is passed in Monroe what effects on the OE kids does it have?
Just want to see answers and numbers.
Go to Top of Page

blamed

USA
47 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  11:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

We moved to Monroe to get away from "other" schools and the kids. I agree, why should I pay for this house, taxes, HOA's, fund raisers when I could spend 1/2 that, live in Middletown and my kids still get the benefits of going to Monroe.
Go to Top of Page

mom1505

28 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  12:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I would be willing to pay more for MONROE kids to get more. So I AM willing to pick my priorities. That is one of the reasons I moved to Monroe. Smaller class sizes etc. There is plenty of time for children to learn competition............and again one of the reasons we moved to Monroe from our much less expensive house with much lower taxes!
Go to Top of Page

slim

627 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  12:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[i]Originally posted by mom1505[/i]
[br]I would be willing to pay more for MONROE kids to get more. So I AM willing to pick my priorities. That is one of the reasons I moved to Monroe. Smaller class sizes etc. There is plenty of time for children to learn competition............and again one of the reasons we moved to Monroe from our much less expensive house with much lower taxes!

Your small classrooms are soon to be gone everywhere because of what Kasich is pushing through. Districts can no longer afford to do such.
Go to Top of Page

sylvainm

USA
41 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  1:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Pardon the ignorance, but my kids had been home schooled up until this school year. What is open enrollment? Aren't my kids automaticaly enrolled in the next grade up?
Go to Top of Page

No money

2236 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  10:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

Looks like Middletown is finally going to be doing what all schools should be getting prepared to do according to the article in the paper:
"Do more with less!"
Go to Top of Page

James Little
Advanced Member

11497 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/21/2011 :  11:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

quote:
[br]Looks like Middletown is finally going to be doing what all schools should be getting prepared to do according to the article in the paper:
"Do more with less!"

Good point TH
Go to Top of Page

wifeofbrownsfan

USA
774 Posts

Thumbs Up This Post
Posted - 03/22/2011 :  12:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote Report Abuse

I moved to Monroe knowing I would pay more for taxes but also knowing my children would receive a better education. I moved AWAY from Middletown and AWAY from the kids that came with Middletown.
I still don't know where these kids are going...my girls already complain about being too crowded and when one kid is sick her teacher said, " you're all going to be sick now because they pack so many of you in here"
I would be angry if my child got knocked out of a spot for anything over an open enrolled child and you all should be, too! It's great that an open enrolled child =$5000 but aren't mine worth something, too? Isn't that way they HAVE to go to school during count week because funding is based off the number of kids enrolled?
And... how can a district guarantee a spot for children for their entire years in school? Why would you want to anyway? It's one thing to have kids that live in your district but to guarantee spots? CRAZY!!!! Almost as crazy as the residents of Monroe for not taking the easy way and just moving to another,cheaper, district and open enrolling...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Jump To:
The Voice
Counterfeits at the Flea Market Again
NEW VOICE FORUM
Voter fraud may not actually happen...
A Night of Praise
Police Briefs 10/24